• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Rainy Dog

why the hell are the footsteps so low in the game?

Simple. So those that constantly sprint around with the in game sound off and their own music blaring out instead are not disadvantaged against those that actually try and pay attention to the games audio and play tactically.

Raiden

Banned
The more I think about it, the worse this game is.

1.The lag compensation and netcode in general-
I can't tell you the number of times I've had a party break up in this game. I seriously can't. There's the whole matchmaking bug where it looks to balance teams as well but that'll probably get fixed. Then we have matches where everybody and I mean everybody has a red bar and the games are unplayable. I've had that happen five or so times and holy fuck is it frustrating. Then there is the lag compensation. I personally haven't had too bad time because of it but I can definitely tell it's there and it's annoying due to the spamming of the SMGs.

2.The Maps-
They're as a whole, not as bad as MW3 but they're not much better either. All of them are pretty much CQC meaning the SMGs have an ungodly advantage over pretty much everything. I'm not opposed to multiple entrances for a spot so that's fine, however the amount of headglitching in this game is insane. There are maps where you literally have chokepoints full of headglitching, case in point being Slums. Also since the maps are so damn small, they make Objective based games, explosion heaven. Domination is close to near constant explosions going off in the background.

3.The Quickscoping-
Somehow this is worse than ever. Even in MW2 or MW3, it wasn't that bad or prevalent. It's mostly due to the whole OHK for any bodypart from a sniper making them godawful.

4.Weapon Balancing-
The SMGs are king. Yes there are times when the ARs can be useful but in general, you will get rushed and you better pray you have a SMG. The firing rate, accuracy, lack of recoil, and damage make them ridiculously good compared to the other classes. No other COD was ever this bad and it truly has become a spray and pray game.

5.Scorestreaks-
I like the concept of them but they made the higher streaks way too inaccessible. There will probably be a handful of people that will ever call in the dogs legit or get the swarm without a carepackage. That poses a problem as nobody will bother trying and just stick to the lower streaks which means you have a plethora of UVAs everywhere as nobody is going to take a risk on getting some insane number of kills in a row, especially when the points per kill are reduced in objective type games.

6.The Unlock System-
Ghost being level 55 is bullshit and highly biased against lower ranked players. It seems they did it to avoid camping but people used it in legit ways for flanking and this really fucked over a lot of people. It's insanely stupid. The rest of the system is a complete step down from Black Ops 1 which let you do what you want, when you wanted to.

7.Spawn System-
COD has never had a great spawn system but this is probably the worst of them all, even of MW3. There have been times when people have spawned 10 feet in front of me and I shot them in the back. I've never seen it this blatant before. It's a complete mess and on certain gametypes such as Hardpoint, it becomes a gigantic clusterfuck because the game doesn't know how to handle spawning people away from the action and not directly in someone's line of sight.

In short, the multiplayer is the worst since MW2 and MW2 only takes the lead because of the exploits and glitches. Many of the above have been problems in prior COD games but it's worse than ever in BO2.

Thank you for saving me 50 euros. This is the first time i'll not buy a COD since Modern Warfare 1.

I'll wait for a series "reboot" like what Modern Warfare 1 did to prior COD games. I'll wait for that to happen.

Time for a new James Bond, people are tired of the old one.

I was playing a game the other day and I swear something kicked in to make me play worse I was 17-4 and kicking ass I ended up 19-15 I didn't feel I was playing any different just I noticed a lot more lag.

CTE

Lag hasn't been an issue for me on the West Coast here. I'm having fun for the first time in years with COD. Too bad the feeling isn't mutual it seems.

Treyarch is running all the servers this time, so no admins to decide how the game is played. The servers felt a bit laggy when the game launched, but I've had 2 days of lag-free play so maybe it's gotten better. I'd wait for more impressions on that.

The only improvements here are related to performance (you can hit 200fps), controls (kb/mouse feels amazing), and actual servers. Everything else depends on who you ask. I am having a great time with friends. I'm enjoying the maps, and I'm loving my current go-to class. I don't know if I'd have as much fun without my group.

Ugh, that sucks. There goes some of my hope..

Lag hasn't been an issue for me on the West Coast here. I'm having fun for the first time in years with COD. Too bad the feeling isn't mutual it seems.

I've been getting one-shotted, absolutely destroyed by guys coming around a corner when I'm headglitching and ADS at the corner, and all sorts of other shenanigans. That's with "best connection" filter.

It's a shame because I think the game is pretty good. Pick 10 is really satisfying to me and the guns seem fairly balanced. There's a few shitty maps (Turbine, Hijacked) but for small maps, the rest seem pretty intelligently designed. Netcode is really holding it back for me. I just can't seem to win fair, or even advantageous 1v1s ever. I've been 2.0+ K/D in other CoDs so I know how to play the game.

Say what you will about MW2-but that games netcode was glorious. Ran smooth as butter and hit detection was perfect. The problem was weapon/perk balancing and abuse which probally would have been fixed if the whole IW debacle hadn't gone down.

Agreed. MW2's netcode was about as good as it can get, and I don't say that because of nostalgia. I really didn't like MW2 outside of abusing exploits to destroy people.

Bottom line is, good netcode is essential for a game like CoD where death comes so quick. MW2 had great netcode despite being one of the most "lethal" CoDs so it can be done.

Say what you will about MW2-but that games netcode was glorious. Ran smooth as butter and hit detection was perfect. The problem was weapon/perk balancing and abuse which probally would have been fixed if the whole IW debacle hadn't gone down.

Yeah if only 1887's were nerfed earlier, hacks and exploits were handled quicker and of course no noob tubes it would of been the best cod mp for me.

Sojgat

The more I think about it, the worse this game is.

1.The lag compensation and netcode in general-
I can't tell you the number of times I've had a party break up in this game. I seriously can't. There's the whole matchmaking bug where it looks to balance teams as well but that'll probably get fixed. Then we have matches where everybody and I mean everybody has a red bar and the games are unplayable. I've had that happen five or so times and holy fuck is it frustrating. Then there is the lag compensation. I personally haven't had too bad time because of it but I can definitely tell it's there and it's annoying due to the spamming of the SMGs.

2.The Maps-
They're as a whole, not as bad as MW3 but they're not much better either. All of them are pretty much CQC meaning the SMGs have an ungodly advantage over pretty much everything. I'm not opposed to multiple entrances for a spot so that's fine, however the amount of headglitching in this game is insane. There are maps where you literally have chokepoints full of headglitching, case in point being Slums. Also since the maps are so damn small, they make Objective based games, explosion heaven. Domination is close to near constant explosions going off in the background.

3.The Quickscoping-
Somehow this is worse than ever. Even in MW2 or MW3, it wasn't that bad or prevalent. It's mostly due to the whole OHK for any bodypart from a sniper making them godawful.

4.Weapon Balancing-
The SMGs are king. Yes there are times when the ARs can be useful but in general, you will get rushed and you better pray you have a SMG. The firing rate, accuracy, lack of recoil, and damage make them ridiculously good compared to the other classes. No other COD was ever this bad and it truly has become a spray and pray game.

5.Scorestreaks-
I like the concept of them but they made the higher streaks way too inaccessible. There will probably be a handful of people that will ever call in the dogs legit or get the swarm without a carepackage. That poses a problem as nobody will bother trying and just stick to the lower streaks which means you have a plethora of UVAs everywhere as nobody is going to take a risk on getting some insane number of kills in a row, especially when the points per kill are reduced in objective type games.

6.The Unlock System-
Ghost being level 55 is bullshit and highly biased against lower ranked players. It seems they did it to avoid camping but people used it in legit ways for flanking and this really fucked over a lot of people. It's insanely stupid. The rest of the system is a complete step down from Black Ops 1 which let you do what you want, when you wanted to.

7.Spawn System-
COD has never had a great spawn system but this is probably the worst of them all, even of MW3. There have been times when people have spawned 10 feet in front of me and I shot them in the back. I've never seen it this blatant before. It's a complete mess and on certain gametypes such as Hardpoint, it becomes a gigantic clusterfuck because the game doesn't know how to handle spawning people away from the action and not directly in someone's line of sight.

In short, the multiplayer is the worst since MW2 and MW2 only takes the lead because of the exploits and glitches. Many of the above have been problems in prior COD games but it's worse than ever in BO2.

1. I believe you and everyone else here that this is a big problem, but I haven't experienced it much. I've been using the best search option, if I ever have below three bars I quit, if more than one other person in the match has below 3 bars I quit. My experience has been good, other than the weird hitches and a couple server errors where the game just crashes back to the matchmaking screen.

2. I disagree. I think most of them are great, lots of options for using all the equipment (I'm playing with friends at times so there's some teamwork happening). Drone, Raid, Turbine, and Cargo are all fantastic. Express, Carrier and Meltdown are also pretty good (I seem to do really well on these maps is the main reason really). Also just from a visual standpoint everything is way more appealing than all of MW3's walled in on all sides rat mazes.

3. Quickscoping is still in the game. I get killed most by either spawning in front of one, or they behind me. Spawn system (especially in free-for-all) seems to be the big problem.

4. SMGs are good, but I barely use them at all and I do fine (MP7 is a nice gun though). A lot of other guns are perfectly viable/better options in many cases.

5. I think I agree with you totally about this. However UAVs everywhere is great for me since I'm running 2 black hats with most of my classes:)

6. The problem with Black Ops was I unlocked exactly what I wanted and then didn't care to experiment more. I think I lost interest faster than with MW1 & 2 because of this. Blops2 hamster wheel seems designed to keep more people playing longer I guess. It looks to take some cues from Bf3, just keep unlocking shit forever.

7. It reminds me a lot of BF3's spawn system, which means it's fucking awful.

Animator

Love the game, love the maps. This is the best cod since cod 4 for me.

Also it runs absolutely flawless on the PC, I had no lag, no host migration crap like in all the cod's before (thank you ded servers).

eek5

YES! FFA's spawn system is exactly like how BF3's TDM or whatever used to be (not sure if it's still like that since I haven't played it yet). It's fucking terrible.

All the matches I've won I just circle around where I spawn and kill people who spawn at that spot later in the game. Shit is completely messed up. I hope they fix it because right now it's not enjoyable at all.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OMG fuck this game so hard. This is the shittiest, crappiest, most annoying fucking campaign in COD history. And whoever invented those strike force missions needs to jump off a fucking bridge.

Makoto

MW2 had the best netcode of the bunch. And I have to agree with the above, about half of my kill cams actually show what I actually did.

This whole 'lag compensation' garbage just screams trying too hard. It doesn't work right. Give us Dedis.
LOL right, acti is waay too cheap
Activision's dedicated servers won't resolve much. If you get anything below 4 bars, the quality becomes comparable to MW2 PC, which had the worst netcode of any CoD on the platform (which I guess says more about what console player have to put up with). BO2 PC nearly gets there when you're not in a 4 bar server.

Sojgat

OMG fuck this game so hard. This is the shittiest, crappiest, most annoying fucking campaign in COD history. And whoever invented those strike force missions needs to jump off a fucking bridge.

I didn't care much for the strike force missions, or the flashback stuff, but I loved all the story missions set in the future. It was almost like a different game.

Went back and checked my stats for Black Ops and MW3. My K/D was around 1.6 and 1.7

In Black Ops 2?

life is unfair. It's definitely more balanced and to keep a higher KD, you'll have to play smarter. I was at a 2.7 on BO1 and I just managed to get my KD up to a 2.0 in this game so it's just the approach to the game needs to be different .

Also this is probably my favorite COD since MW1.

Sethos

Banned
1. I believe you and everyone else here that this is a big problem, but I haven't experienced it much. I've been using the best search option, if I ever have below three bars I quit, if more than one other person in the match has below 3 bars I quit. My experience has been good, other than the weird hitches and a couple server errors where the game just crashes back to the matchmaking screen.

2. I disagree. I think most of them are great, lots of options for using all the equipment (I'm playing with friends at times so there's some teamwork happening). Drone, Raid, Turbine, and Cargo are all fantastic. Express, Carrier and Meltdown are also pretty good (I seem to do really well on these maps is the main reason really). Also just from a visual standpoint everything is way more appealing than all of MW3's walled in on all sides rat mazes.

3. Quickscoping is still in the game. I get killed most by either spawning in front of one, or they behind me. Spawn system (especially in free-for-all) seems to be the big problem.

4. SMGs are good, but I barely use them at all and I do fine (MP7 is a nice gun though). A lot of other guns are perfectly viable/better options in many cases.

5. I think I agree with you totally about this. However UAVs everywhere is great for me since I'm running 2 black hats with most of my classes:)

6. The problem with Black Ops was I unlocked exactly what I wanted and then didn't care to experiment more. I think I lost interest faster than with MW1 & 2 because of this. Blops2 hamster wheel seems designed to keep more people playing longer I guess. It looks to take some cues from Bf3, just keep unlocking shit forever.

Yeah, I can agree with this.

1) Lag compensation and the game working against the host is my only true complaint because I've seen it, felt it and been frustrated by it.

2) The maps are a little up in the air, I might have said they have a lot of routes but after playing some more, I've found ways to block off or hold several areas once you get to know the maps. I love the style in many of the maps, love the atmosphere and general layout - They are smaller yes but it's not that bad, I would however like to see some bigger DLC maps.

3) Haven't seen or been quickscoped at all, granted I'm playing HC S&D but it was really popular in previous games but in this, it rarely ever happens when I play.

4) SMGs are really great because a lot of the map encounters happen in tight spaces, then CQB weapons will obviously win. However that does not mean they are the end all weapons. ARs are super deadly when used right, plus they have the advantage of long range kills. Even in HC, SMGs tend to get several hit markers on ranged targets where as ARs can kill in one or two shots.

5) I like the new system. No more bullshit going on ALL THE TIME. Now you won't have to deal with all those end-tier streaks that just annihilate you and kills the morale on your team. However I would have loved to have seen the UAV at a higher tier, because it's so powerful now with the Ghost change.

6) Agree with the above. I lost interest in Black Ops 1 SO fast, mind-numbingly boring to just buy your attachments right out of the box and in 2 levels I'm bored. Already now, I have used weapons far, far longer than I ever would have in Black Ops 1 because there's so many stages; The raw stage of no attachments, take the challenge of the ironsight and enjoy the noise of the weapon. Then you get scopes, then laser, grips and silencer which changes the weapon again. So many stages to enjoy in just a single weapon and you are 'forced' through it, love that.

7) Can't comment on that.

life is unfair. It's definitely more balanced and to keep a higher KD, you'll have to play smarter. I was at a 2.7 on BO1 and I just managed to get my KD up to a 2.0 in this game so it's just the approach to the game needs to be different .

Also this is probably my favorite COD since MW1.

Yes I should play smarter. Next time I die I'll sure not to spawn 4 feet in front of the guy who just killed me.

LegoDad

Went back and checked my stats for Black Ops and MW3. My K/D was around 1.6 and 1.7

In Black Ops 2?

MW 2 - 2.0, BO - 2.2, MW3 - 2.5 , BO2 - 2.35 ( and only going up)

SMGs are overpowered, but you just have to learn to play with sight lines is you use an AR. Keep as much distance as possible... The FAL, if you can aim, is beastly. Been going 22-0, 27-1, etc. all night with it, since I just unlocked it.

I've had less lag issues than MW3 so far, and I have a pretty crappy internet connection of 5 mbps, With MW2 and BO I used to have a 30 mbps connection and it plays the same now as it did then.

Once you learn how the game plays and how to get your K/D up, you'll realize how great this game is, besides the issues with matchmaking which take forever to get a match at the beginning with a big group.

This is easily the most fun I've had on a COD game since MW2, and I loved BO1.

Edit: As for spawn points, they have been good to me, always spawn me as far away as possible from the other team, once in awhile it won't, but nothing is perfect, the worst map for spawning though, is the Cruise Ship, you can spawn camp it all day since it's too small.

MW 2 - 2.0, BO - 2.2, MW3 - 2.5 , BO2 - 2.35 ( and only going up)

SMGs are overpowered, but you just have to learn to play with sight lines is you use an AR. Keep as much distance as possible... The FAL, if you can aim, is beastly. Been going 22-0, 27-1, etc. all night with it, since I just unlocked it.

I've had less lag issues than MW3 so far, and I have a pretty crappy internet connection of 5 mbps, With MW2 and BO I used to have a 30 mbps connection and it plays the same now as it did then.

Once you learn how the game plays and how to get your K/D up, you'll realize how great this game is, besides the issues with matchmaking which take forever to get a match at the beginning with a big group.

This is easily the most fun I've had on a COD game since MW2, and I loved BO1.

Edit: As for spawn points, they have been good to me, always spawn me as far away as possible from the other team, once in awhile it won't, but nothing is perfect, the worst map for spawning though, is the Cruise Ship, you can spawn camp it all day since it's too small.

Lag compensation is for people with terrible connections.

New emblem.

I used this youtube video for most of it but added the combat axe and more blood.

6Wgcw.jpg

I think the metagame on the PS3 has started to calm down a little bit. Don't get bullshit spawns nearly as much, firefights feel like less of clusterfucks, and I can actually predict routes to a certain degree now. Most of the times tonight when spawns were weird was because I tried to push too far into the enemy spawn.

LegoDad

Lag compensation is for people with terrible connections.

Nah, I hated MW3, the lag was unbearable. BO2 I have no issues.. MW3 lag compensation is supposed to be much greater.

I think the metagame on the PS3 has started to calm down a little bit. Don't get bullshit spawns nearly as much, firefights feel like less of clusterfucks, and I can actually predict routes to a certain degree now. Most of the times tonight when spawns were weird was because I tried to push too far into the enemy spawn.

This. It seems that people have learned the maps, and now I can predict where people are going and actually get a flow on each map.

JimFear

Banned
my connection is a 60mb/s. Is this because of the lag compensation that i always have the feeling everyone can move before i can move my character when a game is started?

Sethos

Banned
my connection is a 60mb/s. Is this because of the lag compensation that i always have the feeling everyone can move before i can move my character when a game is started?

Lag compensation is regarding hitboxes;

Lag_compensation.jpg

Basically means the game calculates and predicts where you are, based on ping and algorithms for the other players. That can work seriously against you, like going behind a wall on your screen but the other player sees you as further back, shoots you, the game confirms that as a kill based on his shots and you can die well beyond that wall.

But I suppose that same algorithm can make it look like people are faster out of spawn than you.

Hence why it sucks to be host because you are slapped with the worst of the lag compensation on yourself. People with the worst connections have the biggest advantage pretty much.

nbraun80

Nah, I hated MW3, the lag was unbearable. BO2 I have no issues.. MW3 lag compensation is supposed to be much greater.

This. It seems that people have learned the maps, and now I can predict where people are going and actually get a flow on each map.

what he's saying is the shittier your connection the better the advantage you'll get with BO2's lag comp.

El_Chino

If it wasn't for those awful strike force missions this campaign could have easily matched the original BLOP's campaign. The story was better then what I was expecting and I liked the fact they gave you choices (somewhat). My only complaint is that I didn't like the repetitive "Let's try catching Menedez and fail missions" I thought those were a bit repetitive. Their vision of the future was a nice touch though considering were just 13 years away haha. All in all it was a better than expected campaign, now it's off to multiplayer BUT i might hold off until they patch things up a bit, Until then I have Halo 4 to keep me busy.

JHall

I shouldn't be punished for having better Internet than others. Looks like I'm going to be playing in my backyard on wi-fi so I don't get bullshitted with this awful compensation.

Sethos

Banned
I shouldn't be punished for having better Internet than others. Looks like I'm going to be playing in my backyard on wi-fi so I don't get bullshitted with this awful compensation.

It's basically their response to the host advantage of old. So instead of one player getting an advantage, he now gets a big disadvantage. Really is a brilliant and well thought out move. They basically took the turd from one end of the field and placed it in the other end.

Shady859

Level 51, probably it's the double exp but it seems like i'm ranking up hella fast! Had a absolute blast tonight played for 5 hours before I realized it and improved my K/D by .20
Hmmm I wonder if I start downloading a bunch of stuff as I play if my K/D will grow faster? Half being serious, i've got 20 mb/s internet. I have my 360 hardwired as well i'll test running it over wi-fi.

What headset everyone using? I'm on 360, I sold my TB Ear Force Deltas several months ago. Probably gonna get a set of X12's on black friday for $35 if I can. Are they any good? I know they are stereo and not surround.. Deltas were awesome but stupid expensive.

This game is so damn frustrating. What a fucking mess. Nothing like Black Ops 1 (except for the shit hit detection that Treyarch can't seem to figure out after 2 years).

antti-la

What a nice CoD game for a change. Having a bit hard time following wtf is going on in the story line though. So many names and things happening at once and so much referencing to the first black ops game, which I don't remember almost anything.

Rant:

So I'm on one of missions where you're at Menedez's place.

Play all the way through loooong mission, just getting to the final confrontation. Game crashes to desktop!

Start up again.

Resume campaing but it starts mission all the way from the opening cutscene, so all my progress lost.

Happened twice now! Makes me furious! I don't fucking want to do this third time in a row!

Apeopleman

6.The Unlock System-

This is MY FAVORITE thing about the game. Ghost is complete nonsense ever since Black Ops , as was Assassin in Mw3, allow me to explain.

In cod mw4 and WaW, if you wanted UAV stealth, that means you had tomgive up stopping power/or juggernaut to have stealth, and it makes sense. Sacrificing power for stealth. Fair enough. You want to be a little bitch and use the perk? You will be weaker in battle.

In MW2, same story, minus the juggernaut. Still lost the stopping power and were weaker.

In Black ops however, this is where they messed up. You could use stealth (ghost) and not sacrifice power or extra health. Same with MW3.

I stand by my opinion that if you use Ghost/Assassin, you are a bad player and need to get good.

That being said, I am a bad player, and use it all the time. There is a secret way to have Ghost forever, but I don't want to encourage its use.

So in about 15 hours real life time, I've gone from Prestige 1 Level 34 to Prestige 2 Level 30 which is crazy that i could do a whole prestige in a day. I wasn't playing those whole 15 hours either. Maybe I'll do another prestige tomorrow and a final one on sunday and be 4th prestige Level 30 or so at the end of the weekend xP

I dont understand the rationale for these insta-kill score streaks like lightning strike or that paper plane thing you throw.

E.g. In the past you could be taking a flag, get an alert that an airstike is incoming, using some experience understand its probably heading your way - giving your a sporting chance to perform an action movie getaway if youre good enough. Now???

Sojgat

I dont understand the rationale for these insta-kill score streaks like lightning strike or that paper plane thing you throw.

E.g. In the past you could be taking a flag, get an alert that an airstike is incoming, using some experience understand its probably heading your way - giving your a sporting chance to perform an action movie getaway if youre good enough. Now???

UAV, Hunter Killer, Lightning strike combo can be pretty devastating in TDM if you cycle through it a couple times, suddenly the match is over. I love how you can throw the hunter killer directly at people and take out whole groups. You don't even need any of the higher score streaks to destroy the other side (especially if they're are too dumb to take out your UAV and your team gives you 6+ assists while you're running hardline).

When you create a class you'll have one perma unlock token that you can use. It's accessed w/ one of the bumpers/L1 I think.

Thanks I was worried for a second.

I decided to be that guy and just use a knife with six perks and a pistol. If was kind of amazing, but I'm sure the other team was pissed. It might have been a placebo, but I felt like way more of my knife kills were connecting when I had the knife out. Maybe Treyarch made it so it has a wider arch when its in your hands.

Top Bottom