• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

zkylon

zkylewd
Just beaten the main campaign, didn't understand one thing, it's dumb as fuck, Menendez is awesome and I wish you just played him screaming JOSEFINAAAAAA all game long, loved the branching story, felt it was better than Mass Effect 3's, honest. I do think it's a big step down from Black Ops' story, mostly because it's a lot sillier and because it's a lot less memorable. I found most of the levels forgettable, and the plot itself to be ridiculously weak and often senseless (though this is a given in modern Call of Duty games), specially compared to Black Ops 1's Cold War paranoia and 70s style.

So campaigns for me: CoD4 > Blops1 > CoD1 > CoD2 > Blops2 > WaW > MW2 > MW3

STOP TRUSTING EMANUEL NORIEGA YOU SILLY AMERICANS

Thanks I was worried for a second.

I decided to be that guy and just use a knife with six perks and a pistol. If was kind of amazing, but I'm sure they other team was pissed. It might might have been a placebo, but I felt like way more of my knife kills were connecting when I had the knife out. Maybe Treyarch made it so it has a wider arch when its in your hands.

I thought I saw someone type that no one was using a gun on our team. That was you all along wasn't it?

knitoe

On 360, the netcode is so bad. Lvl up to 40, but since all my friends don't have the game, we played MW3 instead. Even with 3 bars in MW3, it was way better than even Blops2 4 bars (best). Every game in Blops2 I would get the WTF moments where you jump someone from behind/side, only to have them turn around, one shot me and replay shows you are a stature. With MW3, I'll get the kill unless I screw up and fuck up my aim.

I dont understand the rationale for these insta-kill score streaks like lightning strike or that paper plane thing you throw.

E.g. In the past you could be taking a flag, get an alert that an airstike is incoming, using some experience understand its probably heading your way - giving your a sporting chance to perform an action movie getaway if youre good enough. Now???
Is their not a perk to protect you from those things?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Did MW2 have lag compensation?

Yes, most games have some form of it to deal with host-client connections, but IMO it just hasn't been this bad before.

While MW3 was also a pain in the ass the first few weeks in the same way it got better with patches, BO2 coming out afterwards should shouldn't be having these problems to this degree when there's already been a year to play with lag comp from the last release.

I agree with everything here, except I liked MW3's maps better, as insane as that sounds.

Funnily enough me too, maybe when lag comp is better they will seem less annoying, but at this point I would take an Arkaden or Outpost over a bunch of these maps.

I dont understand the rationale for these insta-kill score streaks like lightning strike or that paper plane thing you throw.

E.g. In the past you could be taking a flag, get an alert that an airstike is incoming, using some experience understand its probably heading your way - giving your a sporting chance to perform an action movie getaway if youre good enough. Now???

These are ridiculous, it isn't even like we have a host of large maps where players will travel half way across the map before a strike comes in between UAV sweeps, most of the time the announcer starts saying one is coming to be immediately hit by one.

Regardless of what their data might tell them I do wonder if they played it at all before putting it out.

How do I get double XP? I downloaded Nuketown day 1, but I'm still getting normal XP(on PS3).

It comes after a match, not during.

This is MY FAVORITE thing about the game. Ghost is complete nonsense ever since Black Ops , as was Assassin in Mw3, allow me to explain.

In cod mw4 and WaW, if you wanted UAV stealth, that means you had tomgive up stopping power/or juggernaut to have stealth, and it makes sense. Sacrificing power for stealth. Fair enough. You want to be a little bitch and use the perk? You will be weaker in battle.

In MW2, same story, minus the juggernaut. Still lost the stopping power and were weaker.

In Black ops however, this is where they messed up. You could use stealth (ghost) and not sacrifice power or extra health. Same with MW3.

I stand by my opinion that if you use Ghost/Assassin, you are a bad player and need to get good.

That being said, I am a bad player, and use it all the time. There is a secret way to have Ghost forever, but I don't want to encourage its use.

Seriously? I don't get this disdain some COD players have for that perk. Not wanting to be on the UAV, which seems pretty valid if you want to flank or go after the objective, makes you a little bitch but needing a 40% damage bonus or whatever it was to get kills doesn't?

They already nerfed ghost for campers by making you move around for it to work, didn't they? So making it a level 55 unlock just seems overkill.

Yes, with a AI control device, like the paper plane, but not a AOE killstreak, like lightning strike.

Is it not possible to survive even with a Flak Jacket? It seems strange that they would make one kill streak completely unavoidable. I mean obviously if you're inside it won't hit you, but there really is no warning before a lightning strike takes place. I think I've said before that I've had one kill me before the announcer even said it was coming.

mxgt

Banned
I just had my best game so far where I went 42-2 but I had a 3 bar connection so I can't help but believe I had a pretty unfair udvantage :|

I hate my ISP

Sethos

Banned
Okay, the "Best" connection thing definitely was placebo / lucky streak.

The lag compensation is killing the game for me.

knitoe

Is it not possible to survive even with a Flak Jacket? It seems strange that they would make one kill streak completely unavoidable. I mean obviously if you're inside it won't hit you, but there really is no warning before a lightning strike takes place. I think I've said before that I've had one kill me before the announcer even said it was coming.
Flak Jacket description says it lessen explosive damage which I assume mean equipment, like grenades, Semtex, launchers and etc. I highly doubt it's going to save you from 7 (700) killstreak.

Okay, the "Best" connection thing definitely was placebo.

The lag compensation is killing the game for me.

Did you have 3 or 4 bars? I notice 3 bars (best) was still crap. 4 bars is the only way to go.

Sethos

Banned
Did you have 3 or 4 bars? I notice 3 bars (best) was still crap. 4 bars is the only way to go.

4. Always.

Bars have fuck all to do with anything, higher bars is worse with the lag compensation system. Especially as I constantly get host which is the worst of the lot.

I have to leave every time I get host.

I think part of the 'hit detection/netcode' problem is that hipfire strafing with an SMG is the dominant form of engagment in this game, at least for now. Sync problems are going to show up more when characters are skating around all over the place in CQC. Add the popular t1 perk lightweight into the mix and it's the perfect recipe for lag compensation problems.

Sojgat

Seriously? I don't get this disdain some COD players have for that perk. Not wanting to be on the UAV, which seems pretty valid if you want to flank or go after the objective, makes you a little bitch but needing a 40% damage bonus or whatever it was to get kills doesn't?

They already nerfed ghost for campers by making you move around for it to work, didn't they? So making it a level 55 unlock just seems overkill.

I think part of the intent was for people to try out the different ways to deal with UAVs before just having a perk that does it for them. Treyarch put all this other new crap in the game and they want people to use it.

It's blindfire if there's no UAV up (makes the difference between hitting nobody and taking out the whole team). This is another reason players should focus on actually dealing with the things rather than just running around with ghost perk. It adds another layer to the gameplay. I'm sure some people would rather there was no mini map at all, but then many of the perks, equipment, and streaks in the game wouldn't need to exist and the fun of gaming the systems with them would be removed as well.

Flak Jacket description says it lessen explosive damage which I assume mean equipment, like grenades, Semtex, launchers and etc. I highly doubt it's going to save you from 7 (700) killstreak.

Right, but since there's a perk that mitigate the effectiveness of every other scorestreak maybe that one is for lightning strikes. I mean lets be honest a flak jacket isn't going to save anybody from something like that, but you never know.

The only reason I even use the ghost perk is because the other team always gets complacent if the UAVs up and it gives me an opportunity to get close. Eventually they catch on that I'm not going to show up on the map. but until they do I get a lot of easy kills.

Kyoufu

Ghost being level 55 is one of the best things about this game and I say this as someone who has used Ghost in every COD I've played.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So do we not have a central list of people playing BO2 Xbox Live usernames?

Mine is Trojita.

I probably should get a decent mic or headset. Any recommendations?

Fistwell

Lag all up in this bitch right now. Last couple of games were all green bars for everyone yet a goddam slide show and 1/2 the people complaining about it. (PC - Western Europe)

Also, is the dble xp thing going on or what? I don't see it. Got the "settings changed" or whatever message pop up 5 times yesterday night (made the game crash everytime btw), but it doesn't seem like I'm progressing any faster. Can't seem to ever join friends either.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Switch from AR to SMG and don't even waste time aiming.

Yeah... the difference has been massive. Major latency issues too with Knife people.Getting knifed from a guy when you're behind him. =[

Kyoufu

SMGs are so stupid. Not really a complaint but it's just stupidly easy to blow your load on someone in decent range of you with positive results.

It's just too easy.

23 and 4 on hardcore TDM with Fal, red dot, semi auto. Setting up the microwave and turret next to each other is instant win if you have those as killstreaks. Just protect them and win.

iNvid02

spawns suck major balls, and none of the maps stand out either.

maybe its just me but i haven't really liked a map since the COD4/MW2 days

Fistwell

Treyarch rly needs to get their shit together. Half the games I join are completely unplayable due to slide-show levels of lag right now. It's not even as if the (supposedly) "dedicated servers" are getting hammered, only 40k people online.

Edit: just wanna say... scavenger re-filling lethals and non-lethals feels a bit broken. But i know, stats, don't be emotional, etc.
It's so easy to build up your little fortress of shocks and BBs... I feel dirty...

Victrix

*beard*
Edit: just wanna say... scavenger re-filling lethals and non-lethals feels a bit broken. But i know, stats, don't be emotional, etc.
It's so easy to build up your little fortress of shocks and BBs... I feel dirty...

One EMP ruins your fortress of solitude. Flak Jacket and Tac Mask nullify it. Engineer can see it. Engineer and Black Hat can actually turn it against you.

The counters in this game are really hard counters.

Too bad the SMGs feel like the counter to everything due to the way the maps are set up :<

I'm thinking those shock/betty forts are going to be key to slowing down the rampage of the SMGs. A whole team setting up forts like that would shut down a basic ghost/extreme conditioning SMG class, and even if they start packing EMP grenades, it'll still give you some warning.

Finally had some ass kicking games earlier with the FAL and the Vector. Smoke grenades are amazing for blocking enemy sight lines. I'm going to piss some people off when I unlock dual band on more of my ARs and LMGs.

GolazoDan

Finished the story last night. It's really kinda good, I enjoyed it a lot and it's gonna be terrible to go back to an Infinity Ward story that's like "You're a soldierman, don't try and remember his name, kill the bad terrorist". The shades of grey they create at times are fantastic.
I showed Menendez mercy and didn't kill him. He ended up breaking out of prison and killing Woods, then doused himself in petrol by his sister's grave. It's kind of a grim ending but the world didn't end and Menendez at least got the piece of revenge he really wanted.
The fact that a Call of Duty storyline made me feel something for the characters is impressive in and of itself. They put a fuckload of effort into it.

The optional missions are a bit daft though, didn't really like them but did them all. And that post-credits thing.
ONE BIG ADVERT, :(

Also played a bit of the Nuketown map on multiplayer. FFA Deathmatch is hilarious chaos. People spawning all over the place. Headquarters is just grenades going off all over the place. I can tell why people like/HATE this map.

Sethos

Banned
Made it through my first prestige. Now I'm trying to play Search so I can level up quickly. Lol.

Level up quick in S&D? No man, just no :p Takes ages to level up now with the point nerf. 4-5 matches and I barely got a level. 2 domination matches and I did an entire level + 10%

EDIT: And clip rendering takes a month, jesus.

nOoblet16

I think I'm just lucky or if it has something to do with region (I'm in EU), but I've had absolutely zero issues with lag. All games I join have a very low latency and I can't even tell if I am the host or not.

Also, granted it is an issue here (as with a lot of games) but the word "Lag compensations" is being thrown around and is being misinterpreted so much here (even in situations like "I moved past the way but the kill cam didn't show me going past it" when in reality it actually is just the usual lag/high latency to the server/host) that I just couldn't help myself from laughing...lol

Sethos

Banned
I think I'm just lucky or if it has something to do with region (I'm in EU), but I've had absolutely zero issues with lag. All games I join have a very low latency and I can't even tell if I am the host or not.

Also, granted it is an issue here (as with a lot of games) but the word "Lag compensations" is being thrown around and is being misinterpreted so much here (even in situations like "I moved past the way but the kill cam didn't show me going past it" when in reality it actually is just the usual lag/high latency to the server/host) that I just couldn't help myself from laughing...lol

Lucky for you, unfortunately it is a massive issue and it's effecting people everywhere.

HiiiLife

Level up quick in S&D? No man, just no :p Takes ages to level up now with the point nerf. 4-5 matches and I barely got a level. 2 domination matches and I did an entire level + 10%

EDIT: And clip rendering takes a month, jesus.

No way? I wasn't aware. I always use to grind in Dom and SnD in the previous CoDs. Guess I gotta find a new playlist. Lol.

Fistwell

One EMP ruins your fortress of solitude. Flak Jacket and Tac Mask nullify it. Engineer can see it. Engineer and Black Hat can actually turn it against you.
Well now, that makes me feel better (actually running with engineer myself, got tired of triggering shocks planted behing corners). With that said, the poor fuckers in my last cple of games were woefully unprepared to assault my ungodly fortress of despair and anguish.

Sethos

Banned
No way? I wasn't aware. I always use to grind in Dom and SnD in the previous CoDs. Guess I gotta find a new playlist. Lol.

Yeah, it sucks. You get 100 points per kill now ... Same as in other modes. Bomb plant is also 100 I believe and then sprinkled a bigger match bonus and the usual medals and the outcome is pretty shit. A good round is something like 800-1200 points which is far from the norm, plus a match bonus of around 1000 points and then add any medals ... It's pitiful. Do great? So-so points. Do badly? Fuck all.

I don't get it, this mode should have much higher point counts.

I've played close to 12 hours. Level 51 no prestige ( And that's with 4 domination matches where I got 2 levels! )

Friend played 10 hours and he's close to second prestige.

All because he plays domination and I play S&D.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Copy/paste from AusGAF.

Gotta admit, I'm very surprised with how much I'm enjoying Black Ops 2. Speaking specifically of single player.

For me, the best Call of Duty campaigns were the first and the second, and Modern Warfare. I remember way back when the first was announced, and the "big thing" for the time was how many AI/NPC it was pushing in a single scene. The whole "horrors of WW2" thing, waves of people rushing against a bunkered down enemy, etc. I think that's why so many people, like myself, have fond memories of the Battle for Stalingrad sequence from the original game. Coming off that boat and pushing through the square, seemingly hundreds of characters on the screen rushing the enemy, getting mowed down. Had a great sense of pure chaos and carnage, like you're just one individual in the middle of two massive forces throwing themselves against each other in a wide battlefield.

As much as I enjoyed Modern Warfare, that marked the series turn from the above philosophy to more personal, tiny encounters and stage design. But I still enjoyed it, probably for the change in setting. I didn't mind Black Ops, but I loathed Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3. I though World at War was kinda shitty too. MW3 I downright fucking hated, and I standby my belief that as a single player game it has abysmal level design, shitty pacing, and some of the worst encounters in the series. It's supremely boring, dull, and devoid of fun. MW2 wasn't far behind.

Black Ops 2, however, in many respects goes back to the philosophy of the original. Many of the battles take place in much, much larger battlefields than anything the series has seen since Call of Duty 2. There's a great sense of scale to the battles, lots of guys fighting on both sides, and the game constantly pushes you forward. Less squatting to grind against waves of forces, and instead a good momentum that keeps you moving through the battlegrounds. You cover a lot of ground in a single level. And even then, many of the encounters, though trademark Call of Duty scripted, are far less bottlenecked and overscripted than they usually are. If you need to take out a tank with explosives, or you need to push through enemy forces to an entry point, you're given quite a bit of flexibility to just how you're going to pull it off. Like, in the tank example, it's less "there's a mortar placed in a specific location, get to it, use it, and bomb this tank in a specific location", and more "here's a rocket launcher with anti-air homing capabilities, there's tanks and aircraft over in that general area moving about, now go destroy them". It's still scripted, but it puts more control in the hands of the player in how they're going to experience and engage in every encounter.

It's also completely utterly insane in themes and set pieces to the point where it's not like any Call of Duty. Not like the original gritty World War 2. Not like the wanky Modern Warfares. Not like the conspiracy mumbo jumbo Black Ops. Ironically, given the above, it's less "Call of Duty" than any Call of Duty, in themes at the very least.

I mean, it's still got some problems and rough portions I'm not overly impressed with, but it's clearly taken some steps away from the series' current formula to try a few different things, particularly in scope and level pacing. There's some other ideas thrown in there, consistently too, that lead me to believe Treyarch was legitimately trying to give the franchises a much needed kick up the arse.

Fantasmo

This is my last competitive game if they won't allow dedicated servers. I get a half second delay. I have to flank to get a kill. Head on fights are unbeatable. Ghost is nerfed to where you have to tilt the analog fully to be off radar which destroys all non laser attachment smg battles. Even then its a crapshoot. Enemies respawn together. Theatre mode shows a completely different perspective game than the one I see. I watch in disbelief since that's not at all what I saw! I look half retarded and braindead in theatre meanwhile, while I'm playing I'm super focused to compensate and its stressing me the fuck out. I have decent internet. I cannot play like this at all. MW2 had this perfect. Ever since Black Ops its been downhill.

Treyarch rly needs to get their shit together. Half the games I join are completely unplayable due to slide-show levels of lag right now. It's not even as if the (supposedly) "dedicated servers" are getting hammered, only 40k people online.

How can you say the above and then say this:

Dirty when the lag is this unbearable, what are you on? Besides, scavenger bags only show after a gun kill as far as I can tell. Nevermind Engineer AND Black Hat, individually or together, make them totally useless. And its looking like a full sprint while using lightweight and an smg can run right by a bouncing betty and not get killed. Can't do it more than once without the guy expecting it and going prone. And I can't count on the announcer to tell me my equipment is gone fast enough.

With this shit netcode I actually feel dirty when I play well. I can't be certain if I won an engagement due to me being on the good or bad side of lag compensation. Until developers started adding this shit in I never gave it a thought. And I have to pay extra because my friends are on Xbox. Fuck Treyarch, MS, Xbox, this is the last year for me unless servers with ping check is back, and compensation is gone.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When you accidentally miss the vehicle for a split second while your scanning it with the blackhat PDA.

Feels bad man.

Portugeezer

Is the console version the same? On PC almost everyone just hip fires with SMG, and most maps are small which means it's too good. Aiming down sights with AR still gets you killed by hip firing guys.

That said, I am starting to enjoy the game more and more.

nOoblet16

The biggest issue I have with this game is how only certain maps keep on playing (or come up as options on the vote list), there're maps like Aftermath, Overflow,Raid and Slums which I haven't even played on even once and I've got about 10 hours of game time till now !!! It's always either Hijacked, Meltdown, Standoff, Yemen or Plaza with an odd appearance of Turbine, Express, Drone,Cargo and Carrier every now and then.

Killer

Banned
So do you guys recommend this game? Last one I played was blops 1 on PS3 and that was a mess at launch I stopped playing few days after release.

Top Bottom