• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

FStop7

Banned
Had some pretty bad issues with lag last night. This time it was't lag compensation, it was something else.

I was in the middle of a game when I started glitching all over the place. I'd leap ahead or backward a few steps at a time in twitchy fashion. When I checked connection status on the scoreboard every player in the game showed as having 0 bars (just a small red dot.)

It was obviously not just happening to me as the game basically came to a halt, nobody was able to do anything. This would last for a minute or two, then it would gradually go back to normal.

I switched to a different lobby afterward and things were mostly better, but I still did notice a touch of lag for the rest of the evening. Especially when watching killcams.

On another note - I sure hope select fire on the FAL is worth all of the shit I'm going through to get it. As a semi-auto gun it sucks. I'm getting massacred as I level up the gun to unlock sf.

Fantasmo

FStop7, the FAL full auto has no recoil at all, sniper killing is easy. Use a laser sight and you can hold your own in short range fights too. If I didn't suffer from terrible lag Id beast with it. I expect a nerf. It shoots slower than pounding on the trigger but its infinitely easier to consistently kill targets since you're not freaking out on the trigger button. Its definitely worth the unlock.

Can someone please please troubleshoot my lag with me? I can't work with half second delay. I want to love this game. The previous page has my speedtest. I'm on 360

Gibbo

Dat Afghan / Horseback mission...

Loved it, felt like I was in the final act of The Living Daylights.

The set pieces in this game are amazing. I expecting the worst when they showed the LA level during the E3 presentation. But they somehow managed to win me over with the full package. One of the better SP in the last few years

aristotle

Fuck this game freezes so much on my PS3.

Stop looking at emblems :p

I've noticed that is the only time I've ever had a freeze. For some reason when the countdown timer finishes (or migrating hosts or whatever), the ps3 will freeze if you're doing anything other than just sitting in the lobby.

Mideon

Any Bros got a spare 360 Nuketown code? My copy turned up today from Tesco Direct which I ordered before release but it has no Nuketown code :-(

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can someone please please troubleshoot my lag with me? I can't work with half second delay. I want to love this game. The previous page has my speedtest. I'm on 360

There isn't much to troubleshoot, if you have a stable internet connection, seemingly regardless of speed once you get into double digits, you can be screwed over by lag compensation depending on who the host in and other players in the game.

There's not really a lot you can do about it besides doing what others have suggested, using wifi so your ping gets worse or doing something on a computer that uses a lot of bandwidth, the aim is to stick you on the bad end of the spectrum so the lag comp is heavier on other players.

It is also incredibly stupid that people have to do this to have a normal game, lol, I just barely move much in games these days and cover my back with equipment, not that it doesn't stop someone lagging around a corner and shooting me up regardless though.

fuenf

Looks like i got a very bad ending. Well at least this explains the different impressions of the campaign. The campaign was great but the ending really put a damper on things. Well let's fire it up again.

Raptor

Copy/paste from AusGAF.

Gotta admit, I'm very surprised with how much I'm enjoying Black Ops 2. Speaking specifically of single player.

For me, the best Call of Duty campaigns were the first and the second, and Modern Warfare. I remember way back when the first was announced, and the "big thing" for the time was how many AI/NPC it was pushing in a single scene. The whole "horrors of WW2" thing, waves of people rushing against a bunkered down enemy, etc. I think that's why so many people, like myself, have fond memories of the Battle for Stalingrad sequence from the original game. Coming off that boat and pushing through the square, seemingly hundreds of characters on the screen rushing the enemy, getting mowed down. Had a great sense of pure chaos and carnage, like you're just one individual in the middle of two massive forces throwing themselves against each other in a wide battlefield.

As much as I enjoyed Modern Warfare, that marked the series turn from the above philosophy to more personal, tiny encounters and stage design. But I still enjoyed it, probably for the change in setting. I didn't mind Black Ops, but I loathed Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3. I though World at War was kinda shitty too. MW3 I downright fucking hated, and I standby my belief that as a single player game it has abysmal level design, shitty pacing, and some of the worst encounters in the series. It's supremely boring, dull, and devoid of fun. MW2 wasn't far behind.

Black Ops 2, however, in many respects goes back to the philosophy of the original. Many of the battles take place in much, much larger battlefields than anything the series has seen since Call of Duty 2. There's a great sense of scale to the battles, lots of guys fighting on both sides, and the game constantly pushes you forward. Less squatting to grind against waves of forces, and instead a good momentum that keeps you moving through the battlegrounds. You cover a lot of ground in a single level. And even then, many of the encounters, though trademark Call of Duty scripted, are far less bottlenecked and overscripted than they usually are. If you need to take out a tank with explosives, or you need to push through enemy forces to an entry point, you're given quite a bit of flexibility to just how you're going to pull it off. Like, in the tank example, it's less "there's a mortar placed in a specific location, get to it, use it, and bomb this tank in a specific location", and more "here's a rocket launcher with anti-air homing capabilities, there's tanks and aircraft over in that general area moving about, now go destroy them". It's still scripted, but it puts more control in the hands of the player in how they're going to experience and engage in every encounter.

It's also completely utterly insane in themes and set pieces to the point where it's not like any Call of Duty. Not like the original gritty World War 2. Not like the wanky Modern Warfares. Not like the conspiracy mumbo jumbo Black Ops. Ironically, given the above, it's less "Call of Duty" than any Call of Duty, in themes at the very least.

I mean, it's still got some problems and rough portions I'm not overly impressed with, but it's clearly taken some steps away from the series' current formula to try a few different things, particularly in scope and level pacing. There's some other ideas thrown in there, consistently too, that lead me to believe Treyarch was legitimately trying to give the franchises a much needed kick up the arse.
This post right here makes me glad I decided to buy this one, and Im really glad because Im doing it primarly for the SP.

Great post man.

harrytang

Had some pretty bad issues with lag last night. This time it was't lag compensation, it was something else.

I was in the middle of a game when I started glitching all over the place. I'd leap ahead or backward a few steps at a time in twitchy fashion. When I checked connection status on the scoreboard every player in the game showed as having 0 bars (just a small red dot.)

It was obviously not just happening to me as the game basically came to a halt, nobody was able to do anything. This would last for a minute or two, then it would gradually go back to normal.

I switched to a different lobby afterward and things were mostly better, but I still did notice a touch of lag for the rest of the evening. Especially when watching killcams.

On another note - I sure hope select fire on the FAL is worth all of the shit I'm going through to get it. As a semi-auto gun it sucks. I'm getting massacred as I level up the gun to unlock sf.

This is exactly what's happening to me all day.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The set pieces in this game are amazing. I expecting the worst when they showed the LA level during the E3 presentation. But they somehow managed to win me over with the full package. One of the better SP in the last few years

The funny thing was that I was quite bored watching the LA level during E3, but when I actually played it in the game it was a ton of fun.

ironcreed

Banned
Dat Afghan / Horseback mission...

Loved it, felt like I was in the final act of The Living Daylights.

It's a really good example of the variety in the missions. Plus, it is so well paced with going to the past and back to the future as well. Can't believe I am talking positive about a COD campaign, but it actually is great, lol. Love some of the futuristic weaponry as well. Straight up badassery and gives a nice sense of near future war tech, albeit still fictional. It just pulls that vibe off really well.

JB1981

Fuck. Maybe I will buy it now. It's not like there is a shortage of people to play MP with lol. My entire friend's list is

Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Halo 4
Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Xbox Dashboard
Black Ops
Black Ops
Halo 4

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I assume there's no way to replay a mission to try for an alternate outcome and have it save? I'd like to replay
let the guy get away
. I haven't continued the story from finishing the level, but I can't see any way to replay and have it save over.

WHAT

you can kill the bad guy that takes her?!?!

This is the first COD game I've played since MW2 and I was pacing myself during that entire level thinking it's going to be a scripted end to that mission :|
Even more so with the RTS mission that showed up.

Looks like I'm going to tread the entire game again.

Flunkie

Banned
Fuck. Maybe I will buy it now. It's not like there is a shortage of people to play MP with lol. My entire friend's list is

Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Halo 4
Black Ops
Black Ops
Black Ops
Xbox Dashboard
Black Ops
Black Ops
Halo 4

They're still playing Black Ops 1? Weird.

Oh my God the tech issues with the PS3 version are infuriating!!!

I can't even play it with my Sony headset online. Every time I try, the game falls to its knees, shits all over itself, rolls around in the feces getting it in its mouth, ears and eyes and then tells the doctor it has no idea how it got pink eye.

I can't believe a game this big got released in this state.

fuenf

WHAT

This is the first COD game I've played since MW2 and I was pacing myself during that entire level thinking it's going to be a scripted end to that mission :|

Yeah the game is doing a good job at 'hiding' your choices. The debriefing screens gives you a good idea of what could've gone differently, though.

I really wonder if those reviewers, who criticized the campaign, even played through it multiple times or simply approached the game like every other CoD

legacyzero

Banned
Dang Xbox or PC version can't decide.
I'm gonna be biased for a second. I own both.

With the type of game that it is, (if you're referring to multiplayer) twitchy, kb/m has done A LOT better for me.

Maybe the kb/m has spoiled me :(
I hated (HATED) Blops.
Really? I thought Blops was almost perfect balance, flow, and gameplay wise. It's only downfall was iffy hit detection IMO.

The game was certainly better than W@W. And I have a soft spot for COD3, mainly because it had the greatest multiplayer map know to man. (Eder Dam).

Desaan

Adventures on PS3:

*Waiting for more players to balance teams* - Lobby is full
*Migrating Host*
*Migrating Host*
*Migrating Host*
*Lobby closed, failed to migrate host*

I swear to god, the dev responsible for coding multiplayer spent more time smoking CRACK than doing his job, wtf is this shit? Then there are times after a game when I've been playing with a decent group of people and for no reason it will boot me out of the lobby and into my own one and start the process all over again.

Somewhere there is crack dealer who made a whole lot of cash whilst BLOPS2 was in development.

:p
8EC45FF6C46885CA3A02E6F3F22AC8788CFD3F26

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WHAT

The game has several moments like this. Full list of levels and their story 'choices':

Pyrrhic Victory - Nothing.
Celerium - Nothing.
Old Wounds - Have Mason resist during the interrogation, letting Woods execute Kravchenko.
Time and Fate - Find the records in the burning section of the bunker, with all the cocaine. If Kavchenko was interrogated you have time to find it, but the flames will destroy it if you're not quick enough.
Fallen Angel - Record four groups of conversation from Menendez. Unlocks a strike mission later in the game. Can also avoid Harper getting his face burnt by driving the right way.
Karma - Catch and kill DeFalco. Negates one strike mission, the one where you would normally go re-rescue Karma.
Suffer With Me - Shoot the target in the limbs instead of the head, showing Woods suspected something was off about the mission. Mason still dies, but it leads to a better ending.
Achilles Veil - Have Farid survive.
Odysseus - Briggs is injured instead of killed. Events of previous missions (strike included) shape the level.
Cordis Die - Protect the president.
Judgment Day - Kill or capture Menendez. Raul's fate, alive = negative.

Anyone having problems with the campaign freezing (360). I can't pass a specific part without it locking up. I've tried installing and nothing....can anyone help????)

The game has several moments like this. Full list of levels and their story 'choices':

Pyrrhic Victory - Nothing.
Celerium - Nothing.
Old Wounds - Have Mason resist during the interrogation, letting Woods execute Kravchenko.
Time and Fate - Find the records in the burning section of the bunker, with all the cocaine. If Kavchenko was interrogated you have time to find it, but the flames will destroy it if you're not quick enough.
Fallen Angel - Record four groups of conversation from Menendez. Unlocks a strike mission later in the game. Can also avoid Harper getting his face burnt by driving the right way.
Karma - Catch and kill DeFalco. Negates one strike mission, the one where you would normally go re-rescue Karma.
Suffer With Me - Shoot the target in the limbs instead of the head, showing Woods suspected something was off about the mission. Mason still dies, but it leads to a better ending.
Achilles Veil - Have Farid survive.
Odysseus - Briggs is injured instead of killed. Events of previous missions (strike included) shape the level.
Cordis Die - Protect the president.
Judgment Day - Kill or capture Menendez. Raul's fate, alive = negative.
Nope
its possible to save him

So how is this compared to the PS3 version of Black Ops I? Because the frame rate was incredibly bad as I'm sure all previous owners of BOI know.

Top Bottom