• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Jhoan

Guys, how do I beat the
Zhao Assassination Strike Force mission?
It's giving me hell. I've already retried it twice. I hate how stupid the friendly AI is. Each time I try to make it to the EMP site, I get desroyed.

mxgt

Banned
I'm a little confused. I have a permanent unlock token but can't use it on anything? do I have to wait to unlock stuff like Ghost again to use it?

Maybe I'm being dumb.

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm a little confused. I have a permanent unlock token but can't use it on anything? do I have to wait to unlock stuff like Ghost again to use it?

Maybe I'm being dumb.
Allegedly L1 or R1 somewhere on the horrid menu system. Check context on bottom of screen.

nOoblet16

Yeah I realized that afterwards. At the time
I KNEW it was Mason, but I shot him in the head because I was told to shoot him in the head. I actually tried to shoot the soldiers holding him but it failed me, so I figured I had to shoot him in the head.
Man this game does such a terrible job at explaining anything to you.

I find this post to be very funny because I believe this game one upped a lot of other games when it comes to decision making in games affecting the storyline.

The way it works in almost every other game is that you are specifically given the option to choose at some point KNOWING that it will affect your story somehow, that is very one dimensional and honestly speaking a very dated style now. What this game did was something similar to what Alpha Protocol did, it branches the storyline dynamically but you don't know if it did or didn't, not until the very end atleast and I applaud the developers for doing this because I think this is the right way to do decision making in games rather than simply letting you pick between option A and option B when the game asks you to.

Remmy2112

So... is it lag compensation screwing me over if, say, I see a guy as he spots me with a SMG or AR at medium range and kills me with what only looked to be 2 bullets, but on his killcam he sprayed like 10? Or is that just me lagging? Usually I'm at 4 bars on the scoreboard, but the above scenario has happened so many times that I'm thinking it can't just just be wonky killcams. I've also been killed by people I fled from AFTER I rounded a corner to safety.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is playing World at War necessary to get the most out of the campaign story? I only played about halfway through it on Veteran way back, and have the urge to revisit it for any character intros. I hear Gary Oldman's character is involved.

I also plan to purchase Black Ops 1 since I never tried it either and am curious about the numbers.

Makoto

Broke 3.01 KDR with a win rate of 1.83. I have to commend the scorestreak system. It's taught me that it is possible to fully commit to an objective and still maintain one of the highest KDR's, if not the highest, in a match as well as one of the highest objective contributions.

Now that I've prestiged, I've discovered that UAV/Lightning/the name of that drone you can control is pretty good combo, particularly for objectives. Moreso the Lightning than the drone. I didn't give it enough credit when I first began playing BO2.

Jack_AG

Banned
OK I hate to do this but i'm dropping my AR in favor of a Sub since I have no chance in a face to face with Lag comp. What's the going rate these days? 7 or Vect? I'm torn and need to work up attachments.

I just don't stand a chance with slower firing weapons with this junk netcode and spawns. Every time I'm a straight shot and every time I pump half a clip center mass I still get iced. Killcam shows me not firing a majority of the time or at BEST 1-2 rounds out.

I'm going to give it another few weeks for a netcode fix before I call it quits. Might as well join the Sub group to at least up my chances a touch since i'm penalized for having a low ping :(

mxgt

Banned
Allegedly L1 or R1 somewhere on the horrid menu system. Check context on bottom of screen.

I'm on PC, there are no keys to tell me what to press
KuGsj.gif

Edit: Fucking hell you have to click on the white text to perma unlock, had to switch to 360 layout to know it was there.

Is playing World at War necessary to get the most out of the campaign story? I only played about halfway through it on Veteran way back, and have the urge to revisit it for any character intros. I hear Gary Oldman's character is involved.

I also plan to purchase Black Ops 1 since I never tried it either and am curious about the numbers.

I'd do it just to get the full experience. It's a decent game. I'd at least drop the difficulty, though.

Jack_AG

Banned
So... is it lag compensation screwing me over if, say, I see a guy as he spots me with a SMG or AR at medium range and kills me with what only looked to be 2 bullets, but on his killcam he sprayed like 10? Or is that just me lagging? Usually I'm at 4 bars on the scoreboard, but the above scenario has happened so many times that I'm thinking it can't just just be wonky killcams. I've also been killed by people I fled from AFTER I rounded a corner to safety.
Lag comp. You have a good connection, therefore, must be punished.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

It's the lag compensation for the most part.

Online gaming will never show you everything going on perfectly anyway, it is just how the internet is with so many random pings to take into account, but the level that BO2 is screwing over people who generally don't have bad connections is at a ridiculous level at the moment.

As for killing around a corner, I'm not quite sure if it just lag comp or bullets can go through the thinner parts of a corner so continue to be effective till you are behind a thinker part, but it could just be lag again, lol.

nashb81

Neo Member
It's crazy how major publications haven't called this game out for the shit that it is while they were all over Warfighter.

I did enjoy the SP but MP is an utter fuckzone. Anyone who's on the fence about this (especially for PC) should avoid it.

Nabs

It's crazy how major publications haven't called this game out for the shit that it is while they were all over Warfighter.

I did enjoy the SP but MP is an utter fuckzone. Anyone who's on the fence about this (especially for PC) should avoid it.

I don't know man... I'm having a pretty good time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway as much as I hate the campaign (and I do despise it so), I'm having a lot of fun with the multiplayer. Feels a lot less clusterfuck-y than MW3 ever did. I think it comes down to the level design, which is a lot more close quarter and enjoyable for me.

Mileena

Banned
holy shit Carrier is the worst map in the game

90% of the time I just die, never having seen who/what killed me. Aftermath is horrible too.

nOoblet16

Actually it's just you lagging, keep in mind that even with 4 bars you still have latency to the host/server. So there's still a delay (from your side) between your movement with respect to the player shooting and your actual movement on your screen, if you have 50ms delay then that shows up as 4 bars (it'll show up as 4 bars up until 80-90ms, that's a delay of 5-6 frames !) but it's still enough to make a difference in terms of number of bullets you saw being shot at you and the number of bullets your killer actually shot at you....and don't forget even the player shooting at you has some amount of delay so between you moving and him seeing you...the total delay time is your latency + his latency.

A lot of people here say that the want the lag compensation to be removed, well if that happens then you'd have to lead ALL your shots and it's not fun at all (I know this because I used to play from Asia a few years back and experience high amount of latency, so high that lag compensation became ineffective in most games) because every player has some amount of latency to the server/host. The games with high amount of lag compensation make sure that even the laggiest player gets his kill as long as he shoots at a player and puts in enough bullets regardless of the fact that he dies before his target is killed (his target will die after a certain amount of time depending on his latency to the server)....this happens when games do client side hit detection, and in this case you have a situation of two players killing each other from the same encounter at roughly the same time....games like Killzone 2/3 and BFBC1/2 are the prime example of this sort of lag compensation. I hope this helps to provide some explanation so that people don't simply throw around the word lag compensation everytime they experience something which is infact just a normal delay caused due to latency.

Hixx

holy shit Carrier is the worst map in the game

90% of the time I just die, never having seen who/what killed me. Aftermath is horrible too.

I hate it. You are constantly exposed from every angle, there's very little cover from air-based scorestreaks so you're getting blown up whenever you're not being shot... horrible map.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'd do it just to get the full experience. It's a decent game. I'd at least drop the difficulty, though.

Yea, Veteran killed my enthusiasm in W@W. The grenade spam was out of hand, and I finished CoD2, MW1, MW2 on that difficulty. World at War is where I drew the line and gave up on earning those cheevos.

I really liked what I remember of W@W though. Nifty retread of WW2 with a huge visual bump using the CoD4 engine.

Wow it is unbelievably easy to spawn kill people on Slums. Especially in FFA.

Haha it's unbelievably easy to do it in Demolition too. That map is always the shortest for me because we plant both bombs almost instantly and on defense they never even touch one. You can war machine them the second you see them appear :p and you're safe cause you're from a distance, but even up close you can destroy them and when you have 6 people using lightning strike on your team, i'm sure it gets very frustrating for the enemies :D

fuenf

Don't thank them until they fix netcode and spawns. Blur was the last of my worries.

Sure but at least it shows that they care about the game community. I'm currently giving them the benefit of the doubt on the spawn issues. Spawns have been a clusterfuck in every CoD during launch, once people stop running around like a headless chicken, they should get better fast.

Nope. I tested this patch too. It's still fucking blurry. Delete the patch and see for yourself.

There's still some blur but i think it's better than before. Tried Aftermath, Slums and Hijack, and the IQ is much clearer especially in the close to medium distances.

nOoblet16

Happens in every single COD thread ever. I'm enjoying the multiplayer but I hated the campaign. Treyarch needs to get some better writers.

The write is David S. Goyer and here are some of the things he wrote:

Blade (1998)
Dark City (1998 film)
Blade II (2002)
Blade: Trinity (2004)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008) story
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) story
Man of Steel (2013)
Godzilla (2014)

fuenf said:
There's still some blur but i think it's better than before. Tried Slums and Hijack, and the IQ is much clearer especially in the short to medium distances.
Well then we need to test all 3. Without the patch, the 1st patch, and the new one.

Im not seeing a change. Just like before, deleting this new 1.03 update makes everything clearer and sharper.

Top Bottom