• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

so when I found out that the PC version supports xbox controller support I decided to buy it.

I assumed I would get ripped a new one online if I used a controller but I do OK.

Pretty chuffed.

Should mean that when I go round my mates and play it on xbox I will have an advantage what with being used to no aim assist.

Havnt played to much so far but it seems a LOT better than MW3. Didnt like that at all so didnt bother buying it.

I love the R870 MCS for hardpoint, I do not care what midrange/highrange weapons are capable of when the hardpoints are constantly moving. That gamemode is a beast imho, even if one group manages to completely camp around a hardpoint, they will be at default disadvantage when the switch happens.

Also, so many people camp stupidly in this game. Last night at least 3 times I have run into a room to meet two crouching enemy in their respective corners who were not able to react before I pumped that shotgun into them - why camp if you have bad reflexes? :D

I love the R870 as well but is also a great way to get pissed off at LAG compensation. So many times I shoot a guy point blank and die, watch the kill cam I in his game I didn't even fire.
Its also very random damage(lag again maybe) but I had times where i had to fire 4 shot a close range, with all getting hit marks, to kill a guy. Maybe the damage drop off is to abrupt.
Still is my most fun to use gun.

I've been running it with overkill along with an AR and fast hands constantly switch guns/playstyle according to map location. Super fun and feels very tactical.

SteveWD40

so when I found out that the PC version supports xbox controller support I decided to buy it.

I assumed I would get ripped a new one online if I used a controller but I do OK.

Pretty chuffed.

COD is more focussed on movement than insane accuracy I find, I tried the 360 controller on CS:GO and that was just impossible but on BLOPS (1) it wasn't so bad.

V_Arnold

Why would I prestige if I am not interested on the e-peen aspect of the online multiplayer, btw? Or is it mandatory once someone reaches that level?

dark_chris

God, the beginning easter egg after you beat the game is hilarious.
Menendez, what the FUCK?!
lmao. just the way he says it is just too funny.

COD is more focussed on movement than insane accuracy I find, I tried the 360 controller on CS:GO and that was just impossible but on BLOPS (1) it wasn't so bad.

yeah which is why I thought it could work and got the game.

Im not into sniping at all. My fav way to play is stealth (silencer and perks that keep you off radar). So my play style works just fine.

Im perfectly capable of using a mouse and keyboard (pc gamer for years) but I just find a controller more comfy as my PC is hooked up to my TV. No way I would use on in old school games like UT or quake though.

Why would I prestige if I am not interested on the e-peen aspect of the online multiplayer, btw? Or is it mandatory once someone reaches that level?

Just something to do if you like unlocking things. Otherwise your just playing for the fun of the game..... why would anyone do that.

Shadybiz

But everything re-locks again once you prestige right? Or no?

Yes, but I believe the weapon attachments that you unlocked for your guns come back immediately when you unlock them again, so it's less painful the second time around.

Man...people get REAL upset when you run around with a pistol and 6 perks. I never played the game with a "chicken with head cut off" mentality before, but I've gotta say that it's working here.

SteveWD40

Yes, but I believe the weapon attachments that you unlocked for your guns come back immediately when you unlock them again, so it's less painful the second time around.

Man...people get REAL upset when you run around with a pistol and 6 perks. I never played the game with a "chicken with head cut off" mentality before, but I've gotta say that it's working here.

I tried a pistol build but found ammo to be an issue (even with scavenger), which pistol do you use?

I got my first hate message in FFA! Feels good man.
Aside form that, I've been having a horrible night of COD. Players have all of a sudden turned into bullet sponges. Sucks because I was having some pretty consistent games last couple of days. Maybe I should stop playing late a night.

Finally unlocked the suppressor for the AN-94, and I don't think I'll be using it again. XD
Seriously I might as well be throwing pieces of foam at them. Slow fire rate, slow to turn. I switched to an SMG and actually won a game. They really need to tone them down. At least the amount of damage they do at range.

They FAL with target finder, full-auto, and grip/suppressor is just too good. Almost every game I won tonight was because of this setup. Please don't nerf this Treyarch. :p

Shadybiz

I tried a pistol build but found ammo to be an issue (even with scavenger), which pistol do you use?

I have been using the Tac-45. Sometimes I will use the Secondary gunfighter wildcard and put on the longbarrel and FMJ; I think that's a good combo. I don't usually get low on ammo, but I guess I'm not that great that I live for that long. Still usually maintain a positive kdr though.

The revolver shotgun is a beast of a pistol, but ammo goes quick and the range stinks. I guess if I want to be good with that one, I'll have to get better at maneuvering when an enemy is clearly out of range.

feel

Game crashed and now Steam is randomly making me do a 3gb download for it. What the fuck this sucks on my slow conection!

mxgt

Banned
I love the R870 MCS for hardpoint, I do not care what midrange/highrange weapons are capable of when the hardpoints are constantly moving. That gamemode is a beast imho, even if one group manages to completely camp around a hardpoint, they will be at default disadvantage when the switch happens.

Also, so many people camp stupidly in this game. Last night at least 3 times I have run into a room to meet two crouching enemy in their respective corners who were not able to react before I pumped that shotgun into them - why camp if you have bad reflexes? :D

R870 is the most fun weapon in the game IMO

Zareth

I've been using the M8A1 with full auto dual mag and quick draw and this thing has ungodly RoF and seems to have basically no recoil. I love this thing.

Tarps

I went with Ghost, but I think my second perm unlock is going to be Scavenger it's almost OP.

Scavenger + Bouncing Betties = Profit.

Halcyon

I used it on a gun but only because I want to get it mastered. I'll probably use it on ghost for my third prestige which I plan to play super lame sprint smg.

I'll try most play styles except sniper. I've always just hated sniper class.

Looking forward to shotgun rain and knife playthroughs.

RS4-

Scavenger is way too good, even if you die a lot. There are times where you're just rolling people and restocking on the go keeps it going.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I gave MW3 a lot of shit for how the game was devised and how it basically catered to those who weren't k/d ratio freaks or high body count players. After playing black ops 2, it really makes me appreciate what IW did with MW3, and I take back a lot of the shit I gave them.

In my normal group of six, four of us are aggressive players who are all about k/d ratio, getting a shit ton of kills, and leveling the opposing team with killstreaks. The other two are dedicated support players and do all they can to support us for the over all win - throwing up UAVs, shooting UAVs down, making noise to attract enemies to them so we can keep our streaks going safely, etc - basically allowing us to focus on nothing but killing the opposing team. As you can imagine, those two absolutely loved MW3's support class, as they were finally being rewarded for their play style with killstreaks of their own that they found fun. That's all gone in blops 2 and those two players in our group are not happy, nor are they doing even remotely good - I'm talking 0 and 20 and consistently.

They're effectively doing more harm than good now, but there's not much they can do. Sure they have PLENTY of UAVs to shoot down, but at what cost? Contributing 20+ deaths to the opposing team is not helping. I feel fucking awful, they're flat out not enjoying it at all and I just don't see folks sticking this out longer than three months without some drastic changes. I think Treyarch might have alienated a good chunk of their playerbase by going on this camping witch hunt and turning blops 2 into nothing but SMG run and gun.

Being an SMG run and gunner and shooting down enemy air support are not mutually exclusive. I'm a very aggressive player but almost already have Gold camo for the Stinger since I have it on ALL THE TIME. Perhaps they need to adjust their playstyle a bit, but they can still be team players. Or maybe they're just not good >_>

Scavenger is way too good, even if you die a lot. There are times where you're just rolling people and restocking on the go keeps it going.

One thing I'd like to know is how many Bouncing Betties/Claymores you can place in the map at one time before they prematurely disappear. I'm guessing two? Even then, going on a shooting rampage near enemy spawn while dropping those things everywhere sounds so good.

Halcyon

I think a lot of it is the lag compensation. They might have fine reflexes but an invisible version of you is into the room shooting and by the time they quick react to their version of you they are already dead.

Effect

Ugh. My Wiimote aiming is so rusty. Been playing nothing but PC shooters for the last several months. Slowly getting it back I think. Just need to find the right gun. The second assault rifle seems to work okay for me. The PDW as well in the submachine guns. Though I think everyone is using that. I have to find the right siting position and the ideal dead zone setup as well (slowly getting there).

Everything is unlocked in league play right?

Effect

Thanks.

I think I'm going to force myself to play with the gamepad from time to time. I just want to take take advantage of the touch screen. Either that or pray Mass Effect 3 sells better and gets some type of community and have that bet he game where I focus on the gamepad for multiplayer shooting.

Fistwell

Yea love that stuff. Pop some guy, drop shock charge and BB, restock, repeat. Actually picked scavenger as my prestige freebie.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hardpoint is with out a doubt the best thing about BOII, its an awesome game mode, I hope it stays as well populated as it is!

Have you tried out the other new game type Multi/Tri Team? It's fun as hell, especially Tri Team Kill Confirmed and Hardpoint (yo dawg I herd u like new game modes so I put a new game mode in your new game mode)

Also there are other run and gunners out there besides SMGs. You can do work with an AR, you just need to keep more distance. SMGs in this game have a more severe damage drop-off at range than they have it seems in any other COD; ARs will win at ranged fights every time. Also for shotgun users, people are using that silenced Remington or whatever and it seems like a pretty damn consistent 1-2 shot kill. Put on Dexterity and it's extremely effective.

On a third note, the PC community for this game seems really cool. Not everyone has a mic, but due to being able to type out your thoughts mid-game, I've had more than a few comebacks in Domination where one guy simply Team Speaking "Rush B" at the start of round 2 brought the team to victory. Those precious few seconds where you skip A/C flag to B-line (pun intended) straight to B can decide the match.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's gamepad friendly by design. There isn't a lot of verticality and you can strafe to do fine horizontal adjustments without a big recoil penalty.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The balancing teams stuff has been terrible today, I didn't have the problem before but every other game has problems balancing for some reason.

Also, what is with the pistols, barely anyone use them but they seem even more over powered than SMGs, the three shot one killed two us in one with one shot, their much more powerful than I would have expected.

Fantasmo

Just played a game of Carrier where THE ENTIRE ENEMY TEAM camped the side with the raised sniping platform. What an annoying game
Play Kill Confirmed with good ARs and camp the lower level outside the tunnel with 2 friends, one outside the tunnel corner, one near the box-jump corner, and one near the stairs corner. All you need is one or two enemies who flank to start raging and the rest of the team starts cracking.

Mileena

Banned
The balancing teams stuff has been terrible today, I didn't have the problem before but every other game has problems balancing for some reason.

Also, what is with the pistols, barely anyone use them but they seem even more over powered than SMGs, the three shot one killed two us in one with one shot, their much more powerful than I would have expected.
That burst pistol always lights me up in 1 or 2 shots whereas my guns feel like they need 5 shots to kill. Obviously just the shitty netcode but annoying nonetheless

RS4-

Kind of weird that the calling card for bouncing betty doesn't track. I've got 77 kills or so when looking at weapon stats but 0 for calling card progress.

hamchan

Playing on PC. Really got owned for the first hour there, with a lot of .5 KDR and felt extremely bad. Then I read that SMGs are powerful in this game and lo and behold, using SMGs with dexterity and extreme conditioning and my KDR has gone up each game to around 1.5 to 2.

Campaign is good. It's been surprising with the larger areas and the strike force missions are pretty nice ideas. I'm extremely interested to see where the story is going to go.

ruxtpin

Banned
You can prestige with guns ... wat? How do I do that? I just hit first prestige last night, and unlocked 'Ghost' permanently. How do I go about getting a gold gun? I've got one that's already at MAX level.

Desaan

You can prestige with guns ... wat? How do I do that? I just hit first prestige last night, and unlocked 'Ghost' permanently. How do I go about getting a gold gun? I've got one that's already at MAX level.

For the gold camo you have to do the gun challenges. 5/10/20/50/100/200 headshots unlock most of the camo's then individual challenges after that like 200 kills with no attachments. (These camo's never reset, even through gun and player prestige)

To prestige a gun you go into that guns menu and if it's max level you can prestige it to unlock clan tag for your gun, but you lose all attachments. Next level prestige you can put your emblem on the gun.

Hawaii 22

Neo Member
It's great with Bouncing Betty. Can't think of a better, more useful combo.

Don't know about better, but when you run Scorpion Evo + Rapid Fire you need a damn lot of bullets.
First time I heard that BRRRRRR sound the Evo does when rapid firing, I actually loughed out loud. Had to take the Evo as perma-unlock when I prestiged.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
Okay, just in here to vent. I reset my stats and I lost everything. Yeah, I know, I should have read everything but the game was starting and I just hit "ok."

In short, I'm now back to level 16 and instead of Prestiging twice, will have to work to Prestige once. Hate the fact that I'm getting owned too since the usual lot of weapons I count on are still locked! Arggh! Again, I know it's my fault but just annoying that I thought it's reset stats thing was the same as BF3 Premium. :(

Don't feel bad. Three beers deep and the next round was about to start. No time to read, go go go!!

I hit Fresh Start without reading, and wiped all my crap. Stats, camos, everything. I'm back up to 34 now, thanks to double Xp, but I had a shit ton of camos unlocked. = (

Top Bottom