• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Man, I just gave up on the strike force missions.

I tried the first one twice and twice Ithey kiled everyone.

Alsdo, its annoying so I dont have the patience to try again.

Im continuing the story and thats that :p

hamchan

Finished the campaign. I think I got a bad ending lol. Probably the beat CoD camapign yet. From the setting, the whole choice thing and the strike force missions, it all felt very fresh. I hope every CoD from now on continues with the choice stuff. They did it better than Mass Effect 3 this year. I'm itching to jump back in and make some different decisions.

Also really helps that I enjoyed the BLOPS storyline and am attached to the characters.

Fantasmo

Speaking of Lag compensation, has there been any word on it being nerfed?

Not going to buy until they nerf it significantly. Lag Comp in MW3 was game breaking :(
Treyarch doesn't think its a problem. They think it benefits the game. Also, due to the camper witchhunt enemies stick together, maps are wide open with multiple entryways into any given location, and the spawns put enemies within 4 seconds of you. So if you suffered from lag compensation like I did you have multiple scenarios per game where you come up on two guys, kill them, and have another enemy in front of you and a previous one already coming up from behind you. Couple this with half to full second delays and you'll never have an upper hand no matter what your strategy.

If they would be open to removing it, and fixing thre spawns and closing up future maps, it'd probably be great but after two games with this happening I'm personally open to looking for another game for my fix.

Halcyon

Last night was a crappy mixture of laggy mess and awesome fun.

I got the gold camo and master emblem for the M27.

I usually run 3 attachment optic hybrid quick grip and fast mag. I switched out fast mag for silencer and I seem to do a bit better.

My play style is usually flank rush and I would get a few kills then get swarmed. The silencer has helped a lot with that.

I'm gonna switch to super lame smg rusher and see how I fare at that play style(if you can't beat them join them)

I've just jumped into multiplayer in the last couple of days and am really enjoying it. I can't believe how much better it feels than MW3...huge difference.

I'm having a hard time moving away from the very first AR you get, but want to play with some of the other load outs. What are people here running with?

I haven't unlocked Ghost yet...sitting at level 23 with a lousy kdr.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've just jumped into multiplayer in the last couple of days and am really enjoying it. I can't believe how much better it feels than MW3...huge difference.

I'm having a hard time moving away from the very first AR you get, but want to play with some of the other load outs. What are people here running with?

I haven't unlocked Ghost yet...sitting at level 23 with a lousy kdr.

The M27 i find is a better full auto ar if you liked the m4 from previous cods. Dont think you unlock the scar that early. The fal is good if you want single shot. Pdw and the msnbc as i call it are also amazing guns.

Love the M27 iron sights, feel like im using the COD4 MP5 again.

M8 is the best full auto and burst gun
M27 isn't as good full auto but the saved attachment slot is a bonus.

Fistwell

Regarding the FAL, have to say I don't understand the point of full auto. You can easily *click*click*click* it to have a much higher rate of fire in single shot/semi-auto than you get in full auto by keeping the button pressed. What am I missing?

Kyoufu

Regarding the FAL, have to say I don't understand the point of full auto. You can easily *click*click*click* it to have a much higher rate of fire in single shot/semi-auto than you get in full auto by keeping the button pressed. What am I missing?

We're lazy ok.

alterno69

Banned
Last night was a crappy mixture of laggy mess and awesome fun.

I got the gold camo and master emblem for the M27.

I usually run 3 attachment optic hybrid quick grip and fast mag. I switched out fast mag for silencer and I seem to do a bit better.

My play style is usually flank rush and I would get a few kills then get swarmed. The silencer has helped a lot with that.

I'm gonna switch to super lame smg rusher and see how I fare at that play style(if you can't beat them join them)
Super lame SMG? Why blame the players and not the game? I rock an SMG not because i knew about them in forums but because after trying all the weapons they fit my style better.

Halcyon

Super lame SMG? Why blame the players and not the game? I rock an SMG not because i knew about them in forums but because after trying all the weapons they fit my style better.

I'm just saying lame as in I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon. Running around hip firing through lag is kinda unfun as a concept though. I feel the same way about snipers though.

Mileena

Banned
Shoutouts to all who used SMGs in the other games. All these bandwagoners giving SMGs a bad name.

That being said, giving the PDW a rest and been using the AN94. It's pretty good most of the time.

Halcyon

On a side note I've been encountering some shield users lately. If they are coming at you head on you can shoot their feet pretty easy and get the kill. Otherwise circle strafing works pretty well.

zeelman

Treyarch doesn't think its a problem. They think it benefits the game. Also, due to the camper witchhunt enemies stick together, maps are wide open with multiple entryways into any given location, and the spawns put enemies within 4 seconds of you. So if you suffered from lag compensation like I did you have multiple scenarios per game where you come up on two guys, kill them, and have another enemy in front of you and a previous one already coming up from behind you. Couple this with half to full second delays and you'll never have an upper hand no matter what your strategy.

If they would be open to removing it, and fixing thre spawns and closing up future maps, it'd probably be great but after two games with this happening I'm personally open to looking for another game for my fix.

Its not that the lag compensation itself is a problem (its in every online multiplayer FPS), its the degree in which this game has it that's the problem. Normal lag compensation is supposed to give everyone an even playing field when it comes to connections, but this game takes it to the extreme. They need to tone it down.

Kyoufu

On a side note I've been encountering some shield users lately. If they are coming at you head on you can shoot their feet pretty easy and get the kill. Otherwise circle strafing works pretty well.

Here's a tip: Drop a Bouncing Betty directly onto them so that it lands on them and crushes them instantly. I laugh every time.

If you unlock select fire for the FAL, does it make it full auto? Is there any sort of damage loss? Because that seems like it would be ridiculous. Recoil?

It becomes full auto yes. I don't think there is any damage loss. It's a beast of a weapon.

If you unlock select fire for the FAL, does it make it full auto? Is there any sort of damage loss? Because that seems like it would be ridiculous. Recoil?

amar212

Udhj9.jpg

Fantasmo

Its not that the lag compensation itself is a problem (its in every online multiplayer FPS), its the degree in which this game has it that's the problem. Normal lag compensation is supposed to give everyone an even playing field when it comes to connections, but this game takes it to the extreme. They need to tone it down.

I don't know how often lag compensation is used in multiplayer gaming, nor do I care. I don't think that makes me arrogant or ignorant (and I hope I don't come across as attacking you specifically, but I felt it warranted a response). We are a decade into mass market broadband and online gaming is much worse for me than it used to be.

I don't accept that. Connections are getting better by the year and yet reaction times and gameplay is worse. I have to anticipate battles by a full second, have my sights raised, or take someone from behind in order to get a couple kills. This coming from someone who enjoys head-on fights and ducking for cover when health is low, then regrouping and doing it again. I could do that in Modern Warfare 2, but I haven't been able to do it since then. This is infuriating.

Some people in their quest to level the playing field are sabotaging their connections in order to compete. I'm not sure why people aren't much more vocal about this. It needs to go away, full stop and we need to see the quality of our connection. If I get a bad game from matchmaking, fine, it will happen. But let me see that, and stop holding my experience hostage because I happen to have, whatever it is, that causes me to be the biggest sufferer of dreaded lag compensation.

This should actually be a new thread but I've been pretty vocal about the insane Nuketown shenanigans and other BO2 problems, so I'm gonna look like a total jerk and a Treyarch hater if I'm the one posting it. Maybe it should be posted in a few weeks or near Christmas. Whatever. The reality is I give each game an equal chance. MW2 had the steadiest experience for me. BO was horrible at launch and still bad. MW3 was even worse. And magically BO2 is worse than that!

It's a serious problem for some of us, so maybe someone more level in their approach should post about it and get some movement going on this. It completely breaks the games that have it for people like me who for some reason have an incredibly stable speedy connection.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to return this today or not. It's 7 days today but I never loved Halo. Where's Carmack when you need him? Right, making desert racing games with buggies :(

No downside, it's perfect. Pop, pop, pop, enemy down. Worth the grind.

LowParry

Shoutouts to all who used SMGs in the other games. All these bandwagoners giving SMGs a bad name.

That being said, giving the PDW a rest and been using the AN94. It's pretty good most of the time.

Like I said before, I think all the assault rifles need the proper attachments to make them really good for use. For the AN94, the foregrip and silencer I think are a huge must for the gun. But if you want to add that third attachment, it certainly helps in the long run. It gives you plenty of options. FMJ, dual mag, extended mag just to name the few. Iron sights on the AN94 works perfectly fine for me. Same with the SCAR.

njean777

I don't know how often lag compensation is used in multiplayer gaming, nor do I care. I don't think that makes me arrogant or ignorant (and I hope I don't come across as attacking you specifically, but I felt it warranted a response). We are a decade into mass market broadband and online gaming is much worse for me than it used to be.

I don't accept that. Connections are getting better by the year and yet reaction times and gameplay is worse. I have to anticipate battles by a full second, have my sights raised, or take someone from behind in order to get a couple kills. This coming from someone who enjoys head-on fights and ducking for cover when health is low, then regrouping and doing it again. I could do that in Modern Warfare 2, but I haven't been able to do it since then. This is infuriating.

Some people in their quest to level the playing field are sabotaging their connections in order to compete. I'm not sure why people aren't much more vocal about this. It needs to go away, full stop and we need to see the quality of our connection. If I get a bad game from matchmaking, fine, it will happen. But let me see that, and stop holding my experience hostage because I happen to have, whatever it is, that causes me to be the biggest sufferer of dreaded lag compensation.

This should actually be a new thread but I've been pretty vocal about the insane Nuketown shenanigans and other BO2 problems, so I'm gonna look like a total jerk and a Treyarch hater if I'm the one posting it. Maybe it should be posted in a few weeks or near Christmas. Whatever. The reality is I give each game an equal chance. MW2 had the steadiest experience for me. BO was horrible at launch and still bad. MW3 was even worse. And magically BO2 is worse than that!

It's a serious problem for some of us, so maybe someone more level in their approach should post about it and get some movement going on this. It completely breaks the games that have it for people like me who for some reason have an incredibly stable speedy connection.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to return this today or not. It's 7 days today but I never loved Halo. Where's Carmack when you need him? Right, making desert racing games with buggies :(

No downside, it's perfect. Pop, pop, pop, enemy down. Worth the grind.

I agree with you, but I will admit IW did fix MW3 after patches. Have you tried it recently at all? If you don't like the maps I can understand, but the lag compensation was fixed for me after some patches.

Effect

If anyone is playing the Wii U version and still can't get their Wii remote settings right there are presets. Don't remember if you can get to them before a match starts while in the menus but you can from the gamepad during the match. There are several options from Beginner to Professional. Advanced (3rd one) seems to be working well at the moment as I couldn't remember what my Wii settings were and even then I kept messing around with them at the time. What I was doing on my own just wasn't helping either. The advance preset does things to the settings (checked the controller settings after I was done playing) that I wouldn't have thought about doing on my own. So thanks to Treyarch for working those out. Better to have those adjust then do it yourself from scratch.

MW3 never got lag comp under control for me so I really don't have high expectations at this point for blops2. I refuse to jump in until it sounds like they solve this but that's hard.

Nori Chan

I think I finally hit my groove on last night when I played domination and tdm last night with a couple friends that I'm comfortable playing with.

Raised my KD to 1.87 to 1.99 and my win loss to 1.07 to 1.3

I think I barely level 35 first prestige as well

Maybr I'm doing better cause I unlocked ghost..........

Fantasmo

I agree with you, but I will admit IW did fix MW3 after patches. Have you tried it recently at all? If you don't like the maps I can understand, but the lag compensation was fixed for me after some patches.

I would but I sold it a few months before they patched it. I gave them eight months and it took them around ten to address it. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I think they intentionally wait. They already know how to adjust it, they just don't want to until the casuals start moving on.

MW3 never got lag comp under control for me so I really don't have high expectations at this point for blops2. I refuse to jump in until it sounds like they solve this but that's hard.

If the $60 is important to you, borrow someone's copy first or rent it from a Red Box if you have one nearby. Redbox.com can show you the nearest location and it'll only set you back $2 a day. I'm being totally serious when I say it's worse than ever for me.

mephixto

Banned

I broke 2 mouses in MW2 and MW3 (M14) doing *click*click*click

Guessing select fire FAL is going to get nerfed within two weeks, after which everybody is going to move to select fire SMR.

As some said before, using single fire has better fire rate and accuracy so you still gonna die.

Now talking about the FAL, using full auto and silencer seems that don't register many headshots. I killed a lot of people behind cover and with only a small part of the head visible but yet it requires 2 or more shots and none register as heashot.

This is 100% fact. I played it the other day after Black Ops 2 was pissing me off so much. Wanted to see if it really was that much better and holy shit, felt 100000000x better. I imagine they will get the game patched up, I just hope its soon. Cause its borderline unplayable for me at the moment.

Sethos

Banned
Am I the only one getting close to the magical wall with this game? I want to play, I like the game but every time you boot up the game it's like a coin toss between having a fantastic experience or suffering from lag compensation and getting frustrated as hell, which can ruin your entire evening.

idk if i was just having a bad night with my internet or if my games were laggy but it was frustrating to say the least

first time my kd dipped below 1.0 with my fal select fire+target sight+grip setup

Bought this game yesterday and holy shit at this lag. I consider myself a pretty decent COD player but I don't have a fucking chance at this game... totally unplayable for me most of the time. Oh man, I miss those MW1/MW2 days when I didn't have to rage about the connections this much.

harrytang

I was shielding with a buddy of mine last night. It was probably the most fun ive ever had in blops 2 yet.

everyone reacts differently with a shield coming at them and with a good setup you can stay competitive in a match. obviously the reduced bash makes it hard to melee, but I've been equipping 2 hatchets, the 2 perk gloves, and 3 shot burst pistol.

dumb people think you have no offensive capabilities and reload a few feet away from you after you absorb their whole clip, perfect time to throw a hatchet in the face. sometimes people see you and turn their back on you, perfect time to switch to pistol and shoot them in the back.

lot of fun in ground wars with kill confirmed. hoover up those tags like nobodies business. again the hatchet comes in handy here. you also get a lot of assists as you cause the distraction and team mates get the kill.

this playstyle did not do anything to help my k/d but it was damn fun. i recommend it in HC TDM and GW DOM and KC.

Yup, I hardly ever touched any other kind of weapon in MW3. PP90M1 and MP7 for me. I'm loving the fact that the MP7 is an early unlock in Blops II, but I have enjoyed playing around with the FAL as well.

How are you finding it without Ghost?

My current dilemma is dropping Ghost and Flak Jacket :(

I haven't used Ghost once yet and I'm doing just fine in TDM. If you shoot down UAV's how important is ghost? Not to mention you have to be moving at full speed to even avoid UAV.

IMO Ghost has little value in this game. My k/d in TDM is about 1.35 right now.

I unlocked the M8A1 with my first prestige, and I think it's a great gun. I don't get all the SMG complainers. I think all the guns are viable options, just like the previous COD's. I play differently depending on the type of gun I have. I can do just as well running around on a map like Cargo with different weapons. If I'm using an assault rifle, I'm sticking to the tops of the containers, and taking longer distance shots at people. If I'm playing with an SMG, I'm staying away from the tops of containers, and I'm trying to flank people on the ground level.

Atruvius

Got the game today and played two MP matches and two single player missions. Campaign seems to great, much much better than in IW's games.

I have to agree that SMGs seem to be quite over powered. In my first match I start with an Assault Rifle. Got only one kill with it and a dozen deaths, everyone else were using SMGs. Next match I used an SMG and got 10 kills in the match, two were from C4.

Playing on PC and you can add on Steam. Id same as here.

I haven't used Ghost once yet and I'm doing just fine in TDM. If you shoot down UAV's how important is ghost? Not to mention you have to be moving at full speed to even avoid UAV.

IMO Ghost has little value in this game. My k/d in TDM is about 1.35 right now.

Not quite, it's basically half speed

Top Bottom