• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

.nimrod

So where is this Chaos Moshpit on the PC version?

IEPnh.png

Nizz

Now that people have settled in with the game for a week now, how do you feel it compares to MW3? I got caught up in the COD hype and started playing MW3 again, which I angrily regret.

Lag compensation is something that I feel wrecked MW3, so infuriating to have somebody round a corner and instantly kill you, where as in the killcam he had completely rounded the corner and I was just sitting there like an idiot.

I can't stop playing these games although sometimes they make me rage. But if BO2 is more of the same then maybe I just need to move on from the series for my sanity, lol.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Now that people have settled in with the game for a week now, how do you feel it compares to MW3? I got caught up in the COD hype and started playing MW3 again, which I angrily regret.

Lag compensation is something that I feel wrecked MW3, so infuriating to have somebody round a corner and instantly kill you, where as in the killcam he had completely rounded the corner and I was just sitting there like an idiot.

I can't stop playing these games although sometimes they make me rage. But if BO2 is more of the same then maybe I just need to move on from the series for my sanity, lol.

It plays almost the same as MW3, but worse at the same time if you end up on the ass end of the lag compensation which is even worse than it was when MW3 first came out. If you are going to get it I would suggest waiting till they start putting out some proper patches.

Kyoufu

I'm enjoying it much more than MW3 but Lag Compensation must be fixed if I'm going to play this in 2013.

Makoto

People will say yes but seeing as COD4 is still the best, I don't see why not.
Because CoD4's MP design is outdated. Stacking streak rewards like in CoD4 was a bad idea and it became even more obvious when the practice was stopped in the first Black Ops. Someone from Treyarch said it best when they talked about stacking streak rewards, they called it a system where, "the rich got richer." That's the truth and this is coming from someone who was no stranger to acquiring high streak rewards.

Victrix

*beard*
^^^: Haha, funny that I should post this now. Not sure what you guys are talking about, but streaks DO stack in BO2.

I don't know if Treyarch is watching this forum, but if so:

You need to fix the inability of controlled Scorestreaks to loop.

I earned a second Lodestar while inside my first Lodestar, and the second was 'wasted'. When I got out I was working on my UAV again with no Lodestar ready.

Had I used an uncontrolled streak like the Stealth Chopper or had I gamed the system by stopping my attacks while in the Lodestar when close to my second, I would have earned another.

Because I actually used it, I lost a second Lodestar. That seems pretty ass backwards.

Presumably this applies to the VTOL and AGR as well.

Makoto

^^^: Haha, funny that I should post this now. Not sure what you guys are talking about, but streaks DO stack in BO2.
On a severely minute level if you're playing objective games. So small that it's almost a non-factor against competent opponents.

Makoto

Huh? I have no idea what you're talking about - if you use ANY streak, at ANY time, you earn points towards the next one, even if you die between earning and using it.
Like I said, if you're playing objective games, the points you earn are minuscule. You get +25 points for every player a stealth chopper takes out. And really, that only makes difference if the opposing team is too incompetent to avoid the chopper or shoot it down. It's nowhere near as awful as how CoD4 handled it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Currently there are 40k people playing the Chaos Moshpit playlist which I imagine is because of Nuketown, and 44k people playing Core Team Deathmatch.

People love Nuketown, I don't get how Treyarch couldn't see that.

Victrix

*beard*
Like I said, if you're playing objective games, the points you earn are minuscule. You get +25 points for every player a stealth chopper takes out. And really, that only makes difference if the opposing team is too incompetent to avoid the chopper or shoot it down. It's nowhere near as awful as how CoD4 handled it.

Ah, yeah for sure, but it's inaccurate to say that they don't stack - they absolutely do.

It's not nearly to the level of chopper looping in cod4 where you could die with an earned chopper, call it in, and start up a fresh streak that way. Hell, even MW2 handled it better than that :V

Higher streaks are harder to earn in BO2 because the point gap and kills gap is severely skewed compared to the far too easy Predator->Harrier combo in MW2.

I notice that I earn a ton more Bloodthirsty medals (5 consecutive kills) than I do Merciless (10), and I seriously doubt that's a coincidence, I'm sure they looked at players average streaks and tinkered with the scorestreak points to account for those numbers.

All that said, if you want to earn the 1k+ streaks more easily, play Kill Confirmed :D A good rampage of anywhere near 10 kills and you can earn any of the mid-high streaks, with Hardline, you can earn any of the high streaks.

I was just complaining about the fact that because I did earn like ~100 points in my Lodestar, I lost a second one, because I seriously couldn't find a place to lie down and call in my first one. I kept running around the level trying to find a corner to hide in and they kept pouring out in front of me. I had 15+ kills before I got to use the first one :V

Nizz

It plays almost the same as MW3, but worse at the same time if you end up on the ass end of the lag compensation which is even worse than it was when MW3 first came out. If you are going to get it I would suggest waiting till they start putting out some proper patches.

I'm enjoying it much more than MW3 but Lag Compensation must be fixed if I'm going to play this in 2013.
Thanks for the answers. Man I don't know, it sounds like I may skip this one. It's getting harder and harder to compete against all the younger people playing this game nowadays. That lag compensation is the worst.

aku:jiki

Because I actually used it, I lost a second Lodestar. That seems pretty ass backwards.

Presumably this applies to the VTOL and AGR as well.
Aw, I was hoping they'd fix that. MW3 was stupid in the same way, you couldn't have more than one of each killstreak anymore. Killstreak haters will say "GOOD!", but damn it, I earned that shit.

Victrix

*beard*
Aw, I was hoping they'd fix that. MW3 was stupid in the same way, you couldn't have more than one of each killstreak anymore. Killstreak haters will say "GOOD!", but damn it, I earned that shit.

Actually I totally agree with the sentiment that rich get richer gameplay is generally a bad thing - but in this case, it's a bug, because if I'd done the same thing with Stealth Chopper/K9/Swarm, I'd have earned a second. Either fix it, or remove it for all of them.

And that aside, I think Scorestreaks are brilliant and I've been waiting for them to change to rewarding objective play since MW2, which encouraged camping in a building over B dom and never capping a point to earn a chopper gunner/ac130/nuke. I think Medal of Honor of all things did it first, and MW3 was part way there, but this system in BO2 is the refined version.

DTKT

So, the killstreaks are pretty disappointing. As much as it saddens me to admit it, MW2 had the best, most awesome and incredibly satisfying killstreaks.

Calling a nuke after 25 kills was just glorious. The AC-130 was awesome, the chopper gunner was orgasmic. But I guess they were not "balanced". Bleh.

I actually unlocked the spinning nuke icon for launching 5 nukes. I don't know why they removed them from BO2 and just added killcards. Kind of boring really. An animated emblem added a bit of distinction from the rest.

Victrix

*beard*
The VTOL in this game is more lethal than the Chopper Gunner in MW2, and the Swarm is full map death. The Lodestar is also way nastier than the Reaper was in MW3.

Sadly people now know how to shoot down scorestreaks, so the VTOL (and Lodestar to a lesser extent) doesn't last long.

I do agree the sfx for them aren't nearly as good. The CG and AC130 sounded terrifying and awesome.

But along those lines, call in a Warthog on Turbine or Carrier and watch the complete carnage that ensues, and it sounds like a roaring demon above, probably the best of the streaks in the audio department.

Makoto

I am really having a pleasant experience on PC. 80% of players always have four green bars.
What playlists are you typically playing? My experiences seem a bit more hit or miss but I've been playing Mercenary Moshpit which (for some reason) doesn't have a high player count.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Now that people have settled in with the game for a week now, how do you feel it compares to MW3?

I still prefer MW3 for the three different types of streaks, TEAM DEFENDER, and my good old trusty Recon Drone, but I find that Blops 2 is the most similar to MW2 and 3 out of all the Treyarch outings. And for that, I find it to be the best one. Plus the Pick 10 system is absolutely the best Create a Class system in COD yet imo.

But along those lines, call in a Warthog on Turbine or Carrier and watch the complete carnage that ensues, and it sounds like a roaring demon above, probably the best of the streaks in the audio department.

I called in a Warthog on Slums actually. It made 4 passes. Holy fuckin' shit. Dat sound. Dat score. Went something like 30-12. Gonna try and upload it to youtube actually.

What playlists are you typically playing? My experiences seem a bit more hit or miss but I've been playing Mercenary Moshpit which (for some reason) doesn't have a high player count.

Domination and Multi/Tri Team. Remember that on PC you can set your preferences to search for the best possible connection.

hobz360

Any 360 users playing on live right now? I've had 5 games in a row where every single player ha a 1 bar :/ Laggy as fuck.....

Victrix

*beard*
Domination and Multi/Tri Team. Remember that on PC you can set your preferences to search for the best possible connection.

You can do this on the consoles as well. Hit Find Game and tap X to change search preferences to 'best connection'.

Still no way of knowing how well it works, if it works in a party, etc. Certainly doesn't stop me from getting pissed off nightly :p

Acinixys

Remember that on PC you can set your preferences to search for the best possible connection.

This only works if youre in EU the the US. The only games i can join with BEST as my preference are TDM. Every other gamemode i get stuck on an international server with 2 bars.

Y U GIVE NO SERVER BROWSER ON PC!

Kyoufu

Because CoD4's MP design is outdated. Stacking streak rewards like in CoD4 was a bad idea and it became even more obvious when the practice was stopped in the first Black Ops. Someone from Treyarch said it best when they talked about stacking streak rewards, they called it a system where, "the rich got richer." That's the truth and this is coming from someone who was no stranger to acquiring high streak rewards.

That "rich get richer" excuse makes no sense. It allows the lesser able players to reach heights that the already rich can reach anyway.

Makoto

That "rich get richer" excuse makes no sense. It allows the lesser able players to reach heights that the already rich can reach anyway.
But that's going in with the assumption that the lesser players are capable of breaking 2 killstreaks. The thing is, they aren't because the players with the high streak rewards have been bombing them with airstrikes and because of the kills they got from the airstrike, they're now going to call in the attack chopper and easily repeat the cycle.

FStop7

Banned
I prestiged my precious FAL last night. I don't think I'll be doing that again. Losing all the attachments is shit.

And I am now halfway through level 54 so I should hit the cap this evening. Trying to decide whether or not to prestige. I have never prestiged in a COD game before so I'll probably do it once for the hell of it.

Everdred

So, the killstreaks are pretty disappointing. As much as it saddens me to admit it, MW2 had the best, most awesome and incredibly satisfying killstreaks.

Calling a nuke after 25 kills was just glorious. The AC-130 was awesome, the chopper gunner was orgasmic. But I guess they were not "balanced". Bleh.

I actually unlocked the spinning nuke icon for launching 5 nukes. I don't know why they removed them from BO2 and just added killcards. Kind of boring really. An animated emblem added a bit of distinction from the rest.

COD 4 is the best overall game but man MW2 was a fucking blast online. I loved the chaos.

Halcyon

I prestiged my precious FAL last night. I don't think I'll be doing that again. Losing all the attachments is shit.

And I am now halfway through level 54 so I should hit the cap this evening. Trying to decide whether or not to prestige. I have never prestiged in a COD game before so I'll probably do it once for the hell of it.

I mastered the M27(prestige twice) and got all the camos. It really doesn't take that long to get all the attachments again.

Plus you get your logo and clan tag on a gold gun!

Kyoufu

But that's going in with the assumption that the lesser players are capable of breaking 2 killstreaks. The thing is, they aren't because the players with the high streak rewards have been bombing them with airstrikes and because of the kills they got from the airstrike, they're now going to call in the attack chopper and easily repeat the cycle.

Actually, yeah, you're right, but I was far more successful in reaching those streaks in COD4 than I am in the Black Ops games. Yes I suck. :(

Victrix

*beard*
COD 4 is the best overall game but man MW2 was a fucking blast online. I loved the chaos.

It still is :V

I was playing CoD4 and MW2 in the last few weeks. Still fun. CoD4's community is tiny, MW2 has a bit larger one - less popular playlists are small, but the more popular lists still had plenty of players. Even some new low level players o_O

Both games are probably depleted due to BO2, but I think there are still people who simply prefer those games for one reason or another.

If they'd just patch the fucking OMA tubing out of MW2 :| It's almost the only thing I don't like about that game, and only bad in a few modes (but very bad in those modes).

I also wish the damn maps and map packs weren't scattered all over every game. Hate splitting the playerbase over maps so much, and its frustrating to have awesome maps lost to previous games in the series for no good reason.

DTKT

Actually, yeah, you're right, but I was far more successful in reaching those streaks in COD4 than I am in the Black Ops games. Yes I suck. :(

I'll say this, reaching 1600 points or higher killstreaks is harder in BO2.

Also, UAV+Guardian+Sentry in domination is hilarious. You can place two of each which allows you to pretty much lock down any points. Good fun.

FStop7

Banned
I was playing MW3 a lot early last week. The last time I'd played it was just after it came out. The improvements in netcode and matchmaking were pretty drastic. I hope BLOPS 2 gets the same level of improvement, though it would be nice for just once to have this stuff decent out of the box.

Last night's matchmaking was atrocious, and I had at least 4 or 5 games crash out due connection loss to the host.

Chaos Moshpit is pretty fun. Nuketown comes up so often that it may as well be Nuketown 24/7 again. Had some really intense rounds of Demolition on there.

DTKT

Are SMGs really overpowered? Is it anything like that FMG problem that MW3 had? I have played a bit with the SMGs but have never had much luck.

I think part of the issue is that most of the maps are really focused around tight corners and CQB. In that kind of scenario, SMG's will always come out on top. There is a pretty big tradeoff of range but it never really matters. The increased speed, mobility and sprint time outweighs the shortish range and the low damage.

There is very little reason to use anything else but the Vector or the Skorpion EVO 3. I've had some success with the auto-FAL but it's never going to be as efficient as any of the SMGs.

I do better with the FAL than the Skorpion. I've had a lot more practice with the FAL though. Also keep in mind some people have different play styles and are thus suited to different weapons.

There's no dual-wielding any more, right? I haven't played CoD since MW2. Dual wielding SMGs were crazy back then.

Victrix

*beard*
Target Finder on an AR/LMG is the great SMG equalizer

Or Scavenger + Betties/Claymores/Shock Charges and post up in a good defensible position.

Or use a Shotgun and 1hk them.

I still have a lot of issues with SMGs due to the maps and the netcode, but they're definitely beatable.

Kyoufu

Or Scavenger + Betties/Claymores/Shock Charges and post up in a good defensible position.

I still have a lot of issues with SMGs due to the maps and the netcode, but they're definitely beatable.

Yeah they are beatable for sure, but the netcode can be very harsh. :(

DTKT

Absolutely, but that requires some extra effort ;P

The easy way out is definitely the SMG route. It has insane hipfire and very little recoil.

Everdred

It still is :V

I was playing CoD4 and MW2 in the last few weeks. Still fun. CoD4's community is tiny, MW2 has a bit larger one - less popular playlists are small, but the more popular lists still had plenty of players. Even some new low level players o_O

Well I would still play MW2 but I have the PC version and last time I tried to play it took me about 45 minutes to finally get in a game.

I still prefer MW3 for the three different types of streaks, TEAM DEFENDER, and my good old trusty Recon Drone, but I find that Blops 2 is the most similar to MW2 and 3 out of all the Treyarch outings. And for that, I find it to be the best one. Plus the Pick 10 system is absolutely the best Create a Class system in COD yet imo.

I agree with this completely. This is easily the best Treyarch COD yet.

I still prefer Infinity Ward's work though.

Top Bottom