• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

HiiiLife

I'll be sure to ask people who's who when I see "GAF" for a clan tag. It was cool joining a random match and seeing someone who browses GAF.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hm.. fuck it I don't care anymore. Wanna win? Forget NAT leave it open. Forget DMZ leave it on UPnP if that's what you have already. I wasted weeks on that and redoing my connections and contemplated a better monitor or a wired controller. Forget headphones, Awareness perk, drop shotting, etc. Nothing worked. I'm always behind. Leave Search quality on Best. I played with extreme concentration and that didn't work.

Just stream a 1080p video while playing. If that's not enough stream 2. Go to Youtube set a filter for long videos.

Boom. You'll run circles around your enemies. Where you aim is where you hit. Your bullets will land on your opponent not to the left or right, and you'll get the shots around the corner and your spins in CQC will start first. You'll be the guy who they keep watching the Killcam and Theater about. Your shots will land where they belong, like magic. You don't need to drop it to 1 bar. It'll still show 4, possibly 3. As an added bonus you'll never get host.

Do it before every match.

The fuckin game is broken. If you're anything like me you'll realize its not even worth playing competitive games anymore. MW2 worked normally but nothing since. Fuck CoD and fuck Activision. Your shit makes more than Quake and Unreal ever did combined and it makes it annually. Bring back dedicated servers. Leave matchmaking where it belongs. Coop games and fighting games (1on1).
I had a 1080p playlist playing on my PC while streaming 3 radio stations (Winamp, 2 in browser) while the wife clucked around on the laptop upstairs and I had another radio station streaming on my phone.

4 bar connection. Why? BANDWIDTH isnt the issue - its PING. You can soak all the bandwidth you want and it wont make a difference.

I also tried tethering my PS3 to my Nexus and throttled data down to "Edge" network. Took about 45 seconds to sign into PSN, about a minute to connect to COD servers, about 2 minutes to find a server and I got...

4 bars. I had 1 bar on my damn phone.

How the shit does the netcode get 4 bars while on "Edge" (TMO)?

My guess is that the COD servers are getting everyone's ping wrong - how I have no clue.

I could give a shit if 1 player (the host) has a small advantage. If they really wanted a better workaround to that issue hey should limit how many times he can host - like 1 match out of 10. Instead we get netcode so shitty the game remains unplayable since it is based off of the lowest ping.

Fuck that. People pay money for good connections - and we are penalized for it.

HiiiLife

^yup. That's how I personally feel regarding someone's Internet. Really shitty to have good Internet only to have it handicapped to the point where your performance is worse than everyone else's.

Fantasmo

I had a 1080p playlist playing on my PC while streaming 3 radio stations (Winamp, 2 in browser) while the wife clucked around on the laptop upstairs and I had another radio station streaming on my phone.

4 bar connection. Why? BANDWIDTH isnt the issue - its PING. You can soak all the bandwidth you want and it wont make a difference.

I also tried tethering my PS3 to my Nexus and throttled data down to "Edge" network. Took about 45 seconds to sign into PSN, about a minute to connect to COD servers, about 2 minutes to find a server and I got...

4 bars. I had 1 bar on my damn phone.

How the shit does the netcode get 4 bars while on "Edge" (TMO)?

My guess is that the COD servers are getting everyone's ping wrong - how I have no clue.

I could give a shit if 1 player (the host) has a small advantage. If they really wanted a better workaround to that issue hey should limit how many times he can host - like 1 match out of 10. Instead we get netcode so shitty the game remains unplayable since it is based off of the lowest ping.

Fuck that. People pay money for good connections - and we are penalized for it.
Well I can't say how big your bandwidth is, but when I stream multiple things it borks something enough to kill the games desire to give me host or even lag comp and it just works. Everything works like in the old games. I get top scores, hitmarkers on the enemies instead of thin air when it feels like it and I feel like Neo in the Matrix. Maybe your bandwidth is higher than mine.

And yes, 4 bar off a phone surprises me not. Think about that people. You're trying to shoot targets that are on a slow cell phone. So if you think the game is sending lots of information, or lightweight smg is just too much to keep up you're wrong. Its just that the game allows these heinous connections to run and with lag comp the game breaks your normal or high rate connection to hell. If a cell phone is updating slowly you can't hit the guy. The game makes predictions but the guy is not there. Of course HE can though, new onscreen information be damned. After running all these tests and coming to the conclusion I did, I realize they truly, truly don't give a damn, so neither do I !

Badgerst3

Shock grenades with bouncing Betty's are so fun.

Rushing kids with smg always get nailed at least once a round and I suck.

Somehow did get first place on slums free for all with above and a silenced Pdw.

Crossbow is also pretty easy for afterlife medals since you can stick a rusher, die and he goes boom.

I like the mp more than I thought I would.

aku:jiki

I want to recall that the netcode actually does that too, switches host after every match. Which just exacerbates the problem because you can't even counteract the bullshit lag by sticking with a good lobby. They make some very frustrating decisions.

Got my Karl Pilkington on deck.

iRvUsJyjJBMJr.png

LOVE IT.

Are you on PS3? I ran into a Karl emblem today and sent him a message saying the pic was awesome.

Seul Fantome

Neo Member
The spawns are screwing me over more than anything else.

After spawning directly on a Bouncing Betty three times today, I had to put the game down.

This game needs to nerf all the hipfire scrub BS.

I just played a match with some guy who got six kills on me of those six kills not a single one was he aiming down the sights and least one of the kills was 50+ feet away. Something needs to be done when 2/3rds of all guns in every match are SMGs with a laser sight.

Acinixys

I just played a match with some guy who got six kills on me of those six kills not a single one was he aiming down the sights and least one of the kills was 50+ feet away. Something needs to be done when 2/3rds of all guns in every match are SMGs with a laser sight.

Picked up a Scorpion with Rapid Fire/Laser today. All of my lol. It shoots so fast that the game only registers that the enemy is dead .5 of a second later. Got 10 kills before a stray grenade got me

ohlawd

Can Treyarch even fix the spawns for this game?

Black Ops 1 spawns took a while to get fixed and it wasn't perfect. Since the maps in this game are MW3-level, we'll probably never see a decent reworking for the spawn system :(

lol yesterday I was on Hijacked Domination and I spawed and died in the same spot 6 times with a dude ADS'd a couple feet away from me. I was like "hello? I've died here way too many times, how about you spawn me on the other side of the ship now? >_>"

Can Treyarch even fix the spawns for this game?

Black Ops 1 spawns took a while to get fixed and it wasn't perfect. Since the maps in this game are MW3-level, we'll probably never see a decent reworking for the spawn system :(

lol yesterday I was on Hijacked Domination and I spawed and died in the same spot 6 times with a dude ADS'd a couple feet away from me. I was like "hello? I've died here way too many times, how about you spawn me on the other side of the ship now? >_>"

I guess they could do permanent sides but then people would complain about spawn camping.
Thats better than what it is now though.

Is it confirmed you get everything unlocked when you hit final Prestige? I haven't seen anything from the devs that confirms it and I doubt anyone actually hit it yet and I don't see a source in the OP.

I hate this unlock token limitation crap but I don't really want to waste time grinding to max if I'm still going to be stuck with only 55 unlocks.

mxgt

Banned
I think I'm going to stop playing this until SMG hipfire gets nerfed

Almost everyone is doing it, shit's ridiculous. I get killed from a mile away and the killcam is the dude hipfiring me, lol.

I like the game, but this needs to change.

Is it confirmed you get everything unlocked when you hit final Prestige? I haven't seen anything from the devs that confirms it and I doubt anyone actually hit it yet.

I hate this unlock token limitation crap but I don't really want to waste time grinding to max if I'm still going to be stuck with only 55 unlocks.

Only?

Halcyon

Is it confirmed you get everything unlocked when you hit final Prestige? I haven't seen anything from the devs that confirms it and I doubt anyone actually hit it yet and I don't see a source in the OP.

I don't even think about my unlock tokens. I have like 25 sitting around. I feel like by the time you hit a few prestige you'll know what stuff you'd even ever use.

Just try different stuff and unlock the stuff you like. You don't need all the attachments to all guns unlocked.

There is nothing more infuriating then a teammate stealing your care package with a Black Hat PDA while you are attempting to re-roll the package.

I don't even think about my unlock tokens. I have like 25 sitting around. I feel like by the time you hit a few prestige you'll know what stuff you'd even ever use.

Just try different stuff and unlock the stuff you like. You don't need all the attachments to all guns unlocked.

That's what I'm doing but it doesn't make the unlock token thing any less annoying. You know how the CoD games are. 1 week you'll run with one setup, another week you might go with something totally different or a balance patch may render something unless so you've wasted a token on it.

Limiting the number of things you can unlock is such a cheap way to try to get people to Prestige. In reality I probably won't even need all 55 because I never touch snipers or LMGs and I could probably do without the handguns, but it's still a terrible system and I would like to have the option of picking whatever I feel like, like in the past games.

eek5

I guess they could do permanent sides but then people would complain about spawn camping.
Thats better than what it is now though.

As bad as spawns are now, getting spawn camped would be much, much worse.

Just the ability to do it would mean most matches would start then be a race to see who could spawn trap the other team first. "Fun" would be spawn trapping the other team. Losing would mean getting spawn trapped. Fuck that.

mf.luder

Just went 13 - 0 in a S&D match, guy messages me "Quad feed ftw!!!!!!" - The hell does that mean?

If I'm not mistaken it means quad kill, like your gamer tag came up 4 times in a row for kills.

Just rented this game and I'm appalled that there is no hardcore kill confirmed. Absolutely upset.

aku:jiki

Yes, confirmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQRZf_mgfs

If I'm not mistaken it means quad kill, like your gamer tag came up 4 times in a row for kills.
A quad is killing four people at the same time, quad feed is doing it quickly but with a second or two between each kill.

You mean hip fire with xx gun then melee in the face? UC3 was so bad when I got it, sold it a week later lol.

Lol, no. The FAL in the UC2, even after a certain patch, is one of the most powerful, and over used ARs in the game. Same with the FAL in UC3. Don't know how it is now. Don't blame you for not liking the MP though.

/Off topic.

Is anyone else just a fucking magnet for Hunter killers , hellstorms, and lighting strikes? :lol

Seems like no matter how hard I try to avoid death by streak, I'm the only one to get killed by them. :(

CaLe

I have all consoles as well as a PC.

I take it that the PC is the best version to play this on ?

For some reason, I'm tempted by the Wii U version... Mostly for remote play on the gamepad.

As bad as spawns are now, getting spawn camped would be much, much worse.

Just the ability to do it would mean most matches would start then be a race to see who could spawn trap the other team first. "Fun" would be spawn trapping the other team. Losing would mean getting spawn trapped. Fuck that.

I don't know they could do other stuff like if half the other team is within a certain distance of the spawn your team switches sides with the other team.
or only 3 spawn points per side, spawn in the furthest from the enemy(would be hard to do on a map like Hijacked)

Id personally much rather be spawn camped than
take 2 steps get shot from behind, respawn in somebody's sight, respawn across the map from my entire team, repeat.

its just too random right now, if you knew the general area you'd spawn in that would already be a huge help.

NIN90

Someone just added me on Steam to tell me that I use a no recoil tool (as if something like that is actually needed in this game) and that I'm a cheater.

I'm flattered. :]

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

For some reason, I'm tempted by the Wii U version... Mostly for remote play on the gamepad.

I'm biased because I ONLY have the PC version, but I would say yes. There's many graphical options for the PC this time around including 90 FOV, a ton of AA options, depth of field, shadows, e.t.c. and even getting the textures up to 720p resolution.

Also online seems to run GREAT especially since yesterday.

The only bad thing is no server browser, but meh. I can do without seeing half of the list filled with "NUKETOWN 24/7". *vomits*

I wouldn't mind if I never see Cargo or Carrier ever again

Cargo is a great map, though. One of the only ones where there's not 10 different flank points to any given area.

BossRoss

Banned

I'm in the same boat as you. Except I bought it on PC and picked it up for Wii U at launch.

I barely touch the PC version anymore, because I tend to play on the gamepad.

eek5

I don't know they could do other stuff like if half the other team is within a certain distance of the spawn your team switches sides with the other team.
or only 3 spawn points per side, spawn in the furthest from the enemy(would be hard to do on a map like Hijacked)

Id personally much rather be spawn camped than
take 2 steps get shot from behind, respawn in somebody's sight, respawn across the map from my entire team, repeat.

its just too random right now, if you knew the general area you'd spawn in that would already be a huge help.

Go play demotion against a cheesy team and say that again. Getting spawn camped is AWFUL.

I'd say 70-80% (or more) of my spawns in dom/tdm are good. There are bad spawns that really stick out in my mind but over the course of a 10-20 death game, the majority of my deaths are well after spawn. YMMV I guess but I'd take that over getting shit on over and over until I quit the match.

You can do that? Holy shit.
KuGsj.gif

Takes only like a second to take a friendly care package too. Might be bugged lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Cargo is a great map, though. One of the only ones where there's not 10 different flank points to any given area.

I wish Cargo wasn't left out of the Ground War map rotation, it is pretty big, bigger than a lot of the other maps that are in the rotation yet I have never seen it come up.

Whoever decide map rotations for each mode and whoever decide to get rid of some of the playlists should be beaten with pillows. And whoever decided on this terrible net code should be beaten with pillows filled with rocks.

Top Bottom