• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Isn't it possible to JUST have a UAV equipped and earn nothing BUT that? If so, maybe that's why you see so many in the air. Add Hardline and yea, lol.

Assault Shield unlocks at level 34? Damn...guess I DO have to use a gun, lol.

kuYuri

Wait... so scorestreaks are now unlocked at specific levels, rather than you choosing what you want to unlock? That's lame as hell.

Emily Chu

Banned
DAMN YOU
There goes my night.

first impression is not so good...

I think this stream just saved me 59.99$ + tax

but I will keep watching

all the guns are looking and sounding the same to me
horrible hit detection

wub dub step built into background music of the lobby (fuck no)

bleh

I'm out

I'm just going to reinstall COD4.....

is there even a server browser for PC ?

guy in the stream is raging pretty hard LOL

Realyn

PC CoD and server browser? what year are you living in? 2006?

And yeah, stream guy is the reason why cod/halo and so on is full of idiots these days.

edit:
Btw, haven't bought a CoD since MW1. Used to play the hardcore modes since, well ... 2 headshots or so were no safe kill on normal.
Looks like the old hardcore is normal now? One throwing knife to the knee, two shots to the chest ... meh. Don't know if I'm going to buy this.

Oh, and no radar was awesome ...

Ive played for 11 hours straight. That was the only time i rage quited, and it was because of lag. Its hard to not get frustrated. :)
So, next game after you rage quitted again being 10-20 behind, searched for a game, got the same game and rage quitted again ...

I'll have my eyes checked on Monday.

Sounds like this game is discouraging lone wolf play, because the best way to counter a uav is to group up with your teammates and cover each others blindspots; get caught trying to flank while a uav is up and you're fucked.

I've always had a love/hate thing for uav's, or radars in any shooter really. On one hand it does speed up gameplay a bit, and keeps players on their toes. but on the other it takes the fun out of tracking players because you're not using your own skills and intuition to find players anymore.

A uav called in every once in a while is okay if the game becomes too slow, but if a uav constantly up it really dumbs down gameplay. But with so many places to hide in these games you need a uav to counter cheesy play lol. Seriously, if these maps were more, open finding people wouldn't be an issue and we really wouldn't need uav's.

fuenf

Just picked it up for the PS3. Dont disappoint me Treyarch, Nuketown code was inside the box (German Version).

Digital Foundry noted the PS3 version dipped to 20 fps at times in blops. On top of that, the PS3 version suffered from a reduced resolution of 960x544.

Fucking hell, the Wii version isn't far below that o_O

I wonder why the PS3 version was so gimped. I asumed from the excellent Wii ports that Treyarch is one hell of a dedicated developer.

KyleN

Banned
PC CoD and server browser? what year are you living in? 2006?

And yeah, stream guy is the reason why cod/halo and so on is full of idiots these days.

edit:
Btw, haven't bought a CoD since MW1. Used to play the hardcore modes since, well ... 2 headshots or so were no safe kill on normal.
Looks like the old hardcore is normal now? One throwing knife to the knee, two shots to the chest ... meh. Don't know if I'm going to buy this.

Oh, and no radar was awesome ...

So, next game after you rage quitted again being 10-20 behind, searched for a game, got the same game and rage quitted again ...

I'll have my eyes checked on Monday.
If it lags, i leave. Simple as that.

fuenf

PS3 Version:
- Nuketown Code doesnt work yet
- 1.02 Patch 56MB
- Optional Multiplayer install 1837MB (installs pretty fast)

Lunchbox

Banned
Fucking hell, the Wii version isn't far below that o_O

I wonder why the PS3 version was so gimped. I asumed from the excellent Wii ports that Treyarch is one hell of a dedicated developer.

people have been asking that every year

they dont give a shit, it will sell enough to not care for next year either. xbox is their lead sku and as long as that works they can show it off and run to the bank.

nothing will change until a new engine is used or they feel the need to optimize for the ps3.......which wont happen until sales drop. so circular logic

people have been asking that every year

they dont give a shit, it will sell enough to not care for next year either. xbox is their lead sku and as long as that works they can show it off and run to the bank.

nothing will change until a new engine is used or they feel the need to optimize for the ps3.......which wont happen until sales drop. so circular logic

But then why the effort put into the Wii versions? The PS3 versions sells a huge amount more than the Wii versions ever did.

It just seems odd that Treyarch would treat one console badly given what amazing work they did with the Wii Versions of not just their games but even IWs ports.

I guess Blops2 is a watershed moment. If it's still massively worse then it's safe to say that Treyarch simply doesn't care about the PS3.

Fucking yikes at that UAV talk. It would be fine if Counter UAV were easily unlockable as it has been in the past.

Interested to see how that plays out I suppose. Might mean less 'ninja assassin' twats who can run around the level with impunity.

I liked it in COD4 where because people had a good idea of where everyone was in the map, it meant that there were tighter, slower-paced standoffs, as opposed to the sprinting free for all that the recent iterations have become.

Ghost is a lvl 55 unlock right now, so everybody appears on radar.

UAV = Blackbird right now.

It's so fucking frustrating playing against people who know where you are at all times.
And it all comes down to teammates who give them one UAV, which then leads to unlimited UAVs from there team, while my team loses 75-35 or in that ballpark.

Or occasionally, it's the other way around and i do well cause of UAVs.

EDIT: Counter UAV is a high lvl unlock as well.

I see some people relied on Assassin a little too much in MW3. lol

I have always hated the fact that people could hide from the radar entirely, so I welcome all these changes. That perk was ridiculously overpowered in MW3 and I predicted a lot of people were going to be upset with this game in the MW3 thread a couple months ago.

I saw you mention quitting out of the match when the other team gets UAV. Is there still basically no penalty for quitting in this game? :/

If it lags, i leave. Simple as that.

This "policy" usually means "if I'm doing poorly I quit", and unfortunately the developers are always afraid to shame or penalize people who do that. They should have a "quit percentage" stat that is visible to everyone in a lobby, so it's clear just how often people quit. Would be so awesome if that ever happened, but it won't.

rCIZZLE

Eh... I'll have to play a bit but that Ghost nerf is extremely disappointing. I'd rather they go the other way and remove UAV from the game to make people actually become aware instead of staring at their radar all game like clueless cunts. I hope they recognize the frustration and give us a playlist without UAV.

Eh... I'll have to play a bit but that Ghost nerf is extremely disappointing. I'd rather they go the other way and remove UAV from the game to make people actually become aware instead of staring at their radar all game like clueless cunts. I hope they recognize the frustration and give us a playlist without UAV.

Since MW1 the UAV has been central to facilitating the fast paced gameplay. It's literally part of the COD DNA. It's a big part of why the game is so popular.

fuenf

Well so far so good. Plays great, maps are far better than the MW3 ones. They are open but you never feel exposed. So far the UAV's havent been an issue, tbh i dont see any difference to the BO / MW3 ones, the UAV=Blackbird statement is an exaggeration.

And wow the sound effects are amazing.

Bulk_Rate

Well so far so good. Plays great, maps are far better than the MW3 ones. They are open but you never feel exposed. So far the UAV's havent been an issue, tbh i dont see any difference to the BO / MW3 ones, the UAV=Blackbird statement is an exaggeration.

And wow the sound effects are amazing.

Thanks! - What are your impressions of the performance/framerate? My 360 died so this will be my first COD on PS3 and I need some reassurance :) !

rCIZZLE

Since MW1 the UAV has been central to facilitating the fast paced gameplay. It's literally part of the COD DNA. It's a big part of why the game is so popular.

Not really. Small maps, quick movement, and offensive killstreak rewards do the trick. People with anti-UAV perks are still running around as much if not more than people who stare at their radar all game. Now they're just catering to scrubs with no game-sense. Unless they have a playlist where UAV is banned/radar is completely off then I'll be passing on COD for the first time.

Not really. Small maps, quick movement, and offensive killstreak rewards do the trick. People with anti-UAV perks are still running around as much if not more than people who stare at their radar all game. Now they're just catering to scrubs with no game-sense. Unless they have a playlist where UAV is banned/radar is completely off then I'll be passing on COD for the first time.

I feel like we're straying into "people who don't sprint for the entire duration of the game = camping noobs / people who sprint around the map continuously = awesomeproelitegamerz" territory.

protonion

28g6r.jpg

Got it just now! It wasn't easy :)

My cod ritual is to go online after finishing the campaign. So see you all tomorrow!

rCIZZLE

I feel like we're straying into "people who don't sprint for the entire duration of the game = camping noobs / people who sprint around the map continuously = awesomeproelitegamerz" territory.

Take from it what you will. Won't change how I see players who require bright, constant dots on the radar to get kills though.

fuenf

Thanks! - What are your impressions of the performance/framerate? My 360 died so this will be my first COD on PS3 and I need some reassurance :) !

I dont have a 360 so i can only compare it to the other PS3 CODs: I havent noticed any severe slowdown so far and the performance seems to be at least equal to MW3 :)= far better than the original BO). However, on some maps there was a slight and minor stutter every now and then, i dont really know what was causing this (might be just lag / loading) but it wasnt to noticeable anyways. Image quality is a little bit blurry, once again not as bad as BO1 but depending on the map it can be distracting.

Worst online experience so far: 2 players who always did that stupid "jump into dodge" move.

Makoto

Not really bothered by the nerfed Ghost. Only campers and pussies use it, like ELPRESSADOR i play in beast mode. If i stay in the same spot for more than 5 seconds then i'm camping, I run and gun. I loved the pre-nerfed Akimbo 1887's and FMG9's; best anti-camper weapons ever.

I got a 3.5 ratio in MW2, 2.5 in BO, 2.5 in MW3. I had a shit ratio in COD4 and W@W because of no local search and always red bars.
We're already in that territory.

It wasn't Kylen's stream. It was the one titled "hold me back".

The guy was just dropping racial and homophobic slurs left and right. It was pretty fucking sickening.

I totally agree, I turned off the sound just to not hear that guy - its just disgusting, I have a lot to say about it, but I'll end up ranting for pages.

aristotle

Not to mention the guy couldn't make a good disparaging remark to save his life. It was hilarious to hear actual youtubers clown on him. He rage quit that game. ;)

Alias03

It wasn't Kylen's stream. It was the one titled "hold me back".

The guy was just dropping racial and homophobic slurs left and right. It was pretty fucking sickening.

Yeah that's unfortunate and disgusting. Thankfully Black Ops 2 finally added a mute entire lobby option! ; )

It's sad that when I log in by myself just to get a few games in that I end up just muting everybody including teammates. It's unfortunate because there are some rare times that you actually meet someone worth chatting with but ultimately that's ruined by 95% of the other people making u want to mute everyone as soon as you enter a lobby.

protonion

How is the framerate like for the PS3 version compare to the Black Ops 1? Because BO1 was just a mess.

Just did the first mission. It was very chaotic and very smooth.
It looks prety good for a cod game actually!

There is already a 56 mb patch that failed to download for some reason. I will try again later. I'm doing the install now. It's 1,8 gb under multiplayer options.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah that's unfortunate and disgusting. Thankfully Black Ops 2 finally added a mute entire lobby option! ; )

It's sad that when I log in by myself just to get a few games in that I end up just muting everybody including teammates. It's unfortunate because there are some rare times that you actually meet someone worth chatting with but ultimately that's ruined by 95% of the other people making u want to mute everyone as soon as you enter a lobby.

Xbox Profile Settings -> Friends only voice chat

Think I've had that set about 99% of the time for the last, oh, five years :p

Never bought MW3, was more of a MW1 and Black Ops fan, never followed this games news or anything so I am blind. Do you guys think this will be better than BO1? Thinking of getting the pc version.

fuenf

Never bought MW3, was more of a MW1 and Black Ops fan, never followed this games news or anything so I am blind. Do you guys think this will be better than BO1? Thinking of getting the pc version.

I think the multiplayer has the potential to be special.

legacyzero

Banned

Black Ops was the best one since MW1. MW2 and W@W were both terrible games. IMO.

Treyarch has basically taken over as the go-to people for the best COD's IMO.

I'm just hoping Activision doesn't gut THEM afterwards.

Wait, everything is level locked? I thought you could choose anything you wanted at the start?

Black Ops was the best one since MW1. MW2 and MW3 were both terrible games. IMO.

Treyarch has basically taken over as the go-to people for the best COD's IMO.

I'm just hoping Activision doesn't gut THEM afterwards.
Fixed.

W@W was a fantastic game.

Makoto

Has anyone has the chance to try out League Play yet? The supposed leaked screenshots pointed towards there being two leagues: the Treyarch World League and the Treyarch Champions Leagues. The Champions League required a team of 4, does the World League have the same requirement?

Top Bottom