• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Jhoan

Does anyone else have problems with their connection being super inconsistent in this? I'll go from 4 bars to one bar and fluctuate the entire match, I don't know if it is the game or my router/connection.

Yup. It happens to me too. When I played it last night with my brothers and a friend, my connection was all over the place. My brothers on the other hand said that their connection was fine which was weird. This game has terrible latency and spawning issues in general which need to be addressed. It would be nice if the next COD game is on servers as opposed to P2P on consoles.

When I was playing last night with my brothers, we got got destroyed badly. The worst game was on Kill Confirmed where the opposing team was super aggressive and summoning stuff left and right. I think the final score was 23-100. I took my beating my like a boss; my brother backed out. On the plus side, I unlocked the Foregrip for my MP7 which I've been using exclusively. I'll probably try out the SCAR-H.

The one thing that seriously annoys me about the MP besides the said issues is that nobody shoots down UAV's and air crafts. I'm the only person that carries this game's equivalent of the Stinger missile launcher. And yet, I get thanked for it by my brothers. The one thing that's tough to take down is an enemy's Care Package chopper before it drops the box.

Quick question guys. Does anyone have a good accurate GAF emblem with detailed instructions on how to make it? I have a decent one that's half orange, half grey, and a N composed of two shapes.

M.W.

Most of them are green bars though.

I really don't think the bars mean anything in this game, lol. I've gone from 4 to 1 to 4 again in a match. I've mopped up the competition with both one bar and 4 bars. It's weird. I don't think it's showing connection strength, it's just random colors.

Radec

Not for me though.

When I have 1 or 2 bars, game is hell for me.

3 is fine for me even if everyone is having 4 green bars.

Tzeentch

They won't EVER do anything about the lag advantage in this game. Hell, Treyarch's artists get all bent out of shape if you mention it (see posts by Jesse Moody on Polycount), so I imagine it's bunker town with the design folks.

They won't EVER do anything about the lag advantage in this game. Hell, Treyarch's artists get all bent out of shape if you mention it (see posts by Jesse Moody on Polycount), so I imagine it's bunker town with the design folks.

What's the reasoning behind this? It's so strange. Why are they so steadfast in denying it? They don't want to put in the work? Does it require money Activision won't give them? Are they delusional?

I've never seen a developer be so against the community like this before -- and completely disregard such a blatant lag disparity. I understand developers don't want to feel dictated to by what they see as angry fanboys, but cooler heads usually prevail and there's a middle ground that can be reached. Not this time, though.

Nabs

How is the cheating on PC? Is it rampant?

Nope. They get banned with the quickness. I kept track of two guys I suspected were walling and they were banned almost instantly.

Black Ops 2 on PC is amazing. I hope more people give it a shot.

Radec

Because no matter how angry you get on a cod game due to lag, you will still buy the next one next year.

They know that and In business side of things, why waste money on improving things when they can get away with it in its current state.

Because no matter how angry you get on a cod game due to lag, you will still buy the next one next year.

They know that and In business side of things, why waste money on improving things when they can get away with it in its current state.

I'd think that this is usually the case. But with Battlefield being so strong last year sales wise, and primed to do the same next year, it seems Activision/COD finally have some decent competition on consoles for that market. So their apathy seems to be coming at the wrong time.

What's the reasoning behind this? It's so strange. Why are they so steadfast in denying it? They don't want to put in the work? Does it require money Activision won't give them? Are they delusional?

I've never seen a developer be so against the community like this before -- and completely disregard such a blatant lag disparity. I understand developers don't want to feel dictated to by what they see as angry fanboys, but cooler heads usually prevail and there's a middle ground that can be reached. Not this time, though.

They're on their high horse and think they're gods because of sales, when the truth is they're only successful following the release of MW2 which the original (real) IW crafted.

It's not just the lag compensation, but anything mentioned as being wrong with the game. Remember the huge outcry of people complaining about spawning instantly to a death and what their response was? They said spawns showed a 97% success rate and to cry harder. Fans complained about the lag compensation and they said you're lying and to post videos proving it. This is nothing new, the same thing happened with the original Black Ops. Kotaku talked to the studio head, Mark Lamia, during an event and asked what was going on with all the PS3 issues and his response was essentially "Lol, what are you talking about; stop listening to hyperbole and try our flawless game yourself."

Spot on. I absolutely hate hate hate this game, but what choice do I really have? My friends and I played CoD4 for 2 straight years, nonstop. MW2 we played for about 10 months before quitting. With blops we played we played 8 months and stopped, and with MW3 we played pretty much the entire year, only stopping when blops 2 was closing in. Blops 2 is hands down the worst in the series and none of my buddies want anything to do with it, so I'm stuck in pugs with randoms. Pretty damn ridiculous that it's only been a month and we've all had our fill of blops 2.

I gave the 'new' IW a lot of shit for MW3, but blops 2 completely changed my attitude and gave me a new found respect for what IW did with MW3. look forward to their next release and definitely whatever Respawn studio is cooking up, but I'll be overly cautious of any new CoD titles from Treyarch.

It seems like these type of videos are popping up more and more online, and it's directly because of how bad the lag advantage is in this game. These are proof and Treyarch should take notice.

He's playing Christmas noobs, look at their ranks in the USMC video. He kills a level 3, 4, 16, 18, 19, and 22. There's only two prestige players on the opposing team and from what I can see, both rage quit and two noobs replaced their spots. There's also AFK kills in the video. I looked up the stats on elite for the two prestige players and one was 0.70 and the other 1.06.

In the AN-94 videos there's only a single prestige player who also happens to have the highest kd/r of the bunch, sitting at 0.65. He had it made, nothing but x-mas noobs. I tried to do the same thing on x-mas morning but I couldn't find a single room where there wasn't a prestige, clan or clowns using the master prestige exploit.

ChrisD84

This is the main problem, they already have our money and they know they will be raking it in from the dlc packs and any future games regardless of how many problems this one has.

I had absolutely no interest in buying this originally due to the terrible lag problems BO 1 had along with their refusal to acknowledge it, but as my friends all decided to buy the game i bought it too, unfortunately i'd rather play this with friends than play something else alone ;(

I actually don't mind the game in general apart from the spawns and endlessly getting killed from behind, but always feeling like you are 1-2 seconds behind everyone else just ruins it, whereas i can go and play MW3 and there is no such problem, bullets register as you would expect them to and i never feel like people are ahead of me. I even had a match in MW3 the other day where everyone was on 2-3 bars and i noticed none of these issues, whereas in BO 2 it is constant and happens even when everyone is on 4 bars!

Magik

He's playing Christmas noobs, look at their ranks in the USMC video. He kills a level 3, 4, 16, 18, 19, and 22. There's only two prestige players on the opposing team and from what I can see, both rage quit and two noobs replaced their spots. There's also AFK kills in the video. I looked up the stats on elite for the two prestige players and one was 0.70 and the other 1.06.

In the AN-94 videos there's only a single prestige player who also happens to have the highest kd/r of the bunch, sitting at 0.65. He had it made, nothing but x-mas noobs. I tried to do the same thing on x-mas morning but I couldn't find a single room where there wasn't a prestige, clan or clowns using the master prestige exploit.

I guess i'm not the only one that noticed it as well. All these 100+ kill games are pointless when the vast majority of them are against weak opponents and abuse of killstreaks.

I'm not saying I'm better than them, but like I said before with the 163 kill video, its nothing special when you really pay close attention to what is happening in the video.

ChrisD84 said:
I actually don't mind the game in general apart from the spawns and endlessly getting killed from behind, but always feeling like you are 1-2 seconds behind everyone else just ruins it, whereas i can go and play MW3 and there is no such problem, bullets register as you would expect them to and i never feel like people are ahead of me. I even had a match in MW3 the other day where everyone was on 2-3 bars and i noticed none of these issues, whereas in BO 2 it is constant and happens even when everyone is on 4 bars!

The lag is all over the place. There's just no consistency at all.

One minute, everything feels great! Bullets are landing, you're getting the kills you know you deserve, and the next moment you can't kill a single damn person. The spawns.... ugh... there's no words that can be said that hasn't already been said.

Makoto

Thanks for posting this. I noticed as well but didn't want to sound the alarms for the "well lets see u do it if ur so gud" trash responses.

Seriously though if these triple digit and 0 videos really wanted to impress me, I'd like to see some LMG action without the help of a UAV or VSAT. Edit: And maybe against some players that didn't acquire their copy of BO2 a few hours prior.

Why does it seem like my bullets just go through people?
I play with my buddies who live on US east coast, and I live in central, so I never have a great ping; but I never noticed it before MW3.

Why does it seem like my bullets just go through people?
I play with my buddies who live on US east coast, and I live in central, so I never have a great ping; but I never noticed it before MW3.

That'd be lag compensation kicking in. The game simply couldn't register who/where you were shooting so while you saw it on your screen, it wasn't there on the other players. MW3 had it's issues as well, but they resolved that and the horrid spawns rather quickly. It's an entirely different story in BO2 as the dev's are incredibly defensive of the game and have made it clear they have no plans to make any changes aside from gameplay tweaks such as weapon stats and killstreak point requirements.

Just watch this, one example of many: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LnkyS53ONU

I finally finished the SP today. Those final few missions were batshit insane. Loved 'em.

I wish the entire game took place in the future and more levels occurred after the attack on the US. Every flashback mission was shitttt.

popeutlal

Some of my best games end up with 'lost connection to server' error message...damn host migration never completes.

Do your kills count towards your stats when that happens?

I am shocked at how much I am loving this game. FPSes aren't usually my thing, but this is pretty spectacular. Was the first Black Ops this good?

I really wish they had implemented a touch screen map for the Strike Force levels on the U version, it feels like it's crying out for one.

Actually, every time he brings up that wrist thing I see an opportunity for a touch screen implementation. Hopefully they take a look at it for the next one.

Jrmint

Surprised, I've seen it hardly ever.

And I'm not sure what that would even be based on.

Much less score streaks in the air, less camping, more routes to run. Most people that complain about this game are those that liked to hide and now they're not able to. It's quite fun for that reason.

Edit - since it's a new page, responding to the bottom of last page.

Surprised, I've seen it hardly ever.

And I'm not sure what that would even be based on.

Much less score streaks in the air, less camping, more routes to run. Most people that complain about this game are those that liked to hide and now they're not able to. It's quite fun for that reason.

Edit - since it's a new page, responding to the bottom of last page.

I do dislike that the game plays at the same pace all of the time, But the lag is the biggest reason I dislike this game. This game could've had a bunch of problems, but I would've been able to look over most of them if this game felt as crisp and smooth as MW2, but it doesn't, not even close. Which is too bad, because there is a decent (although not great) game there once you get past the lag.

popeutlal

Is there a glitch where people can steal your care package? I threw down my care package and a teammate instantly had my loot and then he started dancing around me to gloat.

fozzy

This is the biggest reason. Being ahead of everyone by a full second helps.

I've tried to use different guns like Lmgs and Snipers whilst playing the objective, but you're at such a disadvantage it's really not worth it.

Smgs with laser from the hip, or M8 from a power position it is then.

Cudder

This campaign is garbage so far. I have no idea what's going on. All I hear is "Russian names, Russian names, kill Russian name".

This games single player is more brain dead than Warfighers. And the strike force missions are stupid.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This campaign is garbage so far. I have no idea what's going on. All I hear is "Russian names, Russian names, kill Russian name".

This games single player is more brain dead than Warfighers. And the strike force missions are stupid.

Does every name sound Russian to you?

Nori Chan

Didn't realize my name was Russian

Top Bottom