• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Guys, what are your favorite attachments for the PDW-57? I always use fast mag, but I'm not sure about the second attachment. Just unlocked rapid fire. Is that any good? Or should I stick to the long barrel?

Laser sight and silencer is what I use for every SMG and sometimes throw fast mag on.

Jrmint

Try silencer + fmj.

Lovely.
I feel like FMJ is just a placebo effect, and doesn't do much unless you're constantly shooting through walls.

Rapid on the PDW is supposed to be nice since it has a slower fire rate by default and has such a huge magazine.

I'd say definitely silencer and either fast mags or rapid fire. I also believe PDW has the slowest reload time of smgs without fast mags.

Mr. Black

Banned
Oh well, I guess I could stop using hardline (use Perk 1 Greed with Blind Eye) and get a PDW with three attachments. Silencer, rapid fire and fast mag. Should be nice. :)

u mad

Neo Member
Guys, what are your favorite attachments for the PDW-57? I always use fast mag, but I'm not sure about the second attachment. Just unlocked rapid fire. Is that any good? Or should I stick to the long barrel?

I use silencer + stock. If you combine stock with lightweight, you can move while ADS so fast it makes you hard to hit, and you never have to worry about exiting ghost due to movement speed.

Stock + lightweight makes it really hard for enemies to get a hit marker on you, all while you are ADS. Very nice.

With 50 rounds I never had a reload problem. Takes like 3-5 rounds to get a kill. Reloading was never an issue. On the MSMC, that is a different story.

EDIT: This is my PDW-57 Class:
PDW w/ silencer + stock
Ghost + Lightweight
Scavenger
Engineer (or tactical mask when in the mood)
C4
EMP

Try silencer + fmj.

Lovely.

FMJ is pretty much a waste in this game. As someone else above me mentioned, it is mostly placebo. There are videos on youtube that shows its inefficiency. Especially on something like a SMG.

Okay...I'll probably get laughed out of here after this but it's worth a shot.

I got this game for the Wii U because I was curious about the whole Call of Duty thing and there weren't many game choices for Wii U. The last first-person anything game I owned/played/enjoyed was the original Perfect Dark. I couldn't even get into any Metroid Prime games...on Wii or GameCube. With that said, I figured out the Wii Remote controls pretty quickly and I found that multiplayer was a good time...although I died A LOT and still do.

My issue is: I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm almost level 50 and I'm *fairly* good in general, but I find that most people who have been playing CoD games yearly are LIGHT YEARS ahead of me with regard to the intricacies of the game.

Inevitably, when I run into an enemy player and we start shooting each other, I die. Every time. Shootout = TheMarioLink dies. Different guns...perks...attachments......same result. If I'm holed up in a room somewhere shooting people from a window, I die. Inevitably someone on the other side of the map with Superman-like sight/accuracy kills me. Often through a wall.

I'm not here to whine because that's stupid and regardless of whether I'm winning or losing, I'm having fun with it. I can't tell you how often I die a second time because I'm still laughing at myself for the previous death. It's also been fun to get better over time and I hope to continue.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation to me or if anyone here knows of some good resources for a new player like me. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and tried to read up...but a lot of it goes over my head.

Help me Obi-GAF Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Radec

^
Try playing against bots. Then practice shooting in close quarters. Getting killed alot is fine. As long as you're improving.

Play smart. Dont try to engage head-on. If you do, try to strafe. Or crouch or prone. Stock attachment works wonders.

- - -
Tried FMJ earlier while golding my pdw and it brought me wonders on Raid. Ofcourse you have to take the map into consideration.

Btw, how come i keep getting ammos even without scavenger on? One time i had like 300 ammo on my smg. Maybe extended mags? Dunno.

u mad

Neo Member
^

Btw, how come i keep getting ammos even without scavenger on? One time i had like 300 ammo on my smg. Maybe extended mags? Dunno.

IIRC, you will get the ammo from your dropped gun at your previous death.

So if you die and drop your PDW at death, I think you can replenish your ammo.

Only assuming this, because I've had the same thing happen when using LMGs. No Scavenger yet max ammo when near my old death spot.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I got this game for the Wii U because I was curious about the whole Call of Duty thing and there weren't many game choices for Wii U. The last first-person anything game I owned/played/enjoyed was the original Perfect Dark. I couldn't even get into any Metroid Prime games...on Wii or GameCube. With that said, I figured out the Wii Remote controls pretty quickly and I found that multiplayer was a good time...although I died A LOT and still do.

My issue is: I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm almost level 50 and I'm *fairly* good in general, but I find that most people who have been playing CoD games yearly are LIGHT YEARS ahead of me with regard to the intricacies of the game.

Inevitably, when I run into an enemy player and we start shooting each other, I die. Every time. Shootout = TheMarioLink dies. Different guns...perks...attachments......same result. If I'm holed up in a room somewhere shooting people from a window, I die. Inevitably someone on the other side of the map with Superman-like sight/accuracy kills me. Often through a wall.

I'm not here to whine because that's stupid and regardless of whether I'm winning or losing, I'm having fun with it. I can't tell you how often I die a second time because I'm still laughing at myself for the previous death. It's also been fun to get better over time and I hope to continue.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation to me or if anyone here knows of some good resources for a new player like me. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and tried to read up...but a lot of it goes over my head.

If you're using the Wii remote, try and aim from the hip more, saves time not going into ADS, and the remote dot on the screen allows you to aim a lot better from the hip than dual analog users. Definitely practice against the bots like said above, and find the range you can effectively do this from. The Wii remote takes some getting used to, it's hard not to overcompensate when aiming at people, but in time it'll come.

If you want, you can add me, and feel free to join my games if I'm online. NNID: lamaroo

u mad

Neo Member

Best advice I can give is to become very familiar with the maps and know where people are likely to be.

If you are dying often odds are the person killing you was expecting you to be at that window or that door, and he is already ADS and wont be surprised when he sees you.

I get lots of kills without even seeing the guy, by simply spraying at locations they are likely to be. The upper levels of hijack near the balconies, the 2nd story windows on metldown, the windows on Nuketown, etc.

Also if you know rooms well you will know where the corners are and be able to strafe while ADS at an angle that gives you most coverage.

Toughness might not hurt either. It will allow you to remain accurate during gun battles, which is useful if you aren't familiar with handling recoil to begin with.

^

You still pick up ammo if you run across the weapon you're currently using. You'll find if you use a PDW you'll always have ammo coz so many others are packing them, SMG's in general to be fair.

u mad

Neo Member
You still pick up ammo if you run across the weapon you're currently using. You'll find if you use a PDW you'll always have ammo coz so many others are packing them, SMG's in general to be fair.

Oh it doesn't even have to be your own gun? Good to know. Haven't noticed because I use Scavenger on every class other than my purely defensive LMG class.

aku:jiki

He wasn't affected because he was most likely the host of the match. Used to see stuff like that with Gears of War 2 all of the time.
No, CoD has client side hit detection. He was frozen for other players as well and, as we can see in PRES' other video from the match, the other players weren't frozen on their screen.

I wasn't aware that this was an actual thing... This explains some shit I've seen before. Why would anyone spend a total of $120 just to kill the fun of the game?

u mad

Neo Member
I've recently been messing around with sniper rifles for my first in a FPS ever.

I find it really annoying/tricky to hold down the left stick (PS3 controller) to steady my aim while sniping. Having to press down the left stick while aiming slightly effects the accuracy of my right stick, which effects my aim. Do most snipers change the layout of this button? Or just don't mind it? Or maybe it is different on xbox (and most people play on xbox)?

EDIT: or it would be nice if you could auto hold breath whenever you zoom in

EDIT2: Looks like you can set it up to auto hold breath on pc but not consoles :(

aku:jiki

I've recently been messing around with sniper rifles for my first in a FPS ever.

I find it really annoying/tricky to hold down the left stick (PS3 controller) to steady my aim while sniping. Having to press down the left stick while aiming slightly effects the accuracy of my right stick, which effects my aim. Do most snipers change the layout of this button? Or just don't mind it? Or maybe it is different on xbox (and most people play on xbox)?

EDIT: There is no way to toggle holding your breath is there? that would be nice, just hit a button and it holds breath until it runs out or you choose to stop it.
Don't know what to tell you; I do play on 360 but to me it just feels natural to aim with LT and press down on LS at the same time. I basically just iron grip my whole left hand. (Which leads to achy arms if I do too much sniping in a session, lol.)

I think I even do it sometimes with non-snipers, in surprise situations.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
That seriously annoys me. What would motivate someone to even want one of these, where is the fun?

Well hopefully nobody will get away with using it. Lag is extremely noticeable in the gameplay that guy recorded, and if you watch the killcam, you can see what happens.

I picked this up earlier in the week and sad to say I am completely addicted to it. Only thing is I need more GAFers to mow down with my LSAT.

360 gamertag is Strikevillain. Feel free to add me. Also, is the 360 clan still active - or no?

eek5

EDIT: or it would be nice if you could auto hold breath whenever you zoom in

EDIT2: Looks like you can set it up to auto hold breath on pc but not consoles :(

I don't even hold my breath for most shots. I just try to predict the sway and drag shot it on hard scopes... probably why I stink at sniping. Just a heads up for later: you can hold your breath on acog and iron sights w/ snipers

re: edit2: sucks because modded controllers can automatically hold breath giving people an advantage

I love quick scoping and no scoping in this game.

t71wjn.gif

u mad

Neo Member
I love quick scoping and no scoping in this game.

I don't get why quickscoping gets so much hate. It requires a lot of skill to do, most people who hate quickscoping are probably just jelly that they can't do it.

Some of the stupidest reasoning can be found in CoD whining.

brb crying because the sniper is camping
brb crying because the sniper is not camping and actually running around and quickscoping

they get mad if you are running around tearing shit up quickscoping, and they get mad if you are camping and get kills hardscoping.

either way, they mad

I don't get why quickscoping gets so much hate. It requires a lot of skill to do, most people who hate quickscoping are probably just jelly that they can't do it.

Some of the stupidest reasoning can be found in CoD whining.

brb crying because the sniper is camping
brb crying because the sniper is not camping and actually running around and quickscoping

they get mad if you are running around tearing shit up quickscoping, and they get mad if you are camping and get kills hardscoping.

either way, they mad

Probably because it completely breaks the concept of what a sniper rifle is supposed to do. Also, it's fucking stupid. I have no problem with real snipers who are hanging back and using the gun like it was designed to be used.

Wait, are you telling me a CoD title isn't realistic?!

It's a video game dude, and you sound bitter as hell.

I never used the word realistic. There's a lot of things unrealistic about Call of Duty, but everything's within the realm of what you could expect certain things to do. Just like I think it's ridiculous for somebody to lunge 10 feet with the knife (MW2 commando), I think being able to exploit the game's auto aim by ADS'ing for a split second and killing someone with a gun that is not intended for close-range combat whatsoever is completely ridiculous.

For all the shit the Xbox 360 version of Shadowrun got, they did one thing I wish every FPS would implement: not be able to shoot the sniper rifle unless you were completely scoped in for a full second. That eliminates all this quickscoping bullshit immediately.

789shadow

Banned
Quickscoping with the sniper in CoD is bullshit because you only have to hit anywhere on the body. Not like in, say, Halo (pre 4), where you actually had to, you know, aim.

u mad

Neo Member
I play with aim assist off. Mostly because I hate how my aim goes crazy if there are multiple enemies around me. It gets dragged towards a random one, regardless of which one I want to kill. Also if an enemy runs by me while I'm aiming it drags my focus towards whatever direction they are heading.

I thought most people turn it off.

Top Bottom