• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

zeelman

I don't really understand the way UAVs and the Ghost perk work in this game. If I don't have Ghost equipped, can the UAVs still see me if I'm not moving?

Check your map, if your arrow (the yellow one) is faded, you are hidden from UAVs when you have Ghost equipped.

Pro tip: You can move while ADSing with an SMG and still be hidden from the radar. This works with ARs equipped with Stock as well.

Hellish

So I reset my stats and am in 2nd in TDM on the leaderboards but 1st is double my score, I wish they put like a 500+ kill limit on leaderboards (I know mine are low as I just reset but most of these guys on the front page of all leaderboards have a single game played)

8409869957_cb9fbac9bc_c.jpg

Ever had one of those games, where nothing goes right and you're just having an awful time of it. No scorestreaks and people ruining your fun with camping and lagging....

...then you realize you've won the match are also the top of the scoreboard?

M.W.

Is this giant upcoming patch going to fix any of these lag issues? Or is Treyarch still stating there's no lag comp/lag etc?

Ensoul

Watch this video and keep what it says in mind when you use the KSG. It will work much better.

I watched the video and it was very helpful. With shotguns I just run around like a madman and shot everywhere. That does not work with the KSG. I took my time and aimed down my sights more. I had a few great matches with the KSG. It is very satisfying killing people in one shot.

Still, it is a very tough gun to use. While I had a few great matches I had some pretty poor ones as well. I played for about 2 and a half hours last night and I only got 5 blood thirsty medals. What seems to happen to me is that I get 4 kills and I simply cannot get the 5th kill. Also I was having issues with lag as well. IE someone was running at me with a knife. I do a full shotgun blast on my screen and he stabs me anyway. When watching the replay naturally it does not even show me shooting.

Of course the good news is that the revenge medals are somewhat easy as I keep dying all the time.

The new maps looks coming out on Tuesday look decent as well. I am ready for some more maps.

maomaoIYP

So, the goddamned AGR doesn't even die with 2 shots from the FHJ, but only 1 C4 kills it? WTF man, how the hell am I supposed to get the challenge done this way?

Gonna try for the Chain and Ultra Killer challenges. You guys get them yet?

Just wait one more day til the weekend. Nuketown is by far the easiest way to get them. The timer between the kills is a lot longer than you expect. You'll have plenty of time to reload and keep killing people, so once something like Demolition on Nuketown shows up, where the enemies will be constantly respawning in the same yard, all you need is a 9 killstreak and you'll most likely get the ultra killer challenge.

u mad

Neo Member
Why would you use that gun over the Tac 45?

Granted I know very little about HC.

The five-seven is superior to the tac45 in literally every single way in HC.

The advantage the tac45 has over the five-seven in core is that it has a longer 2 hit kill range. While the 55 dmg range is longer on the tac45, people only have 30 health in HC. The range at where the guns drop from 33 to 24 are nearly identical (the five-seven actually has a very small advantage here, doing 33 dmg at a longer range than the tac45. negligible advantage though).

Outside of damage, the five-seven has less recoil, a faster rate of fire (750 vs 625) and twice the ammo capacity (20 vs 10).

I can't think of a single reason to use the tac45 in HC ever.

EDIT: HC can be very interesting. It completely changes the rules of what makes a gun good. Suddenly guns that are very unpopular in core become incredibly viable in HC (e.g. something like the m27)

aku:jiki

I saw two of the weirdest things I've ever seen in a CoD today, wonder what that was about... First I was in a full lobby, waiting for a match and not really paying attention, the match loads up and I'm completely alone! I went around and capped A and B before the game realized and said that I won by enemy forfeit.

Later on, I was in a match against a party of four (+2 randoms) and I pissed off their party leader by beasting on him so he rage quit and took the party with him. The weird part was that his character was gone immediately, but his party's characters just stood around with the name "?" and gave me free kills for like a good minute before they timed out. The "?" thing has been in every CoD if you, say, turn a corner right as someone quits and you shoot them quickly before the host syncs everybody up and removes the characters, but these question marks were just standing around for the longest time.

Sooo many glitches and shit in these games now... I'd give up a kidney if they would just do map packs for MW2 instead of making new games.

I saw two of the weirdest things I've ever seen in a CoD today, wonder what that was about... First I was in a full lobby, waiting for a match and not really paying attention, the match loads up and I'm completely alone! I went around and capped A and B before the game realized and said that I won by enemy forfeit.

Sooo many glitches and shit in these games now... I'd give up a kidney if they would just do map packs for MW2 instead of making new games.

I know that happens when you're host and theres some interruption with your connection and the game. It's happened to me I'd say under 20 times over the past couple years and can happen midgame too. You're the only one that stays in the game cause you're host. Everybody else loses connection to you. Friends of mine have gotten pissed in the past when we were going for huge win streaks and they knew I was host, so we didn't have to worry about people dashboarding etc... just for them to get a loss cause it kicked everybody out and for me to get a free win and keep the streak going lol.

WoodWERD

The advantage the tac45 has over the five-seven in core is that it has a longer 2 hit kill range. While the 55 dmg range is longer on the tac45, people only have 30 health in HC. The range at where the guns drop from 33 to 24 are nearly identical (the five-seven actually has a very small advantage here, doing 33 dmg at a longer range than the tac45. negligible advantage though).

Outside of damage, the five-seven has less recoil, a faster rate of fire (750 vs 625) and twice the ammo capacity (20 vs 10).

I can't think of a single reason to use the tac45 in HC ever.

EDIT: HC can be very interesting. It completely changes the rules of what makes a gun good. Suddenly guns that are very unpopular in core become incredibly viable in HC (e.g. something like the m27)

You seem like someone who studies this stuff a lot...what's your preferred SMG in HC? I'm an aggressive run and gunner but also play a lot of support (taking out air streaks and calling lots of uavs). Before I got my diamond SMGs my go-to was the vector with quickdraw + long barrel. Now I bounce between different SMG setups depending on what the competition is doing, but the majority of my classes are pretty similar:

Lightweight (switch to ghost for UAV-heavy teams)
Fast hands (was always partial to cold-blooded but haven't noticed a big diff without it)
Dexterity
Semtex + Flash
Launcher (so I can get away with no ghost)

I run quickdraw on pretty much all my SMGs and throw on long barrel when it feels like it's taking too many shots to kill. And this works pretty well for me for the most part, just wondering what you'd improve on.

u mad

Neo Member
You seem like someone who studies this stuff a lot...what's your preferred SMG in HC? I'm an aggressive run and gunner but also play a lot of support (taking out air streaks and calling lots of uavs). Before I got my diamond SMGs my go-to was the vector with quickdraw + long barrel. Now I bounce between different SMG setups depending on what the competition is doing, but the majority of my classes are pretty similar:

Lightweight (switch to ghost for UAV-heavy teams)
Fast hands (was always partial to cold-blooded but haven't noticed a big diff without it)
Dexterity
Semtex + Flash
Launcher (so I can get away with no ghost)

I run quickdraw on pretty much all my SMGs and throw on long barrel when it feels like it's taking too many shots to kill. And this works pretty well for me for the most part, just wondering what you'd improve on.

I am the kind of guy who really gets into the nitty gritty stats and data when it comes to FPS games, so I know much of the raw data for the guns in this game.

I don't like SMGs for hardcore because I am all about extending that 1HK range as far as possible. If you play very aggressively, however, SMGs are fine since they offer advantages with movement speed, ADS speed, etc.

I wouldn't recommend you use the vector. I'd recommend either the PDW or MSMC over it.

This is why:

vector.png

This is the dmg over distance for the Vector.

As soon as you hit the 22 range, it will take 2 hits to kill on hardcore.

Compare that to the MSMC:
msmc.png

or the PDW:
pdw-57.png

The one hit kill range for both these SMGs is substantially longer. In HC, 1HK is very, very important.

As for attachments, when it comes to SMGs I always run a combination of either silencer, laser, or stock. I prefer stock to quickdraw.

Stock changes the ADS movement speed with SMGs from 80% of normal movement speed to 102%...yes, you will move FASTER while aiming down the sights using stock on an SMG than you would not aiming down the sights. Pretty crazy. Your use of lightweight somewhat eliminates the need to have stock. I recommend you give stock a try though, either by dropping lightweight or combining it. Lightweight + stock allows you to ADS move at an absurdly fast speed that makes you very hard to hit. I do this on core sometimes, you can run circles on a guy while ADS and he will have a lot of trouble hitting you.

Everything else looks fine besides maybe dexterity. Check out the youtube videos that break down dexterity. Cliffs: The benefit is great on ARs and LMGs, not so great on SMGs. For third tier I almost always pick Engineer. Tactical Mask is great too. As is extreme conditioning.

EDIT: Just checked again, I was wrong. Stock makes ADS movement speed on SMGs 102%

Fantasmo

Later on, I was in a match against a party of four (+2 randoms) and I pissed off their party leader by beasting on him so he rage quit and took the party with him. The weird part was that his character was gone immediately, but his party's characters just stood around with the name "?" and gave me free kills for like a good minute before they timed out. The "?" thing has been in every CoD if you, say, turn a corner right as someone quits and you shoot them quickly before the host syncs everybody up and removes the characters, but these question marks were just standing around for the longest time.

PM me if you want to play MW2. I'll play here and there, I enjoy it.

aku:jiki

Stock changes the ADS movement speed with SMGs from 80% of normal movement speed to 106%...yes, you will move FASTER while aiming down the sights using stock on an SMG than you would not aiming down the sights. Pretty crazy.
Woah, do you know if the same is true for Stalker in MW3? Because when I went back to that game, I swear it felt like I was actually moving faster while ADS with Stalker and an LMG than I was when I didn't ADS.

Confusingly stupid idea either way. I still maintain that they need to strip out all perks that fuck around with movement speed and/or animations if they're not going to fix the netcode. At least BO2 doesn't have fucking Juiced...

PM me if you want to play MW2. I'll play here and there, I enjoy it.
I totally would but I'm in Europe and MW2 is unplayable across the atlantic... That's the only thing this "new" netcode does better; I can actually hop into US matches and not really notice a big difference.

Woah, do you know if the same is true for Stalker in MW3? Because when I went back to that game, I swear it felt like I was actually moving faster while ADS with Stalker and an LMG than I was when I didn't ADS.

Confusingly stupid idea either way. I still maintain that they need to strip out all perks that fuck around with movement speed and/or animations if they're not going to fix the netcode. At least BO2 doesn't have fucking Juiced...

I totally would but I'm in Europe and MW2 is unplayable across the atlantic... That's the only thing this "new" netcode does better; I can actually hop into US matches and not really notice a big difference.

Stalker speed & walkin speed are the same in MW3.

u mad

Neo Member

No clue about MW3, but on Blops 2 I'll ADS whenever I'm regaining breath so I can sprint again even if I know no enemies are near me, since I'll be moving fast while aiming then not aiming.

I thought it was pretty crazy too.

Fantasmo

If you're in the UK, they get 3 bars with us East coast USA players.

u mad

Neo Member
Just checked the data again, I was wrong. Stock makes ADS movement speed on SMGs 102%

Still faster than normal movement speed, but not 106%

Just checked the data again, I was wrong. Stock makes ADS movement speed on SMGs 102%

Still faster than normal movement speed, but not 106%

Such a useful attachment when you don't have extreme conditioning. When you just have dexterity in Perk 3, you can aim faster and if you run out of stamina, just aim with the walking speed of lightweight and you'll be able to take out any corner campers and be able to kill them fast enough as well.

On another note, this game is too easy if you are rushing. Ive been reported because I supposedly "hacked" and killing people in such bizarre ways. What they don't realize is how much advantages are given to rushers in this game with the attachments and ability to get more than one perk in each category. Ive attained about 600 points per minute in hardcore kill confirmed.

There is literally nothing to do in this game... so bored of just massacring the other team with my rushing setup. Running with a AR feels so slow now lol.

Does anyone feel that the guns in core are so weak that you feel that you cant even kill them? Black Ops 1 had the perfect damage for every gun it felt natural to NOT have stopping power in the game but in Black Ops 2, I feel like there needs to be stopping power in EVERY gun... Does anyone get this feeling?

u mad

Neo Member
Does anyone feel that the guns in core are so weak that you feel that you cant even kill them? Black Ops 1 had the perfect damage for every gun it felt natural to NOT have stopping power in the game but in Black Ops 2, I feel like there needs to be stopping power in EVERY gun... Does anyone get this feeling?

This is why I pretty much only play HC now. ARs really get a chance to shine in HC.

Jrmint

Not at all actually.

I'm so glad they took Stopping Power out after MW2. There were other good perks but I felt like I was constantly second guessing my classes without SP. I feel it's nice to have that peace of mind now to take any class you want.

u mad

Neo Member
I think an easier way to balance the usage of weapons in this game is to simply introduce larger maps with more long direct lines of sight. Currently even on maps like Drone, SMG users can just stick to staying in the buildings and dominate by forcing CQC.

Slizz

Just started using the KSG for the first time... It is the most hilarious gun in the game. Never have I gotten so much rage from a single weapon, worse rage than the R870.

Once you figure out how to use it, it's just ridiculous the distance kills you can get away with.

HiiiLife

I'm officially retired /s

*hangs up controller*

Just started using the KSG for the first time... It is the most hilarious gun in the game. Never have I gotten so much rage from a single weapon, worse rage than the R870.

Once you figure out how to use it, it's just ridiculous the distance kills you can get away with.

I could use some tips.

*hangs up controller*

I could use some tips.

Using a red dot is a start. Whatever you do do not shoot when transitioning from your current position to crouch, prone, and vice versa. The shot placement is entirely random. Check on youtube for KSG accuracy problem.

Agreed.
Five-seveN is the only pistol I use. And 90% of my playtime is in HCTDM.
Range, power, precision, hardly any recoil. Very fast ROF too.
Coupled with Dexterity, I love how fast you can bring the pistol up after sprint.
I have a Five-seveN only class made up, with longbarrel & FMJ.
With lag on your side, you can definitely beast with it.
http://youtu.be/ChW-kUMmc7E

u mad

Neo Member
Agreed.
Five-seveN is the only pistol I use. And 90% of my playtime is in HCTDM.
Range, power, precision, hardly any recoil. Very fast ROF too.
Coupled with Dexterity, I love how fast you can bring the pistol up after sprint.
I have a Five-seveN only class made up, with longbarrel & FMJ.
With lag on your side, you can definitely beast with it.
http://youtu.be/ChW-kUMmc7E

I combine it with the S12 or the m1216

Use shotgun and when you see a guy outside of shotgun optimal range, switch to handgun and take them out.

Not my most effective setup K/D wise, but very fun to play.

789shadow

Banned
Trying to play the first mission, get to the part where you hide under the log, gamplay starts again, I CAN'T FUCKING MOVE AT ALL. What the flying fuck.

Trying to play the first mission, get to the part where you hide under the log, gamplay starts again, I CAN'T FUCKING MOVE AT ALL. What the flying fuck.

I need someone to play/share my pain with. GT: GUFU789shadow. I'd like to try to learn how CoD works before writing it off completely.

Gotta love it when you unload a whole clip into a guy and he just turns around and knifes you.

Try to play for the first time, servers are down. LMFAO

And now my Nuketown 2025 map is stuck in Pending forever.

Um.

I just got betrayed 5 times by teammates in a Team Hardcore and I got kicked. WHAT.

You ever gonna contribute something positive?

ease off. He's new to the game.

That 7 v 5 was dumb.

Yezzir it was. In general, we had some pretty decent games though and great victories. It wasn't one my best playsessions, but it was still a fun one. Feel free to ask me to play whenever, even if it's only TDM. I've pretty much stopped playing unless I play with somebody else, because it's just boring for me :/ And if you play demo a bit more, eventually you'll learn the flow and where people spawn so after you get over the learning curve, it should be easier for you to play better and plant more easily.

zeelman

Had some good games with the silenced KSG tonight. I switched Hardline with Lightweight, and I did way better with it. I managed a nice 10 killstreak with it during a Ground War KC game on Aftermath.

u mad

Neo Member
Was running just the five-seven tonight on hardcore and went 20-2, 19-3, 23-4, etc. in HC KC.

going to ditch using a shotgun and just run a handgun only class for HC. I am loving this gun. Will have it gold in no time at all. Doubt I'll go diamond as the rest of the handguns don't have much appeal to me.

Slizz

*hangs up controller*

I could use some tips.

Someone earlier said use a red dot. I don't find that completely necessary, but whatever works for you.

Put toughness on as your second perk, and when you ADS take that extra half a second and make sure you place the sights on you're target, even if getting shot. I rock the long barrel because 2 well placed shots from what seems to be all the way across the map can kill someone.

It's all about putting your sights directly on the target no matter what. I also ADS sooner than I would with a SMG because of the aim lag that someone posted earlier that BLOPS 2 has when ADS.

Is this giant upcoming patch going to fix any of these lag issues? Or is Treyarch still stating there's no lag comp/lag etc?

Hopefully a new patch sorts out some of these connection issues. The gameplay quality goes from one extreme to the other. One day I can have a great day with minor lag hitches here and there but then turn around and have an awful day where every match I seem to get owned because the other player is 1.0 seconds ahead of me.

Get rid of OMA and new MW2 maps and I would be satisfied as well.

Top Bottom