• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

The_Monk

I believe that, by now, everyone knows what to expect on each platform to be honest. I played on PC, PS3, 360 MW2. I had MW2 and BO on both PS3 and 360 and MW3 only on PS3.

I'm more worried about the stress it can cause on the blu-ray to be honest, I never look for outstanding graphics on a Call of Duty game, it's all about having some fun with a couple of friends. Let's just hope for the best. ;)

EDIT: The detail on the maps are very neat. I like the attention they gave to that Nuketown 2025, the furniture and the futuristic items really look interesting.

Nabs

North America / South America
Retail: Nov 12 09:00pm PST (Midnight Nov 13 EST)
Steam Store: Nov 13 12:01am PST (3:01am Nov 13 EST)

yeah the PS3 pic looks accurate, it's a little bit blurry but at least it performs very well.

Yep, looks about right to me. I had the PS3 and 360 copy of the original Blops and 360 looked and performed better so that muddy PS3 screenshot is probably accurate (sadly). But yeah at least it supposedly performs better.

Schwabe

Does anyone know where to redeem the codes from the special editions? (Challenge coins). Got the 360 care package and the code is 13 digits, too short for xbl >_<

Pooya

I'm more worried about the stress it can cause on the blu-ray to be honest, I never look for outstanding graphics on a Call of Duty game

yeah that was bad, now there is an optional install in blops2 ps3 because of that. (same 1.8gb texture pack install Hanmik linked)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/25/black-ops-2-features-optional-texture-pack-installation-on-ps3/

As explained to Joystiq by Activision representatives, the install option is reserved for the PlayStation 3 and is intended to reduce strain on the PS3's Blu-ray drive during extended gameplay sessions. Unlike the option to install a texture pack in EA's multiplayer shooter Battlefield 3, the Black Ops 2 install will not alter the quality of the upcoming game's graphics.

According to Vonderhaar's forum post, the feature was implemented because of fan demand. "When we explained to PS3 folks that installing to the HDD wouldn't neccessarily [sic] give us any significant performance gains, they explained back that the issue is they play so much it puts constant stress on the Blu-ray drive and wears them out."

fuenf

Yep, looks about right to me. I had the PS3 and 360 copy of the original Blops and 360 looked and performed better so that muddy PS3 screenshot is probably accurate (sadly). But yeah at least it supposedly performs better.

I just fired up the map, ran to the spot and i have to confirm that the comparison is definitely accurate. However, you wouldnt really notice it without the comparison, it runs just fine, so far the blur hasnt been a major issue. (Texture pack installed)

edit: even with the pack it will still load stuff all the time.

Ace 8095

Don't know if I should get the 360 or PC version. I worry the PC community will die in a few weeks while there will still be hundreds of thousands playing on 360.

Don't know if I should get the 360 or PC version. I worry the PC community will die in a few weeks while there will still be hundreds of thousands playing on 360.

I was just playing Blops 1 on PC 2 days ago which has less people playing mw2 or mw3 and I had no problem finding a game and playing with people.

Xater

I just fired up the map, ran to the spot and i have to confirm that the comparison is definitely accurate. However, you wouldnt really notice it without the comparison, it runs just fine, so far the blur hasnt been a major issue. (Texture pack installed)

edit: even with the pack it will still load stuff all the time.

Believe me, I'll notice it. Shitty low resolution is the first thing I notice right after frame rate issues. Anyway, glad I'm not buying it and if I don't get a review copy by tomorrow I don't have to play it at all. :p

cripterion

Could it be the MP version of BLOPS2 in Australia is different from the others? No idea it made me redownload the whole thing :/

fuenf

Believe me, I'll notice it. Shitty low resolution is the first thing I notice right after frame rate issues. Anyway, glad I'm not buying it and if I don't get a review copy by tomorrow I don't have to play it at all. :p

Sorry i phrased it the wrong way, i also noticed that it was blurry right away (see my earlier impressions), however it runs great compared with BO1 and is at least equal to MW3. Maybe i just expected the worst .

Hanmik

Sorry i phrased it the wrong way, i also noticed that it was blurry right away (see my earlier impressions), however it runs great compared with BO1 and is at least equal to MW3. Maybe i just expected the worst .

have you played online..? my problem with BLOPS on ps3 was the shitty netcode..

fuenf

have you played online..? my problem with BLOPS on ps3 was the shitty netcode..

Yeah but it's hard to judge. I didnt find a single game over the weekend without 20 to 50% of the players having yellow bars, so yeah the lag was quite bad. But i believe it's more of a matchmaking problem that will fix itself once more players pick up the game (i played with guys from all over Europe).

jns

Treyarch =/= IW

Treyarch did a pretty splendid job with Blops 1 hackers as I maybe saw 5 total in 240 hours of multiplayer.

I didn't have as many hours as you but I'll echo your sentiments as well. After the rose tinted glasses came off, I really appreciated what Treyarch has done with CoD to the point I'm only interested in playing their releases.

Anyway, I have it sitting in steam waiting to play but I'm working to 8am. Still got the rest of the week off so I can't wait to have a bash.

omonimo

Banned
because i'm currently playing the game on PS3 and know how it looks?

Have you tried to play it on 720p indeed 1080p? The screen it's quite strange. ps3 could be definitely at lower rez but it's incredible clean too, looks to the rez steps, totally absent on ps3 I hardly notice any sort of aliasing, this is why I don't understand this capture.

fuenf

Have you tried to play it on 720p indeed 1080p? The screen it's quite strange. ps3 could be definitely at lower rez but it's incredible clean too, looks to the rez steps, on ps3 I hardly notice any sort of aliasing, this is why I don't understand this capture.

Well that's what the PS3 version looks like, there's hardly any aliasing. However there's one thing that's odd in the screenshots, the UI isnt as centered as in the screenshots, it's actually far more to the right... maybe it has something to do with the capture method?

I dont really see a difference between 720p and 1080p, 720p might be a little more crisp, but i have a FULL HD tv so there's interpolation either way.

Dat sweet sweet PC version
3AQmK.gif

omonimo

Banned
On ps3 it seems (again) 960x540p in this screen, but it's hard to counts pixel step from this capture, I'm talking only for a personal 'perception'. In any case, it's really, really blurried... I don't know, maybe it hasn't used an hdmi cable because seems too much even for a 540p game, just a QAA could blurry so much the IQ.

fuenf

The IQ is definitely better from the previous, from what I see, I assure to you. Probably on ps3 still remain less sharper but no way will be like the previous comparison capture.

Believe me i wish you were right, but the B3D is a fair representation (apart from the HUD placement). Just look at the palm in the background, it's the SAME.

Top Bottom