• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

I really want to say worst COD multiplayer of all time, outside of probably COD3, but I'm gonna give it some more time before I write it off completely.

ShogunX

Every game is the enemy team having 5 UAVs up and then me getting spawn killed because there is literally nothing I can do to not show up on radar since Ghost is level 55 now.

If you are having a hard time with UAV's simply change your class to the default Operative to get both Ghost and Dead silence.

zlatko

Banned
At this point you should know exactly what you're getting into lol

Not really? I found MW3 to be without lag or hit detection issues, but black ops was a turd about hit detection, and it had several issues with matchmaking and friends not getting into games with me.

That's what I'm curious about.

Realyn

Guys what guns are you unlocking? What do you like?

For Hardcore in most maps(except really tiny ones):
FAL OSW with Quickdraw, Laser, Select Fire, Hardlinder, Dexterity, Scavanger, Claymore and a Flashbang
That weap is really amazing. The Claymore allows you to camp a bit and get those kills.

For non Hardcore I use the MSMC as SMG with the same Perks and Grenades. Reflex Visor, Quickdraw and Laser as Attachments.
As fully auomatic AR I'm using the first one I think, called MTAR. But I'm rarely using that. Hipfire with the SMG is way more effective on close range.

edit: If you are trying out the FAL don't forget it's a half automatic rifle. So the first level will be a little bit tough until you unlock the Select Fire Attachment and can choose on the fly.

ShogunX

Not really? I found MW3 to be without lag or hit detection issues, but black ops was a turd about hit detection, and it had several issues with matchmaking and friends not getting into games with me.

Sounds like personal problems rather than widespread. So far I have had no lag issues, joining issues or hit detection problems.

I really want to say worst COD multiplayer of all time, outside of probably COD3, but I'm gonna give it some more time before I write it off completely.

For me this has been the best since Call of Duty 4 purely because the maps are actually decent.

As for guns - The Type 25 is godly. It's great for any range and only needs the steady aim laser as an attachment.

zlatko

Banned
Sounds like personal problems rather than widespread. So far I have had no lag issues, joining issues or hit detection problems.

For me this has been the best since Call of Duty 4 purely because the maps are actually decent.

You haven't with this game you mean? That's what I want to know before purchasing it. I want to know on X360 that hit detection in blops2 was remedied from blops1 and that lag isn't an issue on a solid connection.

I only played one MP match so far but I liked the campaign quite a bit.

eek5

I didn't have issues with either title on 360 so impressions probably won't help you. :(

MrDaravon

Maybe it has to do with the fact that COD uses skill ranking to match players now?
You're probably being matched with more skillful players than before.

I think that's only in League Play (which is a completely separate option)? I'm not a CoD God or anything, but I'm coming off of fairly consistent 30 and 1 in games in core (aka not Ground War) playlists in BO/MW3 and I just went 17 and 24 in BO2 which I think is my absolute best game today, and I got the second scorestreak for the first time ever. I feel like I'm just missing something.

sounds like well masked lag.

Nah, for what it's worth I really don't think that's it at all. I actually like the increased kill times (it's less of a shooting gallery), but it just feels like everyone else has stopping power and I don't or something. I'm going to setup a private custom game, I'm thinking there's just a gun or setup I need to find to start getting my groove going. Maybe I need some attachments, I'm doing so poorly that I've only unlocked one or two for these guns, maybe something there will click for me.

I will say that the maps already seem way better than what was in MW3 (at least on-disc MW3), and outside of part of my first match it's been totally smooth on 360.

ShogunX

You haven't with this game you mean? That's what I want to know before purchasing it. I want to know on X360 that hit detection in blops2 was remedied from blops1 and that lag isn't an issue on a solid connection.

No issues with this game no. As in every COD you will get small delays if you are not rocking the four green bars but the only issue I have seen so far is the amount of people who quit.

zlatko

Banned
No issues with this game no. As in every COD you will get small delays if you are not rocking the four green bars but the only issue I have seen so far is the amount of people who quit.

Okay this is reassuring. Thank you.

I'm still on the fringe on if I want to get this or not today. Hoping my buddy can give me his impression to before I head out from work in 2 hours.

.nimrod

I just played my first couple of matches on the pc and i really, really like it. I think i'll be playing this for a while.

Also, first time playing around with the emblem editor:

qNqOv.png

:D

Kerub

Banned

What parts do you dislike? I'm liking most of the maps and the killstreaks aren't too obnoxious, so I'm enjoying it.

MrDaravon

I just played my first couple of matches on the pc and i really, really like it. I think i'll be playing this for a while.

Also, first time playing around with the emblem editor:

qNqOv.png

:D

That's fantastic. I need to see if I can re-create my blue slime from Black Ops.

CyReN

As a Halo fan, I absolutely love what Treyarch did compared what in Halo 4.
  • Alphabetical in-game friendlist
  • Bringing back create your own emblem
  • League play (ranks)
  • In-Game Spectator Mode
  • Upload Footage to Youtube
  • Live-streaming

so jelly.

zlatko

Banned
As a Halo fan, I absolutely love what Treyarch did compared what in Halo 4.
  • Alphabetical in-game friendlist
  • Bringing back create your own emblem
  • League play (ranks)
  • In-Game Spectator Mode
  • Upload Footage to Youtube
  • Live-streaming

so jelly.

Traitor! :p

What parts do you dislike? I'm liking most of the maps and the killstreaks aren't too obnoxious, so I'm enjoying it.

Biggest complaint is the unlock system, and how Treyarch went out of their to make me play their game for 20 hours before I get to the stuff I usually play with (silencer and ghost).

The maps seem ok, but they're so small that you're constantly running into respawns. Kill one dude and then die as his 3 teammates swarm you from every direction.

I haven't found a gun I like yet either. I usually go with 3-round burst ARs, but the one you get at level 10 is ridiculously weak.

All these problems will probably be fixed by leveling up, but fuck Treyarch for making it such a long, painful grind. Especially after how awesome BO1 was. I don't want to run this dumb treadmill, I want to get the stuff I like and actually play the game.

BadTaste

If your router has the option, your best bet is to remove all port forwards and instead enable UPnP (Universal Plug & Play) in your routers option. Restart it after that for good measure.

That worked like a charm! Ta

edit: What's up with the audio in cutscenes? Sometimes it's quiet and then it's loud as hell.

Manus

So PS3 here and online worked like butter last night, but today after work it's horrible. I can't get a game to load from it freezing my PS3 two times in a row. This blows.

MrDaravon

Okay, the staring SMG (MP7) is waaaaay better than the second one, this is a definite improvement.

I'm not clear from the descriptions, what (if anything) protects you from the Hunter Killers? I'm not sure if that falls under Blind Eye or Cold-Blooded, or neither. Also as an aside, I thought the remote-control cars were gone from this one :/

geekamania

Neo Member
Someone probably already asked this, but is anyone else having trouble redeeming the camo/cards code that came on the coin in the Hardened Edition?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I know its early still but do you guys think so far that the multiplayer is better or worse than Modern Warfare 3? I can buy Blops2 or wait to get MW3 for 25$ on black friday. I also have not played CoD alot...

Why do i constantly have the feeling i'm a split second behind most people ?

When i get in a 1v1 i almost always die in a split second and watching the killcam reveals me just running there doing nothing when the dude just casually shoot my brains out.

Sometimes i think my ping is just to good and i always get the bad side of the "lag compensation"

Cudder

Why do i constantly have the feeling i'm a split second behind most people ?

When i get in a 1v1 i almost always die in a split second and watching the killcam reveals me just running there doing nothing when the dude just casually shoot my brains out.

Sometimes i think my ping is just to good and i always get the bad side of the "lag compensation"

Good fucking LORD. THIS was my main gripe with Black Ops. I absolutely hated this shit. I've been reading through this thread watching for comments like this one and was happy to see no one mentioning this, until now....FUCK

edit: are you on PS3?

Karl2177

To anyone that has played the campaign, are there any moments where there are infinitely respawning enemies until you press a button or progress further?

Fracas

#fuckonami
COD4 and Black Ops are my favorite in the series. I hated Modern Warfare 2 and 3.

Will I like this game's multiplayer?

Good fucking LORD. THIS was my main gripe with Black Ops. I absolutely hated this shit. I've been reading through this thread watching for comments like this one and was happy to see no one mentioning this, until now....FUCK

edit: are you on PS3?

Been running into this on 360. Also seems to have way more drops to lobby than I experienced in MW3

To anyone that has played the campaign, are there any moments where there are infinitely respawning enemies until you press a button or progress further?

They're a couple sections here and there where you're defending something for a certain amount of time, but for the most part it's a lot of forward progression with a limited amount of enemies(although there can be a lot of them!) can be cleared out of practically everybody and you can make your way through. It's not like CoD4 where you had to get past that invisible line to stop enemies from showing up.

Treyarch really stepped up their game. This is MUCH better than Modern Warfare 3 so far.

Remember when Treyarch sucked and Infinity Ward was good? It's the opposite now. MP maps are solid and not tacky.

Karl2177

They're a couple sections here and there where you're defending something for a certain amount of time, but for the most part it's a lot of forward progression with a limited amount of enemies(although there can be a lot of them!) can be cleared out of practically everybody and you can make your way through. It's not like CoD4 where you had to get past that invisible line to stop enemies from showing up.

AFAIR CoD4 only had that on 1 mission. Nothing like that one trench and hill section in Black Ops 1 where you have to press 'X' on like 4 barrels to keep the enemy from spawning?

I don't mind what you described as long as it isn't like the MW2 section where you defend the house. I wasn't a fan of Black Ops 1. I might consider renting it for Campaign and giving a swing by for the MP.

Linkhero1

Okay, is anyone else who would consider themselves pretty good at previous CoD games getting completely and utterly fucking destroyed, or is it just me? I just went 6 and 11, and that is the best game I have had all day, and I just earned my first UAV in probably 8-10 games. What in the fucking shit am I doing wrong? I feel like I'm completely getting the drop on people, shooting them, they don't die and then they casually kill me, but it doesn't feel like lag or anything like that.

I usually run either SMG or AR, and I always carry a launcher to shoot down UAV's. I don't know what the fuck is going on here, but I have never, ever been frustrated like this in a CoD game. Every game is the enemy team having 5 UAVs up and then me getting spawn killed because there is literally nothing I can do to not show up on radar since Ghost is level 55 now. I don't even know what fuck to do, I'm trying different SMG's (hip-firing and ADS) and AR's, and I am just getting fucking destroyed no matter what. Is there some secret combination of weapon and perks that I just don't know about or what? If everything wasn't running so smooth I would say it's lag, but I swear to God people kill me instantly but when I shoot them they never die.

I'm getting destroyed as well. I don't consider myself pretty good at the previous games but I tended to keep my K/D ratio above 1.5 in every match I played. I'm feeling the same pain you're feeling. Not sure why it's like this.

Haliela

Wow... just wow at people saying that this is the worst multi in the series. Are you ****ing kidding me? Really? My god can it be any more obvious at this point that it's a trend to hate the new thing? There is no way any rational person would say this is the worst in the series. That's just ****ing stupid. Sorry.

Top Bottom