• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Spookie

Ugh. Story was going so well until the final past mission.

TAKE THE HEADSHOT WOODS. Why should I? It's fucking clearly mason. I sat there waiting for something to happen hoping it would pull a Spec Ops The Line on me. I eventually shot his captors. Nope. FOLLOW THE SCRIPTING WOODS. FOLLOW THE FUCKING SCRIPTING LIKE A GOOD DOG.

Edit: Oh apparently shooting him in the legs is the alternate way out of the mission giving an achievement.

Some of the alternate mission out comes are interesting but seem to be going no where other than to serve a purpose of leaving a note on the mission screen.

I'm crashing on 360 when I use the emblem editor (slim 360). Looks like I will have to tolerate the "NEW" icon being there all the time.

Dennis

Banned
After a weak start the Single player campaign turns out to be a ton of fun. One level in particular I though was stellar.

FStop7

Banned
Why do i constantly have the feeling i'm a split second behind most people ?

When i get in a 1v1 i almost always die in a split second and watching the killcam reveals me just running there doing nothing when the dude just casually shoot my brains out.

Sometimes i think my ping is just to good and i always get the bad side of the "lag compensation"

This happened to me a lot last night. Exactly as you describe. I'm on a really low latency connection, too. 360 though.

Wow... just wow at people saying that this is the worst multi in the series. Are you ****ing kidding me? Really? My god can it be any more obvious at this point that it's a trend to hate the new thing? There is no way any rational person would say this is the worst in the series. That's just ****ing stupid. Sorry.

I wasn't on the MW3 hate train when it started. So far after 5 hours I really don't like BO2. I really liked BO1. Sorry your mind exploded.

Riposte

Map quality rating please.

BLOPS was functional, but the maps seemed to lack character for me. Is this still the case?

Take this all with a grain of salt since I've only played like an hour:

I found the spawns to be pretty fucked up in both Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3, maybe especially MW3. I think that might have been slightly improved here, but it is hard to tell since the people playing right now are so stupid so you can't really rely on them to predict spawns. In MW3 I also remember the some of the layouts of levels to be very cluttered making points of fire and where to fire kind of difficult to predict at times. I think that's here too for some maps, but it may be inexperience with maps (always an unpleasant baptizing). Also I may be imagining it, but more than before it seems climbing over walls/windows in order to gain new entrances to a room/path are more common. I assume that is there as a countermeasure to camping.

So far my favorite map is "Raid", but I don't think I've played them all.

EDIT: The customization looks neat, but the grinding is still there.

MrDaravon

I'm getting destroyed as well. I don't consider myself pretty good at the previous games but I tended to keep my K/D ratio above 1.5 in every match I played. I'm feeling the same pain you're feeling. Not sure why it's like this.

If it helps at all I switched to the MP7 SMG a few games ago, and it made a world of difference. I'm not going on crazy sprees or anything, but I'm generally going positive now.

I still can't seem to find a good low-level AR to use, but it seems like the attachments make a big difference. It sucks that things you don't have unlocked like perks and attachments don't at least tell you what they do :/. I was trying to see if there was a perk or attachment that let you move at normal speed while ADS and I have no idea if that's there or not.

Spookie

How are the 'choices?'

They aren't having an effect so far. I think I'm fairly far through the game too. Strike force missions are a bit shit too. Just grab one person and mow your way through the opposition, the rest are cannon fodder.

Edit: Scratch that I got a cut scene. Hasn't had an effect on story beats though.

legacyzero

Banned
Map quality rating please.

BLOPS was functional, but the maps seemed to lack character for me. Is this still the case?
I can agree with that.

I've been playing all afternoon. BLOPS 1's maps were way better IMO. they were a lot more open, and functional. They had a better flow.

The balance with the gameplay and the maps dont make much sense to me. Gameplay is fast, and hectic, while the maps are tight, and claustrophobic.

The maps aren't bad, but they aren't of COD4 and BLOPS quality.

This happened to me a lot last night. Exactly as you describe. I'm on a really low latency connection, too. 360 though.

Isn't there a way to test this and make my ping higher? That way i can be on the good side of the lag compensation for a change.

At least i would know where the problems lies.

cdkee

Banned
Okay, Xbox people. What are your opinions? Worth the buy? I enjoy CoD, played them all since CoD2. I hated MW2 and Mw3, but loved BlOps 1. How's this in comparison?

Varithrax

Neo Member
Okay, Xbox people. What are your opinions? Worth the buy? I enjoy CoD, played them all since CoD2. I hated MW2 and Mw3, but loved BlOps 1. How's this in comparison?

I'm the same as you. I hated MW2 and loved the first BLOPS. I'm really liking BLOPS 2 right now. No bs kill streaks like in mw2 that's for sure.

Redd

Well made it to level 12. Got a K/D of 1.79, even with the Ghost nerf. Seems like even if I move, as long as a UAV is up the other team knows where I am with Gghost on.-_-
Still better than Modern Warfare 3 though.

MrDaravon

The Lightning Stike seems to be kind of bullshit since as far as I can tell you see no indicator whatsoever of where or when it's coming in. I'm assuming the Hunter Killer can be avoided with either Cold-Blooded or Blind Eye, but the Strike and the RC-XD (which I swore they said wasn't going to be in) seem designed to randomly fuck you over. I never really roll high-end killstreaks in general, but I have to assume it would be incredibly frustrating to be about to get a VTOL or K9 or something and just get randomly killed instantly by a Lightning Strike that you had no way of possibly avoiding (unless I'm missing something).

GAF: Call of Duty is such a fucking cash grab for Activision, it's the same damn game every year with a new name.

Other GAF: I loved Call of Duties 1, 4, 6, 8, 14, 16, & 17, but I hated Call of Duties 3, 7, 9, & 22.

These are the same people that buy FIFA/Need For Speed/NBA 2K/Assassins Creed etc yearly.

Generalization fail.

qaP6L.gif

My Steam copy should be finished downloading in another 30 minutes or so. This'll be the first COD I've really played since MW1- I rented MW2 but didn't even bother finishing it.

I was thinking of jumping into the campaign right off, but I've never tried the zombie mode in COD before...what are your guys' thoughts on the zombie mode? Fun?

And there's a co-op mode in this game too, right? That might be up my alley. Not so much for the competitive MP these days...

Linkhero1

If it helps at all I switched to the MP7 SMG a few games ago, and it made a world of difference. I'm not going on crazy sprees or anything, but I'm generally going positive now.

I still can't seem to find a good low-level AR to use, but it seems like the attachments make a big difference. It sucks that things you don't have unlocked like perks and attachments don't at least tell you what they do :/. I was trying to see if there was a perk or attachment that let you move at normal speed while ADS and I have no idea if that's there or not.

What's your load out look like? I tried a bunch of combinations, but haven't had any luck. First time I'm struggling in CoD multiplayer since I first played MW2.

The Lightning Stike seems to be kind of bullshit since as far as I can tell you see no indicator whatsoever of where or when it's coming in. I'm assuming the Hunter Killer can be avoided with either Cold-Blooded or Blind Eye, but the Strike and the RC-XD (which I swore they said wasn't going to be in) seem designed to randomly fuck you over. I never really roll high-end killstreaks in general, but I have to assume it would be incredibly frustrating to be about to get a VTOL or K9 or something and just get randomly killed instantly by a Lightning Strike that you had no way of possibly avoiding (unless I'm missing something).

It's funny because I get hit by it half a second after it's called. Timing is pretty bad unless it's all lag. I experienced this issue in almost all my matches thus far.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So can we not change the reticle colour at all in BO2 and are just stuck with whatever colour that reticle comes as?

njean777

I'm getting destroyed as well. I don't consider myself pretty good at the previous games but I tended to keep my K/D ratio above 1.5 in every match I played. I'm feeling the same pain you're feeling. Not sure why it's like this.

try turning off theatre mode, I haven't touched the mp yet as I am finishing the story first. But I remember in MW3 turning of theatre mode helped a lot. So if you can, you may want to turn it off if it is possible.

Desaan

I wonder at some point during the design process and beta's did it ever come up that SMG's are just ridiculous. I'm running around using the Remington because fuck you Treyarch and the SMG hip fire spray brigade.

DTKT

I wonder at some point during the design process and beta's did it ever come up that SMG's are just ridiculous. I'm running around using the Remington because fuck you Treyarch and the SMG hip fire spray brigade.

SMG's are way too powerful now. Amazing at hip spray and pretty awesome at medium range. Hard to beat that kind of perfect combo. Most maps are not long enough for distance to matter.

Linkhero1

try turning off theatre mode, I haven't touched the mp yet as I am finishing the story first. But I remember in MW3 turning of theatre mode helped a lot. So if you can, you may want to turn it off if it is possible.

I remember doing that as well. I'll give it a shot.

MrDaravon

What's your load out look like? I tried a bunch of combinations, but haven't had any luck. First time I'm struggling in CoD multiplayer since I first played MW2.

On that one I'm using the MP7 w/Reflex Sign, the second launcher as a secondary (the one that gets 2 shots but can only lock onto vehicles). For Perks I'm still changing them around a lot as nothing seems to have super clicked for me on those. In previous games I would tend to play fairly safe and would have gone Blind Eye + Cold-Blooded, but I'm going try dropping those and see how that goes. My only concern there is I'm not sure which of those (if either) prevents you from showing up to the Hunter Killers, which at least right now seem to be going up constantly so that might be a problem.

Really though it's mainly just for whatever reason the MP7 feels way better than the second SMG, at least for me personally. I just unlocked the third SMG, I'll give that a go as well. AR-wise I really haven't found anything that clicked for me yet though. The starting one seemed meh, the Type 25 seems alright, but I don't like the third one (not a big fan of burst fire weapons). I think for the ARs unlocking scopes and other things is going to make much more of a difference, and I think I may just need to try sticking with it long enough to see if any of the attachments make it click for me.

SMG's are way too powerful now. Amazing at hip spray and pretty awesome at medium range. Hard to beat that kind of perfect combo. Most maps are not long enough for distance to matter.

At medium range AR users are usually out-gunning me if I have an SMG. It's first-day so it's hard to call anything, but right now they seem fine to me.

Edit: Also, I HATE the multiplayer match announcer :(

Top Bottom