• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

aku:jiki

You run into some guys speaking portuguese, and your buddy asks "what are cubans doing here?"

I really hope that was a joke (or the dude's clairvoyant), 'cause otherwise, that's pretty damn ignorant
American dudebros usually yell for me and my party to "shut the fuck up french faggots." We're swedish and our language sounds nothing like french. It's the way of CoD.

I've not touched the campaign yet, but I've put a few hours into multiplayer and I'm level 27. I think I'm done with COD multiplayer...

- I'm getting the same 'lag compensation'-style bullshit that I had in MW3.
- I'm spawning into fire, sometimes getting killed 3-5 times in a matter of seconds.
- Not a fan of the plethora of nooks, crannies and lines of sight in a lot of the maps. There's way too much of that 'oh you didn't see that dot on your 6? Dead'-type stuff.
- Once again, there's the 'My head shoots you dead' thing going on.
- Killstreaks seem to have disappeared. I've barely seen them in the games I've played. Just a few UAVs, HKs and the odd care package treat. I don't why people are complaining about Ghost because no one seems to bother with UAVs when I play. Put on a silencer and boom, you've got Ghost. It's all depending on your opponent, of course.

I'm a fairly honest player; I walk around the map and shoot people. I can't do this if I'm a few seconds behind. I've tried 'camping'
ergh
before and it just doesn't work - my 'victim' just turns around and shoots me.

I really hope I'm not still playing this in a year.

Portugeezer

Who the fuck at Treyarch thought that making ghost a lv.55 perk was a good idea? They had almost everything perfect with perks/ gun unlocks in BO1 that BO2 is 2 steps back of BO1.

I don't understand why they hate Ghost so much, I mean if they want to make it useless they might as well remove it. Luckily I never prestige so when I get it I will use it any time.

Holy crap. Just watched the GameTrailers review of this and it actually looks like it has a good campaign this time around? Choice, replayability, *loadouts* (yaeah), and that new command/control mode?

My world is shaken. Black Ops 1 is just about the worst shooter campaign I've ever played, and here I am considering picking this new one up. Craziness.

Any Gaffers with solid campaign impressions? Is this Doritos talking or did Treyarch pull it off? Is the multiplayer still a lag fest? Or have they made netcode improvements?

Cudder

what is this I'm hearing about UAV always being on? Does the game do that or are people just referring to everyone easily getting the UAV and activating it, hence making it "online all the time"?

I've not touched the campaign yet, but I've put a few hours into multiplayer and I'm level 27. I think I'm done with COD multiplayer...

- I'm getting the same 'lag compensation'-style bullshit that I had in MW3.
- I'm spawning into fire, sometimes getting killed 3-5 times in a matter of seconds.
- Not a fan of the plethora of nooks, crannies and lines of sight in a lot of the maps. There's way too much of that 'oh you didn't see that dot on your 6? Dead'-type stuff.
- Once again, there's the 'My head shoots you dead' thing going on.
- Killstreaks seem to have disappeared. I've barely seen them in the games I've played. Just a few UAVs, HKs and the odd care package treat. I don't why people are complaining about Ghost because no one seems to bother with UAVs when I play. Put on a silencer and boom, you've got Ghost. It's all depending on your opponent, of course.

I'm a fairly honest player; I walk around the map and shoot people. I can't do this if I'm a few seconds behind. I've tried 'camping'
ergh
before and it just doesn't work - my 'victim' just turns around and shoots me.

I really hope I'm not still playing this in a year.
Damn, you're describing my exact experience with MW3 and that isn't making me feel good about the game at all. Black Ops had lag issues as well, but at least in that game you could scale back, move slower and if you heard someone, you could ADS at the door and be pretty much guaranteed the kill. There were counters for the lag most of the time.

In MW3, I could be head-glitching (when all they see is your forehead) behind impenetrable cover with my sights aimed perfectly at where the guy shows up, and still die before I got a shot off. Killcam shows me just standing there like a dumbass while the other guy actually runs around my cover and hipfire sprays me. Just total fucking unplayable chaos.

I don't understand why they hate Ghost so much, I mean if they want to make it useless they might as well remove it. Luckily I never prestige so when I get it I will use it any time.
They don't hate Ghost, it's just the Vonderhaar school of game design. Instead of actually tweaking and balancing things people complain about, he just says fuck it and nerfs the everloving shit out of it. IW used to be the same but that was the one thing they got better at with MW3.

Holy crap. Just watched the GameTrailers review of this and it actually looks like it has a good campaign this time around? Choice, replayability, *loadouts* (yaeah), and that new command/control mode?

My world is shaken. Black Ops 1 is just about the worst shooter campaign I've ever played, and here I am considering picking this new one up. Craziness.

Any Gaffers with solid campaign impressions? Is this Doritos talking or did Treyarch pull it off? Is the multiplayer still a lag fest? Or have they made netcode improvements?

It's much better than Black Ops.

Still nowhere near the IW greatness. Well worth playing, though, for the futuristic stuff alone. Just don't expect to be blown away.

DeadNames

Banned
Is this game good? Usually I can't stand CoD multiplayer, so I just want to get some impressions.

Just a heads up: MW2, MW3 and Black Ops are abysmal in my opinion. Should I expect the same experience?

Portugeezer

They don't hate Ghost, it's just the Vonderhaar school of game design. Instead of actually tweaking and balancing things people complain about, he just says fuck it and nerfs the everloving shit out of it. IW used to be the same but that was the one thing they got better at with MW3.

For some reason now running around in circles with ghost is required so stay off the UAV... if anything they should have nerfed UAV.

skynidas

Banned
Is this game good? Usually I can't stand CoD multiplayer, so I just want to get some impressions.

Just a heads up: MW2, MW3 and Black Ops are abysmal in my opinion. Should I expect the same experience?

If you are saying those games are abysmal then dont get this one

Or if you really think it was valuable during prestiging you could just use a token maybe? I don't understand why people act as though they "hate" ghost when it is available to you pretty quickly. It doesn't take that long to get to 55. You don't have to prestige if it bothers you that much and if you want to prestige and use Ghost at the early levels, you can always take it with you by using a token. If you value other things to use a token on, than clearly Ghost wasn't that big of a deal to you in the first place.

Loxley

Yep. Most of the "changes" to the game are on the campaign front. If you're not into COD multiplayer at this point, there's nothing in BO2 that will likely change your mind.

atomico

American dudebros usually yell for me and my party to "shut the fuck up french faggots." We're swedish and our language sounds nothing like french. It's the way of CoD.

This is a really perceptive dudebro, though: The next batch of soldiers does speak spanish, so I guess they're really supposed to be Cuban.

Spookie

Command mode: Shit. Frankly.
Choice: Sure, so far it's been fairly menial things which don't effect where the story goes.
Repeatability: Depends on if you want to see the other choices.
Load outs: Kills the dev setting the pace on missions by giving you silencers to begin with etc. It's a double edged sword.

For some reason now running around in circles with ghost is required so stay off the UAV... if anything they should have nerfed UAV.
Oh, he probably will now. If he gets enough tweets about it, he'll make it a 15 killstreak with radar sweeps every 15 seconds or some shit. Vonderhaar style.

eshwaaz

I was on my way to Target with my son, and the GameStop next door had a line of 15 people out the door, waiting to pick up Black Ops 2. In Target, they had the game everywhere; tons of copies, including a whole end cap devoted to it at the registers. When I left an hour later, the line at GameStop was still out the door. Why do people do this to themselves?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I guess no one knows if you can change your reticle colour then?

Can't say I like that so many of the emblem images are behind silly challenges, I would have preferred they kept the CoD dollars and just let us buy everything we wanted. and I don't think I've ever seen so many UAVs in the sky at the same point before in any other CoD, their might be a lot less crazy "scorestreaks" going on, but now there are just a ton of UAVs.
I say that being the guy that usually is the only one who shoots them down, lol.

I still really miss the support kill streak stuff though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They hate campers. At this rate, in the sequel every player is going to have a bomb strapped to them that will explode if they stop moving.

Command mode: Shit. Frankly.
Choice: Sure, so far it's been fairly menial things which don't effect where the story goes.
Repeatability: Depends on if you want to see the other choices.
Load outs: Kills the dev setting the pace on missions by giving you silencers to begin with etc. It's a double edged sword.
Could you elaborate a bit? Loadouts in campaign has been on my wishlist for a long while now. Do you mean it breaks the AI? I don't really mind going beyond designer intent and avoiding their pacing - since that would be by choice.

Damn, you're describing my exact experience with MW3 and that isn't making me feel good about the game at all. Black Ops had lag issues as well, but at least in that game you could scale back, move slower and if you heard someone, you could ADS at the door and be pretty much guaranteed the kill. There were counters for the lag most of the time.

I can't guarantee a kill like that. I've been in situations where I've tried to secure the kill from behind a player who is firing at someone else, and the player has simply turned around and killed me. I've also knife-lunged straight past players too. The main reason I bought BO2 after MW3 was because I thoroughly enjoyed the original Black Ops. I never seemed to have consistent problems merely competing, and if it 'lagged' you'd know about it. I wouldn't want to turn you off it, but YMMV, for sure.

aku:jiki said:
In MW3, I could be head-glitching (when all they see is your forehead) behind impenetrable cover with my sights aimed perfectly at where the guy shows up, and still die before I got a shot off. Killcam shows me just standing there like a dumbass while the other guy actually runs around my cover and hipfire sprays me. Just total fucking unplayable chaos.

I take it you got killed instantly a lot, too? No on-screen blood, just the third-person death animation?

Or if you really think it was valuable during prestiging you could just use a token maybe? I don't understand why people act as though they "hate" ghost when it is available to you pretty quickly. It doesn't take that long to get to 55. You don't have to prestige if it bothers you that much and if you want to prestige and use Ghost at the early levels, you can always take it with you by using a token. If you value other things to use a token on, than clearly Ghost wasn't that big of a deal to you in the first place.

20 hours is not that long? Not to mention silencers are another 2 or 3 hours of gun leveling for ARs.

What is there to tweak about Ghost other then it's in or it's not? If they took it out people would whine, and people will whine that's it's still in.

Balance and tweaking not being a major problem in MW3 was only because the rest of the game was a massive fuck up, even more so then MW2(somehow).

As someone who is usually very oblivious towards CoD, I must say that I am happy I jumped aboard the hype train and bought it. The campaign is quite fun so far and I know I will enjoy zombie at the very least.

Last year I bought MW3 and was very disappointed with it. This year I feel stupid for having purchased it after the deception I had but at least it sems like it was a good decision, well so far at the very least.

It's amazing what hype can do to a person.

On a side note, I love the music during the loadout menu. So relaxing...

Gorillaz

Just a heads up and a little warnin:

There will never be another cod 4. They cant and wont recreate that feeling again. When it comes to cod never have high expectations .

It's much better than Black Ops.

Still nowhere near the IW greatness. Well worth playing, though, for the futuristic stuff alone. Just don't expect to be blown away.
LOL, what? Modern Warfare 3's campaign was atrocious. The American Missions in MW2 were fucking incredible and hearing "So...when we going to Moscow"

*Never goes to Moscow*

Probably the most disappointed I've ever been with a campaign since Halo: Reach.

BO2 is A HUGE step up.

Fantasmo

SMG's are way too powerful now. Amazing at hip spray and pretty awesome at medium range. Hard to beat that kind of perfect combo. Most maps are not long enough for distance to matter.
You HAVE to play in a party. 3 or more. Then you can have all sight lines covered and easily use Assault rifles or LMGs.

I was on my way to Target with my son, and the GameStop next door had a line of 15 people out the door, waiting to pick up Black Ops 2. In Target, they had the game everywhere; tons of copies, including a whole end cap devoted to it at the registers. When I left an hour later, the line at GameStop was still out the door. Why do people do this to themselves?

hot girls work at gamestop.

Fox Mulder

GameStop lets you trade game in towards the purchase of new games. Plus they have that rewards card program. I get that people hate GameStop and that preordering is dumb when a game is everywhere, but GameStop does have some specific advantages to any other retailers.

Top Bottom