• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

eek5

The spawn flip on Hijacked (the boat map) is TERRIBLE. Worse than Firing Range from BLOP1. It literally flips while you're still in the spawn. The fuck man! Put some spawn points on the bottom level or something.

Outside of that, spawns on TDM have been pretty predictable. If you're in a team on Hijacked w/ mics, make sure you communicate when there is a flip or ask if you think there is a flip so someone can confirm. If you just play blind the enemy will always be behind you which is annoying as shit.

Initial thoughts on MP:

- I don't enjoy sitting here like a cunt waiting for MM to find me more players. I miss being able to hit connect and go. I've been sitting here for 5 minutes now remember this is the day after release.
- Maps FAR too small. It feels like they wanted everything to be as messy as nuketown. No more large plazas to snipe just tiny, cramped and horrible corridors to run down and spray.
- Weapons do too much damage, there isn't enough recoil and everything is too accurate. I can't believe I'm saying this but Battlefield 3 has better gunplay.
- 10 slots is a nice idea.
- Perks feel like a rock, paper sissors affair. Less overpowered than usual.
- Someone spawned THREE FEET BEHIND ME. Guess what happened. Yep shot in the back.
- As usual it turns in to who see whom first wins on the PC.
- That obsession with running about with a knife stabbing people instantly. It looks rediculous, it's moronic and if I could find players who do that I'd fire you in to the sun.

Now I can understand while this might appeal to some people. But I'm too old for this shit, I'd take a more methodical shooter or a skill based arena shooter (eg Tribes) anyday. Ugh, I shouldn't have bought it but couldn't resist picking it up for £25. I'm a sucker for deals but I'll be making a mental note never to buy another CoD.

Not suprising. Traditional games value each and every life to the point where the game ends when the player dies. Multiplayer FPS are completely contradictory to this principle of gaming.. . shot, kill, die, respawn, etc. It's to the point of frustration and exhaustion. Now you could play hardcore, but be prepared to wait, and wait. . Killsteaks, high bullet damage, tripple digit kills per round, no defensive options=shallow gameplay, no matter how many perks, loadouts, etc available. Call this the fast food of gaming.

For us with more evolved taste, there is co-op, but unfortunately the amount of content is still not there. . Still waiting for multiplayer FPS to stop offering McDonalds and upgrade to 5 star cuisine.

G_Berry

Banned
ybvXN.gif
Lol that gif. I'm in tears!

i enjoyed the couple of matches i played on PC. i forgotten how to play and ended up having to remap. couldn't figure how to knife shit lol.

ohlawd

Every time I read impressions about BOII's MP and talk about the small maps, crowded corridors and shit spawns, I'm left here feeling jealous.

Jealous that I don't think they've played MW3 which has small maps that were even shitter, the corridors were even more crowded and the spawns were the shittiest to ever grace a FPS. Imagine the rage if they play MW3 for the first time :D

RS4-

Wow hardpoint has some of the worst fucking spawns ever.

edit - I take it back, they all have shit spawning. Half a dozen occasions I'd spawn in someone or they'd spawn in me, and this is in the past 4 games.

DTKT

I'm still baffled that this is a new game. I mean, I skipped MW3 but this feels like the series doesn't change year after year.

It's fun but god damn, it's the definition of recycling.

Something about the game is throwing me off. I think it's the weapons. I can't figure out which weapons are actually worth using. Pardon, I haven't unlocked many, but are there any concrete good weapons to use (such as AK74u on BLOI) or are they all relatively hard to use?

Something about the game is throwing me off. I think it's the weapons. I can't figure out which weapons are actually worth using. Pardon, I haven't unlocked many, but are there any concrete good weapons to use (such as AK74u on BLOI) or are they all relatively hard to use?
early on I think the type 25 is very good.

jns

Can't play a single game on PC. Every time I manage to get into a game, the lag is horrendous and everybody drops or gets kicked. I guess it doesn't help that I'm one of only about 8 people that bought the PC version but I would expect to at least be able to play a match without lag on the supposed dedicated servers.

I've still got a few days to see if it gets better before getting a re-fund on steam and picking up the 360 version.

The matches I managed to play last night on PC were ok, but it feels like the dedicated servers were shut down and Treyarch swapped over to Blizzards D3 Day 1 auth servers....

Any PC users out there on the fence I'd say wait a few days to see if the servers get fixed quickly before jumping in.

PDW-57 with a silencer has been working really well for me.

DTKT

Vector seems like an OP piece of shit that has too many bullets no recoil and a stupid rate of fire.

Also hip fire is better than aiming. Who would have known.

Dysun

PS3 version keeps locking up during game load up at "awaiting textures" and makes me do a hard reset of my ps3 and then the ps3 has to reload old data. Fun...

Elginer

I am not a Call of Duty guy. Never have been and odds are very good I never will be. I think tonight confirmed that. So I picked up Black Ops 2 because I really enjoyed Black Ops campaign and wanted to check out the sequel.

So far the campaign is pretty cool and looks pretty nice too. But I wanted to try my hand at MP. That was a very bad decision.

I have never been called a
'fag'
so many times in all my life. Holy crap guys! I've played Halo online for ages and have never faced that kind of junk talking before. I've heard things like, "aww man that's bullshit" and "fuck you man" but never heard the
'fag'
term thrown away so damn much. I also suck balls at CoD online, but that stuff is really uncalled for.
To be fair, I suck really bad. Halo 4, I can hold my own and do fairly well and it's tons of fun. CoD for me is very much from here on out a strictly campaign and zombies game. Wow. I knew about the jokes about CoD online but holy hell are they accurate. I felt actually bad trying to play online. Like this was some exclusive club and I was a terrible person that wore funny pants and needed to get the hell out there.

Campaign was fun though. :/

witness

Sorry if this has been answered, but can you play bot matches with only bots? I'm confused by the wording, so you can play with other people and bots but can you do just bots like the original BO?

I am not a Call of Duty guy. Never have been and odds are very good I never will be. I think tonight confirmed that. So I picked up Black Ops 2 because I really enjoyed Black Ops campaign and wanted to check out the sequel.

So far the campaign is pretty cool and looks pretty nice too. But I wanted to try my hand at MP. That was a very bad decision.

'fag'
so many times in all my life. Holy crap guys! I've played Halo online for ages and have never faced that kind of junk talking before. I've heard things like, "aww man that's bullshit" and "fuck you man" but never heard the
'fag'
term thrown away so damn much. I also suck balls at CoD online, but that stuff is really uncalled for.
To be fair, I suck really bad. Halo 4, I can hold my own and do fairly well and it's tons of fun. CoD for me is very much from here on out a strictly campaign and zombies game. Wow. I knew about the jokes about CoD online but holy hell are they accurate. I felt actually bad trying to play online. Like this was some exclusive club and I was a terrible person that wore funny pants and needed to get the hell out there.

Don't try to just say its CoD, Halo 4 and for that matter most games on Xbox Live are the same way online.

'fag'
'fag'

Hence the MUTE options in every game lobby. I just mute all but party and the game suddenly gets better :)

DoomGyver

There is something about the first two weeks of a new multiplayer game that is just amazing. I'm level 20 something and I had no issues other than being unable to login to cod for ten minutes or so. There were a few campers, but with ghost out of play I had no problem flushing people out. Overall the maps are good, plaza sticks out as the worst of the bunch. Played 0 nuketown today. Sounds are much improved, the movement feels like cod4. Really liking it so far.

3arch can take the "Tokens" unlocks and shove it. If I unlocked an item by rank it should be available. Although I do like the pick 10 system.

Haliela

'fag'
'fag'

This is untrue for the most part. The majority of people are in party chat. I think I had one game tonight where someone was actually talking in the game channel.

MrDaravon

AR's seem to get a lot more usable with the quick draw and recoil reduction attachments. I still really haven't found one I've liked at all. On the other hand the SMG's are getting better and better, especially with quickdraw attachment. It seems to be coming down more to those, once I struggled through the early AR levels to get the recoil reduction grip that's helping a lot. One other thing that's made a big difference that was never an issue for me in previous games is taking Toughness to reduce flinching when you're hit. It didn't seem to matter before, but with longer kill times I find that's helping me survive encounters and get the counter kill.

How many people are playing on 360? I'm curious.

I'm checking right now and it says 382,942. However I don't think that's accurate, since I'm positive that's exactly how many people it's told me were online the few times I checked a couple of hours ago. I guess at least that many?

Edit: Okay, nevermind apparently :p 800k sounds about right for a CoD launch night. Then launch weekend it usually gets up around a million on 360, and I bet with it being a double xp weekend it'll go higher.

Haliela

AR's seem to get a lot more usable with the quick draw and recoil reduction attachments. I still really haven't found one I've liked at all. On the other hand the SMG's are getting better and better, especially with quickdraw attachment. It seems to be coming down more to those, once I struggled through the early AR levels to get the recoil reduction grip that's helping a lot. One other thing that's made a big difference that was never an issue for me in previous games is taking Toughness to reduce flinching when you're hit. It didn't seem to matter before, but with longer kill times I find that's helping me survive encounters and get the counter kill.

I'm checking right now and it says 382,942. However I don't think that's accurate, since I'm positive that's exactly how many people it's told me were online the few times I checked a couple of hours ago. I guess at least that many?

Edit: Okay, nevermind apparently :p 800k sound about right for a CoD launch night? Then launch weekend it usually gets up around a million on 360, and I bet with it being a double xp weekend it'll go higher.

http://kotaku.com/5960346/there-are...e-playing-black-ops-ii-on-xbox-live-right-now

It's over 800,000!!

and in other news no one is playing Halo 4 anymore ;p

MrDaravon

Oh, I see we're they pulled that from. I'm getting my 382,942 from when you're in the Playlists screen. It still shows that same number, maybe there's some weird issue where it can't show higher than that number in that screen for some reason. But yeah, if I back out further to the "main" multiplayer menu it says there's 539,145 online right now in multiplayer, and 96,694 in Zombies.

I'm thinking about grabbing this (I loved Black Ops), but I gotta know...

DO THE NUMBERS MAKE A COMEBACK?

I loved Black Ops' crazy-ass story. Far more entertaining and intriguing than the MW stuff.

Top Bottom