• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

k/d is a worthless stat.

Classic example, played a TDM a year or so ago and we won 7500-~5000. After the game, a guy on the other team started complaining that his team was horrible and that he “owned” us. He went 10-1 and bragged about his 10K/D. The problem is in a 6v6 he left out the most important equation: 75/players on your team or in this case 75/6=12.

That means for him to do his share, he has to get 12 kills to get to 75. That is the main goal. If he is sooo good, he should be getting in more gun fights that end in a death either way more than 11 times in a ~7minute game. Also, if he thinks he is above average he should know that he is expected to get at least ~20 every game due to his average teammate being below average.

I agree-but I wish more people thought like us. It's frustrating when I'm the only guy on my team actively trying to capture the B flag.

The maps in BLOPS 1 were the best since COD 4. Everything afterwards has been abysmal.

MW2 had some good maps.

What happened to the maps like

Crash
Backlot
BOG
Crossfire (one of the best)
Summit ( my favorite map of all time)
District
Strike
Invasion
Rundown
Underpass

Wheres the inspiration?

You have fine taste in maps, sir.

Black Ops has some great ones. Array and Cracked are really fun long-range maps. Summit and Firing Range are amazing.

I just wish the maps allowed all different sorts of playstyles. If you wanted to chill out in the buildings in Crash, you could. But you could also flank well, clear buildings, and really get into the thick of things with CQC by the copter.

Ensoul

I'm contemplating getting this.

How bad is the spam in this game in terms of nades and killstreaks? Completely ruins most CoD games for me. I prefer 95% of the game be all about gunplay.

Grenades are not bad so far. I have only been killed by a few of them. I am not going to say they are rare but I have not seen many regulars beside the UAV and Hunter Killer killstreaks. It is incredibly difficult (for me anyway) to get more than 3 kills in a row before dying. Yeah there are some people that are very good at the game but for the most part I think people are struggling to stay alive because of the fast paced action and small maps.

JimmyBoy

15k now. 51k peak today.

I kept getting kicked after joining games earlier though. Like instantly.

Ditto, seems like 1/3 games i try to join instantly disconnect me. Open NAT, ports open, etc.

It's absolute nonsense. Silly me for figuring that dedicated servers on PC would give me a better experience.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I really like your FAL set up. Surprised by the AA Secondary in every class. Are UAVs easy to spot/worth shooting down? Feel like with the smaller maps I would be killed while trying to shoot things down.

I personally love concussion grenades on these smaller maps. They work so well.

At the moment I'm finding there to be a ton of UAVs on a lot of the maps due to, as you said, the maps generally being smaller, means people are getting killed faster so they aren't saving up their scorestreaks and using the earlier ones like UAV a lot, especially those on earlier levels.

So seeing as I get killed a lot out of nowhere on some maps I've taken to shooting down as much in the sky as I can when I spawn, plus with the care package helicopter you can get some nice points over a game. I'm not great by any standard a lot of the time so finding other ways to make up points is my aim now there are no support streaks, lol.

But yea, you have to be careful when shooting things down, you die so fast now that you don't usually have time to defend yourself in the middle of shooting something down if someone sees you.

I will probably remove the AA off the Sub-M class at some point though, maybe the bow, seems pretty handy for getting snipers that like to hide and pop out.

And I'll probably have ghost on my AR classes when I get it forthe same reason I use the AA weapon.

I don't think so, I've been looking for that too and don't see it anywhere. Wish we could.

Just checking I wasn't being dense about it, it is a shame, I'd like to use the cross on the red dot sight but don't like the green colour.

kuYuri

My friend thinks that when you prestige, you don't lose everything like in past games, but I could have sworn that all items lock again except weapon attachments and that challenges do not reset. Can anyone confirm which is the case?

My friend thinks that when you prestige, you don't lose everything like in past games, but I could have sworn that all items lock again except weapon attachments and that challenges do not reset. Can anyone confirm which is the case?

you have to unlock everything again (you can use prestige tokens to "permanently unlock" things once per prestige). What doesn't unlock is your weapon stat progression.

Mileena

Banned
k/d talk lol

I have a 3.10 in Blops and a 1.15 in Blops 2

I have no idea what's ever happening, just get shot in the back all day in this game. It's really fun!

Caved in and bought this even though i'm still pissed at how BLOPS 1 PC turned out ......

Cant comment on performance because my system now since getting an I5 runs BLOPS 1 absolutely fine, and BLOPS 2 is running great too.

Graphically, yup standard COD graphics (which i like due to how smooth and fluid it all is), but now with 4xMSAA and i think FSAA applied, there is basically no jaggy in site, cleanest looking COD yet !

Leans back, woo !

Tried multiplayer, matchmaking system is very fast, quite impressed with it really. My only problem however is, once in-game, it tends to pause every so often, I dont think its a performance thing, more connection issue, possibly because my NAT is "Strict" or something ..... need to delve a bit more into it.

Oh and old man Woods is pure comedy.

You have fine taste in maps, sir.

Black Ops has some great ones. Array and Cracked are really fun long-range maps. Summit and Firing Range are amazing.

I just wish the maps allowed all different sorts of playstyles. If you wanted to chill out in the buildings in Crash, you could. But you could also flank well, clear buildings, and really get into the thick of things with CQC by the copter.

I honestly think the current maps in Blops2 lend themselves pretty well towards mid to long range combat too, it's just that the mechanics of the game pushes everything towards a run and gun style of play (which I don't really mind). I dunno, maybe once people learn the maps the game will slow down, I remember MW3 being pretty hectic the first month of it's release too. One thing that worries me though is that right now I think sniper rifles are dominating AR's in mid to long range combat though.I can't call it though, I'm not really dying to snipers that much, but I see alot of people who are though. I think alot of AR users are gonna turn to LMG's instead, they seem to be really good this time around.

VASPER

Banned
So i am a little scared that this game is not selling as well as i would expect, i work retail at a game store and we sold way more copies of Halo day one compared to this. Also i don't see even half a million gamer's on this game last night

On a side note i really like this game.

nitric0

Sorry if asked before but how do I install this game on the PS3? The game looks blurry and horrific on my tv but I'm playing off disc.

atomico

I really should've bought Black Ops 1 when it went on sale on Steam last month. I feel like I'm missing out on all this "numbers" stuff

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
Does Blind Eye offer any protection from UAV's?

How do I know if I am the host in a public match?

Some thoguhts:

- GAAHHHH! @ lag compensation. I know I have a solid connection yet my death cams are hilarious.

- SMGs are the hotness right now, however I don't feel that ARs are bad. I have success with both and will happily choose either one depending on what I need to do.

-The shotguns are seriously fun; I love the S12 and long barrel. Unfortunately the lag issue can really be frustrating for me using them.

-Constant UAVs is whatever, they're up on both teams. Shoot them down and press the enemy. A lot of CoD players out there are really bad/young, they just have lots of free time to gain levels quickly. Play smarter.

-I love the "sigh mic" or whatever the actual name of it is, but hearing the complaints of people you kill in game is pretty funny. Most people that I kill in game just "sighhhhhh" or *deep breath*. LOL I love it.

-I have no real issue one way or the other with the maps. I found them all fun, some have some tricky places to gain line of sight, but learning them will come with time. The spawns are the issue here, very predictable.

Anyone know how the hell to play Strike Force missions properly?

I barely succeeded on the first one, and I have no idea how to properly defend sectors with my units despite doing tutorial. And after hearing they play a big role in Campaign, I don't really want to skip them.

I honestly think the current maps in Blops2 lend themselves pretty well towards mid to long range combat too, it's just that the mechanics of the game pushes everything towards a run and gun style of play (which I don't really mind). I dunno, maybe once people learn the maps the game will slow down, I remember MW3 being pretty hectic the first month of it's release too. One thing that worries me though is that right now I think sniper rifles are dominating AR's in mid to long range combat though.I can't call it though, I'm not really dying to snipers that much, but I see alot of people who are though. I think alot of AR users are gonna turn to LMG's instead, they seem to be really good this time around.

MW3 never had any flow to me. But Blops has my favorite maps in the series.

I don't mind run 'n' gunners. I think they're necessary for the game. But I personally play mid/long range, so I'm glad you feel the maps can accommodate that playstyle.

Very interesting that you say LMGs are good. I can't ever think of a situation in the past where I used them for more than "just for fun." Anything that makes them worth playing this time? Rate of fire? Better range than ARs?

-I love the "sigh mic" or whatever the actual name of it is, but hearing the complaints of people you kill in game is pretty funny. Most people that I kill in game just "sighhhhhh" or *deep breath*. LOL I love it.

I'm going to train myself to say "Nice shot" or "Nice kill" after every death. I'm going to bring good sportsmanship to Call of Duty.

Any PS3 player having trouble getting into matches today?!
I haven't been able to get on all day, thought the servers might be down since a few friends have been complaining about the same thing.

Anyone else getting servers down error? 360 version. Can't sign in.

Works perfect for me > Canada

Really love the Type 25. Good precision, really fast rate of fire, good damage. I don't see myself using anything else anytime soon.

Amy secondary worth picking up? So far I always take a standard gun, but I don't really get the chance to use it :/

Disguises

Any in depth Wii U impressions?
In-depth? None so far as I know. It's technically not released yet so I guess we'll get some news closer to launch. It's harder than I thought holding out for the Wii U launch. Hurry up, damnit.

Edit: Actually, I just realised the US release date is this Sunday!! Guess we'll get some info sooner than I thought...

FStop7

Banned
Man, I love having scorestreaks rather than killstreaks. In Kill Confirmed I'm able to get the UAV with two kills + getting their tags. Then I get points for UAV assists plus I can scoop up some unclaimed tags and get the hunter killer. From there it's a short hop to the Lightning strike.

MW3 never had any flow to me. But Blops has my favorite maps in the series.

I don't mind run 'n' gunners. I think they're necessary for the game. But I personally play mid/long range, so I'm glad you feel the maps can accommodate that playstyle.

Very interesting that you say LMGs are good. I can't ever think of a situation in the past where I used them for more than "just for fun." Anything that makes them worth playing this time? Rate of fire? Better range than ARs?

MW3 was all over the place, I agree that the game had no real flow, and Blops 1 did have the best maps in the series;you could play black ops maps in a variety of ways and find each play style viable because the maps accommodated multiple play styles.

I've had only limited time with some of the LMGs, but I immediately noticed that they were much more accurate over longer ranges than some of the AR's I've been using; as long as you're stationary they have little recoil. can't say I noticed much damage drop off either between ranges, they seemed stronger than the AR's at long range for sure though. I'm gonna spend some extensive time with the LMG's to find out for sure, but early impressions leave me feeling like they're, pretty good.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm going to train myself to say "Nice shot" or "Nice kill" after every death. I'm going to bring good sportsmanship to Call of Duty.

I actually do this, but only for shots that were legitimately good, or that make me pause and wonder how the guy hit me.

Sadly, they will never hear my 'damn, nice shot!' because I've had friends only chat on for, oh, the last several years :p

Jas

Any PS3 player having trouble getting into matches today?!
I haven't been able to get on all day, thought the servers might be down since a few friends have been complaining about the same thing.

Yeah sounds like its happening to a lot of people.

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200530201?start=0&tstart=0

You should be able to play League games, I just did at least.
I also read if you use another account you can play regular multiplayer but haven't tried it yet.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Does Blind Eye offer any protection from UAV's?

How do I know if I am the host in a public match?

Blind Eye wont affect UAV's because they don't try to kill you, lol, you will need Ghost to hide from UAV's.

And I could tell on MW3 if I was host, they wont actually tell you in any of the games because I imagine it would annoy people, but my K/D gets shat on and thrown out the window when I become Host for whatever stupid compensation they have running so I would always just leave and my friends still in the game could confirm the host migration.

BadTaste

9I81G.jpg

Current setup, despite recoil from Rapid Fire, it works pretty well.

Glad to see the time honored Call of Duty tradition of me being put on the shittiest team that matchmaking can assemble is still being practiced.

Game after game today... refuses to go after objectives, refuses to protect objectives, couldn't kill someone sitting in front of them, tied up, and already halfway dead, etc. They are pretty great at getting in my way though. So thats something.

Enjoying the game though! lol

Branson

My first experience last night was playing mp drunk after the servers came back on. It seemed like a laggy mess. Maybe it was the alcohol but is it better today?

A lot of you like Hardline. I'm surprised. I don't even plan on unlocking it. Especially with Pick 10, I'd much rather pick something that might keep me alive for that extra kill or pick a piece of equipment that will get me that extra kill (while also helping me survive) because that only moves me up the scorestreak ladder faster.

Any in depth Wii U impressions?

Here's my impressions:

Day 1: Read about Blops 2 on GAF.
Day 2: Read about Blops 2 on GAF.
Day 3: Play with a create-a-class calculator widget. Read GAF.
Day 4: Make a Word .doc for everything I want to unlock. Read GAF.
Day 5: Is it Sunday yet? (Read GAF.)

:p

FStop7

Banned
Game design 101 for Treyarch: flanking is not possible without choke points. I need to be able to predict the enemy location or else it's not flanking, it's running around like an idiot.
I love how every single 90+ degree turn in these maps has a waist high trash can or a construction barrier or crate in the corner. Brilliant problem solving there, treyarch. So brilliant, you use it on every corner. Their are more ways to infiltrate a completely irrelevant 6 by 6 room in Blops2 than there were ways to infiltrate an entire map long building in Bloc or the three story building focal point in Crash.

Why would you even try to do this? This is a CoD game. If you try to use any kind of actual tactics such as holding a position a bunch of kids are just going to scream and call you a camper. I gave up on that a long time ago and learned to just enjoy CoD for what it is - a run and gun shitfest somehwat reminiscent of the good old days of Quake deathmatch. Now I'm having a lot more fun.

Top Bottom