• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ExtraKr1spy said:
They should add a night map for dlc. Like the parking lot section from Second Sun(or w.e the level is where the lights go out)

Someone mentioned this earlier, and I think it's a fantastic idea. I think it'd be a lot of fun, and an opportunity to use Night Vision Goggles where necessary (not make it an attachment, just make it a universal equipment for that map). Considering the branding of the NVG sound and coloring for the Modern Warfare line, I'd say that's sort of a missed opportunity.

atomico

Got the game yesterday. Didn't do as bad as I expected, but going up with my vainilla m4 against all these guys with heartbeat sensors, thermal image scopes and all sorts of high tech shit is so depressing :lol

I did down helicopters and harriers like there was no tomorrow. Even nailed a couple sticky semtex kills and revenges :D

Macattk15

So I put the ACOG on my Barrett to try it out ... and I actually do worse with it attached as opposed to the regular sight. Makes me angry.

Arjen said:
I would be happy to pay 20€ to remove Wasteland forever and burn it in a giant fire.

It's a total holdover from Call of Duty Crusty Old Edition. Matter of fact, how much of this stuff is recycled? As I was running through the "farmhouse" area in the C-140 Spec Ops mission, I noticed a few buildings were just ripped out of "Downpour" and placed here.

I'll pay $5 to have Afghan replaced.

RSTEIN said:
MW2 forces you to change your game up much more than MW1. In every MW1 map I would dominate with just the M14, stopping power, and juggernaut. Even the small maps.

Not to be picky, but you couldn't have stopping power and juggs. You mean or perhaps?

Enosh

divisionbyzorro said:
This man speaks the truth, and anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot. No joust.

IW has said on multiple occasions that they have the ability to switch up MP game modes on the fly. Blindly assuming that they're going to charge for access to new playlists is far too cynical.
especialy when you know

they already released 3 of them for fucking free -.-

Macattk15 said:
So I put the ACOG on my Barrett to try it out ... and I actually do worse with it attached as opposed to the regular sight. Makes me angry.
Oh yeah, I have no doubt. The ACOG is the great crippler. It's my mortal enemy. Not entirely sure why they made it the way they did, but it sucks.

I'd be surprised if it magnifies much more than the Holo or Red Dot, but it's definitely half as accurate.

Macattk15

DeuceMojo said:
Oh yeah, I have no doubt. The ACOG is the great crippler. It's my mortal enemy. Not entirely sure why they made it the way they did, but it sucks.

I'd be surprised if it magnifies much more than the Holo or Red Dot, but it's definitely half as accurate.

Yeah I definitely agree. It just doesn't seem like it magnifies any further (actually feels like less) than the normal sniper scopes. Sure you can see your surroundings more ... but I SWEAR I had the ACOG scope reticle on a few peoples heads last night with my breath held and I missed the shot.

I'm only using the damn thing to try and unlock Thermal.

Druz

divisionbyzorro said:
This man speaks the truth, and anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot. No joust.

IW has said on multiple occasions that they have the ability to switch up MP game modes on the fly. Blindly assuming that they're going to charge for access to new playlists is far too cynical. I know you're still butthurt about not getting dedicated servers on PC, but wait until you know what you're talking about here before you start spewing ignorant hate.

The "you" in my post is the generic "you." Don't take it personally.

Wait until they know what they're talking around here? PC Gamers got charged the equivalent of charging console gamers $70 and you don't expect the Dev/Publisher to jump on to every DLC $$ opportunity?

"You" guys are so used to being taken from behind that you're oblivious. That's it, fight for the corporate giant on a message board I'm sure they'll reward you with a table scrap or none.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The idea of there being a hidden mode called Global Thermonuclear War makes the WarGames lover in me totally geek out. I'm guessing it was intended to be an easter egg from the get-go.

Damn I love the marathon / lightweight / commando setup. It's just too fun flanking fools and dropping them with a stab in the back, and killing unsuspecting fools with a throwing knife is the most satisfying thing ever. Can't wait to unlock the Marathon Pro and Lightweight Pro.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
PedroLumpy said:
Not to be picky, but you couldn't have stopping power and juggs. You mean or perhaps?

I dunno. I stopped playing a while ago :lol Maybe it was just stopping power.

The point is that I found that the map layouts of MW1 never encouraged the player to explore different weapons or different builds. The M14 was such a beast of a weapon. I could snipe with it more effectively than the actual sniper rifles. I could run and gun with it better than the UMP or P90.

I'm finding MW2 is much different. The map layouts make you think hard about your weaponry and perks. Plus the extra level of trying to neutralize your opponent's perks and equipment (e.g. cold blooded/ninja vs. HBM/UAV).

ALeperMessiah said:
Damn I love the marathon / lightweight / commando setup. It's just too fun flanking fools and dropping them with a stab in the back, and killing unsuspecting fools with a throwing knife is the most satisfying thing ever. Can't wait to unlock the Marathon Pro and Lightweight Pro.
Yeah, agreed. Hard to ever ditch Marathon. Along with Commando Pro, you can sprint, kill, then jump off a 3 story building and not worry about it. :D

Dabanton

RSTEIN said:
I love Wasteland. As was said above, it's really awesome to float around in the tall grass. I feel like a raptor :lol

MW2 forces you to change your game up much more than MW1. In every MW1 map I would dominate with just the M14, stopping power, and juggernaut. Even the small maps.

In MW2 it is essential to create different load outs for the different maps. Maps like Scrapyard, Skid Row and Sub Base I'm going commando style. Rapid fire ninja shit. Then I'll switch over to a mid range build with SCAR/stopping power for Estate. Rather than fight the maps I'm really trying to embrace them and go with the flow. One stops hating certain maps when one stops trying to force an incorrect strategy upon them.

andycapps said:
Agreed with that. Also, this feels more like there's a lot of very different ways to play. You could be the hulking power in this, or you could go ninja-like and both be successful. Seems a lot of times like I'm trying to counter other people's perks with my own to figure out what works better.

Also, a lot less grenade kills in this game, it feels like they reduced the distance you can throw a grenade quite a bit, also it seems like people have less grenades. Also, less last stand and martyrdom idiots.

Couldn't agree with this more,people are fighting against the maps trying to use what may have worked in the first game and trying the same tactics in this and getting frustrated when they keep getting owned. In the first game i had maybe 2 loadouts in this one i have a loadout for every occasion.

For instance on Quarry i like to go use a P90 with

Marathon Pro

Lightweight Pro

Commando Pro

As the layout of the map is very jagged and you have to watch up high and low for enemies, most people don't have a chance to react to me running at them round corners at speed. :lol

jiien

minx88 said:
I also tried out the Marathon/Lightweight/Commando knife setup. HOLY SHIT! My first match I went 36-26 and had to most killed on my team. My second match I got a 10 kill knife streak! :lol :lol However, the following games I didn't far too well, guess it depends on the map and who you are playing.

A couple of my friends do it all the time. One is much better than the other though, because I think he knows where to run, and on which maps to use it. The other day, some guy kept trying to get me on Afghan. DID NOT WORK. I think he may have gotten me once, but there was a clusterfuck of enemies, so I couldn't quite get all of them while he rushed me. But yeah, on open maps, don't bother. People see you from a mile away, and if you're dashing a beeline for your target, you get gunned down quick.

His killcam when he got me that one time was epic. I can see why people love the class. You move so freaking fast, and down people like a warm knife through butter.

dralla

is there any reason for having a limit on custom classes, why only 5? I'd like to make more instead of having to keep switching in the lobby.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I find the P90/Knife setup works amazing on Sub Base. Just amazing. You can run up the stairs to the roof, shoot down below, run across, get them when they spawn, run back up, jump down on them when they're in the middle, go in the hallway, spray bullets... man. That map is beautiful for commando tactics.

butts

Wasteland (aka Brecourt) was awesome in vCoD and CoD2 because it was made specifically for the way those games were balanced. I don't know whose bright idea it was to remake it for this, but it is probably the only map I really hate in this one. It is just outright not balanced for this game because of the killstreak perks. Not only that, but it is incredibly ugly to look at.

There are so many other vCoD and UO maps that would be awesome as remakes for this one, I am sort of baffled why they picked Brecourt of all maps. Oh well.

Sushen

unomas said:
Wasteland is horrible, a campers dream.
Those who get killed by campers complain about campers. Those who take campers as easy prey with/without knifes love them. Having said that, I would say Wasteland is least favorite map in the game for me too.

Sushen said:
Those who get killed by campers complain about campers. Those who take campers as easy prey with/without knifes love them. Having said that, I would say Wasteland is least favorite map in the game for me too.

Completely Agree, you just have to creep the long way around from your spawn, as all the camping snipers will be facing the other way. Never (EVER) go inside the bunker in the middle, just circumnavigate the outer boundaries of that map and you'll be eating those camping snipers for breakfast.

Wasteland is the only map where I feel I'm really being unfair to the enemy team, i've gotten my highest streaks on that map (30+). Prime for the chopper gunner and AC130 streak rewards

unomas

Banned
Sushen said:

And where am I supposed to go when guys start running massive killstreaks and heli's start flying around? Just not a big fan of that map, I'll quit out of it or vote against it every match. Estate, Wasteland, and Afghan I pretty much refuse to play. I see so many people quitting out of matches on Estate especially as well as Wasteland.

I like tacos filled with uncooked chicken, and I like Wasteland.
I like watching reruns of Maude while football is on, and I really really enjoy a good pink Zinfandel. And I like Afghan. It's so enjoyable.

HooCares

Neo Member
Macattk15 said:
Yeah I definitely agree. It just doesn't seem like it magnifies any further (actually feels like less) than the normal sniper scopes. Sure you can see your surroundings more ... but I SWEAR I had the ACOG scope reticle on a few peoples heads last night with my breath held and I missed the shot.

I'm only using the damn thing to try and unlock Thermal.

What's the appeal with thermal sights when everyone and their mom is using cold blooded now?

I've been having a great time with stealth class setups (Ninja, Cold Blood, Marathon), but have been getting frustrating at the same time. Whenever some dipshit on my team follows me, firing his gun in the air like a jackass, it's like I might as well not even be stealthed at all.

If the game is dipshit free, I'm still fucked by the fact that as I'm flanking the enemy, totally invisible, my teammates start re-spawning all around me, again ruining my stealthed approach.

fuck.

HooCares said:
If the game is dipshit free, I'm still fucked by the fact that as I'm flanking the enemy, totally invisible, my teammates start re-spawning all around me, again ruining my stealthed approach.

fuck.
Hmmmm... I think you might be diminishing the effectiveness of a fast, stealthy fighter. Yeah, your buddy is getting his head blown off as he charges in with a machine gun, and meanwhile, you're sneaking up the back stairs and blasting people with a silenced shotgun or whatever (btw, brilliant move on allowing all these add-ons on every weapon -- silenced shotgun reminds me of Anton Sugar/ No Country for Old Men) and then disappearing.

You could possibly think of a downside to using any perk when compared with another perk, but cold-blooded -- just for its ability to mask you from helis, jets, and sentries -- is worthwhile.

atomico

DeuceMojo said:
cold-blooded -- just for its ability to mask you from helis, jets, and sentries -- is worthwhile.

do you still show up on heartrate sensors and thermal sights?

edit: already answered above (...maybe)

HooCares

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
I didn't think cold blooded affected thermal sights...

You will be invisible to thermals with cold blooded.

Think Arnold Covered in Mud.

1987_predator_004.jpg

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I am starting to get a little confused with some of the perks. I always have Ninja pro on in every class I have and yet watched a couple kill cams closely yesterday and I was coming up on heart beat sensors. what the deuce???

HooCares

Neo Member
Not a Jellyfish said:
I am starting to get a little confused with some of the perks. I always have Ninja pro on in every class I have and yet watched a couple kill cams closely yesterday and I was coming up on heart beat sensors. what the deuce???

Apparently it's a glitch where the killcam is showing you in the sensor, but in actuality you were off the sensor from that players PoV. I've used the HB sensor a lot and do not see Ninja players.

Rad-

Finally got the game. First impressions are: multiplayer feels so disappointing. All the maps feel very chaotic. I dunno if they made them smaller or what but it feels like there's an enemy around every corner. I kill a dude, another appears from behind. I die, I spawn next to an enemy. Meh, dunno, maybe I just had some horrible luck.

Also RPD isn't nearly as great in this. Which I guess is a good thing because it was so horribly overpowered in the first one, it was like free 5+ K/D if you used that thing.

While I feel disappointed now I'm willing to bet that my experience gets better as I unlock more stuff.

mbmonk

Rad- said:
Also RPD isn't nearly as great in this. Which I guess is a good thing because it was so horribly overpowered in the first one, it was like free 5+ K/D if you used that thing.

It's all personal play style/preference but I really liked using the LMG's ( not the RPD though ) once I got Bling Pro and was able to put the handle and red dot attachements on them. Then those guns become decently accurate, easier to ADS and not loose your situational awareness, and a DEEEP clip.

I really enjoyed those weapons. I have since moved on to trying to unlock all the attachments for the sniper weapons and that is tough for a person who has never really sniped in any game.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
HooCares said:
Apparently it's a glitch where the killcam is showing you in the sensor, but in actuality you were off the sensor from that players PoV. I've used the HB sensor a lot and do not see Ninja players.

Alright thanks, good to know.

HooCares said:

I think it has to do with the fact that the killcam actually shows you what the "server" saw happen (not what was actually on the other guy's screen). Obviously the server knew where you were.

kodt

Banned
How long does it take to find a game on the PC version?

On 360 it usually takes me about 15-20 seconds before it finds a game.

jiien

Rad- said:
While I feel disappointed now I'm willing to bet that my experience gets better as I unlock more stuff.

It does. What I do love about this iteration of the CoD franchise is that all of the attachments (save for one for each class of gun) applies to every single weapon (and even secondaries!) The amount of customization you can put on your gun is astounding. My habit is to always replace my secondary with the gun of the first enemy I kill, so I get to see all sorts of cool Bling combinations. (The downside is that I haven't leveled up a single secondary, haven't gotten a single attachment for anything yet D: )

I think that the reason so many people are bitching about the "only five custom slots" is that you just have so many options. In WaW, at least, there weren't QUITE as many options, and by the time you were good enough to realize how many custom load outs you needed and found useful, you were prestiging.

kodt said:
How long does it take to find a game on the PC version?

On 360 it usually takes me about 15-20 seconds before it finds a game. However on PC it usually takes around 3-4 minutes. Is this normal?

Also, it seems host migration doesn't work on PC b/c it always says "Could not migrate host"

to actually find a game? it takes me seconds. once you're in lobby though sometimes you have a wait a little bit for that game to start. but it takes you that long just to find a lobby? that's not normal.

Talon

Gamer @ Heart said:
How the fuck do i beat the end of "For the record"? No matter what the fuck i do, i get mortared. I tired 15 times and just gave up. What obvious thing am i not doing?
Right before you start going down the hill, clear out the area behind you. Hang to the right and shoot at enemies while making your way down but avoid running into the bushes (somehow they're mortar magnets). You should make it out fine that way.

Seep

Is it true that you unlock more weapons when you advance through the prestige levels? because I don't fancy giving up my AK, Desert Eagle, M16 or M21 for some shitty emblem. But if I can get my hands on the Druganov or the AUG then I'll seriously consider it.

While I'm here why the fuck do I have to unlock grips for weapons that have them as standard! Striker I'm looking in your direction.

scoobs

So last night I decided to play a couple rounds of multiplayer at about 9pm... then i turned my ps3 off at 3am, damn you call of duty.

Top Bottom