• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Koroshi said:
It's not a glitch. In one of the patches, they added flares to the Harrier since it was so easy to destroy. You can now only destroy it with one missile if you're directly under it.

Sorry but I find that very hard to believe. I've fired two missiles in a row and seen them both miss without the slightest sign of a flare. And even if it did, the missing missiles do not simply just miss like they do when you fire at a AC130, the bounce back and fly around in odd, random patterns. I've have them do a total 180 and come right back at me. Hell, last week my friend had a jav circle around and land riight on his head. That is not the result of a flare.

I doubt they'll ever fix it. Look at how long it's taking them to fix that stupid rock in Fuel. That should have been fixed before the maps were even released on PS3.

DoomGyver

By the time they fix this (if) I think most people will be ready to purchase black ops. With any luck that game will be much more balanced.

Full Recovery said:
By the time they fix this (if) I think most people will be ready to purchase black ops. With any luck that game will be much more balanced.

A drunken monkey with one leg is more balanced than MW2. I don't see how Black Ops could possibly be any worse.

Did they ever fix the being able to get under the map glitch in Overgrown in MW1 or did they just leave it broken there and fixed it for the MW2 version?

Finally completed a personal challenge of mine...
Get 50 kills in TDM (50-6)

It was on Fuel and I used Harriers, Pave and CG. I've been 1 kill away on Trailer Park and Storm in the past so was buzzing to finally make it.

aku:jiki

I've been floating away from WaW lately, but yesterday I decided to get back into it and now I'm just gonna go ahead and orgasm over bolt action rifles again. OMG MOSIN NAGANT OMG SO MUCH FUN :D

I hope they have nothing but bolt-action rifles in the sniper category in Black Ops! No more M21 shenanigans please.

ThirstyFly said:
Did they ever fix the being able to get under the map glitch in Overgrown in MW1 or did they just leave it broken there and fixed it for the MW2 version?
Still there! So is the rock glitch on Creek, and you can still get under the map (and up to the bombed-out houses you're not supposed to be in) on Ambush. Oh yeah, some dude was outside the map on Backlot the other day too...

Ah, the Infinity Ward school of fixing stuff. Nerf harmless stuff to oblivion but leave gamebreaking shit lying around! :lol

Koroshi said:
I read it on Robert Bowling's Twitter, so it can't be false.
Not that I don't believe you, but can you find that post for us? It's just I've been unhealthily obsessed with CoD these past few months and I don't recall anything like that.

Just ran into a funny situation on WaW; I played against a party that included an obvious couple (they had matching male/female gamertags). Actually, that part wasn't funny at all since this full party actually all cared about the objective while my randoms couldn't be bothered to do anything but camp...but anyway. :(

The funny part was that the girl was the skilled, aggressive rusher who played it straight with no bullshit and the boyfriend was the pussy camper with zero skills and an encyclopedia of awful, shitty tactics. Don't see that very often! :lol

Xux said:
wut the M4, FAMAS, SCAR, TAR, UMP, Vector, P90, RPD, and MG4 are perfectly fine guns. Aside from the ACR in some situations, none of the guns you haven't unlocked have much over what you have now.
I am a m16 whore, I do so well with that gun :D The burst fire pistol is also a good weapon of choice for me.

ThirstyFly said:
Sorry but I find that very hard to believe. I've fired two missiles in a row and seen them both miss without the slightest sign of a flare. And even if it did, the missing missiles do not simply just miss like they do when you fire at a AC130, the bounce back and fly around in odd, random patterns. I've have them do a total 180 and come right back at me. Hell, last week my friend had a jav circle around and land riight on his head. That is not the result of a flare.

I doubt they'll ever fix it. Look at how long it's taking them to fix that stupid rock in Fuel. That should have been fixed before the maps were even released on PS3.
i have missed harriers before for no reason at all, it's like the homing path makes the missile only just miss due to bad luck and this was before some patches months ago.

aku:jiki said:
Still there! So is the rock glitch on Creek, and you can still get under the map (and up to the bombed-out houses you're not supposed to be in) on Ambush. Oh yeah, some dude was outside the map on Backlot the other day too...

Ah, the Infinity Ward school of fixing stuff. Nerf harmless stuff to oblivion but leave gamebreaking shit lying around! :lol

God, I can't believe they couldn't get it together to fix that crap before MW2 came out. I guess they just didn't have the development funds to fix it, after all MW1 sold so few copies...

LeMaximilian said:

:lol The scoreboard part makes it.

I hate you, randoms! When did trying to win go out of fashion anyway? Seriously.

ThirstyFly said:
God, I can't believe they couldn't get it together to fix that crap before MW2 came out. I guess they just didn't have the development funds to fix it, after all MW1 sold so few copies...
Yeah, I hate it when fanboys use that argument... "Patches cost money!" They sold like a billion copies! :lol

I'm not so bothered by geometry glitches though - most people don't bother. I had a dude who had to do it both on Overgrown and then on Creek just now, but I managed to destroy his fun on Creek by counter-camping his stupid rock. :D

I'm not so bothered by geometry glitches though - most people don't bother. I had a dude who had to do it both on Overgrown and then on Creek just now, but I managed to destroy his fun on Creek by counter-camping his stupid rock. :D

I wish people didn't bother in MW2, but the Fuel glitch is so common when I play. I think it's more annoying when your teammates are hiding in that damn rock during objective modes instead of helping you with the objective.

Like, I've had matches in Demolition where we were trying to plant the bomb, and 2 "teammates" would instantly glitch inside the rock. Idiots don't realize that they're both fighting over the same random kills that happen to wonder by the rock - so they're cannibalizing each other and they're not going to kill anyone anyway since the defenders have absolutely no reason to be in that area at all. And they're sure as hell not helping plant the bombs so there's no way we're going to win when we're 2 men down like that.

I simply can't believe how common that scenario is either. *imagines the MW2 community* Okay, maybe I can believe it :(

zam

ThirstyFly said:
I wish people didn't bother in MW2, but the Fuel glitch is so common when I play. I think it's more annoying when your teammates are hiding in that damn rock during objective modes instead of helping you with the objective.

Like, I've had matches in Demolition where we were trying to plant the bomb, and 2 "teammates" would instantly glitch inside the rock. Idiots don't realize that they're both fighting over the same random kills that happen to wonder by the rock - so they're cannibalizing each other and they're not going to kill anyone anyway since the defenders have absolutely no reason to be in that area at all. And they're sure as hell not helping plant the bombs so there's no way we're going to win when we're 2 men down like that.

I simply can't believe how common that scenario is either. *imagines the MW2 community* Okay, maybe I can believe it :(
The best thing to do is to just avoid that area. We play mostly demolition so there isn't really anything of value there (unless you are gonna make the world's biggest flank), so when we find out there is someone glitching out there we just avoid the area completely. That way he can sit inside a rock the whole match and get 0 kills

kuYuri

ThirstyFly said:

Yep, sometimes MW2 is really full of some selfish jerks. I called in a Care Package on Terminal once and around that moment, one or two guys came around the corner. I did my best to kill him before he kills me and steals my package. The messed up thing was, a nearby teammate decides to attempt to take my package rather than help me take the enemy down. In the end, I had to disengage from the fight to grab my package before my teammate took it. A bit later, I called in another CP on the same spot, but I get flashbanged around the time it lands, so before I could recover to grab it, another random teammate steals it just like that.

That's just two examples that I remember from my last sessions, but seriously, what is up with teammates trying to take my care package? I earned that shit you fucks, go get your own.

I just ran across a lobby on 360 where my gun did 0 damage, no hit markers, nothing, and I had a slither of health at all times, oh and the mag was always full so i'd never need to reload. Just a heads up in case it's a new glitch or something.

This game can bring out traits in friends that you didn't see before. So I start playing with a mate of mine, he's okay, I'm not a great player by any stretch of the imagination but I tend to do better than him since i've played for longer. I really couldn't give a shit about the score I just enjoy playing with him in a team, it's a fucking game, but he just starts rage quitting and starts up with sarky comments, it's quite funny actually. One time he rage quit as host during my chopper gunner (i mean come on!) and then claimed the game 'kicked him out' :lol I can imagine him seething as he sat there with the scoreboard on full display as the blocks were transfering. I don't get it.

Gave the game back today and hit 1 bar away from 39, not bad from starting the other day at level 13 :D

The worst thing I bumped into over the last 2 days has to be people who aim at the sky with a noob tube and land it on capture points or spawns, that shit is as annoying as the early cod days of throwing grenades over the walls and houses at spawn, fuck that shit.

Hopefully black ops has sorted out that problem and either removed noob tubes or made them only as separate weapons instead of attachments, at least then it helps the weapon balance a tiny bit.

Oh and earlier today a harrier used flares when I shot at it, first time i've seen it happen.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Man I haven't played in nearly two weeks and I won't be home at all this weekend to play. Hopefully I won't have to work tomorrow night so I can play all night.

zam said:
The best thing to do is to just avoid that area. We play mostly demolition so there isn't really anything of value there (unless you are gonna make the world's biggest flank), so when we find out there is someone glitching out there we just avoid the area completely. That way he can sit inside a rock the whole match and get 0 kills

Yeah, but that doesn't really help when it's your teammates that are the ones in there getting 0 kills for your team. That's what I have the biggest issue with. They're just sitting in there being useless to everyone, including themselves. And you sure as hell wouldn't need more than one person in there at a time even if it was a useful glitch. Sometimes people just play this game so stupidly I can only sit and stare in shock.

They could at least just sit in a corner and defend our objective if they want to play it safe. But no, they gotta go that extra a-hole mile and do no good at all.

I've touched on this before, but switching between all three of the latest CoD's today really makes it clear how different the communities are.

MW2 - very mixed, a match will have both "tryhards" and casual players who just fuck around. Seems to be the most relaxed crowd.
CoD4 - mostly "tryhards," and an insane amount of quickscoping montage players who want every single kill to be ridiculously spectacular or it's not worth getting.
WaW - all the people who are too scared of the crowd in the other games, seriously! This is where everybody who can't keep up in the others go to camp in a corner, terrified of what might come running around it. :lol

ThirstyFly said:
They could at least just sit in a corner and defend our objective if they want to play it safe. But no, they gotta go that extra a-hole mile and do no good at all.
Yeah, like I posted earlier today, winning went out of style somewhere along the line. If you ask one of these little brats what the hell they're doing, you'll get a response that goes something like "lulz only nubz cap flags." The cool thing to do nowadays is to ignore the game rules, selfishly ruin everybody else's fun and try for montage clips even though you don't even own a capturing device! Keep up, old man!

Honestly though, this pisses me off more when it's someone on the other team than if it's someone on mine. That guy camping a corner waaay off the objective and in a spot you really shouldn't even have to check in an objective-based match, or that fucker who just runs straight to your spawn every time he spawns and never does nothing else ever, is a bigger bastard to me than the guy who never caps any flags for your team. At least the camper on my team can't ruin my killstreak. :lol

I have to post these videos, they have some of the best clips I've seen in a minute!

Top 10 noobtube kills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3gkZh1r8E

Not the most popular subject for a top 10, and it starts out really lame, but it really picks up from the middle on. #6 is one of the most hilarious situations I've ever seen in MW2 and #1 is just fucking insane - he gets a triple-kill direct impact with three bounces off walls! WTF?!

Minitage #16 by BocaOnee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h5kKCB8Dj0

Also starts out slow but has some truly beastly shit later on - the triple kill with one deagle bullet (yes!) is fucking insane, and I love the clip from Crash where he takes dudes out with one bullet each. That's skill...and that perfect connection that I never get. :/

zam

I love the bullshitting going on in the previous two posts:

1 out of 100 games of CoD is laggy? :lol :lol
You have to buy the Collector's edition to get the lag free version of CoD. If you buy the Prestige edition you don't run into any noob-tubers or campers as well.

zam said:
You have to buy the Collector's edition to get the lag free version of CoD. If you buy the Prestige edition you don't run into any noob-tubers or campers as well.

If true, I would buy the Prestige edition.

How sad is that.

divisionbyzorro said:
If true, I would buy the Prestige edition.

How sad is that.
I would too! :lol

Seriously though, is that really Treyarch's official company line on the lag issue? That CoD is fine and they don't have to put in any extra effort? That's such a bad sign for BO - WaW is easily the laggiest FPS I've ever played. :(

Seriously though, is that really Treyarch's official company line on the lag issue? That CoD is fine and they don't have to put in any extra effort? That's such a bad sign for BO - WaW is easily the laggiest FPS I've ever played. :(

I think the official line is that host selection is more important than dedicated servers.

While that's not true, it's certainly vastly cheaper.

Had one of the dumbest matches today on Crash. It felt like I was alone in that team:

img_05896uym.jpg

Crushed the dreams of a poor sod the other day :(

He had an AC130 and said "YES ! AC130 FINALLY !", just as i killed a guy who called in a care package......

....which was an EMP :lol He didnt fire off 1 shot from that AC130 :D

WAW really? Compared to MW2s built in "get shot past a wall" lag? I don't know about you but I don't encounter that kind of lag in waw and cod4 as much as I see it in mw2. Oh well.

:lol at the dude we just played against. He was being an objective-ignoring, camping and noobtubing whore for like four matches straight - in match #5, I guess I buzzkilled him and he was raging the fuck out in the intermission and calling me a whore and a pussy and whatnot. What did I kill him with? A PP2000 with red dot! Yes, clearly a much whorier thing to do than camp with a noobtube. :lol :lol

ThirstyFly said:

The way I see it the heat vent things which keep the harrier stable in one spot (that have fire coming out of them) mess up the heat seeking, its a long shot but they may have programmed that in.

Ogs said:
Crushed the dreams of a poor sod the other day :(

He had an AC130 and said "YES ! AC130 FINALLY !", just as i killed a guy who called in a care package......

....which was an EMP :lol He didnt fire off 1 shot from that AC130 :D
I never get EMPs in care packages. It's seriously starting to bug me. All I get is ammo crates or a precision airstrike if I get lucky.

whitehawk

Banned
Koroshi said:
I never get EMPs in care packages. It's seriously starting to bug me. All I get is ammo crates or a precision airstrike if I get lucky.
I've gotten like 3 or 4 EMPs in care packages, but I always have care package equipped. Also, they need to get rid of Ammo, it's so stupid. At the very least give me a UAV. Come on...

DoomGyver

For me, care packages go like this:

5 ammo
1 pred missile
2 air strikes
5 ammo
2 pred missile
1 attack helicopter
5 ammo
AC 130
CHOPPER GUNNER
AC 130
attack heli
EMP
CHOPPER GUNNER
5 ammo

and so on.

Xux

Here's what Vahn had to say:

http://callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=251142&p=2949278#p2949278

Hi,

Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_server

Call of Duty 1, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty: Big Red One, Modern Warfare 1, World at War, Modern Warfare 2, and Black Ops are all Listen Servers (for consoles) and not Peer to Peer topologies.

The only truly peer to peer game (using a literal definition) in the franchise was Call of Duty 3.

This can never be "fixed" because of this little thing called the "Internet" and how it works.

What we can and try to do is:

-minimize the upstream bandwidth required to play
-use the best networking prediction we can
-continue to have the Local Search only option
-improve the algorithm for how we choose the host
-continue to work with Microsoft on how they do Matchmaking

...among other things.

The common assumption that Dedicated Servers (instead of Listen Servers) will somehow solve all problems is not accurate. It's grossly over-stated as a cure-all. It causes new and different problems.

What many people don't understand is that (on the 360) you have to bounce and authentic all "Live" traffic through what is known as the xLSP gateway/proxy. In the simplest sense, it's a type of Virtual Private Network (VPN) between us and Microsoft.

All of the World at War stat servers (for example) run behind one. So does the infastucture telling you how may players are online; or the machine you get the Playlist from (etc, etc).

Reporting stats to a database server is one thing; sending game traffic through the gateway/proxy is an entirely different beast which will increase latency.

xLSP has policy guidelines and restrictions. The bottom line is that it both lets us offer a lot of stuff to you that Live itself doesn't offer (or has made generic to work with "any game" whereas we want to do something that works awesome for Call of Duty), but it doesn't exactly give us complete flexibility to do whatever we want either.

In Summary:

The game is not Peer to Peer.

Listen Servers, Dedicated Servers, and Peer to Peer games can never be truly "fixed." They can just be designed and developed to work better on the Internet.

Dedicated servers (for consoles) are not a cure-all.

We are MP developers and gamers, thus aware of what it is like to play MP games on the Internet. Including this one.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

Compilation of Vahn's posts if you wanna read it; missing some context but it should be easy to guess what he's talking about:

http://callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=255961&sid=3345abbd4df8985655400f6071fc011b

Xux said:

Saying that a "Listen Server" is not peer-to-peer is really just semantics:

From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
Listen server refers to a situation in which the server typically runs in the same process as the game client, allowing a player to both host and participate in the game. As a side effect, the server is usually terminated when the client is. Listen servers are operated mostly by individuals, often in LAN Party situations rather than over the Internet, and usually with a lower number of players due to the increased processing and bandwidth requirements associated with operating both server and client simultaneously on the same machine.

The reason this technically doesn't qualify as peer to peer has to do with the structure of the in-game network. As we all know, all players in MW2 communicate to the same host. In a traditional peer-to-peer network, you connect to numerous people in the network who are "close" to you, and everybody just trades information back and forth. This is inefficient for gaming, where you are trading lots of tiny packets back and forth, but very efficient for file sharing, where you are trading a few large objects back and forth.

The Listen Server system is still a peer-to-peer system, in the sense that all computers involved are peers; they are all participants in the game. Now, a Listen Server structure could be just as good as a Dedicated Server structure, if the person hosting the listen server had a powerful machine. The only reason people worship dedicated servers is because the machines are often incredibly powerful and have great internet connections as opposed to the normal person's crappy little compy.

VALKYRAY

Banned
whitehawk said:
I've gotten like 3 or 4 EMPs in care packages, but I always have care package equipped. Also, they need to get rid of Ammo, it's so stupid. At the very least give me a UAV. Come on...
do you win all the time on slotmachines?

USD

Wait... so people actually charge for tenth prestige lobbies? :lol I've gotten plenty of random "message to all recent players" about the lobbies, but this guy was charging $15 on PayPal to join. 15 bucks for some shitty titles and icons? Blows me away.

Top Bottom