• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Hellion said:
So this week I decided to get back into MW2, After playing a couple hours I come check this thread to see whats new in the community and I find out about "Boosters". It was strange players getting nukes with 26 kill streaks during my playtime.

Just last night I got a random message asking me if I wanted to boost?... is this normal in MW2 now?
Yeah, pretty much. You'll get random messages from time to time, especially if you're on the 360.

tsigo

Finally finished The Flash IV Prestige challenge. Fuck flashbangs, they're so horrible. Slower to throw, slower to go off and less effective than Stun grenades. Weeeeeeee! But at least now I never have to use them again.

Kujo

I'm on the 360 version, I pretty much get 1-2 messages a day from people asking to join their 10th Prestige lobby for MS points/Paypal. Also got a message the other day from what sounded like a desperate 10 year old asking anyone on their recent players list if they could join their 10P lobby for free since they can't afford to pay, lol...

What annoys me more, is that whenever a P10 joins a match, they almost always suck. All these people boosting for levels/nukes/headshots, I mean what's the point? For the emblems/titles? What good are they if you didn't earn them. Same with the leaderboard, I've passed the 7mil mark in score and I'm just surrounded by people who've modded. So your rank is just kinda useless now.

tsigo said:
Finally finished The Flash IV Prestige challenge. Fuck flashbangs, they're so horrible. Slower to throw, slower to go off and less effective than Stun grenades. Weeeeeeee! But at least now I never have to use them again.
I agree, I was alternating between stun and flash nades to get those two challenges, and I hated using the flash, no longer on any of my classes.

tsigo said:

Stun>Flash

always

Mojo said:
I'm on the 360 version, I pretty much get 1-2 messages a day from people asking to join their 10th Prestige lobby for MS points/Paypal. Also got a message the other day from what sounded like a desperate 10 year old asking anyone on their recent players list if they could join their 10P lobby for free since they can't afford to pay, lol...

What annoys me more, is that whenever a P10 joins a match, they almost always suck. All these people boosting for levels/nukes/headshots, I mean what's the point? For the emblems/titles? What good are they if you didn't earn them. Same with the leaderboard, I've passed the 7mil mark in score and I'm just surrounded by people who've modded. So your rank is just kinda useless now.

I agree, I was alternating between stun and flash nades to get those two challenges, and I hated using the flash, no longer on any of my classes.
Add me, bro. I'm always looking to play with good players.

GT: XxTACTxJEEZYxX [yea, im changing it soon lol]

And agreed on the stun/flash debate. I put flash nades on all my classes just for that stupid challenge. Now it's all stuns across the board, :lol :lol :lol

Stillmatic

Roxas said:
Surely your all in on this? There's some sections where there are 4-5 guys doing the boosting in the middle of a map? :\ not exactly where you would go to boost.
Na, not at all, i wouldn't waste my time. All of the games were randomly joined through matchmaking, apart from a couple where i joined on a friend after he'd told me he had some boosters in his lobby shitting up his game.

Like Lionheart mentioned, it happens a lot, some of them are extremely dumb. Usually when they're in the middle of a map it's because i've joined a game with 5 or so boosters in there already, they'll see me join and tell me not to kill them because apparently it's a booster lobby, and either find a partner and boost or leave. If only they could see my class setups... :p

In barebones pro when there are boosters in the lobby they usually vote to skip when a TDM game comes up in the rotation, the odd occasion the map after is still a TDM game instead of FFA, they either leave, play it as normal, or try to boost anyway. Sometimes they don't even vote to skip TDM, the game loads then you hear one of them over the mic saying to leave because it's TDM. :lol

FFA = Boosting for nukes/killstreak challenges/titles
Barebones Pro (FFA + TDM) = Boosting for headshots/weapon related challenges/titles

RJNavarrete said:
GT: XxTACTxJEEZYxX [yea, im changing it soon lol]

No offence RJN but what the hell is up with all the X's in XXXXXxnicxxxxxknaxxxxxmeXxxxxs

some kind of uber straight edge deal I am not aware of? I insta-mute anyone with more than two Xs in their name

PetriP-TNT said:
No offence RJN but what the hell is up with all the X's in XXXXXxnicxxxxxknaxxxxxmeXxxxxs

some kind of uber straight edge deal I am not aware of? I insta-mute anyone with more than two Xs in their name
Meh, it was a clan thing, but I've moved on from them. :p

Also, time to gloat a bit:

TejgT.jpg

I promise we weren't boosting with that kid. He was just that horrible. :lol :lol :lol

P6Phm.jpg

Look at the score. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol [The top 7 players are my friends and I, btw.]

cdyhybrid

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Finally got a nuke (would have been #2 overall and first on my quest to get the emblem) but someone else on my team got it like two seconds before me so I couldn't call it in :(

sweetfish

Gold Member
God f-ing damn! I'm in my third prestige, have never even tried to aim for a Nuke, but I thought it was about time to give it a shot. I have come close to it a couple of times, but I always manage to die right around my 20th kill.

So this last round went pretty good, got my Pave Low (which however was worthless and didn't get any kills at all), and my heart beat is racing like crazy, when I run into 2 assholes/boosters. I think to myself, "Hey, I'm not letting him boost his way to Nuke before me." so I kill his compadre and happily skip my way out of their sight. His friend however, I guess, went berserk and chased me down and killed me right after my 11th kill. The game ended with the boosters getting a Nuke and me quietly swallowing my rage. :(

So, any tips to get that precious Nuke? My current setup;
M16A4 (with heartbeat) and AT4-HS
Claymore and Stun Granades
* Scavanger Pro
* Stopping Power Pro
* SitRep
(* Final Stand)
Pave Low -> Chopper Gunner -> Tactical Nuke

I usually play in Hardcore Mosh Pit, so I have the chance of getting into a Domination game.

aku:jiki

sweetfish said:
God f-ing damn! I'm in my third prestige, have never even tried to aim for a Nuke, but I thought it was about time to give it a shot. I have come close to it a couple of times, but I always manage to die right around my 20th kill.
I'd change a number of things about your approach to it if I was trying to nuke in your position...

- Pave Low is a pretty cocky way to start your streak; 2 more kills than a Harrier, but does not guarantee that much more of a killing spree. I'd lower the setup to 7-11-25.
- Skip the heartbeat sensor in favor of a better attachment. Holographic sight on M16 ups its accuracy, making it a much deadlier weapon. Check it out.
- Switch out your AT4 for a secondary that may actually be useful for long streaks! Shotguns being highly recommended - I'd say you should be able to do well with a Striker.
- I'd skip SitRep - it's a fantastic perk, but it's more for rushers than for defensive players, and if you want to nuke, you're gonna have to hang back a lot. (But don't camp, that'll just get you buzzkilled by players like me.)
- I wouldn't bother in HC modes. Too many campers and too easy to get killed by some bullshit perk or attachment.
- Using a weapon that doesn't "require" stopping power (nothing does, but for example an M16 is much easier to use with SP on) so you can run with ColdBlooded and not have to care about UAV's and air support can be a good idea. The TAR with CB works well for me.
- Oh, and... Not sure why you ran away from booster #2? Kill him too, fool! :lol

sweetfish

Gold Member
aku:jiki said:
I'd change a number of things about your approach to it if I was trying to nuke in your position...

- Pave Low is a pretty cocky way to start your streak; 2 more kills than a Harrier, but does not guarantee that much more of a killing spree. I'd lower the setup to 7-11-25.
- Skip the heartbeat sensor in favor of a better attachment. Holographic sight on M16 ups its accuracy, making it a much deadlier weapon. Check it out.
- Switch out your AT4 for a secondary that may actually be useful for long streaks! Shotguns being highly recommended - I'd say you should be able to do well with a Striker.
- I'd skip SitRep - it's a fantastic perk, but it's more for rushers than for defensive players, and if you want to nuke, you're gonna have to hang back a lot. (But don't camp, that'll just get you buzzkilled by players like me.)
- I wouldn't bother in HC modes. Too many campers and too easy to get killed by some bullshit perk or attachment.
- Using a weapon that doesn't "require" stopping power (nothing does, but for example an M16 is much easier to use with SP on) so you can run with ColdBlooded and not have to care about UAV's and air support can be a good idea. The TAR with CB works well for me.
- Oh, and... Not sure why you ran away from booster #2? Kill him too, fool! :lol

Thanks, great advice! Didn't know that holographic sight actually improved accuracy, just thought the different sights where there for eye candy (at least I thought there couldn't be any difference between red dot and holographic). I'll give the TAR and CB a try! I guess the accuracy thing also applies to holographic on TAR, and not only M16?

Also, I hate going from HC to regular mode. Why aren't all modes HC? :p

And, I wish I could have killed the other booster, but since I was playing in HC: HQ Pro ricochet damage was on. :(

mr_boo

sweetfish said:
Thanks, great advice! Didn't know that holographic sight actually improved accuracy, just thought the different sights where there for eye candy (at least I thought there couldn't be any difference between red dot and holographic). I'll give the TAR and CB a try! I guess the accuracy thing also applies to holographic on TAR, and not only M16?

Also, I hate going from HC to regular mode. Why aren't all modes HC? :p

And, I wish I could have killed the other booster, but since I was playing in HC: HQ Pro ricochet damage was on. :(
It's a funny side effect that uniquely impacts the M16 only in respect to accuracy. The Holo Sight also impacts the FAL as a well, up'ing it's minimum damage to 40 (rather than 35). Other than those two instances, I don't recall if there's any other cases where the Holo Sight differs from the RDS.

mr_boo said:
It's a funny side effect that uniquely impacts the M16 only in respect to accuracy. The Holo Sight also impacts the FAL as a well, up'ing it's minimum damage to 40 (rather than 35). Other than those two instances, I don't recall if there's any other cases where the Holo Sight differs from the RDS.

Did they fix that issue where if you pop a holo on the FAL it shoots off target or something? I remember reading about that months ago but haven't used the FAL with a Holo since then(dont really use the FAL anyway).

I had a hilarious match on Skidrow in Barebones Pro last night. I was playing with a bunch of randoms and there were 3 or 4 clan guys on the opposing team along with randoms (I'm assuming since they didn't have the clan tag) filling out the rest of their team.

The clan guys were using Riot Shields with Blast Shield and traveling in a pack. If you were indoors they'd toss a stun grenade in first and then all swoop in and try to whack you to death while stunned. There was at least one other player on their team that started to use those guys to his advantage and he'd stay right behind them for cover while he tried to kill you.

It was pretty funny and a nice change of pace from the Light Weight + Spas-12/Akimbo Rangers bullshit you're usually flooded with on that map. I guess my teammates were having some trouble with them though, as it was a pretty close/intense match. We were behind for a bit but pulled out a win.

I never saw anything like that before and had to change up my approach to the map. I definitely had a lot of fun in that one though and ended up with the top score on my team (I believe it was 29 kills/10 deaths). The guy that was hiding behind the wall of Riot Shield dudes the entire match ended up with the highest score (30 kills but I think around 27 deaths).

I wish more people tried different things like to give the game a little more variety - but I guess they're too busy circle jerking to their Spas-12 spamming and Intervention Quick Scoping Youtube videos.

mr_boo

Lionheart1827 said:
Did they fix that issue where if you pop a holo on the FAL it shoots off target or something? I remember reading about that months ago but haven't used the FAL with a Holo since then(dont really use the FAL anyway).
I don't know to be honest...I wasn't aware of such an issue. From my personal experience, and I'm a heavy FAL user (by far my favorite weapon), I've haven't had any accuracy issues at all with a Holo Sight'ed FAL, although I haven't used the FAL in about a week (currently level'ing up other guns for kicks).

aku:jiki

sweetfish said:
I guess the accuracy thing also applies to holographic on TAR, and not only M16?
Like boo already posted, the Holo thing only applies to M16 and FAL. Who knows why! :lol

sweetfish said:
Doh, of course! I should've known that... :lol Though I never find boosters like you guys do! Sometimes I'll watch a video like the ones posted in here lately and get real excited to go mess with some boosters and all I can find are legit games...

Wait, why am I complaining about not running into cheaters? :lol :lol

Lionheart1827 said:
Did they fix that issue where if you pop a holo on the FAL it shoots off target or something?
I think the issue is still unfixed - though it's with the RDS, not the Holo. I wish they'd fix it, I'd much prefer RDS over Holo on FAL...

mr_boo

aku:jiki said:
I think the issue is still unfixed - though it's with the RDS, not the Holo. I wish they'd fix it, I'd much prefer RDS over Holo on FAL...
Ah, that's right...I vaguely recall RDS issues with the FAL (long time ago, I think). I'm opposite aku to a greater extent...I much prefer Holo over RDS on all guns.

When I have lightweight equipped, does sprinting AND walking count towards the perk challenge? Or is it only walking? Or is it only sprinting?

Also, do you sprint faster with Lightweight? Or does it only boost walking speed?

kuYuri

Lionheart1827 said:

Nope, it hasn't been fixed. There are supposed to be a few other weapons as well with messed up sights, like the iron sights on MG4.

Lionheart1827 said:
That's the red-dot sight, not the holographic sight.

Decided i'd get back into this as i'm bored as fuck. Is there still people glitching/boosting all the time ? Is there still people running around dual wielding akimbo shotguns and no-scoping you from a mile away ? If so what are the best modes to avoid the dicks ?

One thing that i think would improve the game no end is a consistant rank, ie you get weapons and stuff over time, but your rank is shown by how you do each match, ie it goes down when you play shit and up when you play well, and there would be rewards for that aswell.

I just got back into this myself, and I'll be honest, it's hit and miss. There are nights where you can't get away from people quickscoping Interventions, dual-Rangers, OMA tubers, MLC runners, etc., and other nights, I dont see them at all (playing MTDM, Domination, and Demolition).

Last night showcased how this game is so weird. Had two games, back to back, MTDM, same lobby. First game, went 3-15. Felt like I had no control over anything, just spawning and getting tagged instantly, nothing at all going right. Next, 23-0, world was mine, I was king. After 6 days of play time, I still cant honestly answer if Im good at this game or not. :lol

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
new gaming PC on the way. Picking this up even though I already own it for 360 and PS3...

TheApatheticOne said:
Last night showcased how this game is so weird. Had two games, back to back, MTDM, same lobby. First game, went 3-15. Felt like I had no control over anything, just spawning and getting tagged instantly, nothing at all going right. Next, 23-0, world was mine, I was king. After 6 days of play time, I still cant honestly answer if Im good at this game or not. :lol
This is how I feel sometimes too. Most of my bad games anymore are not because I play wrong or bad, but because I just can't control the game or get an 'angle' on anyone. I'm always shot in the back or run into campers and other miscilaneous crap.

Critical Jeff said:
This is how I feel sometimes too. Most of my bad games anymore are not because I play wrong or bad, but because I just can't control the game or get an 'angle' on anyone. I'm always shot in the back or run into campers and other miscilaneous crap.
this. after you get to certain level in this game, skill stops meaning anything. You can have obtained 22 nukes but you can still play a round with 8-13 stats because you just happened to end up on a team that sucks.

That's why there should be skill based servers... like in ET, everyone knew that Efterlyst, for example, was the server where the most skilled players liked to play if they wanted to play public matches but even med- gamers had a chance to play there. Sure, there is no competive scene on MW2 and I don't miss it either but matchmaking doesn't allow skilled players to play against other skilled players.

Critical Jeff said:
That is why the only time this game goes in is when friends come over. I can't play it anymore...

The last time I played MW2 was on the steam free weekend at the beginning of the year, since yesterday afternoon I have my friend's 360 version which i'll give back to him tomorrow but some stuff I have noticed:

Players are getting better on the 360, last time I played the console version I was able to do quite well, now not so much :lol

Already had a few messages and voice mails about 10th for £10 and all that shit, I reported them but I doubt anything will happen.

It sucks being only (at this moment) level 30, most of the good gear is locked and I feel like i'm running around with a sucky gun, need to keep leveling.

More people on the 360 seem to noob tube at every possible moment, I think 1/3 of my deaths are from those things.

On the pc I found that most players were good but it felt slower like the pace everyone took was less hectic, on the 360 everyone is sprinting and my god the noob tube users are coming out of the wood work :lol the game would be so much better if people relied on bullets more then explosives.

I've just this past week started playing again on 360, and maybe it's because I only play TDM express, but I have had no issues with people cheesing it out and tube spamming, quickscoping, spas running, etc. The game feels like it actually plays like a shooter now, where a couple months ago it was a god forsaken shit hole of explosions and knives and nonsense. Sure, there might be one guy knife running or a guy camping a corner with his scavenged claymores, but on the whole I am really impressed with how much better the game is. Just started my fifth prestige today, I stopped playing at my fourth prestige around 60 or so a couple months back and its taken me a couple days to finish it off. Have to rely on predators and harriers to handle enemy air support for another couple hours, but it'll be all good soon.

If anybody wants another 360 player, add NuB Pyke Presco to your friends list. All of my old crowd has gotten rid of the game. (Or add Pyke Presco on PS3, and if I ever bother to turn it on I'll play with you there too, but no mic)

sweetfish

Gold Member
Phew! Managed to get a Nuke in a Hardcore: Demolition match. Felt like an asshole though, just playing so defensively the whole time... But, got it out of my system at least. :)

Although, thought that I at least should have gotten some title or emblem, but I got nada. Do I have to pull it off more than once, or in some special situation to earn something?

sweetfish said:
Although, thought that I at least should have gotten some title or emblem, but I got nada. Do I have to pull it off more than once, or in some special situation to earn something?
You get emblems for 2/5/10 nukes and 1 title if you use the nuke while your team is losing

Nizz

Critical Jeff said:
The worst is when you're in someone else's peripheral vision and you never saw it coming. You round a corner, saw no one there and a split second later you're dead. When you watch the killcam, just as you rounded that corner/alley/street someone was just coming up towards that way and catch you.

I haven't been playing this game much since I don't have the Resurgence map pack and it seems a lot harder to get into games with good ping. I'll search for a MTDM match and I'll be set to leave the lobby if it gets to 100ms and still not matched up.

I guess I should dig in and get the map pack, if only to get matched up to more people with better connections.

Are they EVER going to fix that fucking glitch where the Stinger missile magically misses the Harrier despite clearly "locking-on" to it? There's a lot of things about this game that makes me rage, but none harder than this.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Are they EVER going to fix that fucking glitch where the Stinger missile magically misses the Harrier despite clearly "locking-on" to it? There's a lot of things about this game that makes me rage, but none harder than this.
That's not a glitch though.

PetriP-TNT said:
That's not a glitch though.

It's absolutely a glitch. The Harrier is the ONLY thing that fucks up a missile without any visible flares eminating from the plane. It's always supposed to destroy it in one hit.

AnEternalEnigma said:
It's not a glitch. In one of the patches, they added flares to the Harrier since it was so easy to destroy. You can now only destroy it with one missile if you're directly under it.

kuYuri

AnEternalEnigma said:

Best workaround is when you have a lock-on, quickly move your sights away from the harrier and fire the missile immediately as you move it away. 99% of the time, it doesn't miss that way.

USD

Stinger misses are incredibly annoying. The best way to ensure a kill on a Harrier to either shoot just as it flies onto the map (you should be starting your lock-on before it even stops) or to watch it and wait for it to completely stop. It does baffle me that the subtle movements of the Harrier allow it to dodge missiles but I almost never miss against choppers.
Koroshi said:
It's not a glitch. In one of the patches, they added flares to the Harrier since it was so easy to destroy. You can now only destroy it with one missile if you're directly under it.
Unless this is some incredibly recent patch (as in the last month, haven't been playing for a while), Harriers do not have flares.

Just got back into this recently too. Playing a free-for-all with boosters is AWESOME. Find out where they're hanging out, set insertion point, flash bang, sweep up kills. :lol Listening to the high pitched whines is the icing on the cake. And the new playmodes without the killstreak perks are wonderful.

TimeLike

Koroshi said:

I dont think Harriers have flares. It's a glitch. Sometimes even when multiple people are shooting stingers at it, you can have three or four stingers pass right through the body of the harrier. It's just another terd on the pile.

TimeLike said:
I dont think Harriers have flares. It's a glitch. Sometimes even when multiple people are shooting stingers at it, you can have three or four stingers pass right through the body of the harrier. It's just another terd on the pile.
I read it on Robert Bowling's Twitter, so it can't be false.

divisionbyzorro said:
Umm...and you have proof of this?
Not really, but I guess IW just put it so it Harriers wouldn't be brought down in the first few seconds it arrives... maybe they should add the flare effects or something or something :p

Xux

Diablohead said:
It sucks being only (at this moment) level 30, most of the good gear is locked and I feel like i'm running around with a sucky gun, need to keep leveling.

wut the M4, FAMAS, SCAR, TAR, UMP, Vector, P90, RPD, and MG4 are perfectly fine guns. Aside from the ACR in some situations, none of the guns you haven't unlocked have much over what you have now.

Top Bottom