• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Mik2121

Fugu said:
What? I've only made two posts in this topic, and the other was asking whether or not shotguns were primaries. What is this assumption based off of?

I would be happy to explain my problem with the gunplay.

The removal of stopping power has caused them to necessarily balance guns in a way that encourages rock-paper-scissors type weapon selection that prevents gunplay from being a viable method of play in diverse environments. Specifically, the variance between gun damage (from one shot for close-range headshots for all snipers and the M14K to five shots for basically every SMG at range) makes it difficult to beat a player who has made the correct gun choice for the specific scenario presented. It makes it more difficult to be successful as an individual as the odds are more heavily stacked against you than they were before if you were using stopping power (even SMGs would kill in 3-4 at max range with stopping power). It also completely destroys the balance of SMGs and LMGs; LMGs were balanced by their ability to kill in two hits anywhere with stopping power. SMGs were balanced by their ability to reward a skilled player at a distance, particularly when coupled with a silencer. Assault rifles are ultra-viable, and single shot assault rifles make sniper rifles entirely redundant in this format. The presence of the one hit kill outside of sniper rifles also has ridiculous rammifications towards the depth of firefights, as a player with the M14 can end a firefight instantly with one well-placed shot without the consequences of using a sniper rifle as a primary weapon (the M14 does not have a hostile spread nor does it have particularly bad recoil).

In short, the game should never require you to take five shots to kill someone unless you are shooting through a surface, nor should it ever allow you to kill a player in one shot without having to undertake serious drawbacks. That both exist simultaneously is particularly ridiculous.

I really, truly love CoD4 and I didn't hate MW2 (it wrapped the solid gunplay of CoD4 in a burrito of stupid). I didn't buy this game just to shit on it; it's doing a pretty good job of accomplishing that itself.
Uhm, fair enough. I will have to play this game myself, hopefully by Thursday evening.

I'm sorry I labeled you such thing. It was my bad. Thanks for the impressions! :)

CozMick said:
It looks 10x better than Black Ops!
Cool!. While I don't think Black Ops looked great, I think it looked better than what most people say. Even with that lower resolution. So I will probably have no issues with MW3's visuals.

BTW, I'm a 3D environment artist so I work on this stuff all the time. It's not like I'm blind, but I guess because I know how easy/hard is to achieve certain stuff, I can appreciate visuals like these :p

Adamm

Is there a care package glitch with this game or something?

I was just in a game & for the last 3/4 minutes there was just constantly new helicopter UAV's AUAV's being launched. There was a few of us shooting them down, but they kept getting new ones.

& no one in the other team had a decent score (all around even K:D ratio) so it wasnt like one person was getting kill streaks.

Unless everyone just saved them up :(

CozMick

Banned
Full Metal Jacket said:
So, how fast are mw2 players adapting to 3.

Pretty good tbh, The inclusion of a rds from the get go helped and my kdr is sitting at a steady 2.21.

Still think I spend too much time looking for players...before actually finding one.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i think it looks the same if not a bit better than mw2, and i played that 2 days ago, dont see the big deal here.

its not like cod was ever about the gfx for me

RedSwirl

Reading some bad PC news but I don't know if it's old.

All servers are unranked. You can't level up and unlock things by playing on servers, only P2P (edit: the word they use is "public". Could mean IW's own servers?) . All unlocks on servers are controlled by whoever's running the server.

Still no lean.

Also, something about FOV locked at 60 and framerate locked at 85. Last part sounds strange to me since all previous games let you Vsync to your refresh rate.

Possible good PC news: I don't know if the console version has SSAO but apparently PC does.

legbone

Trojita said:
Looks like this game has all the problems I hated about Black Ops. I'll pass on this.

what are those?

i just ordered black ops for $33 bucks last week and am currently thinking of picking this up while waiting for skyrim since my black ops has gone on some screwy mail mission and may not make it to me for another week. what are the issues?

Radec

Aaaaannd I'm done for the night.

Went from level 1 to 36 in like 3 1/2 hours. My head is killing me now though.

I hope I can bring my k/d to 3.0 before I prestige. 2.35 right now.

This is my setup:

Scar + Red Dot + Silencer
-
Hardline
Stalker
Sleight of Hand
-
Predator(4)
Kobra(6)
Pavelow(11) or Reaper(8)

Ground War.

jonezer4

Victrix said:
Literally the only problem we had is there's a stupid bug with party chat turning off in all game modes instead of S&D only, but that's about it.

That was intentional (albeit stupid) in MW2, right? I'm assuming it's the same for this?

RedSwirl

Concerning leveling up and servers, the word they use is "public". Could mean IW's own servers? I know that MW3 matchmaking actually matches you into a server instead of P2P. Anyone else know about this?

Victrix

*beard*
jonezer4 said:
That was intentional (albeit stupid) in MW2, right? I'm assuming it's the same for this?

Correct, but no, not the same for this, they fixed it so it's only for S&D (lobby even says so), but there's some bug turning it off in all modes right now

Jarate said:
Overall, The game is very good, but it feels almost like a really well done Cod 4 mod then anything else

You can say the same thing about almost every sequel this generation... Why is CoD always singled out in this regard? What do you guys expect from sequels? Should every sequel be like Red Steel 2 in that it is a complete divergence from its precursor?

legbone

LifEndz said:
Played four matches or so and the lag is pretty bad so far.

damn, not what i wanted to hear. are you on 360 or ps3? wired or wireless? i thought this had dedicated servers. of course with 5 million or more people playing i guess dedicated servers don't mean anything if your netcode is shit.

Miggytronz

legbone said:
damn, not what i wanted to hear. are you on 360 or ps3? wired or wireless? i thought this had dedicated servers. of course with 5 million or more people playing i guess dedicated servers don't mean anything if your netcode is shit.

No dedi's on console. P2P.

Dev said it would cost too much to Dedi console ports.

legbone said:
what are those?

i just ordered black ops for $33 bucks last week and am currently thinking of picking this up while waiting for skyrim since my black ops has gone on some screwy mail mission and may not make it to me for another week. what are the issues?

Except for some balance issues with perk (Sleight of Hands being imba) and troublesome FPS on PS3 version (although far from unplayable in any form), there really aren't that many problems. I'd like to have Prestige specific challanges, but other from that it's a very balanced online FPS with much less killstreak intensity than MW2.

Jangocube

Banned
Forsaken82 said:
You can say the same thing about almost every sequel this generation... Why is CoD always singled out in this regard? What do you guys expect from sequels? Should every sequel be like Red Steel 2 in that it is a complete divergence from its precursor?

Because CoD is the most popular game series at the moment, so it's the easiest to single out.

Radec

LifEndz said:
Played four matches or so and the lag is pretty bad so far.

Hmmn.. weird. I only experienced lag on my very first game.

Almost 3-4 bars every game after that.

And I only got 1mbps speed.

Fugu

RedSwirl said:
Reading some bad PC news but I don't know if it's old.

All servers are unranked. You can't level up and unlock things by playing on servers, only P2P (edit: the word they use is "public". Could mean IW's own servers?) . All unlocks on servers are controlled by whoever's running the server.

Still no lean.

Also, something about FOV locked at 60 and framerate locked at 85. Last part sounds strange to me since all previous games let you Vsync to your refresh rate.

Possible good PC news: I don't know if the console version has SSAO but apparently PC does.
All verifiably true except the 85FPS thing. I have a CRT and my refresh rate is 85Hz and it runs above that; I have Vsync off.

Brian Fellows said:
For me its not the campers that are the problem. Its the million different pathways in each level. I've never had this much trouble maneuvering maps in a COD game before. No matter where you are in a map there are just too damned many spots you have to check. Too many ways for people to get behind you. Too many places for people to see you from.

This has actually led to me camping more than I ever have before.

Oh christ Black Ops all over again. Let me guess, it's near impossible to snipe properly as every roost has like 3 entrances?

kendrid

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
How the fuck did they have any Hardened Editions left?
I went in an hours after the opened & they said they never even had any in the store.
All the regular edition 360 copies were snatched & there was one lone Ps3 copy on the shelves.

The wii copies of the game were untouched though.

My local Target, in a huge city, had two copies of Hardened left at 10am this morning.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
legbone said:
what are those?

Bad Spawning
Poor Level Design

That shit is inexcusable. The original Infinity Ward knew at least how to make a level without throwing shit everywhere.

Combat imbalances.

If they made noscoping even easier and accurate, fuck that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Fugu said:
The removal of stopping power has caused them to necessarily balance guns in a way that encourages rock-paper-scissors type weapon selection...

that actually sounds great to me. i always felt that from CoD4 -> MW2 -> BLOPs (the little i played of it) the weapons all became "samey" and hated that people could run around with smgs and be successful at range.

legbone

Mikasangelos said:
No dedi's on console. P2P.

Dev said it would cost too much to Dedi console ports.

thanks, didn't know that. appreciate it.

oh and thanks to trojita for the impressions. understandable complaints.

especially with regards to fools running and gunning with sniper rifles. i hate that shit.

RedSwirl

Fugu said:
All verifiably true except the 85FPS thing. I have a CRT and my refresh rate is 85Hz and it runs above that; I have Vsync off.
What about the SSAO thing? Seems strange for them to add graphical effects that aren't present on consoles. Previous COD games on PC just had textures one level cleaner than on console.

And are public games still played on servers?

Holy shit.

The difference in graphics between single-player and multiplayer is like night and day. Two totally different games.

I don't remember a gap like this since Rainbow Six Vegas in 2006, where the multiplayer basically looked like Rainbow Six 3 on the original xbox.

LifEndz

legbone said:

I'm on PS3 so that might be why. I'm wired and have a really good internet connection so it's not that. Right now I'm attributing it to launch day problems.

Also, for some reason when I hold down the button to sprint my gun is switching to the alt fire. Really weird because i've never had that happen in any COD game before. Right now I'm playing a loadout with no grenade launcher so it doesn't happen.

Card Boy

Banned
Any tweeks for the PC version yet? Can't seem to get the ~ console menu happening for the usual COD commands. Quote me for the new page.

Dexa

Banned
fraps working properly now - what a fucking great game!
91fps with standard settings - 70fps with image quality extra and high details.
blops is running like shit on my system (30 - 50 fps).

great work iw!

JB1981 said:
Crash is still the best CoD map ever
+1

The Antitype said:
Holy shit.

The difference in graphics between single-player and multiplayer is like night and day. Two totally different games.

I don't remember a gap like this since Rainbow Six Vegas in 2006, where the multiplayer basically looked like Rainbow Six 3 on the original xbox.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Doesn't bother me too much, but it would have been nice to have graphical parity across SP and MP.

Top Bottom