• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Fugu

My god, what a shiny pile of shit this is. It's like they took everything that made BLOPS' gunplay bad and combined it with the stupid aspects of MW2.

Well while those of us with jobs are waiting to play this tonight, maybe we can reminisce a bit.

Do you remember the first map you played in the last CoD games?

In Black Ops, the first map I ever played was Array. I liked it.

In MW2, first map I played was Quarry. I hated it because I was dying quickly and frequently. I have a feeling this is going to happen again tonight, based on what I'm hearing about how fast this game is.

That's why I preferred Black Ops to MW2. Don't care though, I'm ready to get back on the CoD treadmill again.

I never played WaW, and I have no idea what the first map I played in CoD4 was.

Miggytronz

Jrmint said:
Since we're talking GameStop midnight launch stories I'll add my own.

Worst organized midnight launch I've ever seen. I'd say there was 75 people max at mine and it too me an hour 45 to get my game. They did not have a separate line for those who already had their shit paid off, so all these people buying consoles, elite, etc held everyone else up.

Thanks a lot GS for giving no incentive to preorder or pay off early.

I swear if I'm ever filthy rich in buying that company and running it into the ground just out of spite. They just patronize the fuck out of our culture and bring out the absolute worst in it.

Yeah i must say people were pretty upset they had to reverify their purchase for a wrist band and get back in line.

At our store we had 3 lines by the nights end.

- line inside the store for people who hadnt gotten a wrist band and fully paid their game off.
- XBOX line
- PS3 line
- Next to PS3 line was a line/crowd to play he game early in Spec Ops mode on our PS3 display outside.

It was a cluster.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jeff-DSA said:
And 90% of them were wearing zip up hoodies, skinny jeans, and flat brimmed hats. At least that was the case at the midnight launch my my house. They all look the same, and I want to punch them all in the mouth.

And yes, they were mouthy and annoying.

I guess that was the upside to going to Best Buy for the release. It was a complete unorganized mess, but the crowd was much older and reserved. There is a Gamestop in the same center and looking at that crowd it was much younger. Alot of backwards baseball caps there.

In the end I remembered why I stopped doing the midnight thing. I get up there, stand in line, get the game and can't play more than 2 or 3 matches before I have to go to bed for work the next day. Amazon is the best route, especially if they are going to continue to give you credit for ordering games.

rmt92

Jrmint said:
Since we're talking GameStop midnight launch stories I'll add my own.

Worst organized midnight launch I've ever seen. I'd say there was 75 people max at mine and it too me an hour 45 to get my game. They did not have a separate line for those who already had their shit paid off, so all these people buying consoles, elite, etc held everyone else up.

Thanks a lot GS for giving no incentive to preorder or pay off early.

I swear if I'm ever filthy rich I'm buying that company and running it into the ground just out of spite. They just patronize the fuck out of our culture and bring out the absolute worst in it.

Wow. These horror stories. I went to a Gamestop, was number 111 in line and was out of there within 15 minutes. Go me.

Mik2121

Fugu said:
My god, what a shiny pile of shit this is. It's like they took everything that made BLOPS' gunplay bad and combined it with the stupid aspects of MW2.
And that would be...?

Because really, BLOPS gunplay feels right to me. Then again you seem to be one of those around here that just want to trash talk this game for the sake of it, and it most likely affects the way you see the game while playing it.

Have fun.

def sim

Brian Fellows said:
You'd think but footsteps really aren't very loud at all. I have a set of Turtle Beach headphones and people without Dead Silence are running up on me all the time.

Huh

This is starting to sound more and more like a Treyarch game.

nbraun80

One thing I don't understand is how intelligent and creative people can't come up with a decent spawn system. They've obviously quit trying, and I'm not just picking on mw3. It's just so frustrating watching the killcam, and watching me spawn right in front of a dude...

def sim

Mik2121 said:
You can't hear the steps in Black Ops?

This is starting to sound more and more like someone's deaf.

Oh I like the snark. That's real nice, being overly defensive over a game and all.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Fleet_of_Foot said:
Do you remember the first map you played in the last CoD games?

COD4 Bog
WaW: Airfield
MW2: Rundown
Black Ops: I don't remember. I think getting it early and running around all the maps in private matches while waiting for the servers to go up clouded my memory.

rance said:
Huh

This is starting to sound more and more like a Treyarch game.

I can hear the footsteps in Black Ops just fine.

Enordash

Fugu said:

Yea, at least explain in detail your issues with it. I'm so sick of the "it's bad because it's bad" type of talk when it comes to COD/BF/whatever.

Is it the competitive nature of these games that brings the "fanboy" out? Everyone is allowed to love games like Skyrim, Bioshock, Arkham City etc. No one will ever berate you for liking them. Why is it that everyone has to choose sides when it comes to shooters? I personally don't believe Halo, COD, CS, or Battlefield should ever deserve a 0/10 review, but go on Metacritic and you'll find them in spades.

def sim

Brian Fellows said:
I can hear the footsteps in Black Ops just fine.

Mind you, I only played the game for a month and we were all complaining about not hearing it at the time. Maybe it was patched?

I'm not feeling the maps. They are just too cramped and busy for my taste. I miss these more open maps like Overgrown. It just feels like I'm always running around in these narrow alleyways and tight spaces trying to find the enemy and as soon I manage to kill someone I'm shot from the back immediately. Well, I hated most of the MW2 maps in the beginning too so maybe I get adjusted to these as well later on.... I still wish there would have been more variety when it comes to map styles though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
rance said:
Mind you, I only played the game for a month and we were all complaining about not hearing it at the time. Maybe it was patched?

Yeah I think they might have.

Plus the game had already been out a couple of months when I got my headphones.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Things that bug me about Elite being down;

1. I want to start my clan
2. I want my double XP
3. I want to play with all the new features

It feels like I run so slow in this game and run out of breath, even with extreme conditioning 0_o , I'm using an smg too.

Hmmm I need to mix and match some perks

GillianSeed79 said:
The most embarrassing thing for me at the midnight launch I went to were grown ass men screaming "I got the game, I got the game!" and proceeding to drive 50 mph out of the strip mall parking lot honking their horns and screaming out the windows. I thought for sure at least one of the 14-year-olds camped out in front of the store was going to get hit.

Wow. Just wow. This is the kind of shit that makes gamers look bad.

Mik2121

rance said:
Oh I like the snark. That's real nice, being overly defensive over a game and all.
Overly defensive? The only time I've posted here defending the game has been now (this post) and the two above. And I'm not exactly defending it, but rather pointing out when some people just talk out their asses.

As for being snark, it was just a joke. But really, I have not had any problem with the sound in Black Ops. Nor the weapons, for the case.

As for MW3, I'm still waiting for it to be delivered to me (I live in JPN so I have to either import or wait until the 17th...) in two days, so I will be able to comment by then.

Also, and this is not related to you but I wanted to post it.. some people here is expecting BF3 out of a game that's the sequel of some of the best selling games, and they are obviously not going to change the basic gameplay now just so some of you can enjoy it and give up on the millions of fans that enjoy it the way it is.
I bought BF3 back when it got released.. two weeks ago? last week? whatever, I played through the campaign and it was alright to me (love the people that makes fun of the COD campaigns and then go back to play BF3's campaign though..), but I personally didn't like how it played and I didn't just go to the BF3 thread and talk about how much I disliked it because that alone is not enough to even have a discussion. It's just a waste of time for all of us.

Some people here should do the same..

Jarate

Banned
Things I like

-More customization of my weapons
-Large Emphasis on Gun on Gun gameplay
-Gun Play is still awesome
-There are a few pretty cool maps
-Different type of killstreaks means not as much shit in the air

Things I don't like
-Graphics are still muddy
-That new york themed map is a piece of shit
Some really douchey spots you can get too

Overall, The game is very good, but it feels almost like a really well done Cod 4 mod then anything else

So, first game Ive left work early for the entire year, got home at 2:15. UPS tracking has never shown a game delivered through RDD from Amazon past 1:00 where I live. Now almost 3:30 and still not here. Got pretty busy plans this evening, so if it doesnt hit here soon, probably not going to be able to touch it.

Not a huge deal, first world problems... yada yada, but still pretty annoying since I left work early.

Lothars

Well I guess I am getting Modern Warfare 3, I went onto futureshop's website and they had one hardened edition. So i ordered it.

If I don't no big deal.

TheApatheticOne said:
So, first game Ive left work early for the entire year, got home at 2:15. UPS tracking has never shown a game delivered through RDD from Amazon past 1:00 where I live. Now almost 3:30 and still not here. Got pretty busy plans this evening, so if it doesnt hit here soon, probably not going to be able to touch it.

Not a huge deal, first world problems... yada yada, but still pretty annoying since I left work early.
Mine got here at about 2:30. But Gears of War 3 didn't get here until around 7pm.

TheApatheticOne said:

My UPS comes at 6:00p like clockwork. For once I was disappointed I didn't get dropped down to the Lasership drop-ship company. They usually show up early in the morning.

legbone

TangoAlphaLima said:
They're what the public perceives as "gamers."

sadly, this is true. most people i work with are surprised when they find out i play videogames. there is a certain stereotype that i (thankfully) don't fit. i try to explain to them that those gamers generally are the younger ones and that i have been playing games for 33 years.

edit: oh, those also weren't "grown" men.

Prelithe

TheApatheticOne said:

lol, in similar situation. Saw DHL and USPS trucks on my street, except UPS which is delivering the game. One heck of a troll, those delivery guys.

Victrix

*beard*
Quick comments from my binge last night:

Game feels razor sharp. Barring a tiny few matches with a bit of lag, it was great.

No connectivity issues, no weird glitches. Literally the only problem we had is there's a stupid bug with party chat turning off in all game modes instead of S&D only, but that's about it.

Gameplay wise, guns feel great, sound effects are awesome.

Shotguns feel crap because I get the feeling they balanced them around Damage/Range equipped, and both are high level, so I'll have to suffer a bit until I get to that point.

Snipers are terrifying. Surprisingly didn't run into any quickscopers or even good snipers though.

I spent the whole night switching through every new weapon/attachment/toy I earned, so I was having a rough time against people with leveled proficient/blinged out weaponry, but there's going to be a looooooot more meat out tonight, so I'll have fun mowing them down with every gun in the game. Weapons level pretty quick (well... if you can kill with them, oh god low level KSG shotty).

And I unlocked Assassin, single most important perk for the next week or two :p

I pre-ordered at Best Buy because getting to play MW3 during a tourney sounded really cool. The flyer said to come at 8 pm. The tourny didn't start until 9:20. They were supose to have games set up of MW3 for people to play, but that turned into one xbox in a sound room that only allowed 4 people in at a time. The tournament got F-ed because the Activision rep said ther was to be no MW3 outside of best buy so the cheap ass truck they were hosting the event in changed it to MW2 instead.

The tourny consisted of 4 xboxes, FFA, split screen, default classes. It was a mess. They rushed everything to get done in 20 minutes, and I was left to sit on my hands at 9:35. I didn't want to wait in line to play MW3 so I went home. I live about 6 minutes away so it was no big deal, but I ended up falling asleep. I woke up so pissed at Best Buy for having a shitty event that I went up the next morning and cancled my preorder. It was for a normal copy so I didn't think I'd be missing out.

To salvage the experince, I decided to hunt down the elusive Hardend edition. I wound up at Target (the second store I tried) and they said they had none. I looked around and found one behind a glass case. I baught it and returned home triumphant.

TL:DR
Fort Worth Best Buy event sucked hard. Ended up getting hardened edition at Target.

CozMick

Banned
Did Infinity Ward learn anything from Modern Warfare 2?

UMP, overpowered.

No scoping is more accurate than ever.

Spawns are fucking garbage, I had a guy spawn 3 times in front of me after I killed him.

Oh and the maps are too fucking big for 12 players....

Fugu

Mik2121 said:
And that would be...?

Because really, BLOPS gunplay feels right to me. Then again you seem to be one of those around here that just want to trash talk this game for the sake of it, and it most likely affects the way you see the game while playing it.

Have fun.
What? I've only made two posts in this topic, and the other was asking whether or not shotguns were primaries. What is this assumption based off of?

I would be happy to explain my problem with the gunplay.

The removal of stopping power has caused them to necessarily balance guns in a way that encourages rock-paper-scissors type weapon selection that prevents gunplay from being a viable method of play in diverse environments. Specifically, the variance between gun damage (from one shot for close-range headshots for all snipers and the M14K to five shots for basically every SMG at range) makes it difficult to beat a player who has made the correct gun choice for the specific scenario presented. It makes it more difficult to be successful as an individual as the odds are more heavily stacked against you than they were before if you were using stopping power (even SMGs would kill in 3-4 at max range with stopping power). It also completely destroys the balance of SMGs and LMGs; LMGs were balanced by their ability to kill in two hits anywhere with stopping power. SMGs were balanced by their ability to reward a skilled player at a distance, particularly when coupled with a silencer. Assault rifles are ultra-viable, and single shot assault rifles make sniper rifles entirely redundant in this format. The presence of the one hit kill outside of sniper rifles also has ridiculous rammifications towards the depth of firefights, as a player with the M14 can end a firefight instantly with one well-placed shot without the consequences of using a sniper rifle as a primary weapon (the M14 does not have a hostile spread nor does it have particularly bad recoil).

In short, the game should never require you to take five shots to kill someone unless you are shooting through a surface, nor should it ever allow you to kill a player in one shot without having to undertake serious drawbacks. That both exist simultaneously is particularly ridiculous.

I really, truly love CoD4 and I didn't hate MW2 (it wrapped the solid gunplay of CoD4 in a burrito of stupid). I didn't buy this game just to shit on it; it's doing a pretty good job of accomplishing that itself.

Mik2121

Mister Wilhelm said:
Bought the PS3 version and played about five games.

Thoughts:

- Net code is a million times better.

- Game looks like complete and total shit.
Compared to what exactly? How would you say it looks when compared to Black Ops?

kuYuri

Important point about Founder Status for Elite:

http://oneofswords.com/2011/11/how-do-i-activate-founder-status-in-elite/

Once those issues are addressed, the Activision support website has detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to activate Founder status. It notes that Founder status will not be immediately visible; it could take as many as 48 hours before you see it listed on your profile. In other words, even if you followed those instructions, you won’t see your Founder designation immediately.

UPDATE: If you register your Elite premium subscription before November 13, you do not need to use the Founder card code — you will be automatically granted Founder status. The card is an unnecessary step for first-week subs; it’s there as insurance in case someone gets HE as a gift after the November 13 deadline. The folks who wake up Christmas morning or the last day of Hanukkah to find MW3 HE will not be left out. As a result, there’s no place to enter the Founder card code online right now — there’s no need for it yet.

Mister Wilhelm said:
Bought the PS3 version and played about five games.

Thoughts:

- Net code is a million times better.

- Game looks like complete and total shit.

How bad is it? Goddamn, I'll be so angry if this looks worst than MW2 from the freaking 2009. It's been 5 years since PS3 launch, is it so hard to learn to properly code? :|

Top Bottom