• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

eek5

seems maybe a little better, but I wouldn't say fixed

As stupid as revenge spawns were, if you were a good attacker you could deal with them 60-70% of the time and continue on your day. The new problem is spawning or having people spawn right on you which is WAYYYY worse. I probably had 10 instances of something that bad happening in 1400 games, now it happens almost every match.

So I'd say it is worse, at least in my experience.

aku:jiki

Spawns don't seem better at all... How is so hard to punch in a few lines of code that basically equal "if enemy within (x), pick another spawn point." Throw in a few emergency spawn points that are only used if there's an enemy in all normally viable ones. Right?

Yeah it looks like the MOAB user doesn't get a title, but I think the opposing team does at least
I've been hit by a couple and I didn't get anything, not even a hidden challenge (though challenge pops don't always work so who knows). There is a hidden challenge for calling them in, though.

Some dude on my team scored one on Dome Demolition yesterday... That was fucking impressive! I have a hard enough time getting my assault drone on Dome!

Spawns don't seem better at all... How is so hard to punch in a few lines of code that basically equal "if enemy within (x), pick another spawn point." Throw in a few emergency spawn points that are only used if there's an enemy in all normally viable ones. Right?

The problem is that the maps weren't designed well. They are all missing empty back areas for safe spawns when all else is too dangerous.

Strike had those safe areas (Top Left and Bottom Right corners): http://www.cod4central.com/images/cod4maps/cod4strike.jpg

Crossfire had them as well (Bottom Left and Top Right corners):
http://www.cod4central.com/images/cod4maps/cod4crossfire.jpg

Bloc had them (top and bottom):
http://www.cod4central.com/images/cod4maps/cod4bloc.jpg

Downpour had them (bottom right and top left):
http://www.cod4central.com/images/cod4maps/cod4downpour.jpg

Pipeline had them (bottom right and top left):
http://www.cod4central.com/images/cod4maps/cod4pipeline.jpg

Derail had them (top left, middle right):
http://www.themodernwarfare2.com/images/mw2/maps/derail-layout.jpg

Overgrown, Afghan, Quarry, and Baklot didn't have them but it didn't matter because those maps was so large and there were so many different parts that there was always a safe area to spawn in.

The rest were either okay in non-objective modes (like crash), or were complete garbage with spawns (Like Showdown)

In MW3, most of the maps feel like Showdown at best, where there were a lot spawns that are unideal regardless what spawn system is programmed.

I picked this up today after being not too impressed with a certain other game and I have to say I'm loving this. Now I'm wondering if I wasn't sick of cod, just Black Ops. All the maps in this are so good, guns feel so impactful and more accurate, I love the new leveling system, they way they cleaned up the interface, all the menus are slick and sharp. I'm really impressed. :)
This post is old but this sums up my feelings exactly.

I've been playing for about 2 weeks now and im enjoying it more than i thought. The menue music grew on me too. I hated it at first but now i love it. All the maps are way better than MW2. Downturn is one of my favorites. Just like you, i thought i was tired of COD but its must of been BO. A game i think is the best COD since 4. But i think i like MW3 better.

Is it just me, or do some of the maps designs look a lot like the ones from COD4? I get a weird nostalgia feeling playing them.

MickeyPhree

This post is old but this sums up my feelings exactly.

I've been playing for about 2 weeks now and im enjoying it more than i thought. The menue music grew on me too. I hated it at first but now i love it. All the maps are way better than MW2. Downturn is one of my favorites. Just like you, i thought i was tired of COD but its must of been BO. A game i think is the best COD since 4. But i think i like MW3 better.

Is it just me, or do some of the maps designs look a lot like the ones from COD4? I get a weird nostalgia feeling playing them.

I haven't play cod since mw2 so I hated the game when I got it 3 weeks ago. Now that ive remembered how to play I'm really enjoying it glitches and problems be damned.

R2D4

Banned
I haven't gotten a MOAB because I'm too busy getting my head blown off by someone that spawned 10 ft behind me.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm pretty disappointed with the level of stat tracking within Elite though so I'm not hoping for much.
Me too. I don't understand why they're not just reusing what Treyarch did for both WaW and BO and building on that, instead of starting completely from scratch. I get that Treyarch is the stepchild and there's internal bickering and all that stupid shit, but why isn't Activision acting like the boss that it is in this case?

It's so unbelievably backwards how they integrated the worst part of Black Ops (the netcode) into MW3 and the future of the franchise, but won't take the best part (the stats/in-game features). How the hell does that happen?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Me too. I don't understand why they're not just reusing what Treyarch did for both WaW and BO and building on that, instead of starting completely from scratch. I get that Treyarch is the stepchild and there's internal bickering and all that stupid shit, but why isn't Activision acting like the boss that it is in this case?

It's so unbelievably backwards how they integrated the worst part of Black Ops (the netcode) into MW3 and the future of the franchise, but won't take the best part (the stats/in-game features). How the hell does that happen?

I can understand gameplay differences but yeah pretty stupid that the stat tracking and UI stuff doesn't get better with each iteration and in some cases regresses between titles.

I can understand gameplay differences but yeah pretty stupid that the stat tracking and UI stuff doesn't get better with each iteration and in some cases regresses between titles.

What's more amazing is that Bungie had this stat-tracking shit locked down back in 2007, yet Activision still has its head up its own ass despite taking over the mantle as the FPS king.

bluehat9

Do some of teh challenges require more than what the description says? Like 'call in 3 uavs in a single match.' I've got support with just uav and cuav and I know I call in a ton during a domination game (especially since I completed the challenge for countering 3 opponent uavs in a match).

Do I need to do it with assault or something?

kuYuri

Some quick pics of Elite app:

codelite560.jpg

kuYuri

Well, Shacknews is reporting the Android version hits a week later, so it's not THAT long of a wait for Android users if true.

Kujo

I've been hit by a couple and I didn't get anything, not even a hidden challenge (though challenge pops don't always work so who knows). There is a hidden challenge for calling them in, though.
Yeah just checked and it looks like it is:

Toxic - Get killed by an enemy M.O.A.B.

What are the hidden challenges for calling them in though?

Karl2177

Brian Fellows wins this round.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm pretty disappointed with the level of stat tracking within Elite though so I'm not hoping for much.

Shucks. I'm putting my hopes high for it. Hopefully it'll be better than the Halo Waypoint iOS app, and actually use retina.

kuYuri

App is pretty slick after checking it for a few minutes. Liking it so far. Of course, you don't have access to a number of things (clans, groups, operations, Elite TV, etc).

I just equipped the Dragunov for the first time and am left wondering why it's still in the game? Why would you ever want to use this over the RSASS? They're the same gun except one is nigh-overpowered and one is a useless POS. It takes three bullets sometimes, four if they're in Final Stand!

Edit: Oh, Kick makes a HUGE difference on the Dragunov. Still inferior to the RSASS though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Trying to login to the iOS app and I keep getting an error "Login Failed - You must visit elite.callofduty.com to accept the Terms of Service before you login"

What is this garbage?

I just equipped the Dragunov for the first time and am left wondering why it's still in the game? Why would you ever want to use this over the RSASS? They're the same gun except one is nigh-overpowered and one is a useless POS. It takes three bullets sometimes, four if they're in Final Stand!

Edit: Oh, Kick makes a HUGE difference on the Dragunov. Still inferior to the RSASS though.

It does 70 damage with the only 1.5 multiplier being for the head.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWEaU8N7NeddHNhUlJxZ3RMd1NnVUVDNEtmYUR4SWc#gid=0

They should have reduced the hipfire to LMG hipfire and increased the run speed of the dragunov to 100%.

So after playing with the iOS this criticism still stands: terrible stat tracking (we already knew that). I'll give them this though, it works far better than the website does so that's a pleasant surprise. Was not expecting this level of responsiveness.

Karl2177

Stat tracking is terrible, but at least in my 10 minutes of tinkering around, it hasn't crashed or signed me out for no reason. I like being able to change loadouts on the fly, and see challenges. But what it comes to looking at game history and player stats, it's still a decade behind.

maomaoIYP

I just played the best game of my 3 days worth of playing time, 39:1, with a one kill away from a MOAB, and the game drops the connection in the post game kill cam and the whole thing doesn't register on the stat tracker.

kuYuri

To add to above post:

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=638395

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Jan. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Modern Warfare® 3 blazes into 2012 with the debut of all-new multiplayer maps Liberation and Piazza, the front line of the Modern Warfare® 3 Content Season for Call of Duty® Elite, nine consecutive months of epic downloadable content that commences January 24th for Xbox Live users. Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc.'s (Nasdaq: ATVI), revealed today that the content will be available first for Call of Duty® Elite's premium members on Xbox LIVE, followed by additional platforms at a later time. From January through September, Call of Duty Elite premium members on Xbox LIVE will receive regular updates of all new content totaling at least 20 content drops.

The Modern Warfare 3 Content Season for Call of Duty Elite will include a broader variety than ever, with brand new multiplayer maps, Special Ops Missions, new game modes and more. While Call of Duty Elite premium subscribers get the new content first, as promised, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 fans who want to buy the content a la carte as they have in the past, will be able to purchase the content via Modern Warfare 3 Content Collections.

"The mammoth launch of Modern Warfare 3 and the breakout success of Call of Duty Elite were just the beginning. Call of Duty Elite provides an ‛always-on' connection to our fanbase, and the MW3 Content Season is the ultimate way to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to the Call of Duty community and provide tremendous value to Call of Duty Elite premium members," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. "With the Call of Duty®: MW3 Content Season for Call of Duty Elite we are delivering on our promise of more new content, more often, and with more variety than ever. With three studios collaborating on the first season, the breadth and depth of material on tap is truly extraordinary. It's rare you can successfully execute both quantity and quality, but thanks to the expertise of our developers, the reach of Call of Duty Elite and the passion of our fans, we intend to deliver."

All content drops for Call of Duty Elite premium members will occur once a month, starting in January for Xbox Live users and will continue through the year, ending in September. During the first three months of 2012, Activision will release five different content drops on three occasions in January, February and March, first on Xbox Live, followed by additional platforms at a later time.

The first two Content Drops will be multiplayer maps—also playable in Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode—that throw combatants into a war-torn Central Park and an Italian seaside village. Liberation is a vast, militarized landscape, ripe for long-range sniper and LMG fire, with mounted turrets on either end that lend power to anyone brave enough to expose themselves in exchange for deadly firepower. Piazza is the idyllic Italian getaway that is anything but, where tight corners and branching pathways pose great risk at every turn. Close-range combat dominates in Piazza, where attacks from behind, above and below are an ever-constant threat.

The third Content Drop will be available for download in mid-February and two additional Content Drops will go live in March, as premium Call of Duty Elite members will receive new content once a month through September. Also in March, the first Modern Warfare 3 Content Collection will be available for purchase by the entire Call of Duty: MW3 player community on Xbox Live.

To celebrate the launch of each new content drop, Call of Duty Elite will run specialized events for real-world prizes throughout the nine-month Season. Additional details about the Modern Warfare 3 Content Season for Call of Duty Elite and Collection series will be announced throughout the year.

The Modern Warfare 3 Content Season is co-developed by Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wowee Liberation takes place in New York! That makes the map sooooooo awesome!

I also see myself camping like a motherfucker on that Italian map. I hate small tight maps.

kuYuri

Screenshots:

Liberation
Ifxrs.jpg

UAbjS.jpg

ILEb7.jpg

xYsbS.jpg

20tpn.jpg

Piazza
SLa9N.jpg

2KyvG.jpg

KVdDR.jpg

nCtyy.jpg

ZYRZr.jpg

Finally. Don't see why this information couldn't have come out months ago, instead of telling us nothing but "Sorry Elite isn't working yet!!!"

I'm glad to hear there will be some campaign-based DLC, from what it sounds like.
I kind of wish there would be straight up Map Packs of 4 maps instead of 1 or 2 every couple months though.

Did you read the PR? It's right there, they will release the first one in March as a content pack for people who aren't Elite subscribers

EYEL1NER

Did you read the PR? It's right there, they will release the first one in March as a content pack for people who aren't Elite subscribers
Right. But I am an Elite subscriber.
I would prefer having a longer wait in between the maps and get more at once than having them handed out in smaller batches more frequently. But that isn't the way they are going to do it, so I cannot complain really.

What MW3 are these developers players where LMGs are usable for long-range?

I pretty much never see people using LMGs period.

I wonder if this means that Elite subscribers will definitely get 5 multiplayer maps before March, since that would fit the standard Activision 5 maps for $15 pricing structure?

kuYuri

I pretty much never see people using LMGs period.

I wonder if this means that Elite subscribers will definitely get 5 multiplayer maps before March, since that would fit the standard Activision 5 maps for $15 pricing structure?

Well, they are promising at least 20 pieces of content over nine months, so we might actually be getting 6 new pieces of content by March if they release 2 pieces of content a month, for a total of 20 by September.

It could be 4 MP/Spec-Ops Survival Maps and 2 Spec-Ops Mission, or maybe all 6 MP/Survival maps, etc.

Well, they are promising at least 20 pieces of content over nine months, so we might actually be getting 6 new pieces of content by March if they release 2 pieces of content a month, for a total of 20 by September.

It could be 4 MP/Spec-Ops Survival Maps and 2 Spec-Ops Mission, or maybe all 6 MP/Survival maps, etc.

That's what I'm wondering though, how is it going to work out for those who are going to purchase the MW3 Content Collection? Will they mix multiplayer maps and Spec-Ops missions to sell for $15? Will they release 6 multiplayer maps to Elite subscribers before March, then only sell 5 of them in the March Content Collection?

I'd think that whatever we, as Elite subscribers, get before March in terms of multiplayer maps will definitely be sold in the March Content Collection, since it would keep the community less fragmented, but maybe I'm wrong.

Top Bottom