• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
whats the Go-to gun in this game for winning every match

in blops i used the ak74u/grip/rapid.

edit i think its they duel black uzi things everyone seems to be tearing shit up with

Jrmint

I'm getting bored on M4A1, any suggested gun that is fun to use? (excep shotguns)

I'm thinking of using the MP7 after I gold this M4A1.
MP7 is a blast. I also really enjoy the G36C. Little more recoil than the M4, but it is very predictable.

eek5

whats the Go-to gun in this game for winning every match

in blops i used the ak74u/grip/rapid.

edit i think its they duel black uzi things everyone seems to be tearing shit up with

T95 w/ RF will win every encounter if your aim is good and sometimes even when your aim isn't good. I personally prefer Mk14 since you don't have to reload as much. ACR (slower RoF but low recoil, good long range auto AR), M4, FAD (needs scav imo. 5 shots long range but fast ROF. pretty good close/mid range), G36 (mostly vertical) are all good all-around ARs. PP90, MP7 are both good SMGs. PP90 is more close-mid range, MP7 is more mid-long range.

Lol tried the competition thing last night: highest defends was 640.

Got in the top 10% with only 42.

I really do hate the way they're running those competitions. I know I have zero chance anyway, because I suck, but it sure would be nice to have smaller windows in which they tally scores. I just don't have the time to spend 3 hours straight on the game, especially not on a weeknight. It's like the competitions are only meant for high school and college kids with no responsibilities.

Zero Hero

The Elite iPhone app is really cool. Seeing a load out you want to try online and putting it in your phone is a lot easier than hoping you remember it when you sit down to play. I just can't believe it was free and not paid elite only.

I've been running a few matches with this:
cnpeC.png

P90 has range and a silencer. Pretty fun so far. Anyone have any changes they would make?

maomaoIYP

The Elite iPhone app is really cool. Seeing a load out you want to try online and putting it in your phone is a lot easier than hoping you remember it when you sit down to play. I just can't believe it was free and not paid elite only.

http://i.imgur.com/cnpeC.png[/IMG

P90 has range and a silencer. Pretty fun so far. Anyone have any changes they would make?[/QUOTE]

Do you always finish 2 smgs worth of ammo before you die? If not, swap out overkill, it's one of the worst perks.

R2D4

Banned

cnpeC.png

P90 has range and a silencer. Pretty fun so far. Anyone have any changes they would make?

Don't have two SMG's. You aren't gaining anything. Change out Overkill with Hardline. Overkill is only really worth it if you have a sniper rifle as your second primary.

Zero Hero

Do you always finish 2 smgs worth of ammo before you die? If not, swap out overkill, it's one of the worst perks.

I'm constantly on the run and switching to the P90 seams faster than reloading the PP90M. I just started using yesterday and have had some good rounds.

maomaoIYP

I'm constantly on the run and switching to the P90 seams faster than reloading the PP90M. I just started using yesterday and have had some good rounds.

You're already using steady aim, I would just use akimbo machine pistols and take hardline or assassin instead. The only good time to use overkill would be to have a shield as a primary and play objective based games.

Why should the MK14 get a range nerf? Taking that away would be taking away the only advantage it has over every other AR. It has the poorest ironsights in the whole game, has average hipfire, and is semi auto.

Simply put, the gun right now has a combination of low recoil, easy to spam, does 49 damage minimum, and REALLY far range (It doesn't drop to 49 damage until you get to sniper-ranges. Even with a silencer it has better range than some unsilenced ARS and LMGs).

If they added recoil, changed the minimal damage to 35, and/or reduced the range it would be more balanced.

(Been reading these forums for a while now. Feels good to be able to post, lol)

I've played a few games with some of you (through Strider). Just can't remember who though. Looking forward to playing with you guys more often.

Have gone to 10th already and decided to reset my stats (since I planned to anyways at least once). Used too many AR's/SMG's during that run. Wanted to use more variety so now I've been playing with LMG's. Sticking with the MG36 until I reach 2500 kills, which currently sits at about 1300 kills. Then maybe move on to the M60 or the PM-9

Haven't bought Elite yet, and I probably won't. Don't mind waiting for the bundles.

winnarps

(Been reading these forums for a while now. Feels good to be able to post, lol)

I've played a few games with some of you (through Strider). Just can't remember who though. Looking forward to playing with you guys more often.

Have gone to 10th already and decided to reset my stats (since I planned to anyways at least once). Used too many AR's/SMG's during that run. Wanted to use more variety so now I've been playing with LMG's. Sticking with the MG36 until I reach 2500 kills, which currently sits at about 1300 kills. Then maybe move on to the M60 or the PM-9

Haven't bought Elite yet, and I probably won't. Don't mind waiting for the bundles.

What happens when you reset stats at 10th prestige? Just restores you to lvl1 non-prestige? What about all of your titles and emblems? Or even your leaderboard, kdr, and other such stats?

What happens when you reset stats at 10th prestige? Just restores you to lvl1 non-prestige? What about all of your titles and emblems? Or even your leaderboard, kdr, and other such stats?

You'll start back at level 1, no prestige.
You lose ALL of your titles/emblems.
Your leaderboard stats for game modes (domination, KC, TDM, etc..) stay the same. If you were rank 5000 on the domination leaderboards with 10,000 kills, you'll stay with that and be able to continue.
Your overall score/kills/accuracy/wins gets reset though.

I don't like that you lose all your titles/emblems. I worked hard for the unicorn emblem lol. I recently got the boy/girl pacifier emblems so I won't be resetting my stats any time soon. Maybe not until summer to give myself something to do.

I would also have liked if there was some sort of symbol or SOMETHING that would show you did reset your stats but I guess that was too much to ask.

You'll start back at level 1, no prestige.
You lose ALL of your titles/emblems.
Your leaderboard stats for game modes (domination, KC, TDM, etc..) stay the same. If you were rank 5000 on the domination leaderboards with 10,000 kills, you'll stay with that and be able to continue.
Your overall score/kills/accuracy/wins gets reset though.

I don't like that you lose all your titles/emblems. I worked hard for the unicorn emblem lol. I recently got the boy/girl pacifier emblems so I won't be resetting my stats any time soon. Maybe not until summer to give myself something to do.

I would also have liked if there was some sort of symbol or SOMETHING that would show you did reset your stats but I guess that was too much to ask.

Thanks for this info. To add one more question to that, can you reset before 10th prestige? If so, what about unused prestige tokens? Do they disappear?

Edit: looks like you can only reset after the 10th prestige. Nm.

I love Overkill and I think I have at least three classes with Overkill as my second perk. For bigger open maps like Village and Intersection I might use PP90 + FAD/ACR, in mid size maps I might use PP90 and a silenced MP7 and in small maps like Mission and Carbon I rock PP90 with Striker. My play style is more towards run & gun so I don't miss Assassin that much and it's really handy to have the optimal weapon in every situation. My k/d ratio also started going up ever since I switched to Overkill so definitely not the worst perk..

Zero Hero

I love Overkill and I think I have at least three classes with Overkill as my second perk. For bigger open maps like Village and Intersection I might use PP90 + FAD/ACR, in mid size maps I might use PP90 and a silenced MP7 and in small maps like Mission and Carbon I rock PP90 with Striker. My play style is more towards run & gun so I don't miss Assassin that much and it's really handy to have the optimal weapon in every situation. My k/d ratio also started going up ever since I switched to Overkill so definitely not the worst perk..

I'm one level away from the MP7. I can't wait to try it out. According to the Elite app, I only need 5138 more XP. Looks like I'll get to try it out tonight! :D

I take back part of what I said about the patch fixing the shotguns. The spas-12 doesn't seem to be any better than it was before. I still need to try out the AA12, but I with the KSG and USAS buff they definitely need to increase the damage per-pellet of the spas-12 to 40-10 and change the rate of fire to 80 RPM.

EDIT: better yet, they should have just increased the pellet count for the spas-12 and AA12 to 12 pellets and changed the 1887 to 10 pellets.

I take back part of what I said about the patch fixing the shotguns. The spas-12 doesn't seem to be any better than it was before. I still need to try out the AA12, but I with the KSG and USAS buff they definitely need to increase the damage per-pellet of the spas-12 to 40-10 and change the rate of fire to 80 RPM.
The SPAS-12 seems a lot better to me, haven't tried the other shotguns yet

Thanks for this info. To add one more question to that, can you reset before 10th prestige? If so, what about unused prestige tokens? Do they disappear?

Edit: looks like you can only reset after the 10th prestige. Nm.

Oh yea..about tokens...after you reset your stats, you will get back any tokens you received from the previous COD's. So if you had all 4 tokens, you'll get all 4 back. Maybe not right away but after a few games played, you'll see them.

kuYuri

Yo Hispanic, finally good to see you posting.

I need to try out the KSG more now, I remember I wanted to play with it back then because of the large magazine size, but the damage was atrocious.

Oh yea..about tokens...after you reset your stats, you will get back any tokens you received from the previous COD's. So if you had all 4 tokens, you'll get all 4 back. Maybe not right away but after a few games played, you'll see them.

Well that's definitely cool, even though I'll ever reach 10th Prestige in the first place. Thanks and welcome to GAF!

My plan (to wipe my shitty stats since all the fixes came in and I figured out how to play this game) has been foiled. I'll have to battle my K/D up to positive from .62, ugh. Currently .83 and climbing :-/

DRE Fei

Guns like the spas12 aren't gonna magically be any better now, because you still have the connection issue to deal with. It wasn't even consistent before the patch with the ext. mags glitch and damage/range.

I think people are expecting too much of a power shift in the shotguns after this "buff" and it's just not realistic. The striker will still end up being really easy mode just because of the low margin for error. You can just spam bitches all day with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 6 pellets across the board. As soon as you initiate that view kick on someone, it's over.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Guns like the spas12 aren't gonna magically be any better now, because you still have the connection issue to deal with. It wasn't even consistent before the patch with the ext. mags glitch and damage/range.

I think people are expecting too much of a power shift in the shotguns after this "buff" and it's just not realistic. The striker will still end up being really easy mode just because of the low margin for error. You can just spam bitches all day with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 6 pellets even with ext. mags. As soon as you initiate that view kick on someone, it's over.

The USAS sounds like it got a pretty good upgrade though. More damage and increased range without any proficiencies. At least the grind sounds like it'll be more bearable if I want to try and get another gold gun?

DRE Fei

The USAS sounds like it got a pretty good upgrade though. More damage and increased range without any proficiencies. At least the grind sounds like it'll be more bearable if I want to try and get another gold gun?

Yeah, before the patch I'd say the USAS was the only one that was halfway decent without damage/range. I'm hearing good things about it now from other people too.

I'm not expecting perfection, but here's the current problem:

KSG: 9 pellets that each do 28-15 damage (range is around 5 meters further than the striker range); Pump Action.

SPAS-12: 8 pellets that each do 25-5 damage (range starts dropping off at the same distance as KSG and goes out a little further, but drops down to 5 damage instead of 15); Pump Action.

USAS: 9 pellets that each do 25-5 damage (range per pellet is identical to the spas-12) Full-Auto (although the rate of fire makes it more like semi-auto with a firing cap) Has a sprint bonus.

The only advantage the spas-12 now has over the ksg now is further hitmarker range and it fires slightly faster (0.92 seconds between shots instead of 1 second between shots)

Meanwhile, the USAS now outclasses the Spas-12 in every way besides magazine size and reloading small amounts of ammo.

Without some sort of damage buff to the spas-12 is now completely useless.

I think people are expecting too much of a power shift in the shotguns after this "buff" and it's just not realistic. The striker will still end up being really easy mode just because of the low margin for error. You can just spam bitches all day with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 6 pellets across the board. As soon as you initiate that view kick on someone, it's over.

Since this update, a lot more people have started using the USAS because they don't have to unlock extended mags for it to be more even with the striker. And now that the KSG can easily get a 2HK at any range you can hitmarker the enemy (but unlike before the patch it now usually only takes 1 hit), people are going to use that as the go to pump-action shotgun.

You're not going to see people using any particular shotgun as much as you saw the striker being used, but now it's 3 different shotguns used e every now and then, instead of 1 shotgun used 90% of the time and every other shotgun being used on rare occasions. They now have only 3 shotguns that are subpar before level 23.

Balancing would be easier if there weren't so many weapons. What if there was only

-1 burst AR
-1 semi-auto AR
-2 automatic ARs (one low damage and easy to control, other vise versa)
-2 SMGs (one for closer range/high fire rate/high recoil, one for longer/slower fire rate/lower recoil)
-2 LMGs (both good at range, one low mag/fast reload and other big mag/slow reload)
-1 pump shotty (best damage/range)
-1 auto shotty (worst damage/range)
-1 semi-auto shotty (in between the above)
-1 bolt action sniper (higher damage)
-1 semi auto sniper (lower damage)
-1 regular pistol (low damage, big mag)
-1 revolver or Desert Eagle (high damage, small mag)
-2 machine pistols (one closer range, one longer, both less effective than SMGs)
-3 launchers (omg) (one only and best for players, one only and best for vehicles, one worse but useable on both)

then what would you do

Radec

Still no update/patch for the PS3 right ?

Stealth Bomber/Color-blind asists still works last night.

Balancing would be easier if there weren't so many weapons. What if there was only

-1 burst AR
-1 semi-auto AR
-2 SMGs (one for closer range/high fire rate/high recoil, one for longer/slower fire rate/lower recoil)
-2 LMGs (both good at range, one low mag/fast reload and other big mag/slow reload)
-2 machine pistols (one closer range, one longer, both less effective than SMGs)
-3 launchers (omg) (one only and best for players, one only and best for vehicles, one worse but useable on both)

then what would you do

It will be easy for the devs, yes.

But it will be boring as fuck.

Many prestige players are enjoying prestiging because they can try other weapons. It is fun especially if you're discovering guns that you thought it sucked at first but then end up being a beast with it.

-1 burst AR
-1 semi-auto AR

then what would you do

It's not that hard to balance these guns. It's just that IW managed to fuck up on some key areas:

- Full Auto akimbo weapons having small hipfire
- having a burst-fire weapon that has high damage and a high RoF instead of one or the other.
- having an AR that always does at least 30 damage yet has pretty much no recoil
- making shotguns take at least 4 pellets to kill and then (at first) putting in a pump-action that only fires 6 pellets
- removing all damage advantages LMGs had over ARs while significantly increasing both the recoil and the shittyness of the iron-sights.
- making secondaries up to par with the primaries in a game with Overkill.
- taking the M14 from CoD4, removing most of the recoil, and increasing the ranged damage as well as the range so that even with a silencer you can easily get 2HKs across the map.

And just so you understand how much these fuck-ups and balance issues have to do with the incompetency of the developers:

THE LATEAST PATCH PUFFED AKIMBO MACHINE PISTOLS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE7u...6F1FE917D39018E8&context=G2f7bb63FAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously, they did ZERO testing on these patches.

EDIT: beaten with regards to the MP RoF video.

eek5

THE LATEAST PATCH PUFFED AKIMBO MACHINE PISTOLS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE7u...6F1FE917D39018E8&context=G2f7bb63FAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously, they did ZERO testing on these patches.

EDIT: beaten with regards to the MP RoF video.

I don't think that's fair. I'm not sure if it was even the patch that did it because I remember reading someone that tested akimbo ROF before and it was faster in akimbo BEFORE the first nerf. I think it's just someone else posting a video about it now rather than the patch buffing it.

Simply put, the gun right now has a combination of low recoil, easy to spam, does 49 damage minimum, and REALLY far range (It doesn't drop to 49 damage until you get to sniper-ranges. Even with a silencer it has better range than some unsilenced ARS and LMGs).

If they added recoil, changed the minimal damage to 35, and/or reduced the range it would be more balanced.

With silencer, the Mk14 goes to 3 shot to kill range on most maps (even ones not named "Liberation"). I think the only nerf they really need to give it is to add sway.

Madtown_

I don't think that's fair. I'm not sure if it was even the patch that did it because I remember reading someone that tested akimbo ROF before and it was faster in akimbo BEFORE the first nerf. I think it's just someone else posting a video about it now rather than the patch buffing it.

I understand that there has always been a weird difference between the fire rate for akimbo and single, but what the video is showing is that the patch increased that difference.

With silencer, the Mk14 goes to 3 shot to kill range on most maps (even ones not named "Liberation"). I think the only nerf they really need to give it is to add sway.

The range at which the Mk14 is a 2 shot kill is ridiculously far, even with a silencer:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWEaU8N7NeddEprUWFkQi1ZWFU0eGItNGwzZG1oSXc#gid=0

To see what I am talking about visually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zWDTW5fbzLc#t=287s

That's a two hit kill with a silencer at a range that most other guns drop down to their minimum damage. That was okay with the M14 w/SP in CoD4 because of the high recoil the gun had.

Top Bottom