• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

Ultryx

I fucking love this game. I keep beating a chapter and then stopping because I don't want to blaze through the game!

GHG

Gold Member
Site doesn't react to the voucher. Or at all after going to the reward page. I'm trying to be a cheap arse here, dammit :/

You have to checkout to use vouchers now. When you get to the page where it lets you add the voucher, put the code in click add voucher (nothing will change after this), then click continue on the right. You should see the discounted price on the next page.

derFeef

So whats everyones favourite weapons? I love the rifle and the sawed off akimbo style. The silver shotty is badass too. I switch it up often enough but I think the shotguns are rally great in this game - and realistic too. Which sounds weird I know ;)

-Mikey-

Anyone in Europe able to buy this on GMG with the 25% and the voucher and gift it to me? I can do paypal or trade something on steam that's of equal value.

Binabik15

You have to checkout to use vouchers now. When you get to the page where it lets you add the voucher, put the code in click add voucher (nothing will change after this), then click continue on the right. You should see the discounted price on the next page.

I clicked everything and nothing happend, wouldn't change from that. Reopned the site, added voucher, did ? went away for ten minutes and it worked. Thanks, man.

It's funny, I learned about it yesterday, watched the trailer thanks to this thread this evening, complained to a buddy that I want this, but don't want to pay full price after basically stealing games during the amazing amazon sale, saw the post about GMG andyour code and now my backlog is bigger again.

Crap

Plissken

So whats everyones favourite weapons? I love the rifle and the sawed off akimbo style. The silver shotty is badass too. I switch it up often enough but I think the shotguns are rally great in this game - and realistic too. Which sounds weird I know ;)

I've been using the Ivory Inlaid Quickshooters since I unlocked them, love their look and quickshooters in general. Rifle is close behind, shotguns haven't really gotten much use from me, might have to unlock the akimbo sawn-off that everyone raves about.

O.DOGG

Quickshooters and shotgun, no doubt. At least on levels where the shotgun is a feasible choice. If not, it's the rifle for me. All upgraded of course.

LiK

finished it today on Normal, EXCELLENT. played some NG+ on Hard. still fun. really great to unlock more powers. can't wait to unlock them all and play the final difficulty. what a great game and i haven't even tried Arcade mode yet.

PaulloDEC

I've been using the Ivory Inlaid Quickshooters since I unlocked them, love their look and quickshooters in general. Rifle is close behind, shotguns haven't really gotten much use from me, might have to unlock the akimbo sawn-off that everyone raves about.

Same for me, love those Ivory-inlaid Quickshooters. Nothing like kicking a door in with those badboys equipped.

Blizzard

Banned
Bit the bullet. Had some points laying around someone gave me. Debating on whether to start on normal or hard.
I figure some people probably start games on hard difficulty as a point of pride, but honestly I would recommend starting this game on normal. Hard may have some frustrating parts for me even with 2/3 of the skills unlocked, and when you start you have no skills. If you play through on normal, you'll unlock maybe 1/3 of all skills by the end of the playthrough, which should make hard difficulty a little nicer on new game+.

If you start on hard, where is there to go but true west if you want to play through again to unlock all the skills? :p I guess you could ramp it down to normal for an easier run. Still, story mode on normal is probably the most balanced starting experience.

LiK

Bit the bullet. Had some points laying around someone gave me. Debating on whether to start on normal or hard.

game told me to play on Hard after judging my performance in first level but i went Normal anyway. i'm playing Hard for NG+

I figure some people probably start games on hard difficulty as a point of pride, but honestly I would recommend starting this game on normal. Hard may have some frustrating parts for me even with 2/3 of the skills unlocked, and when you start you have no skills. If you play through on normal, you'll unlock maybe 1/3 of all skills by the end of the playthrough, which should make hard difficulty a little nicer on new game+.

I think I went with hard because of the implied shorter length of the game, but would back your claim. Markedly high replay value, whatever you do.

Finally started my NG+ on True West mode...Man, with the upgrades and no hud, this is the way the game was meant to be played, so tense.

Bedlam

I recommend starting on normal, then play NG+ on hard. That progression perfectly complements the amount of XP you get and by the end of NG+ you have unlocked pretty much everything, preparing you for True West difficulty (I think I had one skill left to unlock in True West).

Finally started my NG+ on True West mode...Man, with the upgrades and no hud, this is the way the game was meant to be played, so tense.
And it plays so differently. On normal and hard, I rarely used single gun anymore once I unlocked the dual-wielding skill. On True West, I mostly used single gun in order to be able to aim properly, dual gun wielding only for rare close quaters shootouts.

Man, after three playthroughs I still marvel at this game. The extremely fluid gameplay, the satisfying feel of the guns, the entertaining narration, the picturesque quality of the level design. Loving all of it.

The episodic nature of the the story with the abrupt changes of scenery more than once reminded me of Red Dead Revolver btw.

Binabik15

Is there a performance thread or is it cool to ask here?

What settings should I choose with a stock i5 750 (really need to buy a cooler and OC), 7870@1050 and a meager 4 gigs of DDR3-1333 for maximum eye candy with stable fps? I have D3DOverider on, is that still a thing with the newer Catalyst? I really didn't have time to play games the last year on pc besides a few older ones that run no matter what, so I'm out of the loop. In-game AA or some injector?

derFeef

I shall remember this game as one of the best games I ever played. So satisfying and well told.

What settings should I choose with a stock i5 750 (really need to buy a cooler and OC), 7870@1050 and a meager 4 gigs of DDR3-1333 for maximum eye candy with stable fps? I have D3DOverider on, is that still a thing with the newer Catalyst? I really didn't have time to play games the last year on pc besides a few older ones that run no matter what, so I'm out of the loop. In-game AA or some injector?

You should be able to max it out. I used SweetFX for SMAA and DPX color effect.

Blizzard

Banned

I tend to run D3DOverrider with games that use vsync, but Gunslinger actually didn't feel like I needed it. My machine is way worse than yours and I still turned everything to max and ran at 60 fps smoothly.

There's no ingame AA so you'll need to set up some sort of downsampling or maybe driver-forced AA, I don't know much in that regard.

Binabik15

I shall remember this game as one of the best games I ever played. So satisfying and well told.

You should be able to max it out. I used SweetFX for SMAA and DPX color effect.

I tend to run D3DOverrider with games that use vsync, but Gunslinger actually didn't feel like I needed it. My machine is way worse than yours and I still turned everything to max and ran at 60 fps smoothly.

There's no ingame AA so you'll need to set up some sort of downsampling or maybe driver-forced AA, I don't know much in that regard.

Thanks, I'll try using SweetFX for SMAA.

antitrop

I think the game can be tough in spots even on normal.
Maybe just a few, I found it pretty simple.

I think the spots where you are surrounded by respawning enemies and have to hold out for a few seconds or whatever are probably the hardest on Normal.

I cant stop playing the Story mode. Still havent even touched Arcade.
Arcade is so much fun, dude. Figuring out the best way to keep 1 single combo through the entire run is so entertaining.

Eventually you get it down to a science, where you know exactly what point in each level you have to switch weapons, which pumpkins you have to shoot, shortcuts, etc. It's the shit.

Thanks, I'll try using SweetFX for SMAA.
Yup, that's your best bet, I'd say. I played the game with a combination of 1440p downsampling and SMAA.

eshwaaz

Man, after three playthroughs I still marvel at this game. The extremely fluid gameplay, the satisfying feel of the guns, the entertaining narration, the picturesque quality of the level design. Loving all of it.
I'm totally with you. I'm on my fourth playthrough and it's still incredibly entertaining. It's so smartly designed in so many ways; a $15 game that does not feel compromised or inferior to many $60 games because of intelligent design and priorities.

One thing I've not seen mentioned is how gorgeous the cutscene paintings are - wonderfully stylized and beautifully executed. Very fitting for the setting and tone, and a great way to avoid the work and expense of fully animated cinematics.

Fantastic sound package as well. The music has gotten a lot of love here, but the sound effects are also universally excellent. Every gun fires with authority, footsteps sound different depending on the surface, every environment filled with ambient sounds of nature. Top tier stuff - hats off to the audio designers.

So damn good - keep this thread rolling!

LiK

my only gripe with NG+ is no ability to turn off the parts where they force you to slow down for the story. not a big deal but would be nice to have that option for replays where the in-game narration can be skipped.

DukeBobby

Every time I play the Dances With Renegades chapter, I have to leave the loading screen on for a few minutes. The music is too good.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone have any idea how well this is selling?
It's still in the top 20 on Steam. For a while it was being beaten out by Van Helsing, another $15 that might have had a small discount, but now that Van Helsing is also $15, Gunslinger is winning.

Every time I play the Dances With Renegades chapter, I have to leave the loading screen on for a few minutes. The music is too good.
Yep, need a soundtrack please. :D

derFeef

I think the Grey Wolf mission is my favourite, but then I liked the whole game throughout, which is very rare for me.

Shaneus

It's still in the top 20 on Steam. For a while it was being beaten out by Van Helsing, another $15 that might have had a small discount, but now that Van Helsing is also $15, Gunslinger is winning.
Van Helsing is out? Isn't that in a kinda similar mold to this in that it's a lowish-budget title with low expectations?

Blizzard

Banned
Van Helsing is out? Isn't that in a kinda similar mold to this in that it's a lowish-budget title with low expectations?
Perhaps, though I think I read that Van Helsing isn't as good as either Gunslinger or Blood Dragon, and doesn't have a new game+ to speak of. Blood Dragon is the main other $15 game I've seen praised recently.

Blizzard

Banned
So which ending you guys got?
The first time on normal I got the ending with
revenge

I just finished a hard new game+ playthrough (the ending level was still a big pain for me), and went with the other ending...which I actually thought was awesome. For some reason I totally didn't catch (ending spoilers!!!)
the boy's name being Dwight the first time, even with the nugget of truth featuring Eisenhower, when I got the revenge ending. But in the redemption ending when he said he was Dwight Eisenhower, about to head to West Point...that was a really cool touch.

I won't have it said I left you with nothin'...BOB.

Blizzard

Banned
So two things.

One, playing a level as recollection, I wasn't able to use the skill menu at all, and no combos showed up. Is that just the first level?

Two, I'm failing a million tries trying to get the trick shot achievement with the first duel. I'm getting hand speed of 90-100%, and yet he shoots me almost instantly, without even doing the slow animation of his gun hand. Do you have to have high focus to make the enemy draw slower? If I have high focus then I can't see chickens. :(

With 90%+ hand speed but 50% focus so I can see chickens, I literally only get the red cursor for maybe 1/4 of a second before I'm dead, not even enough time to shoot a chicken let alone the enemy.

Just finished the game, wow that was awesome. The story was surprisingly good, got to say I liked it more than Red Dead Redemption in fact.

Blizzard

Banned
After many tries, I have absolutely no clue how you can get the trick shot achievement on the first duel enemy.

For those who have gotten it:
* Did you do it during normal game, or recollections, or duels? (I have no idea if recollections or duels use modified speed settings)
* Did you draw dishonorably or wait for the hand to move?
* What focus did you have? Hand speed and reaction time seem to do virtually nothing to stop you from dying in 1/3 or a second or less, and A/D dodges don't seem to ever do anything either.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
After many tries, I have absolutely no clue how you can get the trick shot achievement on the first duel enemy.

For those who have gotten it:
* Did you do it during normal game, or recollections, or duels? (I have no idea if recollections or duels use modified speed settings)
* Did you draw dishonorably or wait for the hand to move?
* What focus did you have? Hand speed and reaction time seem to do virtually nothing to stop you from dying in 1/3 or a second or less, and A/D dodges don't seem to ever do anything either.

End of the first mission or the first duel is the same. Do a dishonorable draw, you do need highish focus as it's the accuracy so it can be luck based as the guy doesn't pace the right way all the time. He needs to move so the chickens are around his feet, just focus more on the middle/bottom part.

You can dodge bullets during a draw by leaning with the stick which you may need to do.

Blizzard

Banned
How do you know which way to dodge? Or is it based on when you press the button? (I'm using mouse/keyboard) I think A or D started a lean once, but I've never gotten the sheriff to miss a shot.

Top Bottom