• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

antitrop

Sterling's review:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-call-of-juarez-gunslinger-254368.phtml

8.5/10

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger may be a downloadable title with a modest asking price, and it may be a short experience at around the two-hour mark, but it packs more entertainment into its humble package than all the other Juarez games combined.
Gunslinger's action is remarkably tight, well paced, and polished to a shine. The guns feel great to use, each of them powerful in the right range, but weak in the wrong. Enemies pour out regularly, and each shootout is pleasantly intense, with the kill feedback providing a ton of encouragement to keep the bullets flying.
While it sadly won't get much attention, given the fact it launched quieter than a church mouse with its mouth stapled shut, I wholly recommend it to fans, newcomers, and those who felt burned by the last awful game in the series.

Not only is Gunslinger the best Call of Juarez game, it's a damn fine and worthy shooter in its own right.

I don't know what he means by two hours, I have 4 clocked on Steam right now and I'm only 2/3 through the main story campaign and haven't touched the arcade mode.

Andrew.

Banned
Whats this 2 hours shit? I dont know how far along I am (just dueled it out with Johnny Ringo) but I've definitely put in at least four hours and haven't touched Arcade mode either

Funny how he mentions inspiration from Bastion (obviously because of the narration) but besides that, a few of the music tracks strongly reminded me of it.

Whats this 2 hours shit? I dont know how far along I am (just dueled it out with Johnny Ringo) but I've definitely put in at least four hours and haven't touched Arcade mode either

Funny how he mentions inspiration from Bastion (obviously because of the narration) but besides that, a few of the music tracks strongly reminded me of it.

Yeah that 2 hour mark is way off, it took me about 5 and half hours to beat it.

Good review otherwise.

O.DOGG

This game is the surprise of the year for me. It's been a while since I've had this much fun with an FPS. And the last time was most likely Call of Juarez Bound in Blood. So much value at this price.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good! And looks fun. I thought this was a on-rails shooter. Glad it's not.

Only two hours? Cant be right. Another review said 8-10hrs. Glad it's at least 5hrs.

This and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon are really good downloadable FPS. Keep it coming, both from Ubisoft! Perhaps these are experiments? Really good solid $15 shooters that focus on fun and gameplay without all the cutscenes and pretentiousness we see in modern shooters?

Looks like a formula for success.

As the others have already stated, it's around 5 hours. I played on normal and hardly collected the secrets.

And 5 hours to me is perfect it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

DukeBobby

Techland must be the most inconsistent developer ever.

Their games alternate between good and crap, with very little in between.

This little downloadable title is the best game they have ever released. Maybe they should stick to making these smaller, cheaper titles.

Andrew.

Banned
Techland must be the most inconsistent developer ever.

Their games alternate between good and crap, with very little in between.

This little downloadable title is the best game they have ever released. Maybe they should stick to making these smaller, cheaper titles.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Like, what other dev can you compare these guys' performance record to?

DukeBobby

Also, what the hell is up with their Chrome Engine?

Why does this and Bound in Blood look so good, while The Cartel and Dead Island games look like a dog's ass?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Also, what the hell is up with their Chrome Engine?

Why does this and Bound in Blood look so good, while The Cartel and Dead Island games look like a dog's ass?

I'd say the graphical quality between all of those is pretty even.

Downloaded the demo on PSN thanks to this thread. Really enjoyed it. Shooters typically aren't my thing, but I enjoy the way the narrative is told through flashbacks as the bar patrons listen and chime in from time to time.

Definitely going to buy the full game when I get around to picking up a PSN card.

Any way to turn off the border on the 360 version? Its really getting on my tits.

Not even for PC! Texmod doesn't seem to work for this game at all, sadly. Got it removed with Helix but can't get it to launch with the shader overridden. Can only cycle through and remove it with the debug version (not ideal). Not giving up though.
Sucks for your tits

So helpful, you are.

Oh please. Dont be a wet blanket. We're all havin fun here.

What the weapon of choice for you guys? I really cant quit the rifle.

Dual revolvers. I mostly stuck to the Rangers, but towards the end of the game I really started digging the Quickshooters.

Woooooooord.

Border\overlay removal

Just drop the files in your installation directory. Not compatible with SweetFX, as it uses d3d9.dll. Hoping for a better solution with Texmod but this works for now.

Nice! Didn't really mind the black borders too much, but I'll check it out.

Andrew.

Banned
Did Red Steel 2 (and I know thats kinda pushing it as a true Western) come out before Redemption? Has there really been any other worthwhile Westerns as good as this one since RDR? I'm drawing a blank yet I feel as though I'm missing something..

antitrop

Did Red Steel 2 (and I know thats kinda pushing it as a true Western) come out before Redemption? Has there really been any other worthwhile Westerns as good as this one since RDR? I'm drawing a blank yet I feel as though I'm missing something..

Red Steel 2 came out like a month before RDR. I haven't played it, but the reviews are respectable.

As far as I'm aware this is probably the best Western game since RDR.

Andrew.

Banned
Red Steel 2 is easily one of the best Wii games out there. Really solid game. It's a shame the first one tarnished the name.

Munin

I would highly recommend Bound in Blood to anyone who liked this game and hasn't played the earlier ones yet. It's a really underrated game. Let's all forget about The Cartel though

I would highly recommend Bound in Blood to anyone who liked this game and hasn't played the earlier ones yet. It's a really underrated game. Let's all forget about The Cartel though

Played BiB the day before Gunslinger came out and didn't like it, but I'm going to give it another shot.

lol @ the FOV

Again, Techland?

I'm hoping devs start to take notice of this trend. The fact that PC gamers throw a shit fit every time this happens is an obvious hint that this is a serious issue.

Metro Last Light - got an FOV patch after consumer backlash
Darkness 2 - got an FOV patch after consumer backlash
Zeno Clash 2 - got an FOV patch after consumer backlash

There are probably a ton more examples but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Zeliard

I'm hoping devs start to take notice of this trend. The fact that PC gamers throw a shit fit every time this happens is an obvious hint that this is a serious issue.

Metro Last Light - got an FOV patch after consumer backlash
Darkness 2 - got an FOV patch after consumer backlash
Zeno Clash 2 - got an FOV patch after consumer backlash

There are probably a ton more examples but those are the ones off the top of my head.

It's been consistent throughout this gen. We're at the stage where devs feel it's some point of pride to simply announce that their game will have FOV support, and that's if they don't ignore the issue entirely.

Andrew.

Banned
Just finished the Wesley Hardin chapter. Damn man, I definitely wasn't expecting it to end like that. The narrative -> gameplay curveballs this game throws at you is unlike anything Ive experienced in quite awhile.

And my god at the loading screen music for "Dances With Renegades".

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Red Steel 2 came out like a month before RDR. I haven't played it, but the reviews are respectable.

As far as I'm aware this is probably the best Western game since RDR.

Red Steel 2 had the best controls of any first-person game I've ever played on console.

Top Bottom