• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can 695$ PC outperform PS5 Pro?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That applied to consoles as well during lockdown. Not sure what that has to do with anything now though.

Pretty obvious dude; a PC is a modular device which means that you get to up/down/side-grade situationally. Like for instance discovering that you don't have enough VRam in your gpu for a certain title. So you're way more likely to run into situations with price variation -for whatever reason, and in whatever direction- than you would with a console; because that basically is-what-it-is for its entire lifespan.

It gets annoying seeing people try and prop-up their arguments by cherry-picking bargains that are often only available fleetingly against a background of mostly continual price-inflation.

Its dishonest. PC gaming is better the bigger the budget you have to spend on it. You cheap-it and you will get an inferior experience to those who spend more likely sooner and absolutely certainly later.

XXL

Do you get to keep these games after you unsubscribe? Haven't had PS+ in a long time, but last I did, you lost access to them.
Its still the same.

How long they can keep doing this, I don't know, but the value of PS+ games is more comparable to Game Pass where they're effectively rentals.
It's similar, but a bit different than Game Pass, when Game Pass games leave the service they're gone and unable to access. If you have PS+ you can always access what is in your library.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty obvious dude; a PC is a modular device which means that you get to up/down/side-grade situationally. Like for instance discovering that you don't have enough VRam in your gpu for a certain title. So you're way more likely to run into situations with price variation -for whatever reason, and in whatever direction- than you would with a console; because that basically is-what-it-is for its entire lifespan.

It gets annoying seeing people try and prop-up their arguments by cherry-picking bargains that are often only available fleetingly against a background of mostly continual price-inflation.

Its dishonest. PC gaming is better the bigger the budget you have to spend on it. You cheap-it and you will get an inferior experience to those who spend more likely sooner and absolutely certainly later.

It is not dishonest to say that deals happen more frequently with PCs than with consoles. That's simply a fact and doesn't automatically mean the person buying that PC is "cheaping it". There are expensive PCs on that very same site that have some decent discounts.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Before the gen ends, there will be games that PC won't run. There won't be a single game that the PS5 Pro won't run because games are built specifically for PS5.
If you're willing to go as low as console settings, any game will run from the beginning to the end and beyond of any gen on PC lol

laynelane

Its still the same.

It's similar, but a bit different than Game Pass, when Game Pass games leave the service they're gone and unable to access. If you have PS+ you can always access what is in your library.

A nice perk is that even if you drop PS Plus, any games you claimed will once again become available when you decide to subscribe again.

jumpship

I have no clue what Microsoft or 2002 have to do with a 2024 "Can 695$ PC outperform PS5 Pro?" thread. Aren't there already enough threads for console warring bullshit?
Apart from that we had lots of those calculations when Xbox went full pc as well.

You did bring the online multiplayer fee to the discussion. It's a discussion point I've noticed increased almost exponentially in recent times since it became obvious PlayStation would dominate Xbox in sales. It also never includes the value of games included with the service.

Unfortunately we've gone from (in your words) console warring bullshit to this weird unnecessary PC > console warring bullshit. The pretence that PC owners were above the warring went out the window since the Pro announcement.

I don't know how you haven't seen them as its been one of the biggest points PC gaming has done against consoles since Xbox Live was introduced.

Maybe I missed those discussions in the past. Fair enough. But it's never been as intense, frequence and targeted as now.

PC gamers can be quite peculiar. Aside from YouTubers creating content for views, what's the point of comparing a $700 gaming PC to the PS5 Pro? Who is this intended for? PC gamers wouldn't waste money on a subpar $700 gaming PC. Is it for gamers upset that the PS5 Pro is priced at $699 instead of $599? So rather than spending the extra $100, is the PC gaming community trying to attract these gamers with low-quality PC builds that they'd need to hook up to their TV—a process that can be cumbersome with a Windows machine, lacking the convenient suspend/resume features consoles have—or set up on a desk, requiring a monitor and PC accessories? There's no DualSense controller included in this build, so that's an additional $70 or more. It's such a strange argument.

Michelle Obama GIF by Election 2016

Exactly. Who is it for? No console owner cares or asked for these budget PC comparisons.

So I get to build a more expensive budget gaming PC from all these individual parts myself and get to wait for GTA6 and a two year or more wait till eternity for single player PlayStation games? What a deal!!!!!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sure, even on a $400 PC then...

LOL
It would if electronic components lower their prices as they did before lol. I still remember how it made no sense to go for consoles in 2011 considering PC hardware got dirty cheap, my GTX 560 I got at that time was only held back by VRAM (1GB) at the time for PS4 games in 2013, that's why I can't play 30 fps games unless absolutely necessary (Nintendo), I'm just too used to 60 fps from an age where PC gaming just made too much sense even financially, the evolution from 2006 to 2013 reached and even surpassed like 2 console gens. Right now everything is expensive, at least upgrading GPU or any PC component is still cheaper than a console for much more power (problem if you have to get a full new rig) :messenger_crying:

Edit: Oh, yeah, playing at 1080p, max settings and 60fps was so commonplace for most PC players that PS4 gen didn't start to show a big generational leap until only PBR got mastered by AAA studios.

Last edited:

Three

Discounts matter. You are much more likely to buy a PC on sale than you are a console.
Not true really. Wasnt the XSX and PS5 on sale for $350 not long ago? Not going to beat that sale price with a PC if sale prices are included.
PCs just have oddly timed sales because they become obsolete quicker at retail with more product launches from manufacturers and clearing old stock. Their sale prices are not that competitive still vs console.

Last edited:

HogIsland

Do you get to keep these games after you unsubscribe? Haven't had PS+ in a long time, but last I did, you lost access to them. It's not nothing, but Epic offers free games every week and you keep them. I got some bangers like Death Stranding, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, and a lot more. How long they can keep doing this, I don't know, but the value of PS+ games is more comparable to Game Pass where they're effectively rentals.
yep, you do lose access. a ps5 without a psn subscription feels noticeably crippled.

the EGS free games are a way better deal and I still don't fuck with them because it's just an enticement to a lousy platform. i just buy the games i actually want to play.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not true really. Wasnt the XSX and PS5 on sale for $350 not long ago? Not going to beat that sale price with a PC if sale prices are included.
PCs just have oddly timed sales because they become obsolete quicker at retail with more product launches from manufacturers and clearing old stock. Their sale prices are that competitive still vs console.

I'm not saying you'll ever find a PC price that will beat a console, on sale or otherwise. I'm just saying we can't just dismiss the fact that PCs go on sale more frequently. Yeah, probably right that PC manufacturer's to need to clear stock for new models. That's still good for PC consumers though. I'd rather buy a soon to be "obsolete" PC at a steep discount than pay full price for the latest and greatest.

HogIsland

I'm not saying you'll ever find a PC price that will beat a console, on sale or otherwise. I'm just saying we can't just dismiss the fact that PCs go on sale more frequently. Yeah, probably right that PC manufacturer's to need to clear stock for new models. That's still good for PC consumers though. I'd rather buy a soon to be "obsolete" PC at a steep discount than pay full price for the latest and greatest.
even an "obsolete" PC will continue playing new games longer than ps5 pro. eventually a console generation falls out of support even if the hardware is still capable. A 2016 gpu like the 1060 can still play new games like Pacific Drive or Hades 2, but these won't be playable on a PS4 Pro from the same year.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
man this constant small dick energy of these pc zealots really getting tiring

Its really silly. Its not like any console is a threat to PC gaming, and yet any observation that isn't glowingly positive gets treated like an attack!

Doubly so when the topic is PC-gaming on-the-cheap!

sachos

I want to see the day someone actually tries to build an equally priced PC including the price of windows, keyboard, mouse, mousepad and maybe a Dualsense too although that is not necessary to operate the PC. Its always so many caveats with these type of videos.
And then do the same but factoring in 8 years of PS+ for those that want to play online.

Last edited:

Bojji

Its really silly. Its not like any console is a threat to PC gaming, and yet any observation that isn't glowingly positive gets treated like an attack!

Doubly so when the topic is PC-gaming on-the-cheap!

What I see is console fans going haywire when anyone dares to say that PS5 Pro is not the second coming of Christ and points (many) flaws. Consoles always had advantage when it comes to this, price-performance ratio was unmatched but with Pro it's WAY closer now.

I want to see the day someone actually tries to build an equally priced PC including the price of windows, keyboard, mouse, mousepad and maybe a Dualsense too although that is not necessary to operate the PC. Its always so many caveats with these type of videos.
And then do the same but factoring in 8 years of PS+ for those that want to play online.

K&M are few dollars, mouspad? LOL.

Anyone can use Windows for free:

Interfectum

What I see is console fans going haywire when anyone dares to say that PS5 Pro is not the second coming of Christ and points (many) flaws. Consoles always had advantage when it comes to this, price-performance ratio was unmatched but with Pro it's WAY closer now.
I don't see many console fans saying the Pro is the second coming of Christ. Most people have been pretty critical since it's unveiling and pricing. What I do see are a bunch of PC enthusiasts promoting subpar $700 builds that no one asked for in some weird, cult-like attempt to lure console owners into their club.

Last edited:

Bojji

I don't see many console fans saying the Pro is the second coming of Christ. Most people have been pretty critical since it's unveiling and pricing. What I do see are a bunch of PC enthusiasts promoting subpar $700 builds that no one asked for in some weird, cult-like attempt to lure console owners into their club.

What? Console fans are trying to spin all negatives of pro into positives. They try to justify spending 700$/800E on it (or more with the disc drive) at launch for what? Few games with patches?

PC is objectively better platform (for consumers) than any console. Personally I don't give a fuck what devices people are using for playing games but I think many people just want to show that PS5 Pro is just bad value compared to PC (vs. good value PS5).

Bojji

My man there is nothing "objective" about that opinion because it is just an opinion.

it's not:

Free online, multiple store fronts and many ways of obtaining games (=lower prices), infinite enhanced BC, console emulation, multiple control options, mods, ability to set gfx/performance of any game to your liking (not forced to use whatever developer think is the best), ability to return digital games (depends on the storefront), 120Hz+/4K or more/better RT etc.

Probably many more that I forgot.

Biggest pluses for consoles are: unified achievements/trophy systems and physical games (that they want to kill, and fast).

Last edited:

Interfectum

it's not:

Free online, multiple store fronts and many ways of obtaining games (=lower prices), infinite enhanced BC, console emulation, multiple control options, mods, ability to set gfx/performance of any game to your liking (not forced to use whatever developer think is the best), ability to return digital games (depends on the storefront), 120Hz+/4K or more/better RT etc.

For those who don't care about all that PC flexibility, it's just unnecessary fluff. As mentioned, it's not accurate to label the PS5 Pro as a bad value compared to PCs, since value is subjective and depends on individual preferences and priorities.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
it's not:

It is.

And I can make a list too.

Consoles are cheaper, work better in living room environment, have access to physical games, are quieter, generate less heat, device can be navigated entirely with a controller.

So what? Nothing there makes a console as a whole "objectively better" than a PC. Nothing you listed makes a PC as a whole "objectively better" than a console. You might as well try to assert your opinion is fact. Fact of the matter is that this is entirely based on preferences.

Last edited:

Fess

I don't remember seeing these type of cost comparisons
I was there doing exactly that, but I was on console only back then. For someone playing online and planning to game for a whole generation Xbox 360 was more expensive than the 599 US Dollars PS3.
Still refuse to pay a cent to play online.

Last edited:

laynelane

it's not:

I don't pay for online because I don't use it and prefer buying physical - and I don't care about the rest of the points you made (not that they're not valid, just that they don't factor into my priorities). Therefore, console is better for me. You listed a bunch of things you value as reasons for why PC is "objectively" better than console. As Topher Topher said, it's your opinion. You're certainly entitled to it, but it doesn't apply to everyone else.

Bojji

It is.

And I can make a list too.

Consoles are cheaper, work better in living room environment, have access to physical games, are quieter, generate less heat, device can be navigated entirely with a controller.

So what? Nothing there makes a console as a whole "objectively better" than a PC. Nothing you listed makes a PC as a whole "objectively better" than a console. You might as well try to assert your opinion is fact. Fact of the matter is that this is entirely based on preferences.
I don't pay for online because I don't use it and prefer buying physical - and I don't care about the rest of the points you made (not that they're not valid, just that they don't factor into my priorities). Therefore, console is better for me. You listed a bunch of things you value as reasons for why PC is "objectively" better than console. As Topher Topher said, it's your opinion. You're certainly entitled to it, but it doesn't apply to everyone else.

If you like being slave to one company store/prices, politics and greed then whatever.

I listed things that "gamers" should care about, people that like games have more options and better value on PC. Not to mentions hundreds of thousands of games to access vs. tiny catalog on current gen consoles. I love constant bitching about lack of BC on consoles, haha.

You can also build your pc to be very quiet, this entirely depends on you.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Couldn't make it past 45 seconds before turning it off. Surely the way to counter annoying people online is to be equally annoying and insufferable. This post was not sponsored by Microcenter.

Lysandros

And Xbox Series X is more powerful than PS5.
That's not true on whole GPU/system throughput and architecture basis. I thought we were passed this faulty comparison 'method' of isolating one metric where one system happens to be ahead while turning a blind eye to others where the other system is actually faster to declare a power victor. It's a bit surprising coming from you after four years of countless posts laying out each system's hardware strengths.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
it's not:

Biggest pluses for consoles are: unified achievements/trophy systems and physical games (that they want to kill, and fast).
Come on man. Don't take part in this fanboy nonsense.

If you aren't going to match the specs as closely as possible why make the video in the first place? Slower memory and smaller SSD don't count lol.

Topher

Gold Member
Come on man. Don't take part in this fanboy nonsense.

lol...he's leading the parade my man.

That's not true on whole GPU/system throughput and architecture basis. I thought we were passed this faulty comparison 'method' of isolating one metric where one system happens to be ahead while turning a blind eye to others where the other system is actually faster to declare a power victor. It's a bit surprising coming from you after four years of countless posts laying out each system's hardware strengths.

Read what I was responding to. It was an example of judging a system entirely by specs alone.

Gaiff

Read what I was responding to. It was an example of judging a system entirely by specs alone.
Even on paper, the SX's GPU isn't necessarily more "powerful". It only is if you reduce the specs down to a single metric: compute. That's the point Lysandros Lysandros was making.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

I consider my work as a charge when building a PC.

The extra time it will take to pick out the parts, order the parts, build the computer and get it setup in a state where it could work as a console replacement, return any broken or damaged parts and replace them if there is an issue at boot or during stress testing - I charge 200 dollars for if I was doing it for someone else.

What would you charge, nothing?

Then there is the extra work of getting a couch UI mod for games that don't work well outside of a monitor config and dialing in the games.

Honestly, why do these people think I would be willing to do PC gaming just because I do console gaming? You think "it's the same thing"? A. No you do not think that, and B. It's not.

I dislike PC gaming, it hurts my back to set in the chair all hunched over on the monitor and it is tedious to get it setup and maintain it as a couch gaming machine. I have a gaming PC already better than PS5 pro. I just don't want to use it. I played wow since launch and every xpak since. I retired from PC gaming to console gaming, so why would I want to build a sub par gaming PC. If I build a gaming PC, I'm spending big because the way you stay in the PC gaming game is to buy once, cry once, and sell your old parts. What poor soul is about to get saddled with a shitty PSU or worse in a 699 dollar PC that only cares about the gpu?

If you are mad, just save one extra month and buy a PS5 Pro. It's only 100 dollars more than you would have been perfectly happy with. I swear, with PC sites who don't even like gaming "dunking" on other consoles lately, we are going to have to get them an avatar in the "platform wars".

How about the golden hedgehogs?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Even on paper, the SX's GPU isn't necessarily more "powerful". It only is if you reduce the specs down to a single metric: compute. That's the point Lysandros Lysandros was making.

Right, but my point was that early on before we actually had more access to the consoles, the conventional wisdom was that the XSX was more powerful than PS5. That turned out not to be the case once we actually saw how they performed.

It was just an example, but perhaps not the best.

Last edited:

Bojji

This is the weird thing about SX vs PS5. Usually GPUs with more TF have the same or better clocks and just more of everything (SMs, ROPs etc.), in this case clock on PS5 is considerably higher and that makes some parts of GPU perform better than on Series X despite big difference in compute units.

You are free to your opinion, but I have absolutely no idea what this is even referring to.

On PS5 you are forced to accept Sony prices, Woke politics, (lack of) refund policies, paying for online and cloud saves (and price increases for this at any point) etc. They can also shut down PS Store or ban your account at any point and you can't do shit. Same is true for Xbox. You don't have any alternatives with that pieces of plastic.

Consoles are build like PCs but super limited.

Last edited:

Gaiff

This is the weird thing about SX vs PS5. Usually GPUs with more TF have the same or better clocks and just more of everything (SMs, ROPs etc.), in this case clock on PS5 is considerably higher and that makes some parts of GPU perform better than on Series X despite big difference in compute units.
That's how people got caught. They looked at the PS4 vs Xbox One where the PS4 not only has a larger GPU, but it's also clocked higher, so naturally, everything is better. The rest of the GPU just scales like it should. The PS5 is a very interesting case where Cerny just went for maximum clocks. It paid off, but it could have also easily backfired depending on how games were made, but he probably already knew the gamble would work in his favor.

Topher

Gold Member
On PS5 you are forced to accept Sony prices, Woke politics, (lack of) refund policies, paying for online and cloud saves (and price increases for this at any point) etc. They can also shut down PS Store or ban your account at any point and you can't do shit. Same is true for Xbox. You don't have any alternatives with that pieces of plastic.

Consoles are build like PCs but super limited.

There are Steam games with "woke politics" as well. No one is "forced" to play them. Prices, no refunds, cloud saves, etc......all valid arguments, but no one is a "slave" to anything. I game on both PC and console so I can pick and choose for myself. Thankfully, I don't have anyone dictating how I "should" be playing.

Bojji

There are Steam games with "woke politics" as well. No one is "forced" to play them. Prices, no refunds, cloud saves, etc......all valid arguments, but no one is a "slave" to anything. I game on both PC and console so I can pick and choose for myself. Thankfully, I don't have anyone dictating how I "should" be playing.

You can only not be slave to Sony ecosystem by not buying their console. No other alternative with their hardware other than using only physical games but we know they are going to remove (or severely limit) this option on PS6.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Honest truth is I don't recall saying anything close to saying the Pro is the second coming! I think I've commented quite a bit about the price being relatively steep for a console (but not close to the most expensive ever when inflation-adjusted), and that basically better upscaling and bump to overall GPU performance is unlikely to be a bad thing.

My main thing has been stressing that the PS5 Pro has ONE JOB TO DO. Which, succinctly, is simply to play existing PS5 titles at higher fidelity.
That's it. That's all its going to do. Because the economics are such that the base model has to drive the Playstation "train".

I've ended up getting drawn into discussing PC related stuff because of this ridiculous defensive commentary COMING FROM the PC side about how they are still top dogs. Primarily it seems because Sony have had the nerve to try and sell a console at £700. Which I find pretty fucking comical considering that in my country a relatively mid Nvidia GPU like the 4070 costs more than that by itself! And as I've pointed out, the true high-end models cost triple that, just to do the exact same function faster.

As if anyone really needs faster rendering when most of the time they are going to end up playing ports of AAA console titles!

And seriously, you don't know what "flaws" the Pro has. Its not out yet. Its (patched) software is not out yet. Its firmware/drivers are not even day 0!

Sorry, but the way some people are trying to throw shade at this premature stage... it comes across as desperately insecure! Its cringe as fuck, like the kids say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom