• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can 695$ PC outperform PS5 Pro?

You’ve had your eyes closed. This forum is largely PlayStation centric.

As for these comparison videos you can expect a Switch 2 one as well. People will always make them, and they’ll get posted even though we’re comparing a game box to a computer.

Doesn't seem like it, as I've had 3 or more PC gamers getting triggered bc I would still choose a PS5 Pro over a PC.

mrMUR_96

IF we're doing this properly for pricing, the Pro has a 2TB NVME ssd. That alone is quite expensive. Windows OS isn't free (if we're doing this legitimately) and the Dualsense controller is like $60.
That GPU is about the same spec as the base PS5 lol and will be vram limited.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No it's not just me. There's lots of gamers who share my views, that's why PS5 is still doing well sales-wise. And I'll maintain that I will always pick quality over quantity. Of course Playstation has shovelware, but Steam has way, way more...that's why there's constant discounts on hundreds of games every week, bc no one wants to buy them.

Nah, you speak for yourself and no one else. Same for me. More quantity does not mean that there is less quality. Just more options. Discounts on games are not because shovelware exists. The discounts are due to amount of competition for your gaming dollar.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't agree here. That's one of the big advantages of a pc, you are not dependant on overpriced accessoires.

That’s the problem with these comparisons

It’s assuming that a console person could just easily change to PC and the cost isn’t much more if you make all these concessions that may make perfect sense for someone that is already indoctrinated into the pc ecosystem, but doesn’t make sense for someone used to playing on a console

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
That’s the problem with these comparisons

It’s assuming that a console person could just easily change to PC and the cost isn’t much more if you make all these concessions that may make perfect sense for someone that is already indoctrinated into the pc ecosystem, but doesn’t make sense for someone used to playing on a console
There will be no general comparison that makes everyone happy. Some will say you have to add 80 Euro for a DS, some say a 5 Euro Aliexpress controller is enough, some say 10 Euro M+K is enough. I think a compromise could be half of the 80 Euro, because for that money i can buy something decent like a Series controller.

Bojji

It is a requirement to make the comparison apples to apples.

A mouse and keyboard is not a Dual Sense controller.

Windows is not free to use, last I checked

And 1TB of storage is not equal to 2TB of storage

Mouse and keyboard is a required controller on PC, gamepads are optional.

Windows can be used for free: https://www.howtogeek.com/871189/you-can-install-and-use-windows-11-without-a-product-key/

Storage is not equal but i don't think anyone asked for this 2TF. Most people would probably prefer 1TB + disc drive SKU for Pro.

If you want apples to apples show me what I need to buy for my PS5 to be able to use mods in games, surf the internet (PS3 and PS4 had it, hahaha) and use stores to buy games other than PSS. Not to mention hundreds of other applications available on PC and not on PS5.

It will never be apples to apples thanks to that alone.

Nah, you speak for yourself and no one else. More quantity does not mean that there is less quality. Just more options. Discounts on games are not because shovelware exists. Come on man.
You'd be surprised there's a whole big world outside of NeoGAF that holds mainstream views like mine. Get out of your tiny bubble. :messenger_tongue: Just bc Galloping Ghost arcade has thousands of games doesn't make it more enticing, especially if all I want to play is Street Fighter 6. An all you can eat buffet isn't going to be appealing if all I want to eat is Chipotle.

Bitstream

I'll give you the windows activation, but by removing the dualsense ($75), and additional TB (~$50) of storage you're clearly moving the goalposts. On top of that, the PS5 Pro comes with astrobot, $60. Strip those away ($185) and the PS5 Pro now comes in at $515.
You might be able to get a 4070 for 500, but you're not getting a motherboard, ram, PSU, and case for 15 dollars.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You'd be surprised there's a whole big world outside of NeoGAF that holds mainstream views like mine. Get out of your tiny bubble. :messenger_tongue: Just bc Galloping Ghost arcade has thousands of games doesn't make it more enticing, especially if all I want to play is Street Fighter 6. An all you can eat buffet isn't going to be appealing if all I want to eat is Chipotle.

I'll agree to disagree on what the "mainstream view" is here or who is in the bubble. If all you want to play is Street Fighter 6 then you will not have any problem finding it on Steam or PlayStation. That's the case for the vast majority of games. The existence of shovelware doesn't change that.

FrankWza

I'll give you the windows activation, but by removing the dualsense ($75), and additional TB (~$50) of storage you're clearly moving the goalposts. On top of that, the PS5 Pro comes with astrobot, $60. Strip those away ($185) and the PS5 Pro now comes in at $515.
You might be able to get a 4070 for 500, but you're not getting a motherboard, ram, PSU, and case for 15 dollars.
Playroom update isn't it? not astrobot

Bojji

Isn't astro bot preinstalled on every PS5? So it's 60$? You can't even sell it if you don't like it.

DualSense is not a required gaming controller on PC, it doesn't even work in most games properly. What is required is M&K for a few bucks.

Last edited:

Bitstream

Playroom update isn't it? not astrobot
ah its playroom.

No extra $60 value then

You can keep retyping dualsense isn't needed as many times as you want, fact is even if you don't like it or don't want to use it, the controller has features - wireless, haptics, adaptive triggers, headphone jack. These features give it a value that isn't just replaced with a keyboard and mouse.

Additionally, buying one system, plugging in the power and starting it up VS assembling together a mishmash of products has a value associated with it. Being able to send the system to sony if any of the parts have an issue VS having to troubleshoot each piece and send it to the appropriate vendor has a value associated with it.

You don't have to like or appreciate it, but your feelings don't diminish that value.

Last edited:

Ebrietas

It does get cheaper than that.

Physical is done. Sony’s made it a separate purchase option on the Pro.

Not sure how physical equals “freedom”. PC has a very competitive digital marketplace. Console give you one place to buy digital from controlled by the manufacturer, and it’s all you’ll have when physical is dead and buried this Gen.
LMAO

So you spend $780 instead of $700 and get access to world of cheap gaming with used games and the ability to resell (and a 4K UHD blu ray player to boot). Steam is not competing with that. And on PC nothing is competing with Steam.

This is what freedom looks like. This is actual ownership of your media as well.

Jakk

Those are bizarre arguments given the need for PS Plus to play online and higher costs of games on consoles. Also, all console accessories like the stand, disc drive are overpriced. And I'm saying this as someone who is probably going to buy the Pro.

Bojji

LMAO

So you spend $780 instead of $700 and get access to world of cheap gaming with used games and the ability to resell (and a 4K UHD blu ray player to boot). Steam is not competing with that. And on PC nothing is competing with Steam.

This is what freedom looks like. This is actual ownership of your media as well.

Physical games are the best thing about consoles, but sadly they are getting killed by console manufactures and game publishers. They don't like that you can own their product.

On PC you can buy DRM free games and store them on your storage (or BD rom or whatever), they are yours forever. But of course not all games offer that option and this is fucked up (but pirates have a solution).

Last edited:
Alright, let's do this.

Screenshot-20240924-232529.png

Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LzC8Wt

PS5 Pro + BR Drive + Stand = $810

I haven't even included the PS+ (suffice to say more than half of PSN users sub to PS+ going by last year's last report of it being at 44 million+ subs) annual $80, till the PS6 launches, which will be an extra $240 (if it's in 2027, $320 if it launched in 2028).

Last edited:

Fess

I love the picking and building of PCs.

Hate doing the same for house projects lol
Yeah I love it! I would build another PC today if I just had reason to do it. But sadly I already have a regular desk PC and one for the living room, also have a couple Steam Decks, and a PC just for music production. Don’t know what else I need. 😕 Hoping Nvidia hit it out the park with their next graphics cards so I feel like I need to upgrade.

Jakk

Show me your physical PC game collection if your bringing up the cost of the disc drive when comparing the two.
Bruh, completely missing the point. You are not restricted to a single digital store operated by the platform holder when buying digital games on PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Actual you can use windows for free with a few concessions like you can't use themes. But you can play games with no issues.

It was mainly so devs could spin up test instances without needing to register each one.

Bojji

More like what would you choose 1TB or 2TB!!! Neither have a disc drive!!

Using smaller SSD would allow them to put disc drive in the box for the same price.

I'm old enough to remember times when there were multiple storage options for consoles:

91ep+mWIPYL.jpg
$_57.JPG

Bojji

Second option, I don’t use physical media

I was pleasantly surprised I wasn’t forced to buy a disc drive

But you are forced to pay for that storage upfront. PS5 always had option to upgrade with M2 drive (that are getting cheaper and cheaper).

Just few days ago I bought 1TB drive for it for 208zł (~54$), before that I used my old 512GB SATA SSD (via USB) to store PS4 games (for years).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
But you are forced to pay for that storage upfront. PS5 always had option to upgrade with M2 drive (that are getting cheaper and cheaper).

Just few days ago I bought 1TB drive for it for 208zł (~54$), before that I used my old 512GB SATA SSD (via USB) to store PS4 games (for years).

Yes and I want the extra storage

Crayon

Using smaller SSD would allow them to put disc drive in the box for the same price.

I'm old enough to remember times when there were multiple storage options for consoles:

91ep+mWIPYL.jpg
$_57.JPG

But if you are trying to build a pc as close as possible to match, cutting the storage in half is a cheat. It's like saying you can match it with a cheaper gpu because nobody asked for the one in the pro.

Mr.Phoenix

I'm not sure why you are alluding to me being disingenuous, when you are the one who is clearly pro PS and against PC, based on your posts I have seen on this forum. I have been playing on both PC and PS ever since PS2, so I don't know why should I be disingenuous when it comes to PS. And to be clear, I'm not suggesting you build a PC or whatever, I just think the PS5 Pro is overpriced for what it offers.
That's where you are wrong. I game on both PC and PS5.

I just have a blatant disdain and one that I have made very clear, for PC gamers that is always pushing a pro PC narrative and talking to or about console gamers like they are idiots.

To me, keep the PC talk outta consoles and the console talk outta PC.

And if you really have been shuffling through my posts... you would know this.

Last edited:

Bojji

But if you are trying to build a pc as close as possible to match, cutting the storage in half is a cheat. It's like saying you can match it with a cheaper gpu because nobody asked for the one in the pro.

4070 is stronger than PS5 Pro and offers DLSS Ray Reconstruction, you can't match that on Pro, same goes for milions other things PC can do and closed system of PS5 can't.

But fine, swap that SSD used previously for this:

tLRcltf.jpeg

And now PC is 18% more expensive (instead of 11%).

I'll agree to disagree on what the "mainstream view" is here or who is in the bubble. If all you want to play is Street Fighter 6 then you will not have any problem finding it on Steam or PlayStation. That's the case for the vast majority of games. The existence of shovelware doesn't change that.
Just saying you need to get out more :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm not debating there's shovelware in every library. I agree with you actually, just that there's more games are more appealing to me on Playstation than on PC. Steam's massive selection of games isn't a selling point. PC gaming just isn't my thing. Sorry if that bothers you, but just telling it like it is.

Topher

Gold Member
Just saying you need to get out more :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm not debating there's shovelware in every library. I agree with you actually, just that there's more games are more appealing to me on Playstation than on PC. Steam's massive selection of games isn't a selling point. PC gaming just isn't my thing. Sorry if that bothers you, but just telling it like it is.

I said a few posts ago that I'm not going to argue your personal preferences and I haven't so not sure why you are leaning on them. I'm also not the one making silly comments like "you need to get out more" so seems pretty obvious who is bothered here and it isn't me.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

I said a few posts ago that I'm not going to argue your personal preferences and I haven't so not sure why you are leaning on them. I'm also not the one making silly comments like "you need to get out more" so seems pretty obvious who is bothered here and it isn't me.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Using a sarcastic gif tells me otherwise, or like when you said "come on man" which sounds like you're getting frustrated with my viewpoints.

Like you said, let's just agree to disagree and if you're clearly not bothered then you would drop the sarcastic gifs.

Topher

Gold Member
Using a sarcastic gif tells me otherwise, or like when you said "come on man" which sounds like you're getting frustrated with my viewpoints.

Like you said, let's just agree to disagree and if you're clearly not bothered then you would drop the sarcastic gifs.

That isn't sarcasm. It is literally an expression of "oh well".

s0bqmNx.png

Isn't astro bot preinstalled on every PS5? So it's 60$? You can't even sell it if you don't like it.

DualSense is not a required gaming controller on PC, it doesn't even work in most games properly. What is required is M&K for a few bucks.

Anyone looking for a pc comparable to ps5 probably wants to play ummm ps5 games 😆 good luck playing tekken 8, gran turismo, nba 2k25, Astrobot and God of War with your 5$ keyboard 😆 it wouldn't even be enjoyable with a 100$ keyboard a dual sense or equivalent controller is necessary for anyone looking to get a "superior" ps5 experience on a comparable pc

Last edited:

Bojji

Anyone looking for a pc comparable to ps5 probably wants to play ummm ps5 games 😆 good luck playing tekken 8, gran turismo, nba 2k25, Astrobot and God of War with your 5$ keyboard 😆 it wouldn't even be enjoyable with a 100$ keyboard a dual sense or equivalent controller is necessary for anyone looking to get a "superior" ps5 experience on a comparable pc

You can get any controller, but everything is optional. You can play 99.9% of games using M&K.

Some cheap ass X360 pad is still great for PC gaming, works in every new game. Try using something other than DS on PS5, even DS4 is "banned" in new games.

You can get any controller, but everything is optional. You can play 99.9% of games using M&K.

Some cheap ass X360 pad is still great for PC gaming, works in every new game. Try using something other than DS on PS5, even DS4 is "banned" in new games.

Maybe if 99% of your games are fps and rts lol I mean you could play half life 2 on a n64 controller doesent make it at all enjoyable...anyone looking for a comparable or superior ps5 experience on pc is gonna need a dual sense or comparable controller

kevboard

Maybe if 99% of your games are fps and rts lol I mean you could play half life 2 on a n64 controller doesent make it at all enjoyable...anyone looking for a comparable or superior ps5 experience on pc is gonna need a dual sense or comparable controller

here's a superior controller for $30:
green.png

hall effect sticks, vastly superior D-Pad, better ergonomics, better battery life, extra remapping L4/R4 bumpers

alternatively, if the extra bumpers and hall sticks aren't important to you but gyro and Switch support is:
ultimate-c-bluetooth-blue.png

also $30.

if you want Hall sticks, back paddles, multiple profile slots and Xbox support (including impulse triggers):
slide-black.png

$36

all of them have a better dpad and the top and bottom ones better sticks than either official Xbox controllers or the Dualsense

Last edited:
Top Bottom