• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can 695$ PC outperform PS5 Pro?

snapdragon

Neo Member
Defend what, exactly? PS5 can also play all those PS4 games going back a decade, plus countless other playstation classic titles. It also has a significant number of first party titles ("exclusives", as you call them). PC also doesn't get Nintendo games - those are relevant, right? They don't get Sony games day 1, that seems like another relevant tradeoff.

Nevermind the fact that most people are not playing older games regularly, or the fact that PC doesn't have hardy any real exclusives that console gamers tend to enjoy. It's not enough for you people to enjoy your PC platform of choice, you always have to make it some sort of competition of "I'm always better than you at everything" and it's a completely dishonest conversation. There are tradoffs to each platform, and those that enjoy the console experience are not suddenly going to be enthusiastic about switching to a platform they have no desire to play on for a variety of reasons.

Oh, and you're justifying piracy? Isn't that a bannable offense here? Why don't you support the industry you claim to love.
Actually didn't know bringing up piracy was bannable,I'm going to edit those comments, sorry mods

And It's already been 5 minutes on them

Not sure what to do

You cant spend your time watching a few 10-30 minute tutorial videos for installing free windows and putting together a PC? For literally an hour of your time and a 100-200 more dollars you get a far more capable system with more games (especially free ones due to piracy esports and web games, far more features/usability, free online play and upgradability ensuring that your PC will be a long term investment.

It's sad to see console gaming dominated by 2 filthy rich multimedia companies who don't put out games, don't drop the prices of their systems, don't innovate and will charge ludicrous prices for future revisions of their hardware and they still retain fanboys/ignorant consumers will keep defending their practices

I hope the switch 2 absolutely rolls the ps5 and XSX

So how do you feel about Nvidia 🤑

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Exactly, the same way multiplayer gaming is not for everyone but it’s brought up as part of console costs as if PS+ is a mandatory requirement. Just look at the plethora of huge free-to-play games available you could get by not paying for multiplayer at all. Beyond the hardware it’s just individual user choices, not everyone needs multiplayer so the total costs change for those users and your previous online fee calculation wouldn’t be taken into account.
I started my post with "Let's say PS5 pro lasts 4 years and you want to play online". That is the calculation that makes the most sense to me, because EA Sports, RDR , GTA V, COD, RBS Siege, BF, 2K, Minecraft and many more are very popular and always under the most played games. I also offered you a calculation without online gaming and used discs.

There is no generally valid calculation. if you are interested in getting a pc over a console you have to do it yourself by your need. Here people only can offer calculations that makes the most sense to them and so did i.

Soodanim

The console vs PC debate will never end, because it will be forever fought by people that don't recognise that no one cares about how passionately they believe in their opinion.

The only fact that matters is that it's subjective. The value proposition differs from person to person, meaning that what is important to one person and makes the PS5 Pro the best option isn't going to be the preferred option for someone else who prefers a PC.

In short:

You're all right, but much more importantly: you're all wrong.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
To answer your question OP:

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

rnlval

Best build i could find for PS5 Pro money. What do you guys think? Does it comes close or even better than PS5 Pro?

Edit: specs-
Intel i5 12600KF
RTX 3060ti
16GB DDR4 3200 ram
1TB drive

For RT's triangle test, you would need CU/SM's 2 triangles per cycle RT core scaled to 60 CU or SM.

Crayon

You guys are making me go to pc parts picker. Lemme see...

Mmm. $1001.01 to get a good stand-in for the pro. Not too bad, really. You got to bring your own input devices, but I didn't cheat on the 2tb.

This also happened to be the lowest I can see worth building for aaa capability, including the 2tb.

God this site is so fun.

$508 for something I often recommend, though. In the case where a console only person is pc-curious, I like a companion box like this instead of dumping their console. Just buy your AAA games and whatever else you want to on your console where you're invested. At the same time, get acquainted to your new pc. Explore every advantage of pc gaming except the potential power everyone brags about. That's all you get for all the extra money.

At half the price you still have mods, emulation, steam and key resellers,tons of games that are not yet or never will be on console. And look at that math: $1000 down to $510. You saved the whole cost of a PS5, which you already have and like.

Jakk

Yes I watched it. I actually am subbed to him... but takes like these, from anyone... are always weird.
I still don't know what's so controversial about that video, maybe I missed it but I don't think he came to a conclusion. The title is clickbaity, though, welcome to youtube in 2024, I guess...
And why I say specs don't matter, is because we do not have a single PC GPU that is a proper like-for-like representative of what is in the pro. Nor do we have a game that has an unlocked fps running on the pro in its "pro" mode and is also on the PC that can be used as a benchmark.... yet. So yes, the specs don't matter right now. Because they are simply not giving us enough information.
Why should the fact we don't have a single PC GPU that is 100% equal to the one in PS5 Pro mean we can't do comparisons? On PC, there has almost never been a proper 1 to 1 GPU representative of what is in a console. Also, I don't see many people here mentioning the quite old Zen 2 CPU, which is in PS5 Pro. Like okay, fair enough, let's wait until the release to have more titles to analyze, but again, I really don't know what are you expecting to change. We have already seen some titles running on the Pro.
Again, value is a subjective argument. And pushing your idea onto others as a fact is a disingenuous thing to do. Eg... you see that question about enthusiast gamers with a digital-only library on PS? Well you just described me... I do pay for PS+ Extra, but not for the online per see because I only play to games online (Tekken 8 and GT7). I pay for it mostly for the games I get from it.... and each year I download at least 6-8 games from it.

Outside that, I have not bought a physical copy of a game since 2012 or so. Now does that mean everyone is like eme? or that my own values are more important than yours or others?
What idea did I push onto others as a fact? I didn't say all enthusiast users definitely have physical games. I was talking about the majority. Even if we forget about that, it's funny to sell a so called "Pro" console without a disc drive. You would expect the Pro version of some product to have all the available features.

I'm not sure why you are alluding to me being disingenuous, when you are the one who is clearly pro PS and against PC, based on your posts I have seen on this forum. I have been playing on both PC and PS ever since PS2, so I don't know why should I be disingenuous when it comes to PS. And to be clear, I'm not suggesting you build a PC or whatever, I just think the PS5 Pro is overpriced for what it offers.

Last edited:
You cant spend your time watching a few 10-30 minute tutorial videos for installing free windows and putting together a PC? For literally an hour of your time and a 100-200 more dollars you get a far more capable system with more games (especially free ones due to piracy esports and web games, far more features/usability, free online play and upgradability ensuring that your PC will be a long term investment.

It's sad to see console gaming dominated by 2 filthy rich multimedia companies who don't put out games, don't drop the prices of their systems, don't innovate and will charge ludicrous prices for future revisions of their hardware and they still retain fanboys/ignorant consumers will keep defending their practices

I hope the switch 2 absolutely rolls the ps5 and XSX
No I can't lol. I don't have that kind of patience, especially if I had a hard day from work and all I want to do is relax. It takes a lot of time to shop for parts and even more confusing to figure out which parts are compatible and trial and error. Why should I go through all that trouble just to play a videogame? I'm a simple guy. Less is more.

Right....so that most games that get developed will be held back by underpowered Switch 2 hardware. Oh hell no. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Last I checked, Switch is still $350 and the best games for it aren't anything you can't play on traditional hardware. Nintendo fans are so full of hypocrisy it's not even funny.

Vroadstar

This thing is going to be 600+ USD

You could sell your ps5 for 300 and use this 600 to get a pretty solid PC

Hope you're this financially conservative with modern consoles that have monthly online subscriptions, no price drops, no exclusives and have far worse price to performance than PC

$600 for a pretty solid PC they say 🤡 So this is what most PC master race looks like

Halloween Working Out GIF by Peloton

jumpship

A serviceable mouse and keyboard is l

PC's can play almost every relevant game ever released

It's delusional to compare the library of a console to the library of even a 500$ computer

The PS5 had 14 exclusives in 4 years, I can't believe people defend this.

I don't know how else to put it, glad you enjoy gaming on your Personal Computer. It's just not for me as a primary gaming device and never will be.

I'm just baffled if everything is so amazing over there in PC world why this insecurity about a recently announced console?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is such a dumb thing to dwell on or try to compare.

For one reason is because even if you can't build a pc that will this year doesn't mean you won't be able to next year and then even cheaper the next while the ps5 pro will be the same price for years.

And the biggest reason is .... it really doesn't matter! If the game runs well and looks good get which ever you want. which machine is absolutely better at that point only matters to you individually for fanboy reasons and not many other people care.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It’s definitely a flex, and I think your second point about being able to sell this stuff is nothing but a positive. I’ll happily do that when/if I don’t feel like using it anymore. And with the decrease in physical media being produced I might even profit.
when you find someone who will buy, please let me know. I have over 40 years of collecting game related “stuff” and no prospect of selling any of it.

I really missed the boat during the pandemic when game nostalgia peaked and retro prices shot through the roof.

Bojji

You know.....I wouldn't have a problem with anything you said here except for this ridiculous need to characterize people who game on a particular platform as a "slave".

If you want to say PC has more options for buying games then fine, I have no problem with that. Just say that and skip the hyperbole. I mean....to be honest, you are engaging in the kind of rhetoric that console warriors are notorious for. If you want to be the PC equivalent of that then that's your choice, I guess.

Sony forced me to keep most of my gaming on PC, they don't offer much right now for their loyal fans (I was one, believe it or not). I bought PS5 for Sony exclusives but so far there is not much of that, they are chasing some modern trends and completely forgot about their roots.

I use PS5 mostly to play new (disc) games that run good on this console, after playing them I can sell them (I have no need to keep them). That's the biggest plus of this console that Sony wants to kill ASAP. I don't think PS6 will have any value for me unless they change their strategy in the next few yours. But without aggressive MS in play I doubt it.

This is such a dumb thing to dwell on or try to compare.

For one reason is because even if you can't build a pc that will this year doesn't mean you won't be able to next year and then even cheaper the next while the ps5 pro will be the same price for years.

And the biggest reason is .... it really doesn't matter! If the game runs well and looks good get which ever you want. which machine is absolutely better at that point only matters to you individually for fanboy reasons and not many other people care.

801s46.gif

Robb

Gold Member
when you find someone who will buy, please let me know. I have over 40 years of collecting game related “stuff” and no prospect of selling any of it.

I really missed the boat during the pandemic when game nostalgia peaked and retro prices shot through the roof.
Nice try, I think I’ll keep those customers to myself thank you very much!
baboon-money.gif

The irony with having the ability to play virtually any game on PC is the paradox of choice. I mean, how many Steam gamers have hundreds of games sitting in their library that they don't even play? Seems kinda pointless. At least with the PS5's more limited selection, you can feel more committed to the games you buy instead of buying every single Steam game under the sun because hey, it's 50% off and not touching it for years.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The irony with having the ability to play virtually any game on PC is the paradox of choice. I mean, how many Steam gamers have hundreds of games sitting in their library that they don't even play? Seems kinda pointless. At least with the PS5's more limited selection, you can feel more committed to the games you buy instead of buying every single Steam game under the sun because hey, it's 50% off and not touching it for years.
You can't be serious.

You can't be serious.
Oh it's a very real thing, the more games you can play, the harder it is to decide which ones are worth your time.

The Wii may have more games than the Dreamcast, but the Dreamcast has more better quality games. Bigger library doesn't always equal a better platform. As I've said before, sometimes less is more.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh it's a very real thing, the more games you can play, the harder it is to decide which ones are worth your time.
Are you really making the argument that having less games is better than having more games? :goog_relieved:

The Wii may have more games than the Dreamcast, but the Dreamcast has more better quality games. Bigger library doesn't always equal a better platform. As I've said before, sometimes less is more.
Smaller library doesn't always equal a better platform either. In fact, quantity doesn't have anything to do with quality here.

Are you really making the argument that having less games is better than having more games? :goog_relieved:

Smaller library doesn't always equal a better platform either. In fact, quantity doesn't have anything to do with quality here.
Yes I am. If Atari made a flashback system that lets you play 7000 retro style games in one box, is that going to be more enticing? Idk about you, but certainly not to me. By the same token, the Galloping Ghost arcade....biggest arcade in the US with hundreds of games...took my little nephews there one time and after 30 mins they wanted to go home and play Roblox. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I said "sometimes" less is more, not all the time.

Last edited:

Ebrietas

The amount of insecurity on display from the so called master race is staggering.

You would think they would not even have the time for this with all the thousands of games they have spanning 30+ years.

Topher

Gold Member

Having more games to choose from is a nice problem to have. Not once I have looked at what is available on Steam and concluded that there needs to be less. Just don't think that is a good argument at all.

The consolle vs PC debate will never end, because it will be forever fought by people that don't recognise that no one cares about how passionately they believe in their opinion.

The only fact that matters is that it's subjective. The value proposition differs from person to person, meaning that what is important to one person and makes the PS5 Pro the best option isn't going to be the preferred option for someone else who prefers a PC.

In short:

Excited Lets Go GIF

Last edited:
Having more games to choose from is a nice problem to have. Not once I have looked at what is available on Steam and concluded that there needs to be less. Just don't think that is a good argument at all.

Excited Lets Go GIF
Not necessarily, I'd much prefer a platform with handful of games worth playing than one with lots of shovelware. Steam may have lots of games, but a majority of them I could care less about and the ones that do pique my interest happen to be on consoles anyway, that's why I'd still pick the PS5 Pro over a PC.

The amount of insecurity on display from the so called master race is staggering.

You would think they would not even have the time for this with all the thousands of games they have spanning 30+ years.
Some PC gamers have serious control issues. Interestingly, I've never seen a PS5 fan try to push a PC gamer into getting a PS5 over a PC.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
These videos are always pointless, because a regular person is buying individual PC parts themselves, which the companies are all making a profit on each component.

It’s a very big difference from buying a piece of subsidized hardware, where the manufacturer is selling to you at a discount because they know they’ll make it up with games and services.

PC is cheaper when it comes to buying games, and not needing to pay for services just to have cloud saves and play online.

Topher

Gold Member
Not necessarily, I'd much prefer a platform with handful of games worth playing than one with lots of shovelware. Steam may have lots of games, but a majority of them I could care less about and the ones that do pique my interest happen to be on consoles anyway, that's why I'd still pick the PS5 Pro over a PC.

Eh.....if PS5 suits all your personal needs then that is fine, but that's just you my man. Not going to argue personal preferences. Every system that is remotely popular is going to have a ton of shovelware, PlayStation included. Steam certainly is going to have more due to the ease of publishing games there, but the vast majority of shovelware on any system is never going to find itself junking up prominent positions in any store. It is there and most will never see it. Regardless, I'll maintain that a wider selection is a positive, not a negative. But sure......if you want less to choose from then that's you.....I guess.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Some PC gamers have serious control issues. Interestingly, I've never seen a PS5 fan try to push a PC gamer into getting a PS5 over a PC.

You’ve had your eyes closed. This forum is largely PlayStation centric.

As for these comparison videos you can expect a Switch 2 one as well. People will always make them, and they’ll get posted even though we’re comparing a game box to a computer.

Last edited:

Ebrietas

These videos are always pointless, because a regular person is buying individual PC parts themselves, which the companies are all making a profit on each component.

It’s a very big difference from buying a piece of subsidized hardware, where the manufacturer is selling to you at a discount because they know they’ll make it up with games and services.

PC is cheaper when it comes to buying games, and not needing to pay for services just to have cloud saves and play online.
Buying physical on console is the cheapest way to play games if you insist on counting every penny spent.

Online MP is not a requirement. Neither is cloud saves. You can argue value all you want but that is completely subjective. Consoles also do things your PC can’t. Fact of the matter is that consoles are the cheapest way to play non mobile games. Not a PC built around some 1000+ nvidia gpu.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The consolle vs PC debate will never end, because it will be forever fought by people that don't recognise that no one cares about how passionately they believe in their opinion.

In short:

Pernille Harder Football GIF by VfL Wolfsburg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Buying physical on console is the cheapest way to play games if you insist on counting every penny spent.

Online MP is not a requirement. Neither is cloud saves. You can argue value all you want but that is completely subjective. Consoles also do things your PC can’t. Fact of the matter is that consoles are the cheapest way to play non mobile games. Not a PC built around some 1000+ nvidia gpu.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Also hate to break it to you but physical’s done for.

As for not using cloud saves or strictly playing FTP multiplayer…yeah lol. Thats like buying an off road vehicle and just driving it to church once a week.

Ebrietas

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Also hate to break it to you but physical’s done for.

As for not using cloud saves or strictly playing FTP multiplayer…yeah lol. Thats like buying an off road vehicle and just driving it to church once a week.
Buy games used and sell them after you are done. Doesn’t get cheaper than that.

Physical hasn’t gone anywhere on console. It’s only done for on PC, the supposedly magical land of freedom.

PS+ subs are only around 40 million. There are well over 100 million console users.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Buy games used and sell them after you are done. Doesn’t get cheaper than that.

Physical hasn’t gone anywhere on console. It’s only done for on PC, the supposedly magical land of freedom.

It does get cheaper than that.

Physical is done. Sony’s made it a separate purchase option on the Pro.

Not sure how physical equals “freedom”. PC has a very competitive digital marketplace. Console give you one place to buy digital from controlled by the manufacturer, and it’s all you’ll have when physical is dead and buried this Gen.

Last edited:

Bojji

Do you still need to pay to play games online on consoles? How much is it?

More and more with each price increase. Currently low tier PSN is:

WZksADu.jpeg

Consoles used to be (sometimes much) cheaper but with absurd price of Pro Sony entered the realm of: "I can build PC with this kind of money". In Europe you can build PC with 4070 for just 11% more money than Pro without the disc drive.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Consoles used to be (sometimes much) cheaper but with absurd price of Pro Sony entered the realm of: "I can build PC with this kind of money". In Europe you can build PC with 4070 for just 11% more money than Pro without the disc drive.

Receipts please

Not that it matters, someone that wants to play a console isn’t suddenly going to want to go the PC route.

Oliver on DF explained it perfectly @ 8:15 here.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Best build i could find for PS5 Pro money. What do you guys think? Does it comes close or even better than PS5 Pro?

Edit: specs-
Intel i5 12600KF
RTX 3060ti
16GB DDR4 3200 ram
1TB drive

And the control? You must add it's cost. No PC comes with a control.

Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Eh.....if PS5 suits all your personal needs then that is fine, but that's just you my man. Not going to argue personal preferences. Every system that is remotely popular is going to have a ton of shovelware, PlayStation included. Steam certainly is going to have more due to the ease of publishing games there, but the vast majority of shovelware on any system is never going to find itself junking up prominent positions in any store. It is there and most will never see it. Regardless, I'll maintain that a wider selection is a positive, not a negative. But sure......if you want less to choose from then that's you.....I guess.
No it's not just me. There's lots of gamers who share my views, that's why PS5 is still doing well sales-wise. And I'll maintain that I will always pick quality over quantity. Of course Playstation has shovelware, but Steam has way, way more...that's why there's constant discounts on hundreds of games every week, bc no one wants to buy them.

Bojji

You’re missing a controller, you’re missing 1TB of SSD, you’re missing the cost of windows

Sure, just omit your costs to try and make them seem more comparable when they’re not

Windows is free to use. You can use 5$ M&K to control all games.

1TB of SSD? You can play any games on that high performance 1TB NVME I used, more storage just gives you more convenience but it's not required.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Windows is free to use. You can use 5$ M&K to control all games.

1TB of SSD? You can play any games on that high performance 1TB NVME I used, more storage just gives you more convenience but it's not required.

It is a requirement to make the comparison apples to apples.

A mouse and keyboard is not a Dual Sense controller.

Windows is not free to use, last I checked

And 1TB of storage is not equal to 2TB of storage

Top Bottom