• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Sony release two SOCs and let developers support a one of them?

Parazels

There are rumors about home console+handheld from Sony. And concerns, that it can generally affect graphics and performance, if the same game must run on both devices.

But what if Sony let developers release some games on both SOCs, and some games only for a home console to utilize its full potential?

I think it would be a little confusing, but right decision overall.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really hope the whole console + handheld rumor isn't true, it's gonna suck no matter how they do it. If all games must run on both, the handheld will hold everything back. If developers are free to make their game for just one of them, then you must own both to have access to everything you might want to play. Or one might get much more support than the other.

Parazels

I really hope the whole console + handheld rumor isn't true, it's gonna suck no matter how they do it. If all games must run on both, the handheld will hold everything back. If developers are free to make their game for just one of them, then you must own both to have access to everything you might want to play. Or one might get much more support than the other.
In this case the home PS6 will definitely get all games. So it's not necessary to buy the handheld.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PS6 handheld with PSSR + probably 30fps could work, together with a PS6 console.

I think there could be a problem if Sony release a PS6 PRO afterwards though, the PS6 handheld ports may be a headache for the devs though.

Last edited:

Parazels

So why even make one if it's going to be the abandoned stepchild like the PSVR2?
You comparison is not valid. Headset is a more specific device, than a handheld.

PS6 handheld and PS6 would have similar architecture, similar button layout etc, so 90% of games would launch on both anyway.

Orbital2060

Most likely the two SOCs refer to a budget and premium version of the PS6.

If its an handheld, they will need a separate software production line for that. Which might be the case, but most likely its something similar to Series S and X.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You comparison is not valid. Headset is a more specific device, than a handheld.

PS6 handheld and PS6 would have similar architecture, similar button layout etc, so 90% of games would launch on both anyway.

Then the handheld would hold games back. There's going to be such a gulf in performance between them that I don't see any other outcome.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, a solution like the PS Portal is much better in this regard.

Now, if Sony can enable cloud gaming option - likely linked with PS+ Premium - on PS Portal, while still being financially responsible, I think that'd be the best option. It'll be the best of both worlds.

- A portable gaming device that can seamlessly shift from local streaming for best results (PS remote play) and cloud streaming (PS+ Premium) for true portability.
- A hardware ecosystem that doesn't make it difficult for developers, doesn't hold back games, and doesn't create confusion among gamers.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
People don't realize that the PS5 generation is going to be viable until probably 2033 or 2034. The cross-gen period is going to be way longer than this generation, imo. The PS6 will possibly come out as early as 2028, but it will focus on enhancements of games, not exclusive games for the platform, at least for the first 4-5 years

A 2026 or 2027 release for a handheld makes sense. Which would make it viable for 6-7 years for all games. This sounds terrible, but it is probably very important to keep the industry healthy

Last edited:

Stu_Hart

No. It would not be fair to the weaker soc. Devs have hinted multiple times that they are not happy with the series s/x parity thing. Devs also don't like mid gen refreshes. Just release 1 console, see it through the end, and optimise the hell out of it.

Emet_bp

There is a solution. More demanding games, that are imposible to downgrade enough to run on a mobile console (let's say PSP2) without hurting the gameplay could be streamed from the cloud, like some ports on the Switch. Lighter and PS5-PS6 cross gen games would run nativiely with just lower graphics settings and resolution.

Loxus

The 2 SOC could be 2 chiplets for one console.

The PS Portal 2 seems to be the most logical step after the success of the first one.

Last edited:

Fess

No. It would not be fair to the weaker soc. Devs have hinted multiple times that they are not happy with the series s/x parity thing. Devs also don't like mid gen refreshes. Just release 1 console, see it through the end, and optimise the hell out of it.
It’s no problem if devs aren’t forced to make games running well on the weaker platform. See PC and Steam Deck. Sometimes games run well, sometimes they don’t, it’s okay, and Steam Verified ✅ is used as a late secondary PR push.

Nope.

They need to clarify what games will come to weaker hardware before I commit.

Its a closed garden console. Can very easily fall out of favour and sales. Would get zero support if that happens.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
People don't realize that the PS5 generation is going to be viable until probably 2033 or 2034. The cross-gen period is going to be way longer than this generation, imo. The PS6 will possibly come out as early as 2028, but it will focus on enhancements of games, not exclusive games for the platform, at least for the first 4-5 years

A 2026 or 2027 release for a handheld makes sense. Which would make it viable for 6-7 years for all games. This sounds terrible, but it is probably very important to keep the industry healthy

PlayStation is turning into a MAU platform. An advantage that PC gaming had for YEARS.

What do I mean by this? The perfect examples of this are GT6 and God of War 2.

Gran Turismo 6 release on the PS3 in December 2013... The PS4 had already launched almost a month earlier...People had to decide whether they would stick things out with their PS3 or move on to the PS4 but not be able to play GT6.

God of War 2 launched 4 months after the PS3 launched and it was a PS2 game... Fortunately, you could play God of War 2 on launch PS3s. God of War 2 would have been a great launch title for PS3, but then you lose out on the massive userbase of the PS2... largest in history (though how many of them were all gamers vs DVD player owners but I digress).

PC games have the advantage of ALWAYS selling to a large userbase no matter where you are in the console cycle. For the first time ever that will be consistently true of consoles, with the exception that console gamers buy more games and at higher prices than PC gamers.

Closer

We have two possibilities:

1- It's gonna be abandoned like the PSVR2;
2- It's gonna be abandoned like the PSVita.

Which one is the better outcome?

Last edited:

Radical_3d

You don’t have to force anything if you’re smart. Copy whatever the Switch 2 is doing as close as possible with nVidia and that’s it: insta third party support!

Given how brutal the costs look like on future nodes, the Series S/X situation almost has to happen since I don't think a $899+ base console works at all.

I was thinking that Sony might actually release 3 consoles, the handheld, the "Series S" using the handheld's SoC but with higher clocks, and the actual new console. All would be in the same generation.

Parazels

Given how brutal the costs look like on future nodes, the Series S/X situation almost has to happen since I don't think a $899+ base console works at all.

I was thinking that Sony might actually release 3 consoles, the handheld, the "Series S" using the handheld's SoC but with higher clocks, and the actual new console. All would be in the same generation.
No way. It's confusing as hell and leaves no room for PS6 PRO.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

“I know what will work, a more confusing version of the strategy that did not work for MS”… MS plants or just hatred of the console business model and you wish to see it burn 😂?

Elios83

It's far too premature to talk about this. It's not even confirmed if the rumor is true but people these days run away with whatever they read.

In general it's clear that console manufacturers will have a pricing strategy issue next gen.
The traditional console hardware business model based on selling hardware at a loss at launch and then wait for quick die shrinks to be able to make both price cuts and sell the hardware at break even if not at a small profit, is *over*.
Technology doesn't support that anymore.

So the reality is that a dual SKU strategy is the only one that can allow to have both something that doesn't cost more than 500$ at launch to promote widespread adoption and having something more powerful (what the hardware should really be) at a 600-700$ price.
The key is not doing what Microsoft has done.
The two models have to be perceived like the PS6 and the PS6 Pro and not like Series S and Series X aka the turd model and the good hardware.

About the handheld...there are no development resources to support multiple platforms with different games and Sony knows it perfectly. Just like happened with Vita and PSVR2 it would be pointless.
A handheld could work if it's Iike a Steamdeck where basically it runs the same games with reduced settings and if something doesn't work well or at all you have to accept it.
Here Sony is also at a disadvantage because they don't have a PC version of all their games by default so they would have to make something specific for the handheld.
So this handheld idea doesn't seem too great for them.

Depends, remember they can be doing a Hybrid Console / Handheld and a Home console.

Or launch a standard model and the Pro model right away.

But honestly it’s too early to talk about this, regardless to what happens as long as it’s Mark Cerny and his team working on this we are good and don’t have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It’s too early for any viable PS6 rumours, that would be like hearing about the PS5 Pro at PS5 launch. If you heard something it’s fake.

Sorcerer

Too many lessons that should be heeded:

Nintendo dropped the idea of a separate handheld and main console. If they found it difficult, then good luck Sony.
We see the headache the series s is causing for developers.
Sony has adhd and finds it difficult to support anything but the main console.

Sony should just stay in its lane, you would think that they have the resources, but even with that it seems they soon find themselves spread too thin.

Last edited:

Parazels

The two models have to be perceived like the PS6 and the PS6 Pro and not like Series S and Series X aka the turd model and the good hardware.
Was a PS5 (five) PRO possible in 2020 at all?
Let alone the $700 price tag!
I absolutely dislike the idea to release a PRO console at the same time as a base console.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Too many lessons that should be heeded:

Nintendo dropped the idea of a separate handheld and main console. If they found it difficult, then good luck Sony.
We see the headache the series s is causing for developers.
Sony has adhd and finds it difficult to support anything but the main console.

Sony should just stay in its lane.

I see this constantly repeated.

The problem with the Series S was not conceptually, it was execution. If the Series S had more/better memory, it would be the legitimate 1080p-1440p version of the Series X. The problem is Microsoft wanted the Series S under a certain BOM but under a certain price.

Sony simply needs to deliver to spec regardless of price and they can deliver a separate handheld that plays the same games as the main console at lower resolution and potentially frame rate.

The most interesting factor of a handhelds price is going to be the price, which Sony will have at least a year of data on based on Nintendo's Switch 2 performance.

Elios83

Was a PS5 (five) PRO possible in 2020 at all?
Let alone the $700 price tag!
I absolutely dislike the idea to release a PRO console at the same time as a base console.

Not with AMD hardware indeed.
But again as much as the idea can be disliked in 2027-2028 it won't be possible to offer high end hardware at 500$.
Either people embrace the higher prices or a multiple SKUs approach (hoping there is not something Series S) will become standard.

pasterpl

God of War 2 launched 4 months after the PS3 launched and it was a PS2 game... Fortunately, you could play God of War 2 on launch PS3s. God of War 2 would have been a great launch title for PS3, but then you lose out on the massive userbase of the PS2... largest in history (though how many of them were all gamers vs DVD player owners but I digress).
It sold 4.2M units which is less than God of War 1 to that massive userbase.

welshrat

What do people make of the supposed PS6 early prototype that was shown behind closed doors at tgs ? Surely there isn't any silicon at this stage is there ?

Loxus

What do people make of the supposed PS6 early prototype that was shown behind closed doors at tgs ? Surely there isn't any silicon at this stage is there ?
Seems possible.
Being a prototype doesn't mean final product and can have multiple revisions.

PS5 had at least 1 major revision, which added RT.

Top Bottom