• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Sony release two SOCs and let developers support a one of them?

Felessan

The PS4 Pro is supposedly 4.2 TFlops. The AMD Z1 Extreme is 8.6 TFlops at 30W. The ROG Ally X (Z1 Extreme) had Alan Wake 2 running for two hours, and other stuff hitting over three hours. We've already surpassed that. The Switch was around three hours in BotW at launch.
It's 700g - way out of handheld league. You can get a proper notebook at almost the same weight.
In 4 years we will get in good scenario +50% power efficiency compared to now - it'll make 30W now into 20W then - still kinda out of normal tdp for proper handheld (i.e 10-15W and 250-300g weight max)

Yeah, a solution like the PS Portal is much better in this regard.

Now, if Sony can enable cloud gaming option - likely linked with PS+ Premium - on PS Portal, while still being financially responsible, I think that'd be the best option. It'll be the best of both worlds.

- A portable gaming device that can seamlessly shift from local streaming for best results (PS remote play) and cloud streaming (PS+ Premium) for true portability.
- A hardware ecosystem that doesn't make it difficult for developers, doesn't hold back games, and doesn't create confusion among gamers.
Problem with that is it would require a data line for "True portability" Another data line subscription is a tough ask. I bought the vita lte version back in the day, and never used it that way due to the insane cost for the data charge.

A ps handheld is a touch sell today. They don't make the number of games they did. They don't make enough titles and they failed at vita and psvr2 as they are shit at making two groups of games.

What would be cool is a handheld that plays old console games, ps1-> ps2.psp/vita, ps3 and ps4. Add more games to the digital store from past gens as they are lazy with the emulation. I'd buy a psRetro handheld

S0ULZB0URNE

I mean...
duh-well.gif

Parazels

A ps handheld is a touch sell today. They don't make the number of games they did. They don't make enough titles and they failed at vita and psvr2 as they are shit at making two groups of games.
PS6 and PS6 handheld will share the same architecture. They don't need two groups of games.

I'm not sure I believe that Sony would have the handheld be dockable. You can get away with a lot more on a small screen be it just 720p or 1080p. But people are fine with the PS5 outputting that already and just scaling it up. 🤡
It would make absolute sense to make it dockable. Why remove a feature that would bridge the gap between handheld and home console for people who arent fully decided? They could iron out the scaling issues somehow.

What I would find interesting is if they made a proprietary eGPU dock station combo that would buff it up to the console specs. I know its not a new concept but I could see them ripping off the idea for their product line. And each would cost a million dollars naturally.

Loxus

After reading most post, I have a question.

Why did Sony make the PS Portal and not a dedicated handheld?

They could of easily made a handheld more powerful than the Steam Deck at $400 - $500.

SScorpio

That was the prime time and strategy to release a dedicated handheld to get as much sales as possible before Switch 2 is released.
The Steam Deck shipped Feb 2022. That's just over two and half years. While there were some handheld PCs before it, nothing took off like it did.

It takes several years to spec, design, and then mass product a console. Sony and Microsoft are both at least prototyping handhelds. But the time release it would make it not make sense to release it unless it's along side the next generation console.

Maybe prime time for entry level handhelds, but when the big dogs want to enter the race, they have to ensure that it will outperform and overshadow the existing ones, as well as last an entire generation against future smaller competitors.

And switch 2 isnt something they have to race to get ahead, I think its a consensus that switch is not necessarily a technological conpetitor. Sony can use their R&D and wait for the next generation to create a wow factor that will make it a must have product. The Portal was most likely a mid gen compatibility guage to assess interest and feasibility (like a prototype).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
After reading most post, I have a question.

They could of easily made a handheld more powerful than the Steam Deck at $400 - $500.

Guessing you’re too young to remember the PSP and PS Vita. They showed that Sony doesn’t understand the handheld market at all

Felessan

Portal just dualsense with screen and mobile chip for streaming. It's price, RnD cost and RnD times completelly different from dedicated handheld.
And more important - Portal doesn't need games running natively on it, and its IQ is close to PS5 levels that hardly possible on handheld, the problems Sony should solve with handheld.

Loxus

Portal just dualsense with screen and mobile chip for streaming. It's price, RnD cost and RnD times completelly different from dedicated handheld.
And more important - Portal doesn't need games running natively on it, and its IQ is close to PS5 levels that hardly possible on handheld, the problems Sony should solve with handheld.
In a way, PS Portal is already Sony's answer to Nintendo's Switch based on the bold, just the opposite.

Both have one main chip for developing on. The Switch's main chip is in the handheld, then docks for a console experience.

With Sony, the main chip is in the console, then connects to the PS Portal for a PS5 console level experience in a handheld.

Sony know better than me on what they'll do for the PS6 generation. I just hope they don't make the same mistakes as the XBSS and PS Vita.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I believe that Sony would have the handheld be dockable. You can get away with a lot more on a small screen be it just 720p or 1080p. But people are fine with the PS5 outputting that already and just scaling it up. 🤡

Why wouldn't it be a dockable? A dockable handheld just gives them more options, same with customers, and also makes the product more appealing overall. The point of the dockable in this case would be to enable higher performance without worrying over thermal limits & battery life when portable.

Plus other options, like providing more storage options and ethernet support. I'd be quite interested if Sony/SIE could do a portable with a segmented approach where the parts combine together into a portable format, such as having the screen be a separate component attachable to a processing base, and swappable button modules. There hasn't really been a portable yet like that (hell, maybe Switch 2 is doing something like this?), and I think this way you could in theory make an option for a lower-cost home system by just getting the processing base and the dock, then combining them together.

If you want to make it portable, then take the base off the dock and slap the screen on the base, swap in some button modules and you're good to go. The way I'm describing it now really seems like something Nintendo would do, but barring they don't with Switch 2, it could be a neat concept for a new PlayStation handheld (or even the rumored Xbox handheld).

Let Sony focus on powerful home consoles and Nintendo on their handhelds. Historically that has worked best.

That won't be realistic for much longer. Sony can't keep pursuing "high-end" performance home consoles to the point where they price out most of the lower-end market, and Nintendo will eventually have to shift hardware performance upward to meet what's considered a new baseline, which also increases game budgets some.

Hardware is no longer the limiting factor in AAA game visuals & performance. Time of development, budget costs, and amount of required manpower are the real reasons it's taking longer and longer to get those big AAA games. The main benefits future hardware can bring are in areas of RT, frame generation, AI image filter generation, areas of automated LOD generation in real-time, etc. Things best served with dedicated silicon and specific software packages.

I'm not going to be surprised if the next Xbox console-like system and even the PS6 are not leaps above PS5 Pro when it comes to pure TF, or don't have a 4x increase in memory bandwidth, or 64 GB of RAM etc. That's not going to suddenly get us games that look like Endgame or Avatar 2. Smarter technologies that cut down significantly on TOD, budget, and required manpower (but in non-scummy ways) are what will help in that. Which would mean everyone can develop games much faster and at more sensible budgets over the long-term.

And as for Nintendo specifically; they are a toy company at heart and I mean that in a good way. It means they will always find ways of viewing games from an aspect of fun and wonder, which reflects in their hardware, which then reflects in their software and the inverse being true. There's no other company in gaming with that type of spirit, particularly when married with Nintendo's catalog of games. So it doesn't matter if they start making semi-home consoles or even home consoles wholly again, or if Sony start making portables again. I don't think that's going to cause either to suddenly forget where their strengths are, and to synergize them with what they do going forward.

Top Bottom