• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ubisoft survive? and if not, would you miss Ubisoft?

If it was 10 years ago then I would be bothered if it collapsed but not now. The new Prince of Persia is the only great game they have Made in the last couple of years. Somebody should pick up that studio.

Pandawan

Neo Member
Would you miss Ubisoft?
It depends on what Ubisoft we are talking about. If we are talking about modern Ubi, who makes only scummy, overlonged, open world games, to sell microtransactions, i don't care of they disappear at all.

But if there is a chance that Ubsoft can go to its roots and again make games like og Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Beyong Good and Evil, Driver etc, i will miss.

Last edited:

Rambotito

I loved The Division games and AC : Origins was a blast. But the thing is that Ubisoft keeps reiterating their games for their sequels so I get burnt out very quickly. While Origins was perfect for me, Odyssey was a slog due to everything being reused and repeated with only a few minor changes.
If Ubisoft broke up I wouldn't cry in my sleep, but I wouldn't dance on their grave, either. They are the classic paradigm of AAA corporate game mentality : establish an IP, and create 200 games with that IP to make the stockholders feel safe and cozy with their investments.
There are 13 Assassin's Creed games - soon to be 14. Their AC bodycount rivals that of a tatooed college girl trying to "find herself".

Ubisoft imploding would be a huge loss. They have made a ton of great games and while their bloatware games are just way too big for their own good, there is a ton of talent still there. They are currently a bit in a situation like Telltale was before they collapsed, just on a bigger scale. Too much on their plates and tried to expand too much, also with costly license stuff. I hope they get back to form. PoP, SC, AC, even Watch Dogs, Trackmania, Trials, Steep are still IPs I look forward to see new entries and their small games were often brillant too, Valiant Hearts eg.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Farcry 5 but hated 6, I couldn't stand those soy boy wimps and freaks you hung out with, I couldn't even be bothered to finish that game.

The deal is they are going to have to go back to making games that people like and pretty sharpish instead of pandering to the purple haired freaks otherwise they are going out of business.

Bashtee

Had to scroll through their games, because I forgot about most of them.
Anyway: no Splinter Cell, no Division, Settler was garbage, tried NFTs in Ghost Recon. Fuck em, I hope the door hits them on the way out.

buenoblue

I don't get the hate for Ubisoft. I like most of the games they make. Avatar on a decent PC is so good looking it's mind boggling 🤷‍♂️

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Splinter Cell is one of my favorite series of games ever, but fuck Ubisoft they ruined it after Double Agent and have no clue what they're doing.

I have always really enjoyed the Ass Creed games, although skipped Mirage as it looked like Valhalla dlc and I wasn’t bothered about ‘authentic Arabic voices’.

That said, I paid £100 for Outlaws with dlc and it has been really quite disappointing - especially narrative wise. All the DEI crap put me off Shadows quite a bit and Outlaws finished me off.

I can see why Ubi put it off - they have some work to do to correct things.

Catphish

To me, they've been irrelevant for so long, and have had their heads up their asses for so long, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they collapsed. And no, I wouldn't miss them. Aside from The Division (which they seem to be trying their hardest to ruin), I can't even remember the last game I played from them that I actually enjoyed. I think I'd have to go back at least 10 years.

Ammogeddon

I’ve been missing decent Ubisoft games for a while. This is all their own doing. They’ve been churning out the same shit for years.

hussar16

I hope they will survive and improve. Losing another player on the market is never a good thing.
Another player on the market tht just want to charge a montly fee service in the end. At this point im ok with most of these comapnies going under and being under one subcription swevice if thrs where its all going anyway

ToadMan

I think Ubi can survive one way or the other.

Their IPs are still valuable so even if they can't go it alone there will be buyers. Alternatively they can start to shed parts of the portfolio and get back to a more focused business.

Would I miss them if they disappeared...? Have to admit I haven't been a big fan of recent Ubi stuff. Didn't even download the various AC titles that I got with subs.

I think the last game of their's I bought full price was R6 Siege. I got mario rabbids on a deep discount.

So from that, it would be fair to conclude I wouldn't miss them... But. Well they do have a history and a lot of IPs that are beloved. I'd rather see them stick around somehow.

Last edited:

notseqi

Ubisoft launched (into the sun).

You love to see it. Their business practices and the 'paying customers wont own anything'-attitude is doing wonders. I know that most of the people here got used to signing in to signing in to signing in but this crap is despicable.

They'll survive solely because of Assassin's Creed since it still breaks their sales records with each mainline release. But, if they were to go under, yeah I would miss them. But, I would miss the innovative Ubisoft, the studio that wasn't afraid of creating new and original games. Jesus, they absolutely dominated my gaming youth from 2003 all the way up until 2013. I hope they get their shit together.

Barakov

Current Ubisoft and everything they've been doing the past few years? Nah.

They've made some stuff that I really liked but that was years ago. I think AC will keep them afloat and they will probably ride this thing out. I do think they need to rethink their strategy for the company as a whole though.

So I heard that Ubisoft's stock dropped something like 33% in one week, and I'm thinking, "Time to buy the dip!" But looking at this over-time graph of their stock price: It's been trending downward since 2021 and hasn't been this low in years. (Not sure what that weird volatility is from 2013 to 2019.) I've got money primed to possibly buy in, but we shall see.

6YgD51b.png

Roufianos

Nah, let them burn. The only Ubisoft games I've even enjoyed in the last decade were Wildlands PvP and Odyssey. I basically ignore all their releases.

I personally love seeing them fail as their generic open worlds, trend chasing and lack of curated content represents everything wrong with this industry. I'm sure their IP and few talented staff members would thrive elsewhere.

That deluded cunt Yves deserves to go bankrupt.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

They have had neither a decent IP or non generic shooter/open world game in the past 10 years or so.

What exactly are Ubisoft bringing to the table now?
Especially what is the loss if they die?

*DISCLAIMER* I love Ubisoft pre 2010

Last edited:

Roberts

I like Ubisoft games more often than I don’t. Their stuff can be a bit bloated, a bit dumb or too safe, too routine but they know how to make relatively fun games. Odyssey and Origins still one of the better open world games. That reminds me I need to buy that new Valiant Hearts game.

amigastar

I'm trying to remember which recent Ubisoft game i've played. Nothing comes to my mind so i wouldn't miss them i suppose.

Gojiira

Outside of Black Flag,Odyssey and Splinter Cell cant say Id miss them. And if they go under someone will buy the IP so ehhhh so long as Playstation buys Splinter Cell Im indifferent.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Couldn't ever get into Assassin's creed, but enjoyed Watchdogs a lot.
Rayman too.

Might as well try some AC games, maybe I'm missing some gems. Or not.

I don't think I would miss them that much if they disappear, though it would surprise me a lot to see such a historical company gone. They've been here since... Always.

Last edited:

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
The last Ubisoft game I actually finished was Rayman Legends on Ps4 in, like, 2014 (?).

That game was amazing. I’d love more 2D and 3D Rayman, but they don’t seem interested in that. So no, I would not miss them. Frankly it might be better if they go bankrupt so that the Rayman IP can be sold to someone who might actually use it.
Team Asobi's ASTROBOT vs Rayman.

Ozzie666

Knowing gamers luck this generation, UBISOFT will go under and Embracer group will purchase the corpse or the properties.
20,000 jobs at stake here in a contracting industry, not a good result. Someone needs to save them, save them from themselves.

poodaddy

I hope they don't survive, and no, I wouldn't miss them. Just sell the Splinter Cell and Rayman IP's off to a talented studio after, they're the only things I give a shit about salvaging.

I honestly don't understand the hate. Do a lot of their franchises follow the same formula? Sure, but I'm not negatively impacted by that, because I only play a select few titles.

By contrast, I have been positively impacted by several of their titles:
Rayman Legends (which I consider the best non-Nintendo side-scrolling platformer I've ever played)
Assassin's Creed 2, Unity, and Odyssey...all of which were packed with so much ancillary "historical" material and atmosphere that they compelled me to learn about those eras once I'd finished each game
Far Cry 3 and 4 (which were two of the best FPS games of the 360/PS3 gen)
Rainbow Six Siege (which was the only GAAS I've ever really gotten into)
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (which is my favorite Metroidvania of the last two gens on either console or PC)

By contrast, Capcom puts out nothing but iterative Street Fighter sequels/DLC and (admittedly well done but definitely same-y) Resident Evil sequels/remakes, and yet they seem to get a free pass around here.

Last edited:

GMAK2442

I think they are there to stay. Anyway, they will be back with another name. I think they release good tittle sometime.

jcorb

I would miss the Rayman games. I know they didn’t sell well, but they’re some of the most beautiful games ever made, and I would love to see them get back to their roots a little more.

I’d also like to see them get away from prioritizing social justice issues in ALL of their games, and let those exist in select series it makes sense.

Top Bottom