• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ubisoft survive? and if not, would you miss Ubisoft?

Da1337Vinci

Originally I wanted to say if I were in college again and have more than enough time I would miss them.

Now looking at the current market and the amount of games available I am unsure even If I were to have time like back in college would I play ubisoft games.

I think I would at least buy them but only dirt cheap during a sale.

zaga

Ubisoft just got way too greedy…

Opening asset factories all around the world (China, Singapore, Bulgaria, Brazil, …) to help churn out sequels, but not doing enough to retain their most talented staff (Patrice, Michel, Jade, …)

Mercador

They couldn't survived without all the subsidies that we paid (and still pay) for them in Quebec. When I saw a BMO financial advisor suggesting buying stocks for the upcoming release of AC: Japan-but-not-Japanese, I was shaking my head in disbelief.

Last edited:

Aesius

I just want an Assassin's Creed game set at the height of the Roman Empire. We've been teased with Rome a few times. AC: Brotherhood showed a medieval Rome and Origins gave us a Ptolemaic Egypt with Roman influence. I haven't played it but apparently there are Roman ruins on Valhalla, too. But I want a full-scale Rome set in 100 AD or so.

When would you guys say that UbiSoft peaked?

The PS3/360 days?

Me personally, I wouldn’t miss them, the only games I’ve liked of theirs have been the Rayman games and that series seems dead and buried.

The whole brand screams mediocrity, always has done.

I already miss Ubisoft. Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Rayman, Ghost Recon AW/FS (OMG Future Soldier was SO GOOD), Rainbow 6 Vegas, BG&E, Watch Dogs 1.

I already know the Ubi employees here are gonna counter this with 'but but but those games didn't sell! AC is a cash cow! R6 Siege!'

Ubisoft no longer makes any games I'm interested in so I couldn't care less if the stock is tanking and investor flight is taking place. If you're gonna get greedy with your products/services then you're gonna have to accept the risk of that greed tanking your business. If you're gonna alienate/disrespect your fanbase with politics/agendas then you're gonna have to accept the risk of losing them as customers.

I think they can survive but I'd honestly not even notice if they were suddenly gone. I haven't touched an Ubisoft Game since AC Black Flag.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Why would I miss a company that has spent years shitting out bland, repetitive games, with all the originality of a fifth Hollywood sequel?

Not to mention the fact the company is full of handsy cunts that still have their jobs, while the executives pretend they are somehow all about the equality and diversity.

I guess they’d sexually harass women of all different colours, creeds, nationalities and religions?

Fuck ‘em. The sooner they collapse the better. They’re at the forefront of the agenda driven, hypocritical, politically motivated bullshit that’s been poisoning gaming for far too long.

And did I mention the sexual assaulting?

someone die GIF

Last edited:

The PS3/360 days?

Me personally, I wouldn’t miss them, the only games I’ve liked of theirs have been the Rayman games and that series seems dead and buried.

The transition from the Prince of Persia trilogy to AC, till AC2.

PS2 - till half PS3 gen. I loved that Ubisoft.

Not bought or played a Ubisoft game since the first Assassins Creed it was fucking awful on the PC. if memory serves you had to press like 3 damn buttons to get your character to run or something. Then they fucked about with "no steam on release shit" and the less said about their god awful Uplay client the better, Honestly I just felt my PC gaming experience improved considerably once I decided Ubisoft no longer existed. So no if Ubisoft vanished it wouldn't have an impact on me because they have been dead for years

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Their games are way too generic, formulaic, boring, droll, buggy, simple and woke for my taste, so I have no preference. They are to me, invisible.

The most recent Prince metroidvania was a step in the right direction, but even that game was just good. I love metroidvanias but the overly complex combat mechanics weren't my cup of tea. I much prefer Aria of Sorrow, Hollow Knight, Ori, or Metroid Dread in that genre. One good game ever is not it for me.

Why did they stop making Splinter Cell? If we had like one good character that I even kinda cared about like Splinter Cell they would be doing so much better. Now they are the worst.

Lemme guess, they are making a new one but the main character will change to either be someone you make or someone else. Stupid, inept, obtuse management probably trying to push their own personal political agenda. Unsustainable, they will either change or go woke go broke. I don't care which one they choose.

Last edited:
I'd like it if they'd continue to make games like Child of Light and Rayman, but Assassin's Creed games can die off as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

yurinka

Can Ubisoft survive?​

Their revenue graph looks like this, which is very positive:
328291-blank-355.png

Their net income graph, less important but still important look like this:
image.png

So we see there that they perform good but had to cut some fat and last year they axed a huge chunk of fat to improve things in the long term.

Vultures try to take its value down to see if they sell it, but it only has a result: their owners grow their stake buying shares in and undervalued price, helping them to have even more control of the company.

So yes, it will survive even if they may axe more fat, something that seems needed. As an idea it could be good for them to shut down their DEI team and go back to focus on trying make great games and in terms of HR hiring promoting the best candidates for each position instead of in DEI checklists and quotas.

Last edited:

ungalo

The PS3/360 days?

late PS2/Xbox early 360 (creatively), but i would argue they were still pretty good late 360/PS3 early PS4

Last edited:

POKEYCLYDE

I like the occasional Ubisoft game. I've played 4 Assassin Creed games since the franchise started. I liked an occasional Farcry.

But the quality drops as they keep milking that horse. I don't want a new game in the franchise every year.

And now I won't bother buying a game day one, I need overwhelming positive sentiment for a release for me to jump back in to any of their games.

I won't miss them unless they correct course. Which seems highly unlikely.

Of course they'll "survive" lol, anyone who thinks this giant company is just going to disappear, while they have at least one IP that cracked a billion is delusional.

Toons

There is a 90% chance they will be fine.

No, I won't miss them, becaase they are not going anywhere.

Ristifer

I loved Ubisoft back when they made great games, but those are not coming back. Ubisoft in its current state is detrimental to the industry. I'd put them in the same category as EA or Activision.

They can survive but I'd rather they don't.
Pretty much. Ubisoft games used to come out and actually bring excitement within the gaming industry. Now? I mean, it’s great if you like Far Cry and the AC games, but they’ve been stale for a long time for me.

Maybe once their Splinter Cell remake launches in 2035 we can all have a laugh about all this.

HogIsland

I still like Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and The Division quite a bit.

Does Ubisoft collapsing make a return to Chaos Theory-era Splinter Cell more or less likely?

They need to restructure, focus on 1-2 legit AAA games and let them cook.

Have everyone else work on remasters and a VR conversion of ZombiU.

Above all else, they need to clean house of DEI hires and the DEI agenda. Otherwise they will continue to fail.

Releasing an absolute banger that is entirely free of DEI shite will show that they've learned their lesson.

SHA

At the moment there is only bad news for Ubisoft, games are not selling or have been postponed. And it feels like everything they touch is a failure. The stock goes down a lot also. I wondered whether I would miss them at all if they weren't available tomorrow. And I couldn't think of a game from the last few years that I absolutely had to play.

Sure, I had some fun with some Assasin's Creed and the new Prince of Persia isn't bad either, but then I also played Avatar and the new Star Wars and I had absolutely no interest in those games.

Would you miss Ubisoft?

190142155a2ecc45787be16844baf53d77c027cd8755c4eb2cf8caa76fd178ab.jpg
SCEL_Store_Landscape_2560x1440-2560x1440-0966b116c19dc7029f8e19b918af7309.jpg
AC2_GameName_Store_Portrait_1200x1600_1200x1600-2c5e000213988c5dde375bb2602e9986
Driver_San_Francisco_Box_Art.jpg
Rayman, Far Cry and Prince of Persia, but I wouldn't really miss them cause what's really happening at this moment is that many game makers release games quality wise at the same level of games used to be unique in incompetent market but now it's saturated, there are many that got the potential, it's no longer Ubisoft's domain.

pudel

Cannot remember the last time, I looked forward to any of their games. It was always more like..."lets see what greedy shit they come up with this time" and in that regard they never disappointed. Their games are something now I would play years after release...when they are finally complete with all DLC's and I definitely cant find anything else to play. So guess the answer is no....wouldnt miss them. I wish it would be different.

And also cannot see them change as well. They would need to change their whole mentality by 180 degrees. That would be a miracle.

Humdinger

I would not miss Ubisoft, no.

I enjoyed Far Cry 3, 4, and 5. Diminishing returns, didn't bother with 6, but 3 was great and 4 was fun. I think their influence on the open-world genre has been negative overall.

I wasn't into their other major franchises - Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, etc.

BG&E was good, but that was 15 (?) years ago.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
They have the occasional gem and a legendary catalog of IP, but these days there production feels akin to factory farming.

thegame983

It truly is mind blowing that the company that made Assassin's Creed Odyssey & The Division 2, both relatively recent games, could implode so spectacularly.

Astray

Ubisoft is a company that:
  1. Has the headcount of Sony and Nintendo combined, but with a fraction of either's revenue.
  2. Their workforce is scattered across the globe, so they can't merge some of their studios like Microsoft or Sony or EA could.
  3. Are likely on the hook for some sort of subsidy scheme with half the world's governments at this point in the process of opening most of those studios.
  4. Is seemingly releasing flop after flop this year (even the really good games like Prince of Persia aren't successful), eroding the brand equity of most of their valuable IP.
Look at the above, and you will see that Ubisoft is either going to embark on the world's biggest layoff spree, or they are going to go under, there is no in-between here. Also all these things makes them a terrible, terrible acquisition for any larger company. If people think Bungie or Activision are hard companies to integrate, try paying money to inherit this mess!

I do miss old Ubisoft already. Though, there is a slim to zero chance they will ever return back to that.

It's how I feel about a lot of classic devs/pubs that only remain as a name only.

You can miss them all you want, the original talent and minds behind those amazing classic games are already gone and what you see is a skin suit.

Last edited:

ToneyJ

This current fake progressive, pandering, virtue signaling, agenda driven, ethics department Ubisoft? I wouldn't miss them.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've played Far Cry (the Crytek one), Assassin Creed Unity because it was given free (and it plays nicely on a 4070), Rayman Legends (PS4) and Star Wars Outlaws (PC via Ubisoft+ rental), that's been it from Ubisoft over the last decade. Maybe l will play their new Assassin Creed game on Ubisoft+ rental. I dunno they seem to not really create anything that's grabbed me much over the years 😒

They are also a studio that l feel lack polish if you play something like Unity or Outlaws so they are not a top tier studio in my eyes because of that.

Last edited:

PsyEd

The "current" Ubisoft...I won't miss them. The OG one...is what I already miss. AC : Unity was one heck of a game and still my go to game when I get new hardware for benchmarking.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The last ubisoft game I played is far cry 5, forced myself to complete it .

Ac Valhalla collecting dust on the shelf.

So no I don't miss it .

Top Bottom