• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian dollar could fall to 75 cents on weak oil prices, experts say

Status
Not open for further replies.
muhahahaha......... :(

Loonie hovers around 80 cents today, but outlook is negative

The Canadian dollar is hovering just above 80 cents US today, but continues under pressure as oil prices fall and the outlook for the economy dims.

Analysts are predicting it will continue its downward trend over the short-term, with TD Bank predicting a 75-cent loonie in the short term and Goldman Sachs saying it could go as low as 71 cents US.

Weak loonie will sway snowbirds, cross-border shopping
After closing yesterday at 80.23 cents US, the Canadian dollar dipped in overnight trading to 80.17, but was up in later afternoon at 80.65 cents US.

In its economic outlook released Monday, TD Bank said it has downgraded its outlook for the dollar because of continuing weakness in oil prices. It expects a 75-cent dollar by the first quarter of 2016.

Rahim Madhavji, an analyst at Knightsbridge Foreign Exchange in Toronto predicts a 75-cent loonie in three to six months.

The strong U.S. dollar, powered by an improved labour picture and recovering economy, has helped to create a negative outlook for the loonie, he told CBC News.

The quick drop in oil prices from $100 last year to the $45-level now is putting pressure on the dollar, he said.

“If oil goes below $40 a barrel, I would feel the Bank of Canada will cut rates [again] and that’s a secondary factor that will hurt the loonie,” Madhavji said.

“It’s going to make a 75-cent loonie well within reach.”

Surprise rate cut

The Bank of Canada shocked the markets and caught both investors and the big banks by surprise with its rate cut last week, he said.

“The Bank of Canada not having a clear path of how it will proceed breeds uncertainty,” he said.

There could be a “butterfly effect” from events in China or Europe where economies have turned downwards that would create further expectations of a rate cut in Canada and hurt the dollar, he said.

A low dollar makes Canadian exports more competitive and the stronger U.S. economy will improve demand. But it could take a year for the benefit of a declining dollar to take effect, Madhavji said.

He forecasts a recovery in the loonie to the 87-cent level if oil bounces up closer to $60 US a barrel.

Goldman Sachs is predicting a 76-cent Canadian dollar in the near term, but says the loonie will continue its slide and could fall to 71 cents US by 2017. It also is forecasting $30 a barrel oil.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...ents-on-weak-oil-prices-experts-say-1.2933280

I for one welcome our new $80 games.

Yes I'm aware that this has far more terrible and far reaching consequences than my expensive hobby :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nice that Uniqlo is finally coming to Canada. Shame everything will be twice as much as their locations in the States.

As for games, I wonder what the limit is for how high the prices will go. Because eventually with $80.. or more.. games people will just stop buying launch titles for MSRP altogether.

whitehawk

Banned
I for one welcome our new $80 games.

Yes I'm aware that this has far more terrible and far reaching consequences than my expensive hobby :(
Buying a ps4 at launch is the first time being an early adopter was a smart decision. Price went up by $60 later and could go higher now.

KorrZ

$80 video games coming but gas is cheaper than I've ever seen it. I'm not quite sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Well . . . I don't think we'll go below $40/barrel. And if we do, it won't stay there long. I think we may have bottomed out for now.

And the oil price could quickly rise due to instability in Libya, instability in Yemen spilling into Saudi Arabia, the market seeing the Bakken shutting down so much drilling, etc.

My question is why all groceries are getting more expensive as well, even locally produced stuff, makes no sense, my grocery bill has increased by 33% in the last 3 months.

whitehawk

Banned
Well your 1$ will be 0.75 cents here, also everything is more expensive. We have a $1.39 menu at mcdonalds, which after 13% tax is over $1.50 so assuming Americans have a dollar menu at Mcdonalds...

It will cost you 2$ american to buy 1 junior chicken that would normally cost you 1$ american..aka no.
wat? It means $1 Canadian will get you 75 cents american. Im in america right now and I got 140USD for 180CAD.

Canadian economy has always been a somewhat of a tail of the US economy, why has the Canadian economy been in the doldrums recently

Massive overdevelopment of the tarsands for one. Now that oils falling all of that is going to fall apart, and so many jobs will be lost in Alberta.

The housing market's another big problem. It never crashed like the US did. Big Canadian cities have massively overpriced homes waiting to fall in value. This and the low interest rates have contributed to huge consumer debt levels -- totally unsustainable. The central bank is trying to prop it up but IMO hopefully it will fail so some of us can actually afford to buy homes, but that's going to cause a lot of problems for anyone that currently owns a home.

I'm also worried about another tech bubble popping. There's been a lot of investment in really flimsy startups, and it's really starting to remind me of 2000. If that happens my industry is going to be in a lot of trouble.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
My question is why all groceries are getting more expensive as well, even locally produced stuff, makes no sense, my grocery bill has increased by 33% in the last 3 months.

My guess is that local producers can capitalize on this situation by raising their prices a bit while remaining competitively priced against US-produced goods.

Well . . . I don't think we'll go below $40/barrel. And if we do, it won't stay there long. I think we may have bottomed out for now.

And the oil price could quickly rise due to instability in Libya, instability in Yemen spilling into Saudi Arabia, the market seeing the Bakken shutting down so much drilling, etc.

Honestly before this is all done we'll probably see a brief rise on assumed supply problems and then another crash. Classic bull trap.

Mrmartel

Banned
I'm glad the Euro is equally shitty at the moment. The European trip I'm taking this year would've been crazy expensive otherwise.

ShutEye

Well your 1$ will be 0.75 cents here, also everything is more expensive. We have a $1.39 menu at mcdonalds, which after 13% tax is over $1.50 so assuming Americans have a dollar menu at Mcdonalds...

It will cost you 2$ american to buy 1 junior chicken that would normally cost you 1$ american..aka no.

You have it backwards. $1 CAD is projected to buy $0.75USD . US tourists would be looking at a potential deal in visiting Canada. Back in the 90's when the CAD bought only 0.66 USD Toronto was a cheap vacation and shopping destination for Americans.

I hope the loonie drops like a rock, but that is entirely selfish and based on an atypical personal financial situation.

Honestly before this is all done we'll probably see a brief rise on assumed supply problems and then another crash. Classic bull trap.

Meh. Oil is not a stock. Stock prices can swing wildly because the value doesn't really mean much in the real world except if someone wants to acquire the company.

But the price of oil is what pays for oil rigs, loans, drilling engineers, etc. It can only go down so far before companies go bankrupt, drillers stop drilling, etc. And that is already started . . . big firms have laid off thousands. Small drillers are starting to go under as their hedges run out.

I hope the loonie drops like a rock, but that is entirely selfish and based on an atypical personal financial situation.

If you're looking to sell something to the US yeah that's a good thing to wish for. I'm thinking to sell some of my more valuable SNES games. My ~$100USD Thracia 776 cart could very easily net me $125CDN right now.

Pedrito

USD is going way up vs. just about every currencies right now. It's not really a Canada thing, although the price of oil certainly doesn't help.

It will be good for exports, local products and tourism.

Somnid

Hopefully with Target dead Rosalina Amiibos will not be exclusive in Canada. Blunt the scalping with cheap imports.

dankir

I remember when the loony was worth 60 cents back in 1999 - 2000. Holy fuck shit was expensive.

Do no want!

jwhit28

I know oil companies are suffering in the US but why aren't we getting hit as hard economically yet? Do we just keep all of our oil in country instead of exporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom