• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian dollar could fall to 75 cents on weak oil prices, experts say

Status
Not open for further replies.
the current housing market is way over priced, that bubble should pop, but that's a good thing because housing needs to come back down to normal levels.
people have been saying this for years, and it still hasn't happened. In fact, a recent TD report just pointed out that 2 of the 10 province will still experience a price increase despite the current drop: Ontario and BC (entirely because of the GTA and Vancouver).

The drop in exchange and drop in interest rate will only increase forigen buying power, increase investors to buy out the market and push the cost more upwards.

Cynar

Man, wasn't Canada like the only western country to not take a big hit during the recession around '08? I thought you guys were doin great.
We were very fortunate that the current asshat in charge didn't get his way with how he wanted banks regulated and we had a liberal government. Harper has damaged Canada severely since his rise to power and sabotaged our sciences and electoral agencies to make it harder for any other party to win in the future. The guy and those along his line of thinking are the definition of fascists and spit in the face of democracy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
people have been saying this for years, and it still hasn't happened. In fact, a recent TD report just pointed out that 2 of the 10 province will still experience a price increase despite the current drop: Ontario and BC (entirely because of the GTA and Vancouver).

The drop in exchange and drop in interest rate will only increase foreign buying power, increase investors to buy out the market and push the cost more upwards.
It certainly looks like there's still a rush to build overpriced condos in Toronto anyway.

Pedrito

But that's because of taxes and not a failing economy. :p

Have you looked at the australian dollar? It's following the exact same curve as the CAD.

Again, the canadian dollar going down is not exactly a sign that the canadian economy is going down the shitter (it's neither shit nor thriving), it has more to do with the USD being sky high right now. The Euro, swedish krona, australian dollar, new-zealand dollar, british pound, brazilian real, etc. are all at/near multi-year low vs. the USD.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have you looked at the australian dollar? It's following the exact same curve as the CAD.

Again, the canadian dollar going down is not exactly as sign that the canadian economy is going down the shitter (it's neither shit nor thriving), it has more to do with the USD being sky high right now. Swedish krona, australian dollar, new-zealand dollar, british pound, brazilian real, etc. are all at/near multi-year low vs. the USD.
I haven't checked in ages, admittedly. I just remember it being higher than the CAD a year ago (it was when I was talking to an Australian about importing stuff from Japan, actually).

Again, the canadian dollar going down is not exactly a sign that the canadian economy is going down the shitter (it's neither shit nor thriving), it has more to do with the USD being sky high right now. The Euro, swedish krona, australian dollar, new-zealand dollar, british pound, brazilian real, etc. are all at/near multi-year low vs. the USD.
while that may be the case, but the recent weeks of target, bombardier and Tim Horton cuts doesn't inspire confidence.

while that may be the case, but the recent weeks of target, bombardier and Tim Horton cuts doesn't inspire confidence.
Bombardier has always been living off corperate wealthfare for decades.
The Federal goverment and the Quebec government keeps Bombardier alive.

As for Tim Hortons, the job losses announced were only administrative due to Burger King buyout

and Target, Target failed because Target failed. Nothing to do with the Canadian economy.
Their shelves were empty, they offered no competitive deals versus Walmart prices; Target failed tosses all the data from Club Z members buying habit into the trash.

Canadian economy has always been a somewhat of a tail of the US economy, why has the Canadian economy been in the doldrums recently

Canada is quite reliant on resource exports compared to the US (which has a much more diversified economy). Now Canada is no Russia (which is almost entirely-reliant on resources), but oil price drops hurt us quite a bit. The economic engine in the country has shifted west in the last decade, and now the west is hurting (well, Alberta specifically, but SK to an extent as well). Canada's dollar is heavily tied to oil prices, unfortunately.

It's fairly good news for eastern manufacturers in Ontario and Quebec, though since it means it is cheaper for American companies to buy Canadian-produced goods.

Miutsu

I've been here five years

I'm originally from Ireland

Heh, then congrats on your PR! I'm right now in Venezuela but I've been working towards getting it for the last 3-4 years now, so now that its almost here (and me almost there), to say I'm excited would be an understatement.

BY2K

Membero Americo
so you are basically voting for Harper to win his 4th term

What are we supposed to do? I don't want to vote for Harper and seeing how the Liberal party is already fucking shit up in Quebec, I don't want a Liberal party to do the same to the whole country.

Dazzler

Heh, then congrats on your PR! I'm right now in Venezuela but I've been working towards getting it for the last 3-4 years now, so now that its almost here (and me almost there), to say I'm excited would be an understatement.

best of luck with the big move!

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll do my best to answer!

Tabris

I hope America elects a republican for president so they can tank your economy again, and balance can be restored.

Stet

Banned
What are we supposed to do? I don't want to vote for Harper and seeing how the Liberal party is already fucking shit up in Quebec, I don't want a Liberal party to do the same to the whole country.

They haven't been the same party since 1955.

RevoDS

Bombardier has always been living off corperate wealthfare for decades.
The Federal goverment and the Quebec government keeps Bombardier alive.

As for Tim Hortons, the job losses announced were only administrative due to Burger King buyout

and Target, Target failed because Target failed. Nothing to do with the Canadian economy.
Their shelves were empty, they offered no competitive deals versus Walmart prices; Target failed tosses all the data from Club Z members buying habit into the trash.
17k jobs lost has everything to do with the Canadian economy.

We're already borderline on a recession. The only thing propping us up is the strength of the US economy. Ours is pretty much down the shitter right now.

Please do explain how the Liberals have been fucking shit up in Quebec?

Are you mixing Federal politics with Provincial politics? if you are talking Federally, what is your grievance with the 12 years of Chretien-Martin (who had 6 consecutive surpluses and cleaned up after Mulroney's mess)

if you are talking about provincial, then you are talking about Apples and Oranges, because Quebec's problem is their bloated public sector were blame lays to both the PQ and the PLQ.

I have lived here all my life, the one (Federally) who has done the largest amount of damage in my life time was the Brian Mulroney PC (recession, insane high interest rates, high unemployment, etc).

Jean Chretien did an excellent job cleaning up that mess of shit left over by the PC.

Big-E

As someone who gets paid in foreign currency dependent on the Canadian dollar, I am going to be losing a fuckton of money. Get fucked Harper.

Yoda

There really isn't anyway around the dollar weakening so blaming a politician just won't work. The CDN is dependent heavily on the petrol economy (which has been doing quite well for over a decade) and that economy is now not as lucrative as it once was due to the whims of a cartel. The CDN will eventually go back to where it was as oil certainly isn't going to stay this low forever, but it most likely won't recover until a year or two after the price of oil goes back to where the tycoons and arab princes want it to be.

Stage On

17k jobs lost has everything to do with the Canadian economy.

We're already borderline on a recession. The only thing propping us up is the strength of the US economy. Ours is pretty much down the shitter right now.

That's funny because the last recession never really ended. Oh sure the media likes to talk like it did but a ton of people lost their jobs then and never got them back since a lot of companies only stabilized off the back of doing more stuff with less workers.

So would that make it a double recession then?

Madness

I for one welcome our new $80 games.

Yes I'm aware that this has far more terrible and far reaching consequences than my expensive hobby :(

Fuck that, when the dollar went to 90 cents against the US, they were charging us $5ish more than they needed to. Now that it's going to 75 cents, they want to charge us more again? This will backfire. Unlike Australia who are boned because of their ocean borders, most people in Vancouver, Toronto can drive over the border. Plus, I'd literally stop buying games on launch if that's what they want to do, or increase my purchases on Craigslist or even used games.

subrock

you guys want Harper out? then don't split the vote.

if you split the vote by wasting it on the NDP then you are allowing Harper to win.

Just vote Liberal, even if you are more of an NDPer, weigh in your priorities

528645_10151277985390649_2108647416_n.png
I am seriously considering voting liberal this time because of Trudeau. He's the only one I can see actually mobilizing umenough of a left vote to remove the conservatives.

_Ryo_

Looks like it'll soon be cheaper to import anime/manga from Canada to US than it would to just order from a US store... It really sucks for Canadians :(

But.. as selfish as it is, it's great for me.

But for Canadians, this is gonna hurt. Sorry. :(

But I do like great deals...

Conflicted..

I tend not to eat out much anyway, home cooked meals, but I hear groceries are also expensive.
I just got back from a 6 week trip in Vancouver, and the food prices (and alcohol too, ouch!) were absolutely insane. Vancouver is lovely, when it's not grey and rainy (which was most of the time) and it's just a really cool place, but it's expensive, and my god the homeless...there are shocking amounts of homeless people there.

It was posted a month ago but recorded back in 2012. He references the Albera 2012 election, a very high dollar, and lots of things that have totally changed. The entire situation for Alberta is so bleak at the moment and he's completely unaware that that's coming.

SRG01

The thing about Alberta that gets me every single time is how our industry and government tends to take our oil booms for granted. Everything in our province is in a perpetual feedback loop of denial and nepotism.

Anyone who points out the obvious problems of our province just gets shouted down or berated. It's unreal, like some sort of counter-reality bubble most people here live in.

Holmes

lol and I'm moving to California over the summer. Fuck me. It'll be rough at first but if the country is on track for a recession, at least I'll be gone. And I won't have to see that manchild Justin Trudeau leading the country.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Perfect time that I just started Xenoblade Chronicles and will only get Monster Hunter 4 U in the near future. Hundred of hours to tie me over till the loonie goes up again ;)

But I did just booked a very expensive trip to Hawaii :(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Welcome to Canada. Hopefully you dont mind our winters with their -15/-30 celsius temperature ;). At least our summers are around 20/30 celsius.

Perfect time that I just started Xenoblade Chronicles and will only get Monster Hunter 4 U in the near future. Hundred of hours to tie me over till the loonie goes up again ;)

But I did just booked a very expensive trip to Hawaii :(

Yup. I think I'm set to cut the amount of games I buy a year down by quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom