• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian dollar could fall to 75 cents on weak oil prices, experts say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under 80 cents now

6ba803c9-0b41-458e-9e28-79b51429e1ce_zpsabeb3649.png

I've been working here for four years now. Pricing up here is an absolute joke. Don't even think about eating out on a regular basis like we were all accustomed to. Taxes are also really high. I, for one, can't wait to find a job back home.

That being said, it's a beautiful country. If you're into sports it's a little upsetting that most people only care about hockey. For example, I'm the one who always sets up the Super Bowl parties with my Canadian friends among other events because of the lack of interest. The people are usually great. No one ever jaywalks either which I found odd. Speed limits are slower than USA too I've noticed.

Good luck! Where are you moving to in Canada?

Vancouver, which I hear is absolutely beautiful. On the plus side of all this, it'll make friends want to visit me if the dollar is stronger hahahaha....awwww.

I tend not to eat out much anyway, home cooked meals, but I hear groceries are also expensive. But I've lived in the Bay Area, East Bay and LA for the past 5 years, so not like I'm going to get that much sticker shock.

Any other USA to Canada GAFers take on this dip?

I'm a Liberal voter but I don't hate Harper; I dislike his party, dislike his economic policies but I don't dislike him .

he likes cats, so there is some good in him..... haha

jstripes

Banned
I'm a Liberal voter but I don't hate Harper; I dislike his party, dislike his economic policies but I don't dislike him .

he likes cats, so there is some good in him..... haha

If you dislike his party, you dislike him. He has pretty authoritarian control over his party.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Uh....that was a scary sound.

Do you not see Bw in front?

If you want a scary laugh, it's gotta be "mwahaha". Bwahaha is just more enthusiastic laughter. (I'd just go with *evil laugh* or something since the interpretation of laugh sounds is pretty ambiguous)

/took a minor pay cut in Alberta, glad to still have a job

If you dislike his party, you dislike him. He has pretty authoritarian control over his party.

there was lots of fear mongering going around when he had a minority that he would show his true face when he would win a majority

in the end, he is the one that keeps the rest of crazy party under control, Harper is holding back the rest of his party to not overstep their bounds. So in the end, he is compromising himself to be more centered towards the middle to not give the appearance of being Far-Right like some other lunatics in his party.

Remember the add about Solider in City Streets? That was a bit of stretch of fear mongering that amounted to not being true at all.

I'm still voting for Justin Trudeau regardless, but I don't hate Harper...

The one I do hate is Mario Beaulieu. Beaulieu is the real extremist

slit

If you want a scary laugh, it's gotta be "mwahaha". Bwahaha is just more enthusiastic laughter. (I'd just go with *evil laugh* or something since the interpretation of laugh sounds is pretty ambiguous)

/took a minor pay cut in Alberta, glad to still have a job

No Bwhahaha can be maniacal as well.

Don't tell me I know what the ghosts on Scooby Doo sounded like.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Personally I live in Canada but get paid in US dollars so it's a good thing for me, however things are already too expensive here and I'm worried prices will keep rising on things like electronics. As far as games go I buy those digitally and can get games in US dollars so at least that issue doesn't affect me.

subrock

jesus fuck. I hope there is an election while we are still feeling the sting from this. Fuck the Conservatives for enabling our oil based economy.

jstripes

Banned
there was lots of fear mongering going around when he had a minority that he would show his true face when he would win a majority

in the end, he is the one that keeps the rest of crazy party under control, Harper is holding back the rest of his party to not overstep their bounds. So in the end, he is compromising himself to be more centered towards the middle to not give the appearance of being Far-Right like some other lunatics in his party.

Remember the add about Solider in City Streets? That was a bit of stretch of fear mongering that amounted to not being true at all.

I'm still voting for Justin Trudeau regardless, but I don't hate Harper...

The one I do hate is Mario Beaulieu. Beaulieu is the real extremist

I still don't like him. Especially how he's muzzled government scientists and how he conducts press relations, only answering pre-scripted questions.

you guys want Harper out? then don't split the vote.

if you split the vote by wasting it on the NDP then you are allowing Harper to win.

Just vote Liberal, even if you are more of an NDPer, weigh in your priorities

528645_10151277985390649_2108647416_n.png

S-Wind

if you split the vote by wasting it on the NDP then you are allowing Harper to win.

Unless you live in a riding where the NDP candidate unusually wins, like I do.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man, wasn't Canada like the only western country to not take a big hit during the recession around '08? I thought you guys were doin great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, wasn't Canada like the only western country to not take a big hit during the recession around '08? I thought you guys were doin great.
A fluke due to Liberal policies of regulating banks. If Harper had his way, there would have been much more fuckery in our banking sector as well.

Hell, even then I think Royal Bank (or at least one of the big 5) took a huge hit back then.

Miutsu

As a soon to be a new Canadian resident come March, I am not pleased.

Still a HUGE country upgrade for me :)

Tiktaalik

if you split the vote by wasting it on the NDP Liberals then you are allowing Harper to win.

Just vote Liberal NDP, even if you are more of an NDPer Liberal, weigh in your priorities

our financial institutions are still rock solid;

it's just that our dollar is tied to commodities, energy, oil and the price of oil is down, the price of mining stuff like rocks in the ground is also down

I'm not mineral expert but prices of commodities are all down which messes up our dollar

Windam

Scaley member

if you split the vote by wasting it on the NDP Liberals then you are allowing Harper to win.

Just vote Liberal NDP, even if you are more of an NDPer Liberal, weigh in your priorities

Hahahahahaha

Jack :'(

528645_10151277985390649_2108647416_n.png

Last time the Liberals were in power, we had just as many scandals... this is just a case of people have an extremely short memory.

May I remind you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponsorship_scandal

Justin Trudeau would have been a nobody if it wasn't for his father. Can't believe he's that close to be elected.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

People disagree with gutter quite a bit here, but he's right.

That said, the sad reality is another Harper minority is probably the most likely scenario. I mean, nothing can take this man down at this point. He could probably do the same shit that Rob Ford did and the way our electoral landscape is, still win by default.

Yes!

I'm sorry if I split the vote but I simply can't vote Liberal. Can't do it.

Tiktaalik

People disagree with gutter quite a bit here, but he's right.

That said, the sad reality is another Harper minority is probably the most likely scenario. I mean, nothing can take this man down at this point. He could probably do the same shit that Rob Ford did and the way our electoral landscape is, still win by default.

The problem is that the Liberals are only the main obvious contender in a few regions.

In vast swaths of the West the NDP is the second place alternative by a wide margin. In Quebec the NDP currently control nearly the entire province.

It's not so simple to "unite the left" by having everyone go to the Liberals.

Last time the Liberals were in power, we had just as many scandals... this is just a case of people have an extremely short memory.

May I remind you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponsorship_scandal

Justin Trudeau would have been a nobody if it wasn't for his father. Can't believe he's that close to be elected.

Any party that stays in power for over 12 years straight ends up getting arrogant and get scandals that stick

The thing about the NDP is that they governed for 0 years, 0 months, 0 days. Never formed goverment. Because they are just a perpetual 3rd place party.
A guarantee you if the NDP governed for 12 years straight, they would have their share of scandals too.

Jack was awesome. Ignatieff and Dion were not.

Mulcair is not Jack

JordanN

Banned
How come Canada doesn't have its own Silicon Valley? Or Hollywood?

We're right next to the U.S yet we don't even have our own Microsoft or Pixar.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem is that the Liberals are only the main obvious contender in a few regions.

In vast swaths of the West the NDP is the second place alternative by a wide margin. In Quebec the NDP currently control nearly the entire province.

It's not so simple to "unite the left" by having everyone go to the Liberals.
The NDP couldn't hold Olivia Chow's seat in Toronto and Chow herself lost the mayoral race in Toronto badly. I think NDP support in Ontario is pretty much done. Heck, I don't even know if Toronto-Danforth is in play for the Liberals now, which would be sad since we're - if we don't count the by-election - only a few years removed from Jack Layton.

It really depends if Trudeau can somehow convince Quebecors that his name isn't poison and hopefully get enough people there to vote for them, after they realized that their protest vote for the NDP amounted to nothing since Mulcair has been a pretty boring opposition leader.

If the dollar keeps collapsing, I expect Vancouver will become Hollywood North again at the very least. Get ready for downtown Vancouver to fill in for every single major American city in movies and TV.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Not enough people to sell to. Any large amounts of money spent up here on entertainment is usually for American consumption.

Hockey is the exception.

I just become a permanent canadian resident in March :(

hopefully things don't go completely to shit

don't worry, things should revert back to 2002-2003 levels which were considered normal.

the current housing market is way over priced, that bubble should pop, but that's a good thing because housing needs to come back down to normal levels.

the dollar, parity was only recent. now it is going back to it's old former normal levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom