• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian dollar could fall to 75 cents on weak oil prices, experts say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I expect it to go to 65 when the housing bubble pops.

Have you looked at the australian dollar? It's following the exact same curve as the CAD.

Again, the canadian dollar going down is not exactly a sign that the canadian economy is going down the shitter (it's neither shit nor thriving), it has more to do with the USD being sky high right now. The Euro, swedish krona, australian dollar, new-zealand dollar, british pound, brazilian real, etc. are all at/near multi-year low vs. the USD.

Wrong, the CAD lost three cents in a few minutes when the boc lowered rates, and that is in response to the economic developments.

Miutsu

Welcome to Canada. Hopefully you dont mind our winters with their -15/-30 celsius temperature ;). At least our summers are around 20/30 celsius.

Thanks! I'm used to 30-40 °c temps for the whole year (no season changes in here) but I hate heat and have never liked it. You may have extreme cold but it doesn't last the whole year and you can fight it with proper (expensive) clothing. I think I'll adapt fine :)

Zoned

Actively hates charity
That's why American money is the best money. Sorry my Canadian folks, but that's the truth.

Thanks! I'm used to 30-40 °c temps for the whole year (no season changes in here) but I hate heat and have never liked it. You may have extreme cold but it doesn't last the whole year and you can fight it with proper (expensive) clothing. I think I'll adapt fine :)

Bro, first of all, except the weather to be REALLY cold!

Now, take those expectations and make them even colder.

There. Canada will be colder than that.

When the electricity goes off because of bad weather, people take the food from their freezer and put it outside to prevent it from spoiling. Let that sink in haha.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's pretty simple: Canada's economy is, was and probably always will be (at least for the forseeable future) dependent on the exportation of natural resources.

With natural resource prices near all-time highs the last few years, Canada had it great. Now that they're coming down, Canada is in trouble.

One would have imagined that our government would have prepared for this. I mean the Liberals were running surpluses when the Loonie was at 60c US.

Esque7

Well, I have been planning a trip to either Toronto or Montreal for late this year! Sorry for all the Canadians though, the scale just keeps going back and forth :/

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
fuck you harper

IT'S TRUDEAU TIME
o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-SPEAKING-FEES-facebook.jpg

In truth, I have no idea who to be confident in anymore.

Miutsu

When the electricity goes off because of bad weather, people take the food from their freezer and put it outside to prevent it from spoiling. Let that sink in haha.

I realize the cold in Canada is really cold (more than I can begin to imagine for sure) and that's a con for most people.

But I'm moving from Venezuela and trust me, the pros outweight the cons by thousandsssss. Even if I end up hating the cold weather (this is totally possible) there are so many better things over there that I will gladly bear with it.

But thanks for the warnings, I'm mentally preparing myself for my first winter in there :)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I realize the cold in Canada is really cold (more than I can begin to imagine for sure) and that's a con for most people.

But I'm moving from Venezuela and trust me, the pros outweight the cons by thousandsssss. Even if I end up hating the cold weather (this is totally possible) there are so many better things over there that I will gladly bear with it.

But thanks for the warnings, I'm mentally preparing myself for my first winter in there :)

Vancouver has a relatively stable temperature throughout though.

(Note that I said temperature, not weather).

Stet

Banned
Thanks Saudi Arabia, you utter dicks

You can't blame Saudi Arabia for this. They control the wealth of a commodity, they can do what they want to lower prices because it's not anti-consumer. It's the fault of Canada for relying on one single commodity for wealth.

If Saudi Arabia went bankrupt because oil became worthless, nobody would blame anyone but them for relying on it.

mdubs

Banned
You can't blame Saudi Arabia for this. They control the wealth of a commodity, they can do what they want to lower prices because it's not anti-consumer. It's the fault of Canada for relying on one single commodity for wealth.

If Saudi Arabia went bankrupt because oil became worthless, nobody would blame anyone but them for relying on it.
I'm all for diversification of the economy, but they are doing this specifically to run us and Russia out of the oil business so I don't particularly care that it's pro consumer or whatever you want to call it. Lol at defending Saudi Arabia over Canada, ridiculous.

If all currencies are down, can't we just say that the Dollar went up in general!?

Kinda true but so much of our economy is relative to the US. Not so many people really cares about CAD vs Euro -- we don't export or import near as much stuff as we do VS the US. For one, this being a gaming forum, a fall vs USD will mean our games get more expensive. A fall vs the euro doesn't have such a direct effect on prices.

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to blame Saudi Arabia anyway since they literally didn't do anything. "Why isn't OPEC using their cartel to intervene in the market" is such a dumb question to ask.

Pachinko

This being Neogaf, the most damaging part of a lower canadian dollar is obviously game prices.

It was pretty nice having the CAD be worth 85 cents or more for almost the entirety of the xbox 360/wii/ps3 generation, most of the time our prices were at par or maybe 5$ more per game.

This is why when the US gamers out there were bitching about 60$ games I was like , well they've been 80$ a piece here forever so I didn't notice. If anything it felt like gaming got cheaper last gen.

It'll be quite a shock when that flips the other way soon. Games have been about 10$ more across the board for about a year now and as any sony fans know , the PS4 stopped getting shipped to Canada For the entire months of January and February last year. Our dollar had dropped to around 85 cents from 96 cents and it no longer made sense to sell it for 399.99 canadian. Finally, last march they started arriving in stores ... for 449.99 and many people bitched and felt robbed.

Well, rest easy people, at that same 449.99 price point , canada , when converted to US currency is the cheapest place on earth to buy a PS4. In other words, I expect another price increase here soon. Either that or , if a PS4 price drop happens in the US , we will simply get the exchange rate equivalent.

The largest price drop I can see hitting the states is perhaps 50$ and it's probably not happening until E3 2016, unless people stop buying PS4s, I guess you might see a price drop by this christmas. Either way, my point is that even if the PS4 went down to 349.99 USD, if our dollar is only worth say 75 cents at the time... that's still 469.99 canadian.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't get my hopes up of paying less then 450 canadian for a PS4 any time soon. In fact, to twist the blade in your chest a bit - it would take a 100$ price drop in USD to make the canadian PS4 go back down to 399.99$ if our dollar gets down to 75 cents.

The writing is clearly on the wall for our economy these next couple of years , Canada has lost 25,000 plus jobs in the last month alone thanks to the oil price tanking and the bank of canada did an interest rate drop which means growth is going to slow down so fewer companies will invest in the country because they won't see profits fast enough.

Sakura

Well, rest easy people, at that same 449.99 price point , canada , when converted to US currency is the cheapest place on earth to buy a PS4. In other words, I expect another price increase here soon.
No it's not. PS4 in Japan is like 39,980 yen before tax. Which is only like 340 US.

As an international student, it's exciting when receiving money from a country where your dollar's on-par with the US'! Basically got 25% extra.

Not so fun the other way around, as I found out today :(

Miutsu

Vancouver has a relatively stable temperature throughout though.

(Note that I said temperature, not weather).

Yeah I've read that Vancouver is one of the warmest cities of the country (among other things it is good at), but in the meantime I should stay in Quebec since I'm going thanks to one of their immigration programs.

In the future depending on how things go in Montreal (where I'm arriving) I might look into other places such as Vancouver, not right now though.

lupinko

I hate Harper and all, but for Canadians that care about the dollar, hope that Barry doesn't veto Keystone, which the GOP just passed in the senate.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I hate Harper and all, but for Canadians that care about the dollar, hope that Barry doesn't veto Keystone, which the GOP just passed in the senate.

You should hope the Conservatives stop propping up the house bubble through the BOC. That's a much bigger threat to the dollar than Keystone.

Syriel

Chicago will see your cold and raise you wind chill. :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah I've read that Vancouver is one of the warmest cities of the country (among other things it is good at), but in the meantime I should stay in Quebec since I'm going thanks to one of their immigration programs.

In the future depending on how things go in Montreal (where I'm arriving) I might look into other places such as Vancouver, not right now though.

Heard that Vancouver is often cloudy and rainy. Anyway, that's what I heard(never been there actually). If you like sunny days, there could be better cities I guess. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom