• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it went from something I almost never used to something I use almost every day.

is it worth the 5 dollars a month? thinking of using it mainly for netflix. my girlfriend uses netflix on wii, will I have to redownload the netflix app? also, does this work for hulu?

C-Jo

is it worth the 5 dollars a month? thinking of using it mainly for netflix. my girlfriend uses netflix on wii, will I have to redownload the netflix app? also, does this work for hulu?

I think it's worth $5 a month, yeah. It's a VPN, so it can be for whatever you need it to be: Netflix, Hulu, Comedy Central, etc.

I'm not sure of what the process is for the Wii, but the website has detailed walkthroughs for just about everything.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to the folks who posted the Best Buy Assassin's Creed Vita deal last week. I managed to get the AC Liberation Vita bundle for $249 with the $50 gift card, and then sold the AC Liberation card that came with it for another $25. $175 for a white Vita and 4gb memory card was a steal. Thanks again!

Sora_N

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to the folks who posted the Best Buy Assassin's Creed Vita deal last week. I managed to get the AC Liberation Vita bundle for $249 with the $50 gift card, and then sold the AC Liberation card that came with it for another $25. $175 for a white Vita and 4gb memory card was a steal. Thanks again!

The AC in the bundle is a DL code?

The AC in the bundle is a DL code?

Nah it comes with the AC Liberation game and the 4gb card in a little clamshell case. It's just the game card though, no case or anything like that.
Edit: Kind of like how they used to pack in UMDs in little cardboard sleeves instead of the cases for the PSP.

Sora_N

Nah it comes with the AC Liberation game and the 4gb card in a little clamshell case. It's just the game card though, no case or anything like that.
Edit: Kind of like how they used to pack in UMDs in little cardboard sleeves instead of the cases for the PSP.

Ah damn, same old cheapo bundles.

I never opened the UMD or the Daxter game with my PSP 2000 lol.

Vamphuntr

Surprised Wario has not posted this yet. You can get PC games for free on the EU ubisoft store if they are priced 10 Euro and under by using the code UBIPGW10 at checkout (takes 10 Euro off). Some can be activated on steam. So far it seems to work in the France store. You need to use a proxy as the ubistore does an IP check before offering you their catalog.

Found this on RFD so you might have to hurry before they abuse it.

Store link
http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/f...dex.0/plat.pcdownload/sort.listPrice/order.up

Sora_N

Surprised Wario has not posted this yet. You can get PC games for free on the EU ubisoft store if they are priced 10 Euro and under by using the code UBIPGW10 at checkout (takes 10 Euro off). Some can be activated on steam. So far it seems to work in the France store. You need to use a proxy as the ubistore does an IP check before offering you their catalog.

Store link
http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/f...dex.0/plat.pcdownload/sort.listPrice/order.up

If only I wasn't at work I would do this...

Palehorse

Store link

I did get this to work, apparently I have a copy of World in Conflict coming to me, but I haven't gotten the code yet. I'll update if it arrives.

Did anyone preorder a WiiU from futureshop.ca?

They keep saying on their forums that if you were able to preorder you'll get one during launch week. Should I believe that claim?

Did anyone preorder a WiiU from futureshop.ca?

They keep saying on their forums that if you were able to preorder you'll get one during launch week. Should I believe that claim?

I see no reason why not. Stock is probably going to be hitting back rooms by early next week. They probably have the numbers of what they are actually receiving by now.

KarmaCow

2 cellphone related questions.

1) If I don't care about data plans, is it best to get a Nexus 4 and go month to month on Wind? The SD card slot on the Galaxy S3 would be nice but I don't want to get locked to a 3 year plan data plan.

2) Is Google only selling the Nexus 4 from their store? I want to get it locally just incase I have to get it replaced or something.

I wouldn't order anything over $20 from abroad these days unless you want to risk Canada Post's new $10 handling fee.

When did they add a new handling fee? I've had some stuff from the States I got off Ebay during October (over $20) and just yesterday a 3 Blu-ray set from Amazon.co.uk (about $40 CDN) and I didn't get changed a cent on anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They upped the customs fee a while ago it seems.

If your package gets hit by duties, you need to pay both the tax and the 10 dollar fee.

It just depends on how lucky/unlucky you are. I think anything under 100 dollars is likely to get through without a problem.

zroid

Banned
I've been hit with customs fees and Canada Post's stupid handling fee enough times to have learned a few tips.

The rule is gifts valued at $60 or less are non-taxable; purchases valued at $20 or more are taxable.

However, in the vast majority of cases, if your item is valued under $60, they will simply ignore it, whether or not it's actually a gift. BUT, the larger the parcel, the more likely it is they'll take notice and tax you if it's under $60.

There's some luck involved, definitely, but you can gauge how likely you are to get dinged in this way.

iphys

Yeah, it's really random sometimes. Once I got charged the tax/handling fee on a package of 3 T-shirts that they decided to value at $7 each, but another time I had a $100 camera sneak through.

Gadirok

I was about to order a pulse headset from ebay for $130 a few days ago but then realized customs might hit, especially since its coming state side.

I ordered quite a few gunpla kits in the past (valued exactly at $60). The boxes aren't too large but I order them one at a time. To date, I've never been hit by customs and have been following this kind of practice. Seen alot of other people who order gunpla in Canada get hit by customs when they have large packages. Especially the reviewers since they like to order in bulk. Essentially kills any deal you got.

I have a $35 store credit at Play Asia, I want to order Blops II from them, I am in no hurry to play the game but I know that I will buy it, eventually. Might as well use that store credit.

Right?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I've been hit with customs fees and Canada Post's stupid handling fee enough times to have learned a few tips.

The rule is gifts valued at $60 or less are non-taxable; purchases valued at $20 or more are taxable.

However, in the vast majority of cases, if your item is valued under $60, they will simply ignore it, whether or not it's actually a gift. BUT, the larger the parcel, the more likely it is they'll take notice and tax you if it's under $60.

There's some luck involved, definitely, but you can gauge how likely you are to get dinged in this way.

To be honest I think that it's more random than anything. A couple of days ago I received a $200 game from Play Asia and did not have to pay an extra penny. Yet I've ordered a $20 game from Play Asia and got hit with bullshit fees.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just avoid any cross border shipping via UPS. There's no luck involved there; You WILL be abused with fees and brokerage charges.

That's cool I guess. I pre-ordered Black Ops 2 well before September 7th and I got an email from future shop saying:

Thank you for ordering Call of Duty: Black Ops II from Futureshop.ca.

On September 7, 2012, Future Shop offered an exclusive Call of Duty: Black Ops II SteelBook case as a BONUS gift with purchase to all customers who pre-order the game. We are pleased to inform you we extended this offer to all customers who pre-ordered before September 7, 2012.

If you would like to receive an exclusive Call of Duty: Black Ops II SteelBook, please complete the following:

I'll take it.

elty

I think it is more like

If the custom clearing is handled by Canada Post, then your package have a chance to slip through untax even if it is at $100+.

If it is handled by courier like UPS, then you are most likely going to get ding on $20.01.

zroid

Banned
holy craaaap, Paper Mario already shipped, and the tracking info estimates delivery tomorrow! looks like I'll be getting it a couple days before the street date, WOO HOO

Anyone else?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
holy craaaap, Paper Mario already shipped, and the tracking info estimates delivery tomorrow! looks like I'll be getting it a couple days before the street date, WOO HOO

Anyone else?

So lucky, but I got mine 'for free' by trading in a EBgames so I guess I can wait. Siiiiigh.

isny

napkin dispenser

Anyone else?

My BB order:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo 3DS)
Item Status: Pre-Order
Release Date: 11/11/2012
$19.99

Order Status

In Progress

ohlawd

doesn't look like FS is doing a T1 for Paper Mario.

ah man. Looks like I'm getting the game a week after release unless there are other alternatives.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Anyone else?
I got a shipping notice for it from BB. In fact, I forgot to cancel one of them so I'll be getting 2 of them so I guess I'll be making a trip to return one.

iphys

Holy smokes, my Paper Mario shipped from BB too, so I'll probably get it Monday. Usually it's Tuesday if they ship on Friday night.

isny

napkin dispenser
Trying to change my BB CC info...and this is what happens, lol

YfeNdl.jpg

iphys

Yeah, I think that's an old bug that they apparently apply your discounts twice if you change your payment method, but not in actuality, so I guess that's why they never bother to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom