• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Weird that Paper Mario Sticker Star is $29.99 at Best Buy, but $39.99 at Future Shop and EBGames ... oh well! Time to price match :).

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've been so tempted to get that game...but ugh my backlog.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a few eShop games to finish and I haven't played much of Professor Layton. I blame final year of Uni lol.

I've also got to pick up Crashmo, Wario Land 2 and a few other eShop titles.

There's too much stuff on Nintendo platforms at this time - and not enough time to play.

Check Toys'R'Us. They were trying to clear out their "Hannah Montana" bundles for $75. Last time I checked they weren't selling because manly PSP owners are afraid that awesome colors will turn them gay (the PSP is lilac, aka light purple). I got one and the color made me love my PSP. It didn't make me love penis.

Excellent advice. I just found a lilac PSP at The Source for $40. That's with tax! I'm totally okay with lilac for that price.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
WHY, YES

Yes. You. Do.
I still need to play more of/beat Pushmo! I've been slacking :(

I want to so badly, but I know for certain it will be $10 or $15 on boxing day. I just can't pull the trigger!
Yeah ... kinda regretting it now lol. Oh well.

Also my bluray player crapped out. This is what I get for buying a cheapo LG bluray player from Walmart. At least it's Walmart. I hope I can return it even though it's been about 5 months, I've barely used the bluray player.

Sera O

Banned
Excellent advice. I just found a lilac PSP at The Source for $40. That's with tax! I'm totally okay with lilac for that price.

Whoa, that's so freakin' cheap and I liked the lilac colour. Need to see if I can find one of these. Might be nice to have an extra for cfw stuff.

Sora_N

I still need to play more of/beat Pushmo! I've been slacking :(

Bought Pushmo last week, I've been playing every couple days whenever I have a bit of time, or when I can't sleep. Great game for that!

I'm still stuck on the last level in the first bunch of levels. The murals are fun so far though. :)

Has anyone seen the new Toys R' Us flyer? They're having a mix and match game sale. Buy any 2 games, $29.99+ for any system, save $10. Buy three, save $15. And 15% off Wii and Wii U accessories.

Seems like a pretty good deal.

zroid

Banned
Ah, the old TRU Holiday Mix & Match. They've gimped it a fair deal since 2010. A couple years ago I saved $30 on a pair of games.

Sora_N

Has anyone seen the new Toys R' Us flyer? They're having a mix and match game sale. Buy any 2 games, $29.99+ for any system, save $10. Buy three, save $15. And 15% off Wii and Wii U accessories.

Seems like a pretty good deal.

It was BOGO 40% off last week (ends tonight), can be a better deal if you buy 29.99+ games and best when you buy 2 games around the same price.

The BOGO $10 off one is the weaker one they always have after the better ones.

I just quit my job at Toys 'R Us last week actually, the discount on top of sales made things a pretty good deal. WIll definitely miss that a bit.

Is this online too?

Doesn't look like it. They are doing B1G1 40% off. It says the lower valued game gets the discount but it seems to be applying the discount to whichever game is added second.

trudeal.JPG

Does anyone know if the 169 3DS XL deal at Best Buy will be happening in Canada?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Far Cry 3 code as well, I'm not going to use it. If you want it, PM me.

zroid

Banned
Spotted the Avatar Extended blu-ray set at Costco for $16.49. First time I've seen it below $20, reeeal tempted.

edit: ho, wow, it's actually under 20 just about everywhere now. Still more than $16.49 though. I guess I can wait.

Firestorm

Spotted the Avatar Extended blu-ray set at Costco for $16.49. First time I've seen it below $20, reeeal tempted.

edit: ho, wow, it's actually under 20 just about everywhere now. Still more than $16.49 though. I guess I can wait.
You reminded me the 3D version is finally out. Just searched it up and definitely within Christmas gift range. Anyone know what the difference is between the two here on Best Buy?

Has anyone heard any buzz about a white vita bundle for boxing day? I'm getting a lot of giftcards coming my way, figured I'm either going to plunk them all down at metrotown or best buy.

zroid

Banned
You reminded me the 3D version is finally out. Just searched it up and definitely within Christmas gift range. Anyone know what the difference is between the two here on Best Buy?
Apparently the extended collector's edition also has two SKUs available, the cheaper of which releases on Dec 11 (same as with the 3D). I'm guessing it's the same thing, just a budget re-release.

Hey You

Anyone here work at Superstore or another Loblaw company?

If so, are we allowed to work at two different stores?

Reason is I'm only getting 21-25 hours per week and I could/want to be working more. I'm going to ask my manager the next time I go to work (next week :/), but I figured I see if anyone does this currently.

Cheerilee

Anyone here work at Superstore or another Loblaw company?

If so, are we allowed to work at two different stores?

Reason is I'm only getting 21-25 hours per week and I could/want to be working more. I'm going to ask my manager the next time I go to work (next week :/), but I figured I see if anyone does this currently.

I've known a number of people who worked in the warehouse.

I don't think that your idea would work, because once Loblaws has you in their system, you're in. If you were to quit one store and apply at another, I believe things like your seniority would carry over. Basically there's no way to get a "fresh start" with Loblaws. So if you somehow got another store to hire you and give you 25 hours-per-week, you'd accidentally be getting 50 hours-per-week from Loblaws, and then they'd have to pay you overtime, and then they'd freak out because that cannot be allowed to happen.

Loblaws is fond of keeping their employees part-time because the full-timers have to be paid more benefits. AFAIK, 25 hours per week (5 hours a day, 5 days a week) is normally the most that they give anyone. If you're good at your job and the manager likes you, you might get an extra hour now and then on a per-occasion basis if they're screwed somehow and need the extra help. Like, if two people called in sick that day, and they're down ten hours worth of labor, they'll pick their ten favorite guys to each put in just one extra hour.

Everyone I knew or heard of from Superstore who took on a second job took it somewhere completely unrelated. On the plus side, apparently a lot of warehouse jobs that are similar to Superstore's warehouse job aren't quite as difficult as Superstore's, so if you have Superstore experience, that can be seen as a big asset elsewhere. I expect that holds true for any branch of Loblaws.

But I'm pretty sure there are people here who know more about this than I do.

Edit: Fake ID. Fake ID works. I remember hearing someone mentioning that people who were fired have gotten back in with fake ID.

Some lukewarm stuff from EB Games

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy -- $29.99
[3DS] Rhythm Thief + The Emperors New Groove -- $19.99
[NDS] Devil Survivor 2 -- $19.99

Edit: Also these prices on Amazon.ca, sold by Amazon. Full price elsewhere.

suikodan

Anyone knows if the 3DS XL is still 150$ at Costco? I'm going to check this afternoon anyways but knowing for sure would save me a trip.

Hey You

I didn't mean quit then apply at another store, I meant work like 3 days at one store then 2 at the other. Have like 36.5 hours or something, just under the full time hours.

If I'm not allowed to work at two different stores, I'll probably work at Timmies or Mcdonalds.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Some lukewarm stuff from EB Games

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy -- $29.99
[3DS] Rhythm Thief + The Emperors New Groove -- $19.99
[NDS] Devil Survivor 2 -- $19.99

Edit: Also these prices on Amazon.ca, sold by Amazon. Full price elsewhere.
You should've shared the good deal at EB.

z9szE.jpg

GET A SELECT PS3 OR PS VITA FOR $20
When you trade in 10 games

Starting Dec 7, Get a select PS3 or a PS Vita for $20, when you trade in 10 games with a minimum trade value of $8 each.
Offer ends December 14, 2012. Offer valid towards specific titles. Minimum $8 trade value. Maximum 10 titles accepted for trade. Cannot be combined with other trade offers. Duplicates not accepted. Game traded must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer not valid towards Visa/MC prepaid gift cards. Subject to manager approval. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change at anytime. Offer valid at participating stores. Restrictions apply in Winnipeg. See sales associate for complete details.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It'll be a lot of work just to get 10 games unless you bought a lot of 2012 titles.
I just wish EB listed trade-in values on their site instead of having to rely on potentially out of date data on tivs.ca.

A few of other deals.

Best Buy

Buy 2 $30 PS3 HD Collection games and save $10.
Wonderbook - $30
Wonderbook Move bundle - $60
Hitman: Absolution - $40 (only the Xbox 360 version)

Everything else is pretty much full price or cheaper elsewhere (like the 3DS XL MK bundle at The Source).

Anyone knows if the 3DS XL is still 150$ at Costco? I'm going to check this afternoon anyways but knowing for sure would save me a trip.

I've been trying to find this out too. It's the best deal next to the Mario Kart Bundle at The Source with the $40 gift card.

If you find out, please let me know.

krae_man

Playstation 3D TV is $179 now. How many more of those things are still in the supply chain.

At this rate there will be a $249 PS3 bundle with it boxing day.

I think they sold a lot at $150 during Black Friday... I remember seeing about 50 stacked in a corner of Future Shop and they're now down to about 10.

Cheerilee

I didn't mean quit then apply at another store, I meant work like 3 days at one store then 2 at the other. Have like 36.5 hours or something, just under the full time hours.

If I'm not allowed to work at two different stores, I'll probably work at Timmies or Mcdonalds.

Oh, I know. I just used that as an example of how once you're in the Loblaws system, you're in, and they keep a record of who you are and what your current status is.

Anyways, I chatted with one of my friends, and he says he doesn't think you can take two different positions within Loblaws, but that you can freely transfer between Loblaws positions (provided the new manager is willing to have you), and some positions offer more hours than others. The Superstore warehouse on Marine in Vancouver for instance is currently giving out 35 hours-per-week, he says.

Seems like a good idea to ask around and see which stores and positions are giving out more hours, and then have a talk with your manager and tell him that you'd like more hours. If he says he can't give them to you, maybe ask for a transfer.

It's also not unheard of for one department of Loblaws to "loan" some of their employees to another department. Like, a few years back when the Marine warehouse was only offering 25 hours or less, apparently the Calgary warehouse was having trouble, so the Marine warehouse asked for volunteers who wanted to spend a week working as many hours as you could handle in Calgary. That makes me think that you might be able to "work" two different jobs within Loblaws while technically only holding down one. That's something your manager might be able to do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom