• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech_Junk

Neo Member
I wasn't too sure if the peeps on RFD should be trusted. I might give that a shot then. It's obviously best to deal with someone local as well. I'd rather hand someone the product.

Edit: I was shocked to discover that my 2nd gen Apple TV might net me over $100 if I have the right firmware. Apparently the jailbreaking possibilities on that device make it valuable.

Sold my Apple TV in July on kijiji for $230 I believe after putting in the alternate firmware. Wasn't for me, tried it out and ran like shit, so sold it and bought a new one with the profit.

Tech_Junk

Neo Member
Has anyone here ordered and/or received Under Defeat HD from Amazon.ca? I pre-ordered and it went out of stock/3rd party seller before the release date.

Follow-up question: Do you guys know of another retailer, within Canada, that carries it?

Never tried it myself, but apparently you can buy from amazon.com as well. Have to pay duties, but I remember reading amazon calculates it in the price you pay. Worth a try, I didn't see it listed anywhere else. Good luck!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought I'd offer this to Toronto GAF before putting up on RFD.

It's a 16GB Nexus 7 purchased on October 1st 2012. I'm also throwing in a docking station, two USB cables, and a case all for the wonderful price of $150!!!! Original packaging is included as well.

I took a specific picture of the left side. There is a "slight rise" to it but it has never caused a problem in over two months of heavy use. There is also some slight scratching on the top silver part of the device above the camera. I should have probably used the case more.

I'll keep this up here for a couple of days before moving to RFD. Let me know if you have any questions.

Man, I'd probably be willing to pick that up if I had the cash.

zroid

Banned
Ergh, my Walking Dead shipment seems to have gone awol...

The last tracking update was the item being "picked up by Canada Post", and that was more than 24 hours ago. Normally it would be processed at the postal facility shorly after that, but it never happened :(

The expected delivery date still says Dec 12, even (._. )

The last tracking update was the item being "picked up by Canada Post", and that was more than 24 hours ago. Normally it would be processed at the postal facility shorly after that, but it never happened :(

These days I barely get any update from Canada Post website but the packages all show up on the usual time. I would not worry too much, it must be due to Christmas!

zroid

Banned
These days I barely get any update from Canada Post website but the packages all show up on the usual time. I would not worry too much, it must be due to Christmas!

I hope so ;_;

The last time they actually lost something I ordered, it was such a hassle getting a replacement sent

Sold my Apple TV in July on kijiji for $230 I believe after putting in the alternate firmware. Wasn't for me, tried it out and ran like shit, so sold it and bought a new one with the profit.

Mine is firmware 5.0.2 so I think it's good to jailbreak. It was also from the launch so I'm sure it's the easiest to hack. I'm wondering if I should just pre-jailbreak it then. I was going to let the end user do it but for around $230 I might as well. I see people on eBay still getting about that much for it. Pretty insane.

I was about to sell it for $40 a couple of weeks ago. lol.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got 2 6 packs of Westvleteren 12. My roommate got 2 as well.

Got there at 8:30 and the store was opening at 10. There were 100 people by 9. The store didn't hand out numbers...they just let the line get bigger and bigger...ended with about 150-200 people. They only had 45 6 packs. I didn't think it would be this exclusive.

Thanks for coming isny!

isny

napkin dispenser
Got 2 6 packs of Westvleteren 12. My roommate got 2 as well.

Got there at 8:30 and the store was opening at 10. There were 100 people by 9. The store didn't hand out numbers...they just let the line get bigger and bigger...ended with about 150-200 people. They only had 45 6 packs. I didn't think it would be this exclusive.

Thanks for coming isny!

So cold...

But yeah, they really dropped the ball by letting a good hundred or more people wait while knowing that they didn't have enough for everyone.

kennah

If you're local then perhaps. Not sure how much of my 12 will be accounted for by friends/gifts yet. I can let you know if I do.

You're Ottawa right? I'm in Winnipeg, but have a friend in Ottawa who would gladly pickup/courier. Worst case scenario is it ages at his place until I drive though again (once a year). Let me know! :D

Sora_N

No problem. I will try to keep this community abreast of any SDM deals.

Yeah thanks a lot, I missed out on 20x points but I finally got to replace my Soul Silver, felt so bad that I lost my first game but it's $40 and I couldn't stand to pay that much. I managed to find a remote+ for $20 too so even better. :)

zroid

Banned
I have next week's flyer, incidentally.

Don't see anything particularly eye-catching

edit: 3DS XLs are $169.99. Not bad, I guess.

Palehorse

Has anyone checked out Victoria SDMs? I was going to drop into a couple after work today, should I even bother?

I have Zelda OOT but was interested in a cheap Layon game.

Edit: Lol, while I would enjoy a cheap layon, I am also looking for a cheap Layton game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

I was asleep and missed the CP delivery today. It says I can pick it up after 5pm but I'll have to wait until tomorrow because I'll be at work. At least tomorrow is the start of my 3-day weekend. :)

zroid

Banned
I was asleep and missed the CP delivery today. It says I can pick it up after 5pm but I'll have to wait until tomorrow because I'll be at work. At least tomorrow is the start of my 3-day weekend. :)

Oh yeah, regarding this, I ended up getting it today :lol

I guess someone found it under a table in the Mississauga facility, or something :p

iphys

If you buy SDM gift cards you get regular Optimum points, but no 18500 bonus points or 20x points. Other gift cards are no points whatsoever.

I think they raised the minimum because it's before x-mas and they figure people need to spend more anyway, so why not do all your x-mas shopping at Shoppers everyone, lol. I hope it's not permanent, because last year they had a higher-than-normal minimum for a 20x event in December too, so I think it's just a December thing.

They did send people cards trying to tempt them to do this event to get points for "the upcoming spend your points event" (mega redemption?) though, so it might be worth topping up your points for some people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still have no idea what I could spend at SDM to make having all these points worth it. lol

I hope they're still selling electronics whenever the next consoles launch, because I don't know what else I'd spend a couple hundred bucks (at once!) on.

iphys

Even if they had no electronics, I'd still shop there for the food deals, but I'd probably never do the top redemptions because it would be too hard to buy that much food at once. I think they will probably keep the electronics though, because they know they're the big incentive items for the Optimum program.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even if they had no electronics, I'd still shop there for the food deals, but I'd probably never do the top redemptions because it would be too hard to buy that much food at once. I think they will probably keep the electronics though, because they know they're the big incentive items for the Optimum program.
Yeah, that's the problem. It's only "good" if you redeem 200 bucks or whatever... but what could you buy there that is over 200 bucks before taxes?

If only you could buy giftcards. :p

Aske

I have next week's flyer, incidentally.

Don't see anything particularly eye-catching

edit: 3DS XLs are $169.99. Not bad, I guess.

Sweet. Does this include the MK7 bundle? Presumably this signifies Canada finally catching up to the States' recent 3DS XL price drop. Looks like I'll be picking one up after all.

Conceptor

If you buy SDM gift cards you get regular Optimum points, but no 18500 bonus points or 20x points. Other gift cards are no points whatsoever.
It was recently changed to this I think.. I recall people coming in and buying just SDM gift cards during 20x events with their previously bought gift cards :lol

Lol what? Well I had a feeling I could buy a GC and get the bonus, I honestly might do it if it works. I'll just ask on Saturday!
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. I'm pretty sure what iphys said is correct. I'm just referring to something from a few months ago

Sora_N

It was recently changed to this I think.. I recall people coming in and buying just SDM gift cards during 20x events with their previously bought gift cards :lol

Lol what? Well I had a feeling I could buy a GC and get the bonus, I honestly might do it if it works. I'll just ask on Saturday!

iphys

Yeah, that's the problem. It's only "good" if you redeem 200 bucks or whatever... but what could you buy there that is over 200 bucks before taxes?

If only you could buy giftcards. :p

Sometimes I've pondered redeeming 8000 points for $10 toward weekly specials though. It's only half as good as saving up for the top redemption, but considering the weekly specials are usually around half the regular price, it probably wouldn't be a total waste to use your Optimum points that way if you had to. It would probably be wiser than blowing them on expensive items that you wouldn't even want otherwise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sometimes I've pondered redeeming 8000 points for $10 toward weekly specials though. It's only half as good as saving up for the top redemption, but considering the weekly specials are usually around half the regular price, it probably wouldn't be a total waste to use your Optimum points that way if you had to. It would probably be wiser than blowing them on expensive items that you wouldn't even want otherwise.
Maybe that's the way to think about it. Getting something that's already super cheap for free as opposed to waiting for a big ticket item that you'll never find.

Sora_N

I'm still saving up for a Vita. :( Maybe I should just wait till 50000 points and just redeem for one, but don't really have the funds atm.

Has anyone checked out Victoria SDMs? I was going to drop into a couple after work today, should I even bother?

I have Zelda OOT but was interested in a cheap Layon game.

Edit: Lol, while I would enjoy a cheap layon, I am also looking for a cheap Layton game.

The one out at Langford didn't have much besides Flingsmash for $30 and Mario Tennis 3DS for $20 when I looked the other day.

zroid

Banned
Weird, my TWD didn't ship with a packing slip...

Also I was out shopping with my mom and we stopped by Shoppers... I picked up a copy of the final Nintendo Power issue. Got 20% off with the seniors' discount! :D~

Sora_N

If you did a price adjustment they actually have to look it up again even if your updated pdf receipt shows the price. :/ Took the girl like 5-6 minutes longer because she had to look things up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
For anyone who uses Kobo, a couple coupons (one time use):

30% off: fG4eHWq fg6QitD FGH6PJz fGmjCRs fgPmpH9 fhjxnb9 FHpkyQ4 FHpkyQ4 fHRUiU7
25% off: fGm7szQ fgmCQxx fGR4hhT FhextmV FHRbE3D

Their current contest is pretty abusable. But sadly, coupons can't be applied to all the books in their collection. I gave up when I realized that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom