• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Anyone know where I can get a wall mount for a TV? One that would rotate to an angle away from the wall?

Will begin looking tomorrow but sometimes there's someone here that immediately knows where to go

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Anyone know where I can get a wall mount for a TV? One that would rotate to an angle away from the wall?

Will begin looking tomorrow but sometimes there's someone here that immediately knows where to go

Future Shop sells wallmounts. I was looking for one myself one time, and they had like... 4 or 5 different models, from small&static to very fancy ones that would have up/down left/right angle as well as an arm to move the TV into the middle of the room. Saw them all at the one on Granville&Robson.

ojsinnerz

Neo Member
What's the sitch on Fire Emblem? Are stores selling them yet or will they be held back until the 4th?

I picked up my copy on Wednessday from EB. When I first asked them about it, they told me they're actually not allowed to sell any copies anymore until the release date. I told them I had a pre-order, and the person was nice enough to give me the game and the artbook.

Smiley90

What's the sitch on Fire Emblem? Are stores selling them yet or will they be held back until the 4th?

I picked up my copy on Wednessday from EB. When I first asked them about it, they told me they're actually not allowed to sell any copies anymore until the release date. I told them I had a pre-order, and the person was nice enough to give me the game and the artbook.

Yeah, they broke the street date on Wednesday, but as soon as Nintendo heard of that they pretty much bitchslapped EB and Best Buy into taking them off the shelves again. I called EB, and the guy on the phone said several times "that was a huge mistake by our company". They probably thought they could just sell it, but Nintendo wants them to actually respect the official release date. Those who got it on Wednesday got lucky.

Sora_N

Yeah, they broke the street date on Wednesday, but as soon as Nintendo heard of that they pretty much bitchslapped EB and Best Buy into taking them off the shelves again. I called EB, and the guy on the phone said several times "that was a huge mistake by our company". They probably thought they could just sell it, but Nintendo wants them to actually respect the official release date. Those who got it on Wednesday got lucky.

:D

(sorry)

Also I checked FS and they've actually got a nice one on sale that should be perfect. So good call.

Just gonna say that it's worth the wait for those who have to wait a bit. :)

Smiley90

:D

(sorry)

Also I checked FS and they've actually got a nice one on sale that should be perfect. So good call.

Sucker.

And oh, didn't even know they had some on sale too, nice.

Also, DEFINITELY gonna get it once it's out. I wanted it on Thursday :(

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies if this is off-topic, but there's been a lot of Gaf threads lately about cutting cable, and I wonder how feasible this is for us Canadians. I'd love to do it, and I know network stuff is usually streamed online the next day, but what about cable stuff? Is HBOGo available in Canada, anyone know what the options are for AMC and FX?

Apologies if this is off-topic, but there's been a lot of Gaf threads lately about cutting cable, and I wonder how feasible this is for us Canadians. I'd love to do it, and I know network stuff is usually streamed online the next day, but what about cable stuff? Is HBOGo available in Canada, anyone know what the options are for AMC and FX?

My biggest barrier right now is sports. I'd pay for mlb.tv but Jays games are blacked out.

iphys

I have no cable, and I don't really understand why people pay so much for it. Hockey Night in Canada looks fantastic over antenna now that it's digital, and I prefer to wait and borrow DVD seasons from the library to watch them all at once without commercials than to watch shows on TV.

xclaw

I have no cable, and I don't really understand why people pay so much for it. Hockey Night in Canada looks fantastic over antenna now that it's digital, and I prefer to wait and borrow DVD seasons from the library to watch them all at once without commercials than to watch shows on TV.

Can't get Sportnet over the air I don't think and can you even get OTA HD in the Okanagan valley yet? Otherwise I'd have kept cable cancelled at the start of the NHL season.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I could never wait that long for my favourite shows.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

OTA Antenna will cover a lot of stuff

CBC streams everything

Netflix is pretty good

Use a VPN to get Hulu -- https://mediahint.com/ is a free VPN which works with Hulu.

TechJunk

I'm in the process of cutting the cord. Picked up a NorthVu NV20 Amplified antenna from the Source ($70) for CBC, Ctv and Ctv Two (also get a couple French channels). Signed up through unblock-us, and now have American Netflix and Hulu Plus. For the couple shows I miss (Hbo and Showtime), technically there's iTunes Store, friends with DVDs of seasons or other, morally ambiguous ways of getting them.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm in the process of cutting the cord. Picked up a NorthVu NV20 Amplified antenna from the Source ($70) for CBC, Ctv and Ctv Two (also get a couple French channels). Signed up through unblock-us, and now have American Netflix and Hulu Plus. For the couple shows I miss (Hbo and Showtime), technically there's iTunes Store, friends with DVDs of seasons or other, morally ambiguous ways of getting them.

You don't need unblock US. Just use Media Hint.

TechJunk

You don't need unblock US. Just use Media Hint.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Edit: Just looking into it now, looks like its browser-based only, so impossible to access from my Apple TV, unless I'm missing something.

isny

napkin dispenser
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Edit: Just looking into it now, looks like its browser-based only, so impossible to access from my Apple TV, unless I'm missing something.

Ah, I missed that if you said you were using an Apple TV, my bad.

Thats messed up! I guess I havent bought anything from Nintendo that wasnt considered a big release in a long time, haha.

Well then any deals I should know about when I go buy it tomorrow? haha

MarkusRJR

So I purchased a bunch of games off ebay from US sellers. Should I expect any surprise import charges when I get the games? If so, how much do you think?

iphys

So I purchased a bunch of games off ebay from US sellers. Should I expect any surprise import charges when I get the games? If so, how much do you think?

Assuming it's Canada Post delivering, it's a $10 handling fee plus taxes for any package over $20 in value. Stuff over $20 often sneaks through anyway though, especially if it's something small like a game.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
I'm gonna pick up the Hyrule Historia off Amazon.ca, but it's a few dollars short to qualify for free shipping.
Can you guys suggest to me something $10 or under, that qualifies for super saver shipping off amazon.ca?
Gaming related or not, doesn't matter to me. Just looking for some interesting ideas.

frequency

I'm gonna pick up the Hyrule Historia off Amazon.ca, but it's a few dollars short to qualify for free shipping.
Can you guys suggest to me something $10 or under, that qualifies for super saver shipping off amazon.ca?
Gaming related or not, doesn't matter to me. Just looking for some interesting ideas.

Maybe a screen protector for something you have? PSV, 3DS, WiiU, phone, tablet?

Do you have a PS3 and do you buy digital? You could maybe get a PSN card. I think Amazon.ca only has $20 cards though.

Or a Xbox card.
Or gaming accessories like cases for handheld consoles or games.
Or a calendar. Books. CDs.

You could also pre-order something with your order.

Your question is a little too open ended for specific suggestions.

MarkusRJR

Assuming it's Canada Post delivering, it's a $10 handling fee plus taxes for any package over $20 in value. Stuff over $20 often sneaks through anyway though, especially if it's something small like a game.
I have two packages from Canada Post and 5 from UPS. All arriving this week. I only have $45 of spending money. Do you think that should cover it or should I transfer over some money? What happens if I don't have any money on hand when the package arrives?

I have two packages from Canada Post and 5 from UPS. All arriving this week. I only have $45 of spending money. Do you think that should cover it or should I transfer over some money? What happens if I don't have any money on hand when the package arrives?

Assuming you paid less than retail for the games you probably won't get hit by the Canada Post fee, but if you do they leave a notice on your door saying what post office to pick them up and how much you owe. The delivery person doesn't collect the money unless they've changed things recently that I don't know about.

You might get hit by a Brokerage fee from UPS though if it's shipped with their standard service.
www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

I've never had to deal with that personally so I don't know how it works.

zroid

Banned
Assuming you paid less than retail for the games you probably won't get hit by the Canada Post fee, but if you do they leave a notice on your door saying what post office to pick them up and how much you owe. The delivery person doesn't collect the money unless they've changed things recently that I don't know about.

Yeah they'll collect the money if you're around when they ring.

Yeah they'll collect the money if you're around when they ring.

Really? Didn't know they did that. Guess I was just never around to get a package, I always get the cards.

Luckily I haven't been hit by the fee in years though. I never order anything overly large or over $40-50 so they don't usually bother.

Stage On

Thats messed up! I guess I havent bought anything from Nintendo that wasnt considered a big release in a long time, haha.

Well then any deals I should know about when I go buy it tomorrow? haha

The best deal for it I've seen was Best buy having $5 off when preordering

Cactus

Banned
I've never had to pay any sort of import fee despite purchasing a large number of items from other countries over the last few years. I guess I've been lucky?

zroid

Banned
I think I've been made to pay taxes and handling fees four times in total.

1. Life-sized replica of Soul Calibur (from US, cost about $30)
2. Clothes from jinx.com (US, cost about $120)
3. Blu-ray boxsets from amazon.co.uk (cost about $100)
4. A PVC anime figure (from Japan, cost about $130)

so you can see, generally they will get you if your package is either expensive ($100+) or really BIG, like the sword

Lothars

I've never had to pay any sort of import fee despite purchasing a large number of items from other countries over the last few years. I guess I've been lucky?
Nope most things you should never be charged customs for or anything, the only time I find that changes is depending on the shipping company like UPS loves to charge if it's not from amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom