• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Returners

So, after being able to price match with Amazon.com for a good long time at Best Buy, I was finally stopped. I bought a Vita cradle and asked to price match Amazon. She looked at my phone and told me they only do Amazon.ca. It wasn't a big deal, since it wasn't such a huge gap in pricing.

I figured they'd only do Amazon.ca, but I wanted to push my luck and see. And I've been lucky for the longest time with that.

Shucks, lol.

Man I never get luck with that in Toronto. That and the sales tax thing. Had that a couple of times back in Alberta. But Ontario catches on pretty quick.

frequency

It was a while ago but... At our house, Shaw actually cut the internet because of too much bandwidth use.

They sent an e-mail to say we had to talk to them. Which made no sense because they cut our internet so how were we supposed to check the e-mail? We called later to check if there was an outage or something and the customer service representative explained the situation.

We cancelled Shaw the next day.

The 3DS XL deal is so tempting. $159. But I just don't think I can justify getting it because I already have so many 3DS's and the last one I got was like $99.

amrod

It was a while ago but... At our house, Shaw actually cut the internet because of too much bandwidth use.

They sent an e-mail to say we had to talk to them. Which made no sense because they cut our internet so how were we supposed to check the e-mail? We called later to check if there was an outage or something and the customer service representative explained the situation.

Shaw is unlimited now, but you pay like 200 a month :\

frequency

Shaw is unlimited now, but you pay like 200 a month :\

After leaving Shaw, we went with the other popular option in the area. We're lucky enough to get unlimited with our ISP for about $45 a month. The speed is fast enough for what we need. I'm overall very happy with it.

I hope it stays this way forever.

Note: If anyone is able to figure out where I am with that information, please don't share. I'd prefer my specific province be private.

Sajjaja

After leaving Shaw, we went with the other popular option in the area. We're lucky enough to get unlimited with our ISP for about $45 a month. The speed is fast enough for what we need. I'm overall very happy with it.

I hope it stays this way forever.

Note: If anyone is able to figure out where I am with that information, please don't share. I'd prefer my specific province be private.

Is it Alberta?

Random guess.

Frequency, seeing your avatar all the time + the Tweet on the game official page yesterday is making me unable to wait for a confirmation of the game coming here...! Cannot wait AT ALL! haha

frequency

Frequency, seeing your avatar all the time + the Tweet on the game official page yesterday is making me unable to wait for a confirmation of the game coming here...! Cannot wait AT ALL! haha

Ahaha. My avatar is actually from Praying Brage (the browser game).

But it'll be exciting if they do localise Flying Fairy. I have the Japanese version but I'd buy the localised one too to support it. I'm still working through the game but if I had played this last year, it definitely would've been my game of the year. I wonder how the west will receive it though.

There was also this tweet a few hours ago: https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/307929760359645184
I'm not sure if that's the one you're talking about.

Ahaha. My avatar is actually from Praying Brage (the browser game).

But it'll be exciting if they do localise Flying Fairy. I have the Japanese version but I'd buy the localised one too to support it. I'm still working through the game but if I had played this last year, it definitely would've been my game of the year. I wonder how the west will receive it though.

There was also this tweet a few hours ago: https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/307929760359645184
I'm not sure if that's the one you're talking about.

Ohhhhhhhh nice I did not see that one! haha thanks!

How is the browser game?

Not sure if anyone even wants this but here is the NHL 13 Stanley Cup edition exclusive content code I never used. It's for PS3.

E388-P7NN-B8CM

R9EJ-6JNM-ML3G (booster pack)

CF3H-GBNR-8A9A (online pass, pretty sure I never used it)

And here is some John Madden/Barry Sanders pre-order code for Madden 13. Also PS3.

TF4E-H4N9-DK56

Luigi87

So happy I stopped playing Kid Icarus Uprising half-way through. I love the game, and experiencing the rest of it on the XL screen is so freaking nice.

L Thammy

Thanks to all of you who recommended NetFlix solutions earlier. I sent the list to my father and he's trying them out.

Apparently the DNS trick (the video of the girl changing the DNS settings on her Wii) redirected him to some for-pay service like Unblock-Us. I'm not sure, but it might be illegally accessing that service.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to all of you who recommended NetFlix solutions earlier. I sent the list to my father and he's trying them out.

Apparently the DNS trick (the video of the girl changing the DNS settings on her Wii) redirected him to some for-pay service like Unblock-Us. I'm not sure, but it might be illegally accessing that service.
Got damn it just use mediahint extension on chrome! >={

L Thammy

I think it happens if you use a smart TV as well. But you guys gave me enough solutions, I'll work it out. I just thought I'd caution others who might try it.

Got damn it just use mediahint extension on chrome! >={

When the person primarily affected by a solution is an irrational, technology-averse senior citizen then the best solution isn't always the most appropriate.

Sajjaja

I think it happens if you use a smart TV as well. But you guys gave me enough solutions, I'll work it out. I just thought I'd caution others who might try it.
When the person primarily affected by a solution is an irrational, technology-averse senior citizen then the best solution isn't always the most appropriate.

I'm using it on my smart TV and it works fine for the most part. It takes longer to stream videos but it does the job.

I'm using it on my smart TV and it works fine for the most part. It takes longer to stream videos but it does the job.

I'm using it on my PS3 as well and I get HD1080 most of the time. But when I tried this on my laptop before I know about Mediahint I was directed to some service asking me to log in.
I think it can work on consoles and streaming devices.

Gadirok

any good deals for gow Ascension?

best deal i can find is pre order from bb and get 800 reward zone points

hoping WM will give away gow saga free with purchase of gow Ascension (let me dream lol)

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=6d6584b11966c23728885cc65597b500en02

$13 but worth it

was $5 when I got it during boxing week

More likely to give away god of war 1&2 dual pack considering the massive influx of them in their bargain bins.

Is the collector's edition of Ascension confined to EB games?

zroid

Banned
why can't I pre-order Animal Crossing yet
icon_shakes_fist.gif
(except at EB)

So I need to get a new laptop (old one died) - looking for a Windows OS (preferably 7), priced $500 - $1000, something light with great battery, and can output 1080p. I think that's literally all I need. Doesn't need to play games - just run video files, word documents, and browse competently.

Any suggestions?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So I need to get a new laptop (old one died) - looking for a Windows OS (preferably 7), priced $500 - $1000, something light with great battery, and can output 1080p. I think that's literally all I need. Doesn't need to play games - just run video files, word documents, and browse competently.

Any suggestions?

I highly recommend an ASUS from www.newegg.ca

big_z

Are the MK 7 bundles on sale at Walmart too? On the website it says they 132 $199, no chance of them being on sale too?

nope. Costco has had the 3DSxl MK7 bundle on sale for $150 a few times. I'm hoping they put it on sale again soon, im jonesing for a 3ds...

years ago they would send email/call/ or throttle internet as well as leave a warning on the bill if you were a month on month repeat offender. i got a bunch of warnings myself but didnt give a shit and they never did anything.

the reason they did this was because their network was outdated and with torrents at the time being the new shit for everyone nodes were burning out. shaw has since slowly upgraded their network as well as pushed everything to digital to reduce network strain. they also plan to switch to h264 digital this year to reduce future load further and it's why they can offer 250Mbps+ and soon 1Gbps in some areas.

When the canadian goverment let telecom companies go private with internet services they were expected to take care and upgrade the network as needed. Instead they let networks sit and overload while pocketing the money and posting record profits. This is why the whole bandwidth limit came into being. Telecoms blamed consumers for their incompetence and found an additional source of profit.

kinda off topic but im selling my 360 (dont really need 2, plus i use my brother's anyways) and i just wanted to know what stuff i needed to remove before selling it. Like how you need to deactivate a PS3/Vita console before selling it off. Is there something similar i need to do on the 360 account etc? Any help would be great thanks.

lfc11

Neo Member
Anyone pre-ordered Tomb Raider from Futureshop and received shipping notification yet? I normally preorder from EB and they deliver it on the release date. Haven't received shipping notification from FS yet. Do they usually deliver on the day of release?

Lothars

Anyone pre-ordered Tomb Raider from Futureshop and received shipping notification yet? I normally preorder from EB and they deliver it on the release date. Haven't received shipping notification from FS yet. Do they usually deliver on the day of release?
I ordered and it shipped on friday so I should be reciving it tomorrow I believe.

Gamejunky

I have the Collector's edition preordered from FS and haven't received shipping notification yet either.

Takuya

Banned

Pre-ordered during E3 last year and no notification yet.

Mine is on the way too!

krae_man

I haven't got my Tomb Raider shipping notice yet. I usually get them Sunday night. Sometimes Friday. I often get the games on the Monday before, but I've always got them on the Tuesday at the latest.

Well except for Zombi U which took a detour to Atlantic Canada for some reason.

Did anyone get their RZ points for Etrian Odyssey IV from BB yet?

Any suggestions?

For 1080p you might want to look at Ultrabooks or Lenovo laptops, maybe Dell. Haven't been keeping track of laptop prices but RFD should have a few threads on them (despite its reputation you can get some good info in them, mainly because you can't scalp laptops).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

krae_man

Does anyone have a 3D TV? I bought one this weekend and grabbed the Playstation 3D TV glasses since they are dirt cheap. However I can see reflections in my peripheral vision.

It's kind of an annoyance more then anything since they are outside of the area of my vision the TV occupies. I'm just wondering if it's just the type of glasses that is doing it, or if this is normal with all active 3d glasses.

Edit: My Account on FS says Tomb Raider shipped today via Canada Post ground.

jcutner

Does anyone have a 3D TV? I bought one this weekend and grabbed the Playstation 3D TV glasses since they are dirt cheap. However I can see reflections in my peripheral vision.

It's kind of an annoyance more then anything since they are outside of the area of my vision the TV occupies. I'm just wondering if it's just the type of glasses that is doing it, or if this is normal with all active 3d glasses.

Samsung 3D TV here with active shutter glasses - I get the reflections too

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

I have a LG Passive 3D and I don't get any reflections.
Check if these glasses are fully compatible with your TV

firehawk12

Subete no aware
how many hours of gaming would it take to get to that point?
It's all tutorial stuff for the most part, so you can speed through it if you're worried about running out of time before the dlc goes paid.

That said, you aren't missing all that much if you don't get it.

krae_man

I have a LG Passive 3D and I don't get any reflections.
Check if these glasses are fully compatible with your TV

It's a Sony TV with Sony Glasses so they are absolutely compatible. The glasses work fine, I just see a reflection of the wall behind me in the corner of the glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom