• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
I am getting tired of people having a different version of "Until". Most places include the date that is written next to until...

I was waiting for the last day of "Valid until March 31, 2013." to use the 30 days PS+ that came with the new God of War (Futureshop). When I entered the code it said the code expired or is just invalid. Super...! Oh well, for all I know the code never worked...

Oh boy. Good thing I used my code yesterday. That's a bummer. :(

Quick

Banned
I am getting tired of people having a different version of "Until". Most places include the date that is written next to until...

I was waiting for the last day of "Valid until March 31, 2013." to use the 30 days PS+ that came with the new God of War (Futureshop). When I entered the code it said the code expired or is just invalid. Super...! Oh well, for all I know the code never worked...

You could send an e-mail to Sony customer support about it. Doesn't hurt to try.

Lurkee

Neo Member

Same here. -_-

They should've said it expires March 30, if the code's not going to work March 31.

iLLmAtlc

Weird, my voucher says valid through. It came with an older game than GOW too so I see no reason why they would switch back to more ambiguous terminology.

Guesong

So I'll be moving into a new place this summer near Montreal and I figured I might as well do a complete overhaul of what services I need or not need.

Screw the canadian oligarchy of Bell, Rogers, Videotron and such ; I'm currently looking into various cable internet options from Electrobox, TekSavvy or Distributel. Anyone has a particular recommendation in that regard?

TS offers unlimited internet usage 30Mbps for around 70 per month ; Electrobox offers 60Mbps 250 gbs usage for 60. Is there some shady computing behind the numbers?

Also, TV ; I really only need a handful of channels (like RDS, CBC/RDC and TVA, mainly) but as far as I know I'd have to go through Bell/Quebecor to get RDS right? There's no workaround with a streaming box like AppleTV or Roku to get that? I was looking for a indoor digital antenna for the basic channels, but RDS really bugs me.

Screw the canadian oligarchy of Bell, Rogers, Videotron and such ; I'm currently looking into various cable internet options from Electrobox, TekSavvy or Distributel. Anyone has a particular recommendation in that regard?

Have heard just general approval of Teksavvy and Electronic Box. AFAIK they are superior offerings but that rules you out of getting any sort of cable TV. Personally I wouldn't bother with any sort of DSL offering but that's just me.

I don't see anything about RDS OTA so you probably have to go with one of the big guys for that.

Sora_N

Sucks, I didn't want to take chances so I just used all of my codes to stack onto my 3 month codes 2 months ago.

Llyranor

I switched from Bell to TekSavvy and it's been smooth sailing since then. No regrets.

Logged onto PSN today and found that mail I'd been waiting for for a long time: the 10 dollar PSN points thing.

I tried to redeem it and it didn't work. :( Why hadn't it come sooner when I was still waiting and checking the PS3 for it? :(

So I'll be moving into a new place this summer near Montreal and I figured I might as well do a complete overhaul of what services I need or not need.

TS offers unlimited internet usage 30Mbps for around 70 per month ; Electrobox offers 60Mbps 250 gbs usage for 60. Is there some shady computing behind the numbers?

Also, TV ; I really only need a handful of channels (like RDS, CBC/RDC and TVA, mainly) but as far as I know I'd have to go through Bell/Quebecor to get RDS right? There's no workaround with a streaming box like AppleTV or Roku to get that? I was looking for a indoor digital antenna for the basic channels, but RDS really bugs me.

i have teksavvy 28 Mbps cable, with unlimited bandwidth for an extra 10 bucks. Its fantastic, no need for TV

krae_man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

L Thammy

Tried a Gamestop outside of Toronto this time.

Sin and Punishment 2 $4.99
Baroque $0.99
Glory of Heracles $2.69
Steel Diver $2.69

Also ended up getting Metroid Prime 3 for $8.99.
I already have a copy of Sin and Punishment 2, so my haul was pretty lame. Pretty jealous of the guy who found the KOF collection.

By the way, I was talked into getting an Edge card. Is it even worth it?

Sajjaja

Anyone manage to find a new copy of No More Heroes 2? I've been looking for that for a while. Or even a used copy that's not damaged to hell.

Returners

Hey guys, any recommendations on a turbo controller for my PS3? And where would I be able to get one? My local EB's not so helpful.

Madouu

I'm with Acanac in Montreal (which belongs to Distributel) and it's nice. They have the lowest first year price in the market if you're willing to pay one year upfront and some good speeds. I know you said cable, but 25/10 vdsl plan is $39.95 for the first year (http://acanac.com/DSL.html). Unlimited, and you get some nice goodies with it such a free home phone voip line, a VPN account and 100GB storage. Drawbacks are a limited rate of 12/10 from 7pm to 12am which doesn't always kick in. To the $39.95 you'll have to add dry loop if you don't have a classic home phone line. Still, extremely competitive and the service has been good for the 4 years I've been with them now, especially on their forums where Paul the owner posts quite a bit.

Cable prices for Acanac in QC are $39.95/month for the 10/1.5 plan and $59.95 for the 30/3 plan (http://www.acanac.com/cable.html). Unlimited, same goodies and same things apply for the peak hour limit (down speed halved sometimes). Cable is much more interesting if you're in ON though...

For the $39.95 price, you'll have to pay one year upfront and you have a 30 days money back guarantee in case you're not satisfied. Else on a month per month basis, it is $53.95 for vdsl2 and $45.95/$65.95 respectively for the two cable offers.

You can get RDS through Zazeen IPTV, it's basically a parent company of Acanac, run by the same people. Basic package is 39.95$/month. Here's the link : http://www.zazeen.com/quebec.html. Their service has just launched recently and I haven't subscribed since I'm not really interested in TV except for sports (and the sports I follow don't have any good coverage here) so I don't have a lot of information about it. Still, you can look around their forums a bit for details but their offer seems pretty competitive. Once again, Ontario package is much more interesting but well, what can one do.

Hope I haven't missed anything and that this helps. Also, I'm sure you can have decent deals from Bell & co and quite a few people here actually do, but I'd rather they get as less money as possible from our pockets. So yeah, I'm glad you're looking for alternatives.

Sora_N

Got my Kirby and Wario from Best Buy! No time to play them right now, but I'm gonna wait for my credit on my account first anyways.

Cactus

Banned
I hadn't realized how little self-control I have until I saw a Pikachu 3DS at Game Centre today.

On a related note, If anyone in downtown Toronto wants to buy a blue XL (mint condition, with box) for $120, shoot me a PM.

iphys

It will be a regular bonus redemption at SDM this Sat/Sun: $100 for 50,000 points or $200 for 95,000 points. I think the only thing of note is the XL is on sale for $170, and it looks like the regular 3DS for $140.

I wrote to Sony about the PS+ 30 days voucher that was not working, yesterday after I sent my query, I received an automated message stating that they received my query and that they will answer it within 24 to 48 hours. This morning I received a new e-mail saying this:

"Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you."

Then all it does is state my query and their automated response saying that they received it and will answer in the next 24-48 hours.

I am really confused, did they close my query without ever answering? Hence the "you may reopen it" part or they just send daily updates? There is no answer anywhere about what I asked!

In case anyone is interested, EB Games is going a trade promo for Wii U:

Trade 5 games and get $100 credit
Trade 10 games and get $200 credit
Trade 15 games and get $300 credit

That seems like pretty damn good markup for games that are $8 or more and you want a Wii U! Sorry if this is old news, I just don't recall seeing this on their website until today.

In case anyone is interested, EB Games is going a trade promo for Wii U:

Trade 5 games and get $100 credit
Trade 10 games and get $200 credit
Trade 15 games and get $300 credit

That seems like pretty damn good markup for games that are $8 or more and you want a Wii U! Sorry if this is old news, I just don't recall seeing this on their website until today.

Is there any restrictions on the platforms of the games?

krae_man

Is there any restrictions on the platforms of the games?

If it's anything like their previous trade in promotions, the only requirement is that the games have a minimum $8 trade in value.

Edit: Fine print:

Offer valid on XB360, PS3, PSV, Wii, WiiU, DS and 3DS game trades. No duplicate titles accepted. Cannot be combined with other Trade offers. Activation Fees may apply. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Games must include boxes and instructions. Subject to manager approval. Minimum $8 trade value required. Offer subject to change at any time. Promotion could end at any time.

Sora_N

Went to another EB, didn't find anything except Let's Tap but I already picked one up. I did find FF3 for DS for 9.99 used, couldn't resist and grabbed it anyways.

zroid

Banned
Finally got WarioWare DIY, which had to ship cross-country, so that concludes my EB haul.

Four games for $7.46 total. Pretty satisfied!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Not really a deal but I love end of gen times. Picked up Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles for $13 from EB and Kijiji respectively. Now I have every game besides Code Veronica and REmake.

Gonna pick up House of the Dead 2 & 3 from Kijiji as well for $7 and hopefully I can find HOTD Overkill for cheap too.

Now I need a couple Nyko Perfect Shots.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
This is a longshot, but a year ago I bought one at Wal-mart for something like $5

Interesting. I'll try both my Walmarts tomorrow. I know I won't find a black one but whatever. Going to try my EBs too.

Always wanted to play some light gun games but really don't want to spend anymore money on any Move related peripherals.

isny

napkin dispenser
Anyone with a $20 Staples coupon in their email or mailbox they aren't going to use that are willing to PM it to me? Could really use one, and mine just expired =(

L Thammy

Not sure if I could call this a "deal", but there's a copy of Super Robot Taisen Original Generation at the EB Games around Yonge and Dundas.
Taunting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom