• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

I wanted tracking because Canada Post has lost a few things sent to me. I guess I just have to try to trust them with regular lettermail.

It's just so crazy to me. I have family overseas that ships boxes to me regularly and it costs no more than (after exchange rate) $10. To send a box across the ocean. But to send an envelope a few hours away costs more? I just... I really can't even begin to comprehend this.

I know retailers that send a lot of stuff out get special rates. But I assume there would be this huge gap for them too to use envelopes instead of boxes.

I don't know that it's any cheaper for you, but in one of the weird Canada Post conundrums, sending something via XPresspost is frequently no more expensive than sending it via "regular" mail, and that service includes traffic.

zroid

Banned
I'm a huge fan of housemarque and the stardust games. I mean I bought both Stardust Delta recently simply because I enjoyed the portable version so much on the PSP. Now I realize that the PSP version was the worst, and I missed out on the better version on the PS3.

If you don't have Stardust HD, it's worth it. One of the best games on PS3, imho.

Then again, if you have Stardust Delta on Vita, it might not be a big deal. Both of them are great, and I'm not sure if you need to play both.

RS4-

Traded in 2 for $60 at FS. Considering Bioshock. What's the consensus there? I'll probably wait for a price drop either way.

I wasn't a fan of any of the Bioshock games; it just got so stale within minutes for me. The FPS sections are just...yeah.

iphys

It sounds like it's open to abuse if you pre-order early enough, but I wouldn't recommend doing it because it's not very ethical.

zroid

Banned
and the minimum $5 increment deposit

lol, I remember having this conversation with you.

You are wrong, btw. There is no minimum transaction charge on either 3DS or Wii U eShops. I literally just incurred a 32 cent charge while purchasing Kirby's Adventure this morning.

That, coupled with the HST on digital purchases for my 3DS (its valid but nobody else is charging me that much)

The strange thing about PSN and taxes in Canada, and coincidentally this brings us back to the topic of the hack, because they stopped taxing PSN purchases when the service resumed after it went down for that month. I don't really know what changed, but yeah... prior to April 2011, I paid the full 13% on all my PSN purchases. I kind of cheat with the eShops by changing my province to Alberta so I only get taxed 5%.

Chances are Sony has found some legal loophole. Or maybe they haven't and they are actually breaking tax laws. Not too sure!

So I just got an email from Sony Canada about the class action settlement for the hack.

This was the relevant bit:

I guess I'll take my free game

XIPicFY.png

actually, lol... I don't know if any of these are worth the postage :p

So wait, if I got the Welcome Back deal, will I just be able to go to the PSN store and purchase 3 months of PS+ and not fill out any BS forms?

zroid

Banned
So wait, if I got the Welcome Back deal, will I just be able to go to the PSN store and purchase 3 months of PS+ and not fill out any BS forms?

Nope... you still have to do the paperwork. :\

I believe there's a checkbox lower in the document somewhere for choosing the PS+ discount.

edit:
o1iL5sI.png

So if I look at this:
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/lettersdocuments.jsf#Letter

It looks like oversized lettermail is $2.20

I have some permanent stamps. Those would be worth $0.63 right now right? So if I wanted to mail oversized lettermail, it would require 4 stamps?

And can I just drop this in one of those red mailing boxes?

Ideally I think it's best to go to a Shoppers or something and get them to charge you exactly for whatever you owe, but four stamps should work. That also ensures you won't get any nasty surprises if they for some reason deem your parcel "too oversized".

I think you're only given the 800 points once the pre-ordered game is actually purchased.

Yeah, I'm talking about after your credit card getting purchased returning the game after it was delivered from the mail

Also, it's given to you 30 days after, so you're past the return period of the game.

I've noticed from the last couple of my pre orders I was credited with the points right away.

Ondore

Flyer stuff:

FutureShop
Dead Island Riptide $49.99
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen $39.99 (Trade 1 Get Free)
Star Trek $59.99
(Trade 2 for $60 Gift Card - List here)
3DS (original) $169.99 - comes with Crosswords Plus and Star Fox 64
Preorder DKCR3D for $34.99, get $10 off a June release
Lego City: The Chase Begins $29.99
250GB 360 with Dead Island GOTY, Darksiders 2 and Arkham City download $299.99
Halo 4 $39.99
320 GB Hard Drive w/Lego Star Wars 3 $119.99
12mo Xbox Live $44.99
Crystal White 500GB PS3 including MGS4 and Dead Island GOTY $279.99

Best Buy
Dead Island Riptide $49.99
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen $39.99
Star Trek $59.99
Trade 2 get $60 gift card (list)
Lego City: The Chase Begins $29.99
Preorder DKCR3D get 800 RZ Points
3DS w/Crosswords Plus, Star Fox 64 3D $169.99
Crystal White 500GB PSE including RE6/Playstation All Stars $279.99
Bioshock Infinite $59.99
Injustice $59.99
250GB 360 with Medal of Honor, Darksiders 2 and Batman Arkham City download $299.99
Gears of War Judgment $59.99
Halo 4 $39.99
Xbox Controller $49.99
Microsoft wired headset $19.99

NeoZylom

Chances are Sony has found some legal loophole. Or maybe they haven't and they are actually breaking tax laws. Not too sure!

I hope it never changes. This is the reason why I buy my games off PSN instead of buying them in store ... Taxes in Quebec are nasty (14,975 %) lol.

Gadirok

lol, I remember having this conversation with you.

You are wrong, btw. There is no minimum transaction charge on either 3DS or Wii U eShops. I literally just incurred a 32 cent charge while purchasing Kirby's Adventure this morning.

The thing is, when I purchased Dream Radar on my 3DS in November and decided to pay through visa, the minimum was $5. I tried to change it, but it didn't let me. Had no other option. It didn't let me pay for the full 3.xx something as a visa charge. It was either that or getting one of the gift cards.

They may have removed that since then, because I haven't bought anything since then from the e-shop.

Anyways I found the tax charge for digital purchases more insane. I wasn't aware PSN ever had the tax charges since I've never encountered them but it seems like a real iffy situation. I see some reports from 2010 saying they didn't get charged tax, then some cases like these:
http://community.us.playstation.com...ds-a-giant-ripoff-in-Canada-now/td-p/14241230

I honestly have never been charged for either the $20 gift cards I've bought or on digital downloads directly through visa. Seems to work out for me, or else I probably would have had to pay more than $30 in taxes by now.

The increment BS doesn't bother me that much considering I've only ran into the problem once with PSN and am more likely to spend that cash in a future sale anyways considering last year's Pixelj...

Hold on. I actually recall one time where I paid exactly $4 for a visa charge. Going to go verify that now, it was back in 2012.

EDIT: Nope nvm, I still had $2 leftover from that pixeljunk sale and had to deposit $5 before I made that purchase. Was worth it anyways since I got Shooter, eden, Monsters, and Racer for $3.

Gadirok

I hope it never changes. This is the reason why I buy my games off PSN instead of buying them in store ... Taxes in Quebec are nasty (14,975 %) lol.

Seriously?

I thought 13% was ridiculous. Thats unreasonably high. You guys do get lower tuition costs compared to Ontario so... I guess its a fair trade off if you spend sparingly like me.

I probably will keep this mind though. If tax is supposed to be charged on PSN, then I should make better use of it for some digital download games more often.

It makes day-one digital games more lucrative if anything. I usually avoid paying such ridiculously high prices for games on day-1 anyways.

zroid

Banned
The thing is, when I purchased Dream Radar on my 3DS in November and decided to pay through visa, the minimum was $5. I tried to change it, but it didn't let me. Had no other option. It didn't let me pay for the full 3.xx something as a visa charge. It was either that or getting one of the gift cards.

They may have removed that since then, because I haven't bought anything since then from the e-shop.

Trust me. The option to pay exact funds was available when you bought Dream Radar. You must have missed something. I paid for Dream Radar with exact funds.

Anyways I found the tax charge for digital purchases more insane. I wasn't aware PSN ever had the tax charges since I've never encountered them but it seems like a real iffy situation. I see some reports from 2010 saying they didn't get charged tax, then some cases like these:
http://community.us.playstation.com...ds-a-giant-ripoff-in-Canada-now/td-p/14241230

It's illegal to get charged tax on digital money cards and gift cards. If you're taxed for those, don't buy them from that retailer, and you should probably let them know they're doing it wrong.

Gadirok

Trust me. The option to pay exact funds was available when you bought Dream Radar. You must have missed something. I paid for Dream Radar with exact funds.

Can't really trust you on that since I already paid for it and got $5 charge on my visa. I honestly don't really care, but I specifically remember being given 2 options when searching for dream radar through the eshop and getting to the purchase screen and being prompted for $5 minimum on the visa. I wouldn't have put on $5 otherwise considering I wouldn't be able to buy anything else with the 1.XX left on the account. Its stil lieing there in the balance.

It's illegal to get charged tax on digital money cards and gift cards. If you're taxed for those, don't buy them from that retailer, and you should probably let them know they're doing it wrong.

Always wondered this myself. Funny thing is I actually got tax back on a purchase I didn't pay tax for when I was returning something alongside a giftcard and had a coupon applied to the combination at staples. It was only a dollar but it still seems like a inefficient system, but it worked out for me so oh well.

The guy should have complained on the spot about it or gone back for a refund on the tax, considering the post is from 2010, not sure if he did.

It does prove that PSN did charge tax before. I wonder why they did stop. Strange, but happy that they didn't bring it back.

Gadirok

this made my day :) ...

Given that trade list and the qualifiers, definitely not mine.

I doubt Futureshop/Bestbuy trade in lists will ever be that ridiculous again.

Traded in a bunch of games in November to get my self the Playstation Elite headset at futureshop.

all of them were MW3 and BF3 that I picked up for $20 around the GTA
Futureshop also gave me a copy of Black ops 2 that I sold immediately after

Good old trade days.

It convinced me to pick up a PSvita when I grabbed LBP vita at launch for trading in TWPGA13 that I got for $20. Only downside is the preorder dlc that you miss out on these days since EB/Gamestop manages to strangehold all these cosmetics.

krae_man

My theory was they fucked up when they fixed PSN and can't fix it without taking PSN down for a significant amount of time and just decided to bite the bullet instead of taking it down again. But then they uploaded the new shitty store and they still don't charge tax. I have no idea what's up.

filipe

Any deals on Vitas for around $200? I'm about finished the term at university and fancy a new gaming handheld.

My brother bought the Vita Madden bundle for around 170ish (give or take a bit for tax) this past weekend. It's on clearance at Best Buy, but it's a little hard finding them. They also don't have it on their webstore.

I'll try to get a picture of the receipt for proof when I get home from work.

Gadirok

My theory was they fucked up when they fixed PSN and can't fix it without taking PSN down for a significant amount of time and just decided to bite the bullet instead of taking it down again. But then they uploaded the new shitty store and they still don't charge tax. I have no idea what's up.

I have a feeling it will be ready by PS4 and its going to be there.

They better be building the store back up from the ground up. Because its highly inefficient and a PoS right now. Same with the updates for tuesdays.

It seems they might just want to skip over PS3 and plan to sell it at a console alongside PS4 for awhile. I don't imagine support for PSN store dropping until really late in the PS4's lifecycle.

Gadirok

My brother bought the Vita Madden bundle for around 170ish (give or take a bit for tax) this past weekend. It's on clearance at Best Buy, but it's a little hard finding them. They also don't have it on their webstore.

I'll try to get a picture of the receipt for proof when I get home from work.

That was the one I was going to mention. They were sold out within hours I think on the web store.

He might be better off picking up a used vita like I did considering they sell for so cheap. I picked up mines used for $150. It was a good trade off, but arguably getting the madden bundle would have been better.

Then again I didn't have to deal with applying screen protector BS and saved $20 so I think its worth it if you can find a lightly used vita.

suikodan

I have a question regarding BestBuy and FutureShop.

What exactly can I use online to buy stuff on these websites?
ex:
Use RZ certificates on FS website
Use FS gift card on BlackBerry website
etc...

Thanks

zroid

Banned

And the same's true for Vita purchases too. It's just really strange.

Not complaining, I guess, heh

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think Pandora's Tower has chances of becoming rare soon? I want to play it eventually, but I'll be out of the country for a month or so, so I thought I might as well wait before I buy more games as they'll probably drop in price before I get a chance to play. But then, I'm afraid this might be another Xenoblade situation where the game will be impossible to find after a few weeks, and eBay prices skyrocket.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Do you think Pandora's Tower has chances of becoming rare soon? I want to play it eventually, but I'll be out of the country for a month or so, so I thought I might as well wait before I buy more games as they'll probably drop in price before I get a chance to play. But then, I'm afraid this might be another Xenoblade situation where the game will be impossible to find after a few weeks, and eBay prices skyrocket.

If you judge it by Xenoblade and The Last Story, it may become tough to find and actually rise in price. TLS much less extreme than Xenoblade though; TLS has been sitting at Game Centre in Toronto for $30 for quite a while now.

zroid

Banned
We're getting the Animal Crossing 3DSXL!

So tempted. It's just a question of whether I'm willing to go through the hassle of trying to sell off my blue XL.

Oh, and on the topic of Pandora's Tower, Best Buy finally charged my card, so looks like it's shipping today. One week late's not so bad compared to the 2-3 week disaster that was The Last Story. :p

Ondore

Last Story got a second printing, I don't think Pandora will be that lucky. Should still be able to buy it from XSEED's website if nothing else, though.

Seik

Banned

Yep, we're overtaxed as fuck. Plus we can see corrupted fucks laughing at us on TV each days. Sad shit is sad. :p

I'm still going with the physical format though, sometimes flea markets can be quite useful to avoid these taxes, but most of the times, especially when a game just came out, gotta deal with that 15%.

nordique

Oh, and on the topic of Pandora's Tower, Best Buy finally charged my card, so looks like it's shipping today. One week late's not so bad compared to the 2-3 week disaster that was The Last Story. :p

it took amazon a while to ship pandora for me as well, might have been an issue with several online retailers

still, nice to be getting a new wii game in 2013 lol

frequency

Anything so long as you have sifficient postage/proper labeling.

Thank you. I have a hard time finding information and understanding it on the Canada Post site. Maybe it is my fault but everything seems to be written so vaguely and like they want it to be hard to understand. Like all government things.

krae_man

If you wanted next day purolator you couldn't just throw 100 stamps on there and expect the post man to know what you want. But if you want just regular parcel mail, put enough stamps on and you're good to go. The mailboxes have that huge opening for parcels. Otherwise they would just have that little slit at the top and nothing more.

Takuya

Banned
If you wanted next day purolator you couldn't just throw 100 stamps on there and expect the post man to know what you want. But yeah pretty much if you want just regular parcel mail, put enough stamps on and you're good to go. The mailboxes have that huge opening for parcels. Otherwise they would just have that little slit at the top and nothing more.

Well yea, but for international parcels you'll also need the customs declaration forms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom