• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Any phone with a sim card had this restriction. Not only that, if you buy an unlocked phone (factory unlocked) it will lock itself to the carrier you first stick it on.

As it stands right now you can go to any provider other than Bell and only have to pay a 50-75 unlock fee in order to be able to use the phone on other networks. So if you're going abroad you can take your phone with you for example.

Keep in mind this is for iphones only. Any other phone can be unlocked whenever you feel like paying someone in Chinatown 25 bucks to do it.

I've been able to swap carriers before with a factory unlocked iPhone - is this something they've changed with the 5?

Picked up the wife a factory unlocked iPhone 5 back in January with credits, would be annoying if it can't just be swapped to another carrier. We bought it intentionally to have leverage on lowering rates once her contract is up.

lupinko

Any phone with a sim card had this restriction. Not only that, if you buy an unlocked phone (factory unlocked) it will lock itself to the carrier you first stick it on.

As it stands right now you can go to any provider other than Bell and only have to pay a 50-75 unlock fee in order to be able to use the phone on other networks. So if you're going abroad you can take your phone with you for example.

Keep in mind this is for iphones only. Any other phone can be unlocked whenever you feel like paying someone in Chinatown 25 bucks to do it.

?

I bought my iPhone 5 directly from Apple last September and before that I got the new sim from Rogers, they specifically told me (as did people at the Apple store) that my phone was unlocked and was not locked to Rogers in any way.

If you're just talking about Bell then this doesn't apply to me.

Is the unlocking payment only one time? Once it's unlocked it will stay unlocked no matter how many times I switch couriers.

I pretty much need this for overseas traveling.

btkadams

so, futureshop already emailed me back and said they do not have anything in their system regarding soul sacrifice dlc.. so fucking stupid.

i did find one canadian site that mentions the dlc, ebgames. it's $10 more expensive to order from them vs my futureshop deal though...

i thought maybe i should just go digital, but i also can't see it on psn to preorder.

Gadirok

so, futureshop already emailed me back and said they do not have anything in their system regarding soul sacrifice dlc.. so fucking stupid.

i did find one canadian site that mentions the dlc, ebgames. it's $10 more expensive to order from them vs my futureshop deal though...

i thought maybe i should just go digital, but i also can't see it on psn to preorder.

Same thing for me. I wanted to go digital considering you would save almost $10, but no dlc is a pretty big dealbreaker for me, i may just order at eb games, but i havent had the time to play the demo so who knows how the game actually is.

I already plan to get last of us and mgs in june so I can probably killmy backlog instead.

iLLmAtlc

Is the unlocking payment only one time? Once it's unlocked it will stay unlocked no matter how many times I switch couriers.

I pretty much need this for overseas traveling.

Yeah, it should be a one time 50 dollar fee for a permanent unlock.

I'm not familiar with the process involved though and it may involve a restore.

namDa65

If anyone is interested Tales of Xillia pre-order is 10$ off at amazon.ca

EDIT: Sorry, someone mentioned already. Grabbed my pre-order :)

zroid

Banned
Do you think bestbuy.ca would price match the Xillia pre-order to Amazon? It qualifies for the 800RZ, so I could get the best of both worlds... maybe.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon's Crown PS3 is also $10 off on Amazon. This is tempting...

Lexxism

Do you think bestbuy.ca would price match the Xillia pre-order to Amazon? It qualifies for the 800RZ, so I could get the best of both worlds... maybe.

Don't they do price match after you got the order? Just pray that it's still 49.99 on its release date

Not exactly a game thing, but I've seen people ask about it in this thread before.

Looking for a decent deal on a wireless plan for Manitoba. Any Manitoba-GAFfers iwlling to share what deals they're on, so I can start making some plans?

zroid

Banned
Don't they do price match after you got the order? Just pray that it's still 49.99 on its release date

Not necessarily, I think. When I called recently to PM WarioWare DIY, I was told if I had called a little bit earlier (before it got processed) they could have adjusted the price directly in my order instead of refunding post-shipment. But it may be different for pre-orders. I guess I could always try and then cancel the order if they won't do it. Kind of a hassle, though.

Is ebgames the only seller for the collector edition of Tales of Xillia? And the "not available" on the website mean that it is already sold out or that it has not been on sale yet? Thanks!

frequency

Is ebgames the only seller for the collector edition of Tales of Xillia? And the "not available" on the website mean that it is already sold out or that it has not been on sale yet? Thanks!

So far it has just been EBGames, but I would keep checking Amazon too. Amazon.com got it listed later than GameStop.com.

As for what "Not Available" means, it was put up last week and sold out quickly. But it has been momentarily available for order again from time to time. So I would keep checking.

zroid

Banned
That CE looked really good and not an entirely bad value, but with the way this year's looking for me in terms of game volume, I need to hold onto that money. $49 w/ 800RZ for just the game is too good to pass up, anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How do you get them to PM a pre-order? Every time I've tried, they pull the "it needs to be released before we can price match" line on me.

I've been able to swap carriers before with a factory unlocked iPhone - is this something they've changed with the 5?

Picked up the wife a factory unlocked iPhone 5 back in January with credits, would be annoying if it can't just be swapped to another carrier. We bought it intentionally to have leverage on lowering rates once her contract is up.

I actually think the locking to the provider thing is not common with new phones, but i've seen it happen a few times with a lot older and more obscure models. Maybe it was some other shit, I don't know, I don't work in tech. Most likely I am completely incorrect.

Here is a question though: I have a decent dosh account but feel like a cunt every time i spend a penny. Is something wrong with me? I'm not irresponsible with my money and i really don't spend money on anything other than food, gas, rent and occasional dinners out with the wifey boo. but right now I'm sweating harder than a hooker in a church confessional over the thought of spending 40 bucks on an exercise ball and a medicine ball, two things i'm buying to make myself happier and healthier. Having money to spend is making me miserable because I always feel like i should be saving it...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
haha I meant that first quote is what you should be saying to them, the second quote is what they will respond to you and the sigh will be you sighing at how incompetent employees are.

Do you mean online or in-store? 'Cause I just got it done online with zero hassle.

I've tried it several times at both FS and BB and it never works. I never thought to tell them that they're wrong though. lol

I don't suppose it's stated anywhere that they will guarantee competitor pre-order prices though? At least you could tell them the rules that they should know themselves.

krae_man

Preorder The Last of Us at Bestbuy, get $50 off Elite headphones.

gBiFo0W.jpg

Also the email is pimping Watch Dogs hard. But you can't preorder it for next gen systems yet. I wonder if my Preorder from last year can be switched to the PS4 version? Probably not.

Edit: Futureshop and Bestbuy's preorder pages are starting to resemble last years E3 pages. Hopefully they have some awesome preorder deals again. The Wii stuff is great "Mario 3D" "Zelda" "Wii U X" "Mario Kart U"

Preorder The Last of Us at Bestbuy, get $50 off Elite headphones.

gBiFo0W.jpg

Also the email is pimping Watch Dogs hard. But you can't preorder it for next gen systems yet. I wonder if my Preorder from last year can be switched to the PS4 version? Probably not.

Edit: Futureshop and Bestbuy's preorder pages are starting to resemble last years E3 pages. Hopefully they have some awesome preorder deals again. The Wii stuff is great "Mario 3D" "Zelda" "Wii U X" "Mario Kart U"

If I can use these headphones for PS4/PC/PSVita, SOLD!

Trogdor1123

If I can use these headphones for PS4/PC/PSVita, SOLD!

I already order Last of Us with the 20 dollar off from Ascension. Wonder if I can stack it?

As for the headphones i would totally get them if it works with PS4... I have the original headphones and they are great but these new ones are suposed to be better are they not?

NM, that was for BB.

So far it has just been EBGames, but I would keep checking Amazon too. Amazon.com got it listed later than GameStop.com.

As for what "Not Available" means, it was put up last week and sold out quickly. But it has been momentarily available for order again from time to time. So I would keep checking.

Thanks! I guess I'll keep watching it and Amazon.ca. Until then I've pricematched a Bestbuy order from Amazon.

I have an ebgames.ca order too... but I'm beginning to wonder if that ten bucks will be worth the Tales of Destiny costumes Xillia's ebgames preorder might have....

EDIT: by the way, how long does it take for online preorder changes in price to reflect on my order status? I just got off the phone with a rep that did the pricematch but it hasn't reflected on my order status yet :c

khaaan

Thanks! I guess I'll keep watching it and Amazon.ca. Until then I've pricematched a Bestbuy order from Amazon.

I have an ebgames.ca order too... but I'm beginning to wonder if that ten bucks will be worth the Tales of Destiny costumes Xillia's ebgames preorder might have....

EDIT: by the way, how long does it take for online preorder changes in price to reflect on my order status? I just got off the phone with a rep that did the pricematch but it hasn't reflected on my order status yet :c

How do you perform a price match? Place an order and then call up Best Buy to get them to do it? Does Best Buy charge upon shipping or during order placement?

Lexxism

If there's someone looking for Art Academy Lessons for Everyone, the amazon.ca has it for 20.99. Apparently, it keeps on lowering its price since last week. It was around $28 last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom