• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Harusame

My EB Games pre-order page says the Shulk amiibo is out on the 30th. :eek:

Thanks for the info. I was unable to pre-order shulk, so I will definitely be at my ebgames upon opening this friday.

In other EBgames related stuff, I did just visit the ebgames closest to me and I saw a limited edition version of Guilty Gear Xrd. On a whim, I bought it right away and even though the contents weren't in the collectors box while displayed, all the packaging was in real good shape and the game case (when they retrieved it) was still was still wrapped in plastic.

Sealtest

My local EBGames has no idea when Shulk is coming, Called them earlier to ask about my preorder and besides the date on the website they know nothing.

Kieli

Get me an extra one when you pick yours up. If you do then I'll stop all jokes about you never leaving your home.

I thought stores like this will just send things back to the distribution/warehouses. Why would they sell things at a loss when they can just move them back to the stores below the border?

Then have the crappy items on "sale" (i.e., raised and lowered) to reel in deal-chasers.

Kind of hilarious that people were asking when things would go on sale/liquidation before the Target employees even knew they were fired.

SickBoy

Think consoles will go on sale too when Target starts going clearance crazy?

The way these sales usually work is that everything will go on sale when the clearance starts. Probably 30% off on a wide range of general merchandise and then less in certain departments. Im guessing 10% - at best - on the stuff people actually like in the electronics section....

The discounts will creep up in increments. Probably weekly or maybe biweekly.

uncharted-3-donut-nate.jpg

I got 20 the other night, along with a large fry and a coffee. Somehow, I was still a bit hungry afterwards.

I'm assuming the SE store will ship them for 3rd party sellers (amazon, bestbuy) at the same time as it will to customers, but I don't know firsthand.

I admit the whole situation is really annoying me, too. The fan in me wants all the goodies even though they're expensive, but also can't bear not to play a new FF day 1. -.-

Yeah, that's exactly the frustration I'm feeling too. But I'll try not to complain too much since there wasn't a very good option for Canadians to get the CE other than ordering straight from SE, which would have cost a decent bit more than amazon.ca.

I can't wait until they make an amibo of every single Pokemon and make them all limited edition....

I assume they'll do that cause Nintendo

SickBoy

Regarding all the Prime talk, I'm considering paying for a year to take advantage of Amazon Cloud Photos. I can back up most of the documents I'd ever want to any service.... but my photo library -- while not huge -- is big enough that I'm looking at probably $50 a year to back it up via iCloud.

If they ever added Instant Video, I'd be all over Prime in a heartbeat. But the fact that they just licensed a bunch of content to Rogers for Shomi suggests that's not going to happen any time soon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Check toys r us in case they inherit the stock. But not sure if that would happen.

I just preordered a Japanese Rosalina instead.
I totally didn't know about ordering foreign Rosalinas and there are no Toys R Us in my city (only an "Express", so I don't know if that's the same thing). At this rate, I might take up that dude here selling the 50 dollar Rosalina.

Fucking Nintendo. :/

I totally didn't know about ordering foreign Rosalinas and there are no Toys R Us in my city (only an "Express", so I don't know if that's the same thing). At this rate, I might take up that dude here selling the 50 dollar Rosalina.

Fucking Nintendo. :/

Oh shit, that was actually claimed last night. I forgot to edit the post, I'll do that now. Sorry man

FrsDvl

I know everyone is to busy worrying about Rosalina, but does anyone know when the wave with Ness goes up for pre-order? I'm always missing out on the ones I want. Not letting that happen again.

yo brehs I'm so ready for Feb 13th

so readyyyyyyy

I sure hope ebgames.ca ships my Majora's Mask LE on time. If it isn't here on the 13th I'll have to wait all the way till the following Tuesday (at best) because of Family Day.

The new XL and Monster Hunter are from amazon so I'm pretty damn confident I'll have those either way, though.

ohlawd

for real man

went to BB straight after work and held one of these beauts. instant smile on my face when I started the MH demo

FrsDvl

Does anyone know where I could find an N64 for a normal price? Second hand store here in the mall is selling them for 200$ +.. I was thinking more in the 50$ - 100$ range.

Does anyone know where I could find an N64 for a normal price? Second hand store here in the mall is selling them for 200$ +.. I was thinking more in the 50$ - 100$ range.

Garage sale? I got mine from a neighbour for $15 with a bunch of controllers and games..

Anth0ny

best bet is garage sales for less than $50

you can probably find one on ebay for $50-$100. I see them go pretty often in the $70 range.

Banned
Anybody want The Last of Us Remastered digital code for $25 (price negotiable) or Borderlands 2 Vita Digital code for $7.50?

TimeKillr

Maybe check your local flea markets?

I dunno where you can find flea markets with normal prices for old games, but that just doesn't happen here (Montreal).

If I go to a flea market, all I see are 20$ NES games with a huge *RARE* sticker on them and 30$ SNES games for pretty standard shitty stuff.

It's just absurd - the market for consoles and games pre-PS2 is inflating like crazy for some reason. Anything post PS2 is ridiculously cheap (I regularly see PS2 games for 5$, for example) but anything before is stupidly expensive.

Sigh.

I see them often for a very acceptable price on Kijiji. It might be a good option if you live in or near a city. As an example one popped in my city yesterday for 75$ with 3 controllers, Golden Eye and South Park and it's negotiable. Another is 50$ with 1 controller and Wave Race.

It's just absurd - the market for consoles and games pre-PS2 is inflating like crazy for some reason.

When a thing is no longer being made, there is no longer supply of a thing. Therefore, the longer a thing is no longer being made, it may be sold for more. PS3/360 things will someday not be made. Therefore, those things will someday go up in price.

EDIT: Also, mass production of things gets cheaper and cheaper so they made more of things as time goes forward.

The prices at A & C games in Toronto are getting higher and higher.

That new store is beautiful though. It was nice actually being able to browse the store.

TimeKillr

When a thing is no longer being made, there is no longer supply of a thing. Therefore, the longer a thing is no longer being made, it may be sold for more. PS3/360 things will someday not be made. Therefore, those things will someday go up in price.

EDIT: Also, mass production of things gets cheaper and cheaper so they made more of things as time goes forward.

I know that there's the mass production, and things no longer being made, but the problem is that a lot of those games are certainly not rare, and do not warrant the prices these people are attaching to them.

The main problem is that retro games are "in" right now, but only NES and up. There's no 20/30$ Colecovision carts, for example, despite a lot of them being much more rare than random copies of bad NES games.

flkraven

Can anyone confirm if COD:AW PS4 is 20$ at costco?

I was at Costco in the Niagara Region yesterday and didn't see it. To be fair though, I wasn't really looking for that particular deal. I was trying to scope the crazy Far Cry 4 $17.97 deal which was mentioned on RFD (no luck there either)

antibolo

Banned
I know that there's the mass production, and things no longer being made, but the problem is that a lot of those games are certainly not rare, and do not warrant the prices these people are attaching to them.

The main problem is that retro games are "in" right now, but only NES and up. There's no 20/30$ Colecovision carts, for example, despite a lot of them being much more rare than random copies of bad NES games.

Fellow Montrealer here. Personally I gave up on buying retro games in stores in stores and flea markets, they're all absurdly overpriced, from my experience there are only two types of sellers around here:
1) The clueless seller: Has no idea what he's doing and just sells everything at a crazy high base price for crap nobody wants, and then doubles that base price for games that are well known/beloved (regardless of whether it's rare or not, again he's an idiot who wouldn't know).
2) The scummy seller: Actually knows the current asking price for games on eBay, but sells everything at [eBay price + $10-15], meaning there's literally no point in going to his store because you already know you'll get everything cheaper on eBay (which is already not a great price to begin with).

So, yeah... just not worth bothering. It makes me sad because these assholes will probably keep these games forever (since nobody will buy them at those prices) until they throw them away because they need more space or are getting out of that business.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fellow Montrealer here. Personally I gave up on buying retro games in stores in stores and flea markets, they're all absurdly overpriced, from my experience there are only two types of sellers around here:
1) The clueless seller: Has no idea what he's doing and just sells everything at a crazy high base price for crap nobody wants, and then doubles that base price for games that are well known/beloved (regardless of whether it's rare or not, again he's an idiot who wouldn't know).
2) The scummy seller: Actually knows the current asking price for games on eBay, but sells everything at [eBay price + $10-15], meaning there's literally no point in going to his store because you already know you'll get everything cheaper on eBay (which is already not a great price to begin with).

So, yeah... just not worth bothering.

It's funny, but there's this dude on youtube called Pat the NES Punk who basically takes his camera around flea markets looking for game deals and pretty much every video is complaining about the sellers using eBay as a benchmark for pricing.

Kilvin

The prices at A & C games in Toronto are getting higher and higher.

That new store is beautiful though. It was nice actually being able to browse the store.

Oh wow they have a new location? How far from their other location is it and is it bigger?

My problem with the other store was it was so Damn tiny. Though their prices have been pretty ugh for awhile now.

antibolo

Banned
It's funny, but there's this dude on youtube called Pat the NES Punk who basically takes his camera around flea markets looking for game deals and pretty much every video is complaining about the sellers using eBay as a benchmark for pricing.

Oh yeah, I've seen his flea market videos. The only thing I've gotten out of them is jealousy for not living in California. There's no way you can find so many interesting retro game stuff around here.

Kilvin

The issue is you used to go to the flea market to find a deal. With the advent of the Internet that is now next to impossible unless you get extremely lucky.

I haven't been in over a year, but the local flea market here was just full of resellers.... Never used to be like that when I was a kid.

namDa65

I was at Costco in the Niagara Region yesterday and didn't see it. To be fair though, I wasn't really looking for that particular deal. I was trying to scope the crazy Far Cry 4 $17.97 deal which was mentioned on RFD (no luck there either)

I wandered the small 'game section' at Costco but didn't see COD: AW. I think AC Unity was on sale for $48.99 but that was all I saw. They didn't have many games to begin with though

Thanks you two!

TimeKillr

So, yeah... just not worth bothering. It makes me sad because these assholes will probably keep these games forever (since nobody will buy them at those prices) until they throw them away because they need more space or are getting out of that business.

Exactly - it's ridiculous. I live near one of the big ones on Metropolitain and when I went there with the GF once I checked out the few booths that were literally filled with retro games... The prices were ridiculous, I saw Dragon Warrior 1 carts for 50$. That's some seriously funny shit as there's no way that particular game is rare or worth that amount of money, as it's so damn common due to Nintendo giving it away with Nintendo Power subs that everyone and their dog has it. But hey, some dude goes 'DRAGON WARRIOR!!! WOW!!! 50$ PLZ"

Flea markets used to be places where you'd get, you know, average deals. Now it's literally people who just sell there instead of eBay but sell at eBay price + shipping, which is already stupid. I still don't know how eBay is still alive, I haven't seen an actual good price for anything on there in a LONG ass time. The only reason I know people use it is to buy phone covers from china for like a buck with free shipping.

Top Bottom