• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Vamphuntr

Exactly - it's ridiculous. I live near one of the big ones on Metropolitain and when I went there with the GF once I checked out the few booths that were literally filled with retro games... The prices were ridiculous, I saw Dragon Warrior 1 carts for 50$. That's some seriously funny shit as there's no way that particular game is rare or worth that amount of money, as it's so damn common due to Nintendo giving it away with Nintendo Power subs that everyone and their dog has it. But hey, some dude goes 'DRAGON WARRIOR!!! WOW!!! 50$ PLZ"

Flea markets used to be places where you'd get, you know, average deals. Now it's literally people who just sell there instead of eBay but sell at eBay price + shipping, which is already stupid. I still don't know how eBay is still alive, I haven't seen an actual good price for anything on there in a LONG ass time. The only reason I know people use it is to buy phone covers from china for like a buck with free shipping.

That's because you go to huge flea markets. The one on Métropolitain and the big ones like the one in St-Eustache are filled with people selling overpriced stuff because the booths are run by people who knows the values of games. The best ones are the small community based ones or garage sales during the summer. I live on the south shore and I can find nice stuff all the time.

Oh wow they have a new location? How far from their other location is it and is it bigger?

My problem with the other store was it was so Damn tiny. Though their prices have been pretty ugh for awhile now.

It's big. Just south of College and Spadina.

The old location is closed.

PM me for a 30 day trial of PSPLUS. Got a spare code. Remember, it only works for those who DON'T ALREADY HAVE PSPLUS. I literally just tried it, so don't yank someone else's code.

(mat)

So how screwed am I looking for a Majora's Mask New 3DS system pre-order this late in the game? I really pooched it here.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh shit, they moved to Computer Row?

Just south of it, on Spadina. The new location is very nice. Still I never buy anything given the prices, but it's much easier for them to display most of their stuff. No long huge piles of crap just laying on top of each other.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So how screwed am I looking for a Majora's Mask New 3DS system pre-order this late in the game? I really pooched it here.
If you're in Toronto not screwed at all because I ordered an extra just so I can unload it at cost to a fellow Toronto-GAFer. I'm not shipping it.

(mat)

If you're in Toronto not screwed at all because I ordered an extra just so I can unload it at cost to a fellow Toronto-GAFer. I'm not shipping it.

Ahhh. So I am screwed then. I'm in Edmonton, AB.

This sounded so promising. :'(

X-Factor

A & C games is expensive. When I went there their prices are around $65 for N64 games like Zelda OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64 StarCraft 64, etc. That is more expensive than eBay. Their new store is just outside Chinatown...too

Game Centre on Yonge and Charles near Bloor/Yonge station is my preferred independent store.

Oh wow they have a new location? How far from their other location is it and is it bigger?

My problem with the other store was it was so Damn tiny. Though their prices have been pretty ugh for awhile now.

Has anyone's GameCube adapter shipped from Amazon yet? My delivery estimate is this Wednesday to Friday, but it hasn't even been shipped. I am hoping they didn't allow too many orders, even though I got through on the first batch.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Has anyone's GameCube adapter shipped from Amazon yet? My delivery estimate is this Wednesday to Friday, but it hasn't even been shipped. I am hoping they didn't allow too many orders, even though I got through on the first batch.

I managed to get my order in today. A bit of a surprised when I came in to work as I had it shipped to work

Just had my Ike amiibo order status update from Amazon, scheduled for delivery Feb 4-5

I got an email too. Two of them (Sheik and Bowser) scheduled for Feb 5, four of them (Ike, Dedede, Toon Link, Sonic) Scheduled for Feb 20, and Mega Man still has no date. I wonder what the logic here is.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Ooh, lucky. Technically, if it ships today through Thursday, it should only take 1 day to be delivered, so Friday is still possible for me.

Well keep in mind I have prime and I selected two day shipping as this was a rush birthday gift.

Upside is at least you know people are getting orders :)

Reveirg

Fellow Montrealer here. Personally I gave up on buying retro games in stores in stores and flea markets, they're all absurdly overpriced, from my experience there are only two types of sellers around here:
1) The clueless seller: Has no idea what he's doing and just sells everything at a crazy high base price for crap nobody wants, and then doubles that base price for games that are well known/beloved (regardless of whether it's rare or not, again he's an idiot who wouldn't know).
2) The scummy seller: Actually knows the current asking price for games on eBay, but sells everything at [eBay price + $10-15], meaning there's literally no point in going to his store because you already know you'll get everything cheaper on eBay (which is already not a great price to begin with).

So, yeah... just not worth bothering. It makes me sad because these assholes will probably keep these games forever (since nobody will buy them at those prices) until they throw them away because they need more space or are getting out of that business.

Good to know I'm not just looking a the wrong places in Montreal. It's a shame there's nowhere to go for deals.

Those comptant. com can sometimes have interesting deals if you bargain, but interesting games are really rare.

fooish101

Any of you have any experience getting a PC built through NCIX? Ordered it on the 3rd and it's still not shipped >_>

I got my current rig built from them back in August. It took 3 weeks for them to build and deliver but that was due to me accidentally ordering RAM that was out of stock. I'd send their support a quick message to see what's up with your order.

On the bright side when I did get my pc from them it was nicely done with decent cable management so hopefully you will get yours soon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A & C games is expensive. When I went there their prices are around $65 for N64 games like Zelda OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64 StarCraft 64, etc. That is more expensive than eBay. Their new store is just outside Chinatown...too

Game Centre on Yonge and Charles near Bloor/Yonge station is my preferred independent store.

Game Centre has very little selection for retro stuff now, is the problem. Years ago they were go-to for that, but anything more retro than a generation is pretty limited now. Iceman can be A&C expensive, but they have a good selection. Game Mania in Bloor West has a great selection, with prices generally a little better than A&C.

23qwerty

I got my current rig built from them back in August. It took 3 weeks for them to build and deliver but that was due to me accidentally ordering RAM that was out of stock. I'd send their support a quick message to see what's up with your order.

On the bright side when I did get my pc from them it was nicely done with decent cable management so hopefully you will get yours soon.

Yeah I'd been talking with them for a while, I got an email that it shipped almost immediately after posting that though!

i-Jest

I dunno where you can find flea markets with normal prices for old games, but that just doesn't happen here (Montreal).

If I go to a flea market, all I see are 20$ NES games with a huge *RARE* sticker on them and 30$ SNES games for pretty standard shitty stuff.

It's just absurd - the market for consoles and games pre-PS2 is inflating like crazy for some reason. Anything post PS2 is ridiculously cheap (I regularly see PS2 games for 5$, for example) but anything before is stupidly expensive.

Sigh.

Do these cheap ps2 games include the Xenosaga games?

Anth0ny

Anyone have any experience with EB Games gift cards? I just received $110 worth of EB Games giftcards... weeks after I just dropped $260 on a Majora's Mask n3DS on ebgames.ca.

Does anyone have any idea if I'd be able to apply those gift cards to a pre-order that I already put in?

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow to ask, but I figured I might as well ask this thread.

23qwerty

Anyone have any experience with EB Games gift cards? I just received $110 worth of EB Games giftcards... weeks after I just dropped $260 on a Majora's Mask n3DS on ebgames.ca.

Does anyone have any idea if I'd be able to apply those gift cards to a pre-order that I already put in?

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow to ask, but I figured I might as well ask this thread.

As long as you haven't paid for the preorder already I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

What could they possibly be?

15 -> 30 -> 50% on electronics and 70% on everything else. Like every single thing they have on clearance.

I have an obsessive personality, and my mind tends to sit on a couple of things and go over and over them ad nauseam.

Because I have gift cards to get rid of, I'm fearfully and anxiously awaiting the sales to make sure I get rid of them in time and for at least a bit of a sale.

I'm hoping for at least 15-20% off controllers.

Wait.. Did I miss these coming back!?...
Where have you all been getting Amiibos from online? Amazon seems to perpetually be out of stock and don't even get me started on Rosalina.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'll take that piece of sexy off your hands at the earliest convenience.

Then I'll sing your praises on the TTC and at City Hall.

chronosic

Are there any good deals on external HDs going on? I'm going to need one to attach to my Wii U when Metroid Prime Trilogy drops on Thursday.

jholmes

I'm hoping for at least 15-20% off controllers.

On the one hand Target could mark down controllers 5% or 10% and they'd still sell because right now new controllers rarely go on sale.

On the other hand I bought an Xbone controller and a Wii U pro controller at Target half off already, so there's at least a precedent.

(mat)

I'll take that piece of sexy off your hands at the earliest convenience.

Then I'll sing your praises on the TTC and at City Hall.

This makes me sadder. Anyone else have any idea where I can find a MM "New" 3DS preorder in Edmonton? I really shit the bed on this one.

Sora_N

Wait.. Did I miss these coming back!?...
Where have you all been getting Amiibos from online? Amazon seems to perpetually be out of stock and don't even get me started on Rosalina.

It was in stock for very short amounts of time.

No Canadian retailers are taking new preorder at the moment... For Amiibo

Anyone got any advice for selling CEs? I've been trying for half a month to sell one in order to get some cash for the new 3DS and it seems like no one is interested at a reasonable price.(Got lowballed for $50) I've tried RFD, Kijiji, eBay, etc.

Collector's edition of KH3D. Despite the rabid fan base, No dice.

yeah, they can be finnicky. the value might be there, but there needs to be demand too. I'm actually debating pre-ordering a regular Majoras Mask and keeping my LE sealed for a year or two. Could be worth something, or there could be no demand at all and i just ended up buying two copies lol. Plus, I do kind of want the figure for myself...

Top Bottom