• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Stage On

Remember that time I stopped buying full priced new games when it hit $70? $75 isn't making me want to change my mind on this.

How is this not severely affecting sales. Are we the only people who feel like this?

Sadly it's starting to seem like it. I mean it's kind of silly too pay full price when everything seems to get a hefty $20 price cut in a month or two tops other then Nintendo stuff.

Too bad for me that I wasn't buying most console games until they got to $20 or less so with the higher base cost it's taking them much longer to drop down to that price point as they tend to linger around $40 and then $30 much much longer.

i-Jest

Madness

Remember that time I stopped buying full priced new games when it hit $70? $75 isn't making me want to change my mind on this.

How is this not severely affecting sales. Are we the only people who feel like this?

It's funny but look how quickly they raised price just enough to break even now, but didn't mind having it be $5ish more than normal when the dollar was around 90 cents.

This won't bode well for retailers or companies in Canada. We don't live in the 90's anymore. Plus, unlike Australia, we aren't limited by geography. I'd rather just straight up buy games from the US, from their Craigslist, their Amazon, their used game stores.

Prices drop so fast for games these days, just waiting a couple weeks to a month and you can get even AAA games at half price (Nintendo aside).

People still impulse buy. I find it odd that people fuss over the price of the console. Look at the brisk used preowned console business,both in store and online private sales, whereas those wanting only brand new consoles seem to sit on the fence for months waiting for a mere $20 price drop on a $400 system.

But I never hear anything about complaints of the game prices outside of GAF - and even used RECENT releases are only like $5-$10 less than new. Someone is buying these games and not caring whatsoever about price.

If it does hit 80, then I will stop buying games in canada day one lol, no way I can justify spending 90$+ on a single title.

Digital sales will save us if retail prices go up. $35 for a 2 month old AA or AAA game is fine by me (witness the recent Xbox one sale). I can wait.

i-Jest

I've got a backlog to serve me when the PRICE APOCALYPSE comes. I'll wait for games to drop in price. If I REALLY want it I'll go digital. Lets hope games won't be to expensive on PSN/XBLA/Eshop when the dollar becomes a shadow of its former self.

Can we also expect Amiibo`s to go up by $5?

jholmes

Seems kinda normal but I didn't talk to anyone and could be different store to store.

This was at the PC in downtown Vancouver

1597618_10153136651122664_1797296798257950096_o.jpg

I got a laugh out of a $60 bundle screaming "OVER $54 IN VALUE!" It refers to the extras of course. Still funny though.

Sora_N

I've got a backlog to serve me when the PRICE APOCALYPSE comes. I'll wait for games to drop in price. If I REALLY want it I'll go digital. Lets hope games won't be to expensive on PSN/XBLA/Eshop when the dollar becomes a shadow of its former self.

Can we also expect Amiibo`s to go up by $5?

Price could go up $1-2. I don't think it would be $5

Stage On

The PRICE APOCALYPSE is nearly upon us. Not feeling good about E3 deals this year. Jesus. Someone needs to dethrone Harper and get the dollar back on track.

Fuzzy, are you among us? You are the chosen one.

Urg the E3 deals is the only thing keeping me going at this point.

I'm still pissed at all the games that get announced after e3 but come out before the next one since I can't get as good a discount on them

If I had no E3 deals at all that would drastically cut back the amount of games I get overall to only a handful :(

Too bad EBGames does not keep your pre-order price locked in. They have Street Fight V pre-order at 59.99$. By the time it comes out it might be 20$ more. Oh well, it should be the price we'll get it at from this year E3 deals! *cries*

diaspora

The PRICE APOCALYPSE is nearly upon us. Not feeling good about E3 deals this year. Jesus. Someone needs to dethrone Harper and get the dollar back on track.

Fuzzy, are you among us? You are the chosen one.
Harper is part of the reason as to why the dollar got so strong in the first place. The upside of a crippled dollar and a strong USD is manufacturing should start to pick up. To be honest though there isn't really a whole lot any party from any political stripe can do about the CAD until the Saudis stop being dicks about oil prices.

Yasumi

Banned
So Canadian prices are getting pretty much equivalent to Japanese prices now? I'd might as well just import everything, with the currencies so close.

Jinto

Too bad EBGames does not keep your pre-order price locked in. They have Street Fight V pre-order at 59.99$. By the time it comes out it might be 20$ more. Oh well, it should be the price we'll get it at from this year E3 deals! *cries*

I did not know this. Even if you deposit the whole amount? Good thing I don't have anything pre-ordered from them right now.

Sora_N

Oh boy, Eb games charged my card for the full Shiek and Megeman amiibo order despite only Shiek having shipped. *sigh*

The guy took $10 off my in-store pickup even though it was $5 for Toon LInk and $5 for Megaman (not out today).

I hope they fucked up and I get $5 or $10 off Megaman too but whatever lol.

Roto13

Just curious, how many people here actually paid $70 for a non LE game last year?

I know I didn't.

Nope. The closest I came was buying Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros. U for $65 each. And I made money on Smash Bros. because I wrote a guide for it.

I would have bought Bayonetta 1 and 2 for Wii U separately for, say, $20 and $60, so it was still a good value as far as I was concerned.

Fularu

Banned
The only games I pay 75$ for are Blizzard games

Because those physical CEs don't last forever.

The rest can eat their price and choke on it.

Harusame

Hmm, yeah. I don't think I'll be willing to pay $70+ that are not limited/collectors editions of games. Nintendo games I don't mind pay at that price since I know I will get most of moneys worth, but for the case for PS4 & AAA games, very select few will I be willing to buy...such as Kingdoms Hearts.

In other news, I do have some news in terms of how Target is proceeding in the liquidation phase. In the case of my store, the 'liquidation' phase has occurred, however the liquidators have not entered the store yet. It has been stated that they may come in about a week or two. A number of store have stopped receiving truck shipments from the distribution center, but my store will be receiving multiple trucks for the next few weeks so that DC and warehouses can clear out. What else, all backrooms are cleared and there is no backstocking allowed. Other than that, I don't know when liquidation sales will begin.

Sorry to detract, but I do just want to show my current collection of amiibo that I posted in the amiibo thread just to share with you guys. One is unlike the others...
Vpit9BT.jpg

i-Jest

Just curious, how many people here actually paid $70 for a non LE game last year?

I know I didn't.

Bought Pikmin 3 for $67 on Boxing day at Walmart. In my defense it's a very difficult game to come by in the physical without paying scalper prices.

I know I didn't.

I sure as hell didn't

I'm not sure if this'll severely change my spending habits, or if it means I'm gonna be waiting an extra few months for Mortal Kombat X to drop to $50

I wonder how the casual gaming audience here will react to new STANDARD EDITION games costing $74.99. That just sounds fucking absurd now.

jholmes

Bought Pikmin 3 for $67 on Boxing day at Walmart. In my defense it's a very difficult game to come by in the physical without paying scalper prices.

If I knew people had such a hard time getting Pikmin 3 at the time I'd have picked up the $30 liquidation copies at Target last spring.

De_Legend

Banned
Hmm, yeah. I don't think I'll be willing to pay $70+ that are not limited/collectors editions of games. Nintendo games I don't mind pay at that price since I know I will get most of moneys worth, but for the case for PS4 & AAA games, very select few will I be willing to buy...such as Kingdoms Hearts.

In other news, I do have some news in terms of how Target is proceeding in the liquidation phase. In the case of my store, the 'liquidation' phase has occurred, however the liquidators have not entered the store yet. It has been stated that they may come in about a week or two. A number of store have stopped receiving truck shipments from the distribution center, but my store will be receiving multiple trucks for the next few weeks so that DC and warehouses can clear out. What else, all backrooms are cleared and there is no backstocking allowed. Other than that, I don't know when liquidation sales will begin.

Sorry to detract, but I do just want to show my current collection of amiibo that I posted in the amiibo thread just to share with you guys. One is unlike the others...
Vpit9BT.jpg

Are you guys selling them at one point? Or keeping them forever?

I am intrigued.

Top Bottom