• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Comparing this thread without amiibo/shipping (the latter which is considerably less toxic, and much more relevant to actual deals as opposed to who managed to score a $13 or maybe $10 figurine on a blue moon) talk to stuff like RFD/Game Deals Canada, etc. is a head scratcher (especially considering you can facilitate discussion on any similar deal site). Equating amiibo talk to other recurring topics of discussion is kind of disingenuous as well, considering it is it's own monster altogether. I've yet to hear a benefit of consolidating both discussions in this thread, seeing as it is only really a detriment to regular deal discussion and discoverability, which is I guess the primary purpose of this thread.

And like Gonzo said, I'm not sure why this thread has to be super active whether there are deals or not. Kind of a purposeless concern. So yeah, I can't really think a logical reason at this point where this thread getting a couple hundred posts in an afternoon and drowning out deals in favor of seeing who was able to snag a regular priced figurine is a favorable outcome really.

At the very least if the mods do nothing I'd like to take this moment to encourage people to try and use the NEW DEAL highlighting more.

Yeah, one. Thanks for the contribution.

Oh fuck, you exposed me for helping people out and talking about deals! Taking things out of context is super amazing. Wish more people did that.

I have nothing against discussing Amiibos. I have nothing against any and all kind of discussions. I don't even own this thread, I'm just voicing something a lot of people are voicing and that concern is that there are dedicated threads for dedicated things. There's a dedicated thread for Amiibo, there's a dedicated thread for buy and sell and trade, and more.

C'mon Fuzzy, you're a cool cat.

Anth0ny

There should absolutely be a Canada Amiibo Discussion thread.

Amiibo discussion doesn't really fall under "deals". They're more like... sightings. "I found X amiibo at Y store! X amiibo is sold out already! Retailer exclusive amiibo is impossible to find in Toronto!" Doesn't really strike me as deals or even discussion that is related to deals.

I'd make a thread but I'm bad at making threads.

The shipping discussion is at least related to the deals. Most of the shipping discussion comes up around the release of a big game, most of which we have pre-ordered during the Future Shop E3 deals. It's nice to know if FS actually ships these games day one, of if they're going to send them to us days, or even sometimes weeks, late. Lets us know whether or not it's worth doing the same the next year
fucking hell $75 games of course it's worth it

GG-Duo

Went to the Richmond Centre and Pacific Centre Sony Stores today. Some good deals.

PlayStation 3 controllers are $13.
PlayStation 3 BD Remote control $5
PlayStation Vita 4gb memory card $7.
Vita pouches, cradle, and flip case were also on sale. $10

I think PSTV was on sale as well.

Not much else in the store was on sale though.

Sealtest

Club nintendo stuff updated spend your coins!

Oh god i'm like a kid in a candy store I just want everything!

I'll be getting the messenger bag, Kid icarus urpsing, wonderful 101 and maybe a few other games.

So before we all freak out there is no basis for these rumours about Future Shop right? This is the first I've heard of it.

I just heard it from an employee at EB Games when I picked up Toon Link, so nothing credible really. Doubt it myself, more posting just to see if anyone else had heard it to see if there was any credibility to it. Judging by the replies here, probably none at all!

djblue89

If any of you want to sell some of the games that are currently available Club Nintendo

I am looking for the following:
EarthBound
Wii U Party
Wonderful 101
NES Remix

PM me with prices

Kilvin

I just heard it from an employee at EB Games when I picked up Toon Link, so nothing credible really. Doubt it myself, more posting just to see if anyone else had heard it to see if there was any credibility to it. Judging by the replies here, probably none at all!

Hoo boy.

Future Shop's game section has looked awful for weeks. It's been terrible ever since they decided to keep their games behind the counter and use flimsy little sheets of paper in lock boxes.

Now there is older stock that they actually have available with zero representation on the shelves as well.

It's no surprise some people may get the impression that they are getting out of gaming. I highly doubt that is true though.

They probably make quite a bit from online sales alone.

Yeah I just don't see it happening. Doesn't make sense. There are so many products they sell that don't look like they move (they sell fuxking guitars for some reason), I can't imagine games are the first one to cut.

This sounds, at worst, like an EB employee trying to keep customers shopping there

Future Shop's game section has looked awful for weeks. It's been terrible ever since they decided to keep their games behind the counter and use flimsy little sheets of paper in lock boxes.

Now there is older stock that they actually have available with zero representation on the shelves as well.

It's no surprise some people may get the impression that they are getting out of gaming. I highly doubt that is true though.

They probably make quite a bit from online sales alone.

Thats silly, why would they do that, were they having Theft problems?

Thats silly, why would they do that, were they having Theft problems?

I guess so.

As someone who worked retail I know theft can get really bad so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a problem. At least they aren't gutting cases for representation.

Honestly though, I always hated keeping product dead. The shelves always ended up looking terrible and we moved less product as a result.

SickBoy

I don't understand the resistance to a "Canadian Amiibo Hunter" thread. What's it going to harm?

This thread might get quieter, but it won't disappear... and the Amiibo thread will obviously be busy. I think the key point is that there's so much volume on that one topic that it can sustain its own thread.

I don't understand the resistance to a "Canadian Amiibo Hunter" thread. What's it going to harm?

This thread might get quieter, but it won't disappear... and the Amiibo thread will obviously be busy. I think the key point is that there's so much volume on that one topic that it can sustain its own thread.

Haha we've been almost successful in deviating from this conversation like three times now. Just drop it. For what it's worth, I think there was more activity yesterday bitching about amiibos in a single day than there ever has been discussing them. It's not a big epidemic.

Pluuuuuus, all of this discussion is now moot. It's up to a mod at this point. So lets get back to bitching about future shop, and complaining about how there are no deals.

If we are going to ban any Amiibo talk here that is Canadian retailer related, then ALL talk about a new release and where it is available etc. should be banned as well.

So when the New 3DS XL comes out, Majora's Mask 3D, The Order, Evolve, etc.

Don't talk about them unless its on sale. Right? Because that is the precedent being set here.

Only comments if it is a sale on something, if it is regular price or looking for an item etc. then it has no place being here.

That is the message being sent by many of you.

I am fine with that, but it shouldn't be JUST AMIIBO because that is what everyone is after right now. No talk of the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL popping up again because it is just at regular price. Post in the thread for that, etc.

New consoles, new games, new whatever, not allowed here unless it is on sale.

All in or nothing folks, you can't attack the Amiibo talk just because that is what is the focus right now. The New 3DS XL, Majora's Mask 3D and The Order will be next.

Tik-Tok

Like I've said, just switch Discussion and Deals in the thread title.

Except it doesn't seem like many people WANT to discuss Amiibos specifically in this thread.

I for one have stopped checking this thread as regularly cause it's a pain in the ass to sift through Amiibo talk.

If we are going to ban any Amiibo talk here that is Canadian retailer related, then ALL talk about a new release and where it is available etc. should be banned as well.

So when the New 3DS XL comes out, Majora's Mask 3D, The Order, Evolve, etc.

Don't talk about them unless its on sale. Right? Because that is the precedent being set here.

Only comments if it is a sale on something, if it is regular price or looking for an item etc. then it has no place being here.

That is the message being sent by many of you.

I am fine with that, but it shouldn't be JUST AMIIBO because that is what everyone is after right now. No talk of the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL popping up again because it is just at regular price. Post in the thread for that, etc.

New consoles, new games, new whatever, not allowed here unless it is on sale.

All in or nothing folks, you can't attack the Amiibo talk just because that is what is the focus right now. The New 3DS XL, Majora's Mask 3D and The Order will be next.

That other talk isn't one subject dominating the thread though.

(mat)

It's really funny to me that the only Amiibo discussion in this thread for the last few pages has been people discussing about discussion about Amiibos. CanadaGAF, you silly.

Except it doesn't seem like many people WANT to discuss Amiibos specifically in this thread.

I for one have stopped checking this thread as regularly cause it's a pain in the ass to sift through Amiibo talk.

That other talk isn't one subject dominating the thread though.

Yes it does. When the PS4 and Xbox One released that was the majority of the thread. When a new game releases shipping and such dominates the thread. etc etc.

When something new comes out, it dominates the thread. So since Wave 3 just came out, it is dominating the thread. So if we are going to do it for Amiibo then it should be for anything.

Unless it is a deal then it doesn't belong is the precedent being set.

21/23 posts on this page are off topic, and only one mentions Amiibo in a practical sense.
Look at the past three pages, your mind will be blown.

That's the hilarious part. This whole discussion is the only TRULY off topic discussion that's been brought up in a long time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I read this thread mostly for the discussion. If I just want to see a clear list of deals I have Twitter (GameDealsCanada, among many people I follow), CAG, RFD.

Mikey Jr.

I think Futureshop does have a problem with theft atleast in my store.

When you go to the ps4 section, the biggest games don't actually have the game on the shelf.

There are empty game boxes that say "ask assistance for stock on destiny" or something like that.

Seems like they keep popular games on the backroom. Was never like this 6 months ago.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

When you go to the ps4 section, the biggest games don't actually have the game on the shelf.

There are empty game boxes that say "ask assistance for stock on destiny" or something like that.

Seems like they keep popular games on the backroom. Was never like this 6 months ago.
BB has been doing that for ages and I imagine they just applied that company wide at some point.

(mat)

Can confirm. Worked at Future Shop. Crazy theft problems. Saw a co-worker get box-cutter'd once for catching a guy stealing a Logitech universal remote.

Future Shop and Target both have the worst customer service.

Can also confirm.

Can confirm. Worked at Future Shop. Crazy theft problems. Saw a co-worker get box-cutter'd once for catching a guy stealing a Logitech universal remote.

Man, I guess the prices on Logitech's remotes are high enough to warrant physical violence huh?

It seems like the gaming sections of FS/BB are shrinking though, unless my imagination is playing tricks on me.

vulva

Lucky for you, there aren't many deals to miss

I just wanted to mention that this is the worst argument. Because there aren't many deals doesn't mean people should just post whatever they want. If I came in here talking about movies I liked and when someone called me out on it being spam in the thread, should I say "LOL WHAT DEALS THO"?

I just wanted to mention that this is the worst argument. Because there aren't many deals doesn't mean people should just post whatever they want. If I came in here talking about movies I liked and when someone called me out on it being spam in the thread, should I say "LOL WHAT DEALS THO"?

I don't anyone would lose their minds if you made a post about the movies you love lol. It might be a bit odd considering it's coming completely out of nowhere, but you don't be pillaged.

kennah

Went to the Richmond Centre and Pacific Centre Sony Stores today. Some good deals.

PlayStation 3 controllers are $13.
PlayStation 3 BD Remote control $5
PlayStation Vita 4gb memory card $7.
Vita pouches, cradle, and flip case were also on sale. $10

I think PSTV was on sale as well.

Not much else in the store was on sale though.
Thanks for posting this. I asked a couple pages ago and it got lost.
Club nintendo stuff updated spend your coins!

Oh god i'm like a kid in a candy store I just want everything!

I'll be getting the messenger bag, Kid icarus urpsing, wonderful 101 and maybe a few other games.
Gah! Still haven't found my 3ds box. Gotta get on that tonight. I guess it's desktop calendar for me, would never afford anything else unless i go buy a wii u right now.

(mat)

It seems like the gaming sections of FS/BB are shrinking though, unless my imagination is playing tricks on me.

For Future Shop, the Gaming and Movies sections are typically considered one section. The people who work in that area do not make commission like the regular sales guys in the store. There's very little markup on games and systems, too.

Last I heard, they were phasing movies out all together. They're planning to go online for all movies. My information is undoubtedly outdated, as it's been awhile since I was with the company, but that was the last I heard, as they moved our movies section down from 6 isles to 2.

It would not surprise me if Games followed.

Megasoum

Banned
About the Club Nintendo Stuff...

Here's what I want

Super Punch-Out 200
Pilotwings 200
Super Metroid 200
Earthbound 250
LTTP 250

I'm sitting at 695 coins right now so that's not gonna happen lol. Priorities are Earthbound and LTTP so that's 500 gone.

I'll get myself over 700 coins to both geth Gold and also let me afford one of the 3 200 coins games...ugh decision decision.

Savitar

For me I don't mind much of the talk in this thread, the only reason I'm against Amiibo's being here is because they simply dominate the whole conversation and pretty much bury everything else.

vulva

I don't anyone would lose their minds if you made a post about the movies you love lol. It might be a bit odd considering it's coming completely out of nowhere, but you don't be pillaged.
Kinda missing the point here. The lack of deals has nothing to do with amiibo talk being anymore more or less obnoxious.

Also I don't get how quality control discussion is considered off topic. Let's say there was an influx of issues with threads in gaming section here, would a thread to discuss those issues need to be placed in off topic or in the area that the relevant parties are more likely to see it?

Anony

i got my gc adapter
big thanks to Llyranor for offloading his order to me

great day to work from home due to snow

Kinda missing the point here. The lack of deals has nothing to do with amiibo talk being anymore more or less obnoxious.

Why not? The whole point people are making is that the only reason this thread appears to be swallowing up other conversations is because there aren't many other conversations to have. I brought up selective memories once and I'll do it again; Black Friday, Boxing Day, or any other time a big deal was around, this thread was on it. And it was IMPOSSIBLE to miss. It was the WHOLE discussion. And it it wasn't the whole discussion, it certainly wasn't difficult to take part. And the amiibo talk isn't even THAT bad! People saying it's hard to keep up yada yada, that's bullshit. This thread normally operates on like one or two pages full a day. Obviously there are cases when that can become more (or less), but on average. That is WELL under the threshold of "impossible to keep up". People aren't even fighting to have other conversations, they aren't saying "guys, I want to talk about this but there's too much amiibo talk". They're literally complaining for the sake of complaining. PLUS, by the sheer definition of this thread in the OP, amiibo discussion isn't strictly off topic! It just isn't. It's about gaming, and about Canada. If fucking Rogers Video suddenly decided to open up more game rental stores again, you'd best be certain this is where I'm coming to post about it.

Also I don't get how quality control discussion is considered off topic. Let's say there was an influx of issues with threads in gaming section here, would a thread to discuss those issues need to be placed in off topic or in the area that the relevant parties are more likely to see it?

It's because, at the end of the day, its not our place to decide if it's off topic. As someone said paaaages ago, if someone has a problem with what's going on in a thread, contact a mod to check it out. This has been done here, FYI.

Otherwise you get this. Pages and pages of white noise between differing opinions.

Top Bottom